[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Big meal before or after workout?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: zeus.jpg (8KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
zeus.jpg
8KB, 238x212px
Big meal before or after workout?
>>
I mean if you're trying to bulk you should be eating 4-6 times a day. 1.5-2 hours before you start your workout and immediately afterwards.
>>
>>35165124
Yes.
>>
>>35165136
>le anabolic windows meme
>>
I don't know how you people eat before the gym, I would fall right the fuck to sleep and get nauseous if I did that.
>>
I go for 30 grams protein and 40 grams carbs 1-2 hours before and 40/60 immediately after. I just read it on a bodybuilding.com article and know it's not really that important anyway
>>
>>35165124
I go with how I know my body will react: I can't eat a big meal then do something besides lie down for at least an hour afterward.

I tend to work out in small blocks every day:

>eat breakfast
>class
>lift for a bit
>snack
>class
>lift for only like 20 minutes
>row team practice
>dinner
>maybe row or lift a little later on
>>
One hour before the gym.
>>
Neither.

/smallmeals/
>>
>>35165124
>Not doing both

C'MON
>>
>>35165124
Yes
>>
>>35165124
Man why dont you just fucking eat when you want? You plan on competing anytime soon brah?
>>
Before and after bruh ofc
>>
>>35165124
i eat some carbs some proteins like an hour before the gym, and then go all out 2kish calories after the gym

i only gym 2-3 times a week and lift heavy ass weights... so i "plan" the bulk of my weekly calories an hour before the gym and right afterwards
>>
>>35165146
get use to it
>>
>>35166031
dont ask advice on fit cos u get people like this who have no idea what they're tlaking about give u tips
>>
It'd be better after the workout. Before, your body would be too busy digesting the meal. Afterwards you'll refuel it.

Also, you'll have the anabolic window (WHICH LASTS MORE THAN 20 HOURS) to make some gains.
>>
File: lmao rich paina.jpg (145KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lmao rich paina.jpg
145KB, 1000x1000px
>>35165285
C'MON
>>
>>35165145
It's not a meme though, friend
>>
>>35165124
I intake about 400-500 kcals before a workout, usually no sooner than an hour before, and then I eat my big meal sometime after, depending on prep time. no big hurry.

I do drink bcaa's during workouts though. perhaps bro-sciencey, but they don't cost much, and it certainly isn't hurting my performance, anyhow.
>>
>>35165124
>not eating an entire roasted Satyr prior to and after lifting with Atlas

Not gonna make it Zeus
>>
Nursing student here. A carbohydrate heavy meal the night before is best for a high-intensity work out (ie, the "pregame meal"), but having a meal afterwords is more helpful for gaining muscle mass and repairing any damage that may have occurred during the workout. Glucose "spares" protein, meaning that having a meal with slightly more carbohydrates than protein after a workout is best, that way your body can properly utilize the protein while the glucose can be processed back into your muscles' glycogen stores.
TL;DR: after, so that you can get your "mad gainz" faster.
>>
>>35166680
It has been scientifically proven to be a meme at least outside of Arnold-level bodybuilding, pal
>>
>>35165124
after
>>
2 scoops whey and 650ml of soy/almond milk during work out.

Big meal after a very intense work out, like 45-1+ hour after when you're in the right mental state and not "DUR HUR I MUST GORGE ON SHIT".
>>
>>35166791
You sounds less retarded than most of /fit/, so I'm gonna ask a question.

What sorts of meals are best for muscle building, after the workout? High amounts of carbs an protein? Like fruit, bread, eggs and bacon? Or would that be too much fat?

Also, good luck with nursing, nurses are super important.
>>
>>35167165
No fats as it slows down absorbtion.

