[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you eating shrimp? Serving per 100 grams: Fat:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: shrimp.jpg (3KB, 151x128px) Image search: [Google]
shrimp.jpg
3KB, 151x128px
Why aren't you eating shrimp?

Serving per 100 grams:
Fat: 0.3 grams
Carbs: 0.2 grams
Protein: 24 grams

Calcium: 7%
Iron: 2%
Magnesium: 9%
selenium 102%
vitamin B12 78%
protein 52%
phosphorus 50%
choline 36%
copper 32%
iodine 31%
vitamin B3 19%
zinc 17%
vitamin E 17%
vitamin B6 16%
omega-3 fats 14%
pantothenic acid 12%
vitamin A 11%
>>
Health Benefits

Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Support

We don't usually think about seafood as a source of antioxidants, but shrimp features at least three unique antioxidants in its nutrient composition: the xanthophyll carotenoid called astaxanthin, and the minerals selenium and copper.

Astaxanthin

Astaxanthin is the primary color pigment in many shrimp, and it helps provide their tissue with its red and orange shades. While many reddish-orange foods get their color from other carotenoids (or from flavonoids), shrimp are especially concentrated in this one particular type of carotenoid. (Astaxanthin often accounts for at least two-thirds of all carotenoids in shrimp.) It is possible for a 4-ounce serving of shrimp to contain 1-4 milligrams of astaxanthin. In animal studies, astaxanthin has been shown to provide antioxidant support to both the nervous system and musculoskeletal system. In addition, some animal studies have shown decreased risk of colon cancer to be associated with astaxanthin intake, as well as decreased risk of certain diabetes-related problems. Under natural conditions, shrimp get astaxanthin through their diet, by consuming smaller organisms that contain this carotenoid, including algae and zooplankton. When farmed, the astaxanthin content of shrimp depends on the composition of their feed. Both synthetic forms of astaxanthin and naturally occurring forms of astaxanthin have been used in shrimp farming, and the use of synthetic astaxanthin remains a topic of ongoing controversy. In general, when purchasing farmed shrimp, we believe that it makes sense to select shrimp that have consumed natural and plentiful amounts of astaxanthin from natural dietary sources including marine algae and zooplankton.
>>
Selenium and Copper

In the world of antioxidants, few enzymes are more important in our body than glutathione peroxidase (GPO). GPO helps protect most of our body systems from unwanted damage by oxygen-containing molecules. It is critical in body systems like the lungs, where exposure to these molecules is especially high. GPO is an enzyme that cannot function without the mineral selenium.

At 56 micrograms in every 4 ounces, shrimp is an excellent source of this antioxidant mineral. Shrimp is not only rich in selenium; research studies show that the selenium found in shrimp can be well-absorbed into the human body. In one study, we've seen an estimate of about 80-85% for total selenium absorption from this shellfish. In addition to risk of problems involving lung function, selenium deficiency has been shown to increase our risk of heart failure and other forms of cardiovascular disease, as well as for other problems including type 2 diabetes, compromised cognitive function, and depression.

Copper is also classified as an antioxidant mineral, and one of its key roles in our health is related to the function of an enzyme called copper-zinc superoxide dismutase (SOD). SOD is found in the major fluid compartment of our cells (called the cytosol) and it is known to play a major role in regulation of oxygen metabolism and prevention of oxidative stress. Shrimp is our only fish at WHFoods to qualify as a "very good" source of copper in our rating system and it stands out in this respect as a source of antioxidant minerals. Not be overlooked, of course, is the fact that we also rank shrimp as a good source of zinc—the second mineral required for effective SOD function.
>>
Because it's pretty expensive around here.
>>
Protein and Peptide Support

At nearly 26 grams per 4-ounce serving, shrimp ranks as a very good source of protein at WHFoods, and provides over half of the Daily Value (DV) in each serving. In fact, among all WHFoods, shrimp ranks as our 8th best source of protein. The protein richness of shrimp is one of the reasons this shellfish is relied on in so many different culinary traditions.

When the protein in fish (or any other food) is broken down during digestion, smaller protein fragments called peptides are formed. (Peptides are chains of amino acids. Proteins are too, but they are longer chains and more complicated in their structure.) Some relatively short peptides—consisting of only 10-25 amino acids—have been found to be present in partially digested shrimp proteins and appear able to stimulate release of the hormone cholecystokinin (CCK) from cells that line our intestinal tract. Release of CCK is important for many reasons, including the role of CCK in regulating appetite. Our feeling of satiety (lack of appetite) is partly related to the levels of CCK in our digestive tract. By helping trigger release of CCK, shrimp peptides may play a role in helping us feel full. In the long run, this feeling of satiety may also be an advantage in helping to decrease our risk of obesity. Research on shrimp peptides and satiety is in its early stage, and largely limited to animal studies at this point. But we expect to see increasing interest in this area of shrimp and health.
>>
>>35161281
/thread
>>
Other Health Benefits

At only 7 calories per shrimp, we can eat a relatively large amount of this shellfish without using up too many of our daily calories. For example, a person eating 1,800 calories per day could consume 20 shrimp and only be "spending" about 8% of his or her daily calories. This very low calorie cost would not be so remarkable if it were not for the fact that shrimp provides us with significant amounts of so many nutrients. We usually have to eat foods with a far greater calorie content to get the nutrient richness provided by shrimp. For example, those same 20 shrimp that provide us with about 140 calories also provide us with 25 grams of protein or 50% of the Daily Value (DV).They also provide nearly 2 micrograms of vitamin B12—over 80% of the Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) level for adults. When this nutrient richness list for shrimp is continued across the list of other vitamins and minerals provided by this fish, it becomes striking how much nourishment can be provided by shrimp for less than 10% of a total day's calories.
>>
File: proteins.png (92KB, 800x1600px) Image search: [Google]
proteins.png
92KB, 800x1600px
>>35161255
Shrimps are hands down the best protein source. There's nothing comparable in nature.
>>
>>35161308
Agree. Shrimp is ideal for keto/low carb diets.
>>
>>35161308
Does activating the almonds affect their protein content?
>>
>>35161281
where do you live?
>>
>>35161255
Ok shrimps are god-tier protein food. How about a good recipe to cook them.
>>
>>35161422
Pan fried in garlic butter. Takes like 10secs each side. Or substitute in place of chicken.
>>
>>35161255
funny how you conveniently left out cholesterol....which is high as fuck in shrimp
>>
>>35161255
Where's the murcury content?
>>
>>35161255
I'm not made out of money
>>
File: tip.gif (1MB, 230x172px) Image search: [Google]
tip.gif
1MB, 230x172px
>>35161485
Vegan faggot detected.

>>35161486
>Where's the murcury content?

*tips fedora*
>>
>>35161281
This
>>
>>35161422

1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp paprika
8 oz shrimp
Salt and pepper to taste

Add butter and oil to the pan on medium heat. Add garlic and paprika with a tiny pinch of salt. Add shrimp. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Saute shrimp 3 minutes on one side, flip and add lemon juice. Saute 2 minutes on opposite side. Optional: deglaze pan with a tbsp of white-wine.

Serve on top of white rice or broccoli.
>>
>>35161517
vegans get all the pussy nowadays breh
>>
>>35161963
>becoming a vegan for the sake of getting pussy

not gonna make it
>>
>>35161308
>>35161422
>shrimps
>>
>>35161977
desu, if I a guy at the gym told me he was vegan, I would be at least 5% more inclined to fuck him.
>>
eating the shrimp like pimp c
>>
File: Ika.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ika.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>35161255
Ika Musume posts here?
>>
>>35161485
This. Cholesterol is bad for you.
>>
>>35162076
Not this kind fgt
>>
>>35161255
>>35161503
ya it's kinda expensive where i live (bay area) like $9/lbs which is what pretty decent steak goes for.

also a lot more work to prep cuz u don't buy pre-shelled unless you're an amateur.
>>
>>35162157
Shrimps are a source of dietary cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol is bad.
>>
They look kinda creepy.
>>
>>35161255
It's too fucking expensive. I love all seafood, but pretty much everything but shitty white fish is out of my post range for anything but a special occasion.
>>
>>35161986

Everyone hates vegans.