Go with carbs from rice and lean protein like chicken or beef. Feel free to add some raw honey for taste

Not the nurse but she is spot on and this is what i persnally use.
>>
>>35167220
>fats slows down absorption
This is totally broscience. Fats are literally the caloric input that requires less caloric expenditure during digestion, and that are more easily "absorbed".
>>
>>35167165
>>35167165
It's best to get a good amount of carbs 1-3 hours after the work out to replenish glycogen stores, and so that you're not using your own muscles to fuel cellular metabolism. First to go in a workout is glucose, then fat, then amino acids from muscle. If you have a low body fat percentage, you need that immediate carb intake so that you don't end up losing muscle mass. A higher carbohydrate intake will help with gains, as it will act as a padding for the protein you're eating- it'll give your cells something to use for energy while the protein goes to building more muscle.
No, I don't think that would be "too much" fat, because you do need fat to stay healthy, however bacon isn't ideal, especially for the fat:protein ratio. Eggs are good, especially eggs and toast. You get pure protein from the eggs, and a good amount of carbs from the toast. My nutrition teacher always hocked eating toast with peanut butter, but desu that's not enough protein to do too much in the way of gains.
Fruit is good because its sugars are metabolized quickly, and it's actually best to eat fruit BEFORE a work out, so your body has a good supply of blood glucose so it doesn't tap into your muscles for energy, potentially resulting in a net loss.
Hope that all made sense!!! And thank you, nurses are definitely more important than some people give them credit for.
>>
>>35167230
Mostly true. In digestion, fat is broken down into triglycerides and is released into the blood stream, and from there it finds where it needs to go/be stored. Plus, like I said, the body needs fat to function properly (nerves are coated in specialized fat cells!) but it needs monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats; bacon will provide unsaturated fat that's harmful for the body.
>>
>>35167302
Saturated fats* whoops
>>
>>35167220
Hold on, aren't fats able to be burned as a fuel as well? But, ok, I'll calm down on fats until a few hours after a workout.

>>35167252
That was really detailed. Thanks! I'll probably steer clear of bacon then, except as a snack itself (right now, I'm bulking, and probably will be for a year. 250 cals over maintenance, and almost no junk food).

Eggs and toast is one of my favourites, so no problems there...

But, thanks! I'll start drawing up some protein/carb meals, then.

One last question, I promise. If I were to eat fruit (apple, orange or banana) before a workout, how long before? Does it matter? Because I've definitely felt tired during workouts, and I just realised I usually don't eat in the hours before I workout.
>>
>>35167324
If I were you, I would eat a low fiber fruit so that you have a ready supply of blood glucose. It definitely matters how long before, and there's actually a formula for it.
>0.45g carbs per pound body weight 1-2 hours before activity
>0.9g carbs per pound body weight 2-3 hours before activity
I have my old textbook splayed out on the bed right now(those formulas are directly from it), and it's stressing how important it is for athletes to get enough carbohydrates, as it can increase endurance. It also stresses not eating more than 20g of protein at a time, because (depending on your body weight) that's about the average that a person can use at a time. So those super-mega-protein shakes really aren't helping anything, and can lead to amino acid imbalances and kidney issues.
Definitely eat at least 1 hour before your workout, and you should start to feel better.
>>
>>35167377
Oh, awesome. Thanks anon! I'll follow that formula.

As for the protein thing, I don't bother with shakes, so my protein comes from food. Because of that, I don't really bother counting grams of protein. I try not to eat more than 80 g's per sitting (I weigh over 80 kg) and get 129 g's of protein daily, but apart from that, I don't really count macros much at all.

But seriously, thanks for the help man.
>>
>>35167417
Sounds like you're on the right track with that, so I wouldn't worry about it.
You're welcome!
>>
>>35166245
No, I'm not going to do that.
>>
File: 1409501525728.jpg (20KB, 225x257px) Image search: [Google]
1409501525728.jpg
20KB, 225x257px
>>35166791
>Nursing student here
>>
>>35166791
Physical therapist student here.

>nursing
>respect

Pick one brah
>>
>>35166680
well proved

you sure showed us doubters
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.