>true story
>>
>>35161422
Put them in hot soup and serve
>>
I don't like shrimps.
Seeing that they contain a pretty good amount of good things, including brotiens.

I'll have to serve myself up a plate of these things sometime.
>>
>>35161422
http://www.thecookingjar.com/honey-garlic-shrimp-skillet/

I tried this recently
>>
i can eat most animals but crustaceans are literally the bugs of the ocean, fuck that.

yellowfin tuna, now that's where it's at.
>>
>>35161255
Alright, shrimp are great - but how about lobster?
>>
>>35161255
welp, time to try shrimp soup when my chicken runs out.
>>
>>35165596

infinite this. cockroaches also have alot of protein but i dont eat those op you pleb
>>
>>35161255
Cost mostly. Same reason I don't eat more cricket, grasshopper, and grubs.

>>35161517
Mercury is a real concern.
>>
>>35161255
prawns m8... they're called PRAWNS
>>
because your shrimp comes from antibiotic poisoned dogshit infested overused farms with toxic chinese river water

alternatively you can get some BP oil spill and cleanup chemicals shrimpts, I'm sure also very healthy

>implying there is clean water left on earth
>>
because im allergic to shellfish and i prefer not being dead
>>
>>35163938
>paying for shells because buying buy weight
>>
>>35161255
I honestly think imitation crab is the best type of sea food
>>
>>35161333
All scientific records have activated almonds.
>>
>>35166922

Do you want to make gains or not?
>>
>>35161255
>eating the bugs of the ocean
>>
>>35165596
>>35166879
>>35166896
>>35167082

on the same page d e s u s e n p a i
>>
>>35167061
can't make gains if you're 6 feet under
>>
>>35167110
ikr
fucking manlets
>>
>>35167113
>thinks its a short joke
>>
>>35167134
Lad, I...
>>
File: katt22.jpg (157KB, 552x552px) Image search: [Google]
katt22.jpg
157KB, 552x552px
>>35161255
>serving per 100 grams
>>
>>35161255
I won't eat a mercury-/cholesterol-ridden sentient animal being; I'm also taking higher dosages of the god-tier anti-oxidant astaxanthin (the carotenoid found in small quantities in shrimps, salmons and the like) directly from algae.
>>
Serving per 100 grams:
Fat: 0.3 grams
Carbs: 0.2 grams
Protein: 24 grams

What's in the other grams
I'm no food scientist or whatever
>>
>>35167172
Fat.
>>
>>35167176
Doesn't it say .3 of fat
>>
>>35167172

Water mostly.
>>
>>35161255
Mercury 180%
>>
>>35167181
All the omegas are fat. Only one kind of the omega is reported in OP.
Also,
>http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4175/2
Only the saturated fat are actually in that percentage.
Iron is at 12%, Calcium at 14%. It may vary wildly from species to species. Vitamin B6 is way lower (1%) and the same goes for vitamin B12 (12%). Fats are the 12% of the calories, cholesterol something between 82% to 112% (depending on species). All shrimps are usually high in mercury.
>>
>>35161255
mercury, cost and taste. you're going to get really fucking sick of eating it on a regular basis.
>>
Why should I give a fuck about mercury

Does there exist a perfect food?
>>
>>35161255

theyre toxic and you shouldnt eat that at all
>>
>>35167279
vegan pls go
>>
>>35167171
>sentient animal being

Plants, protists, and even many bacteria and fungi are sentient. The word means practically nothing, vegan fag. But keep taking that meme supplement.
>>
>>35161281
/thread
It's GOAT if you can afford it though
>>
>>35167171
Yeah, because algae aren't sentient beings, you flaming fucking faggot
>>
>>35161308
>curd cheese
>that high
quark masterrace proves it yet again
>>
Shrimp have roughly the same mercury as plants.

around .02 ug/g
>>
>willingly eating MERCURY
no thanks f a m
>>
>>35168760
>>35168947
My empathy is limited to sentient animal being, I could care less of beans & plants.
If I'll ever come to life again as a mushroom, I'll care (actually probably won't, given that I won't be "sentient" as an animal).
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.