[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://youtu.be/fewHtJNx1PU >stretching is bad for you Wtf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: FB_IMG_1443898057914.jpg (24KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1443898057914.jpg
24KB, 550x309px
https://youtu.be/fewHtJNx1PU
>stretching is bad for you
Wtf do normies watch shit like this and actually believe it?
>>
>>35001712
why do all feminists look like they suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome
>>
>>35001727
They all come from alcoholic single mother households
>>
>>35001727
Because their mothers turned to the bottle to deal with actual sexism 40 years ago
>>
>>35001712
Op, you fucking retard. He sayd the stretching is bad for you if you do it before a workout. He sayd nothing about after. Even Rippetoe sayd the same thing. Idiot.
>>
File: 1448217586422.jpg (10KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
1448217586422.jpg
10KB, 495x495px
>>35001778
>He sayd the stretching is bad for you if you do it before a workout.

see this is something i can say is bullshit without needing a study

my shoulders would be RIP if i didnt stretch before and during a workout
>>
>>stretching is bad for you
>Wtf do normies watch shit like this and actually believe it?
but he's right

the best thing before working out is light weight warm up sets, something that gets the muscles into the right state to perform heavier reps

>biking/running before a workout
this is wrong though. that'll just make you tired for your actual workout
>>
>>35001819
please be trolling

static pre-stretching fucks with your preformance, yet dynamic pre-stretching improves it.
>>
>myths that aren't true
>myths that aren't true
>myths that aren't true
>myths that aren't true
>myths that aren't true
>>
>>35001819
congrats on having shit form and not knowing how to warm up properly
this >>35001930
>>
There's a difference between intense static stretching before exercise and a short dynamic warm up. The order should be

5 minute dynamic warm up -> lift -> static stretch a few hours after (esp. if you're not very mobile to begin with)
also
>>35002876
>>35002876
>>35002876
>>
>>35003139
/thread
>>
>>35002876
is bigfoot a myth or a myth that isn't true
>>
>>35001778
>>35001819

Stretching is very healthy and you should be doing it every single day.

Kelly Starrett has entire videos about stretches you can do before and after lifting weights.

There are certain dynamic and static stretches that benefit you more when performed before or after lifting though.

As far as stretching being detrimental, this has never actually been proven. There is only research showing that it MAY decrease performance and MAY put the muscle at an increased risk of injury due to micro trauma. Again, never proven to actually be true.

There has never been a weight lifting or athletic injury that has been attributed due to static stretching before a workout.

Do you think any of those fat ass fucking power lifters that hurt themselves were doing any stretches before their competitions? Of course not

Meanwhile, Klokov and the Chinese do almost an hour of static and dynamic stretching before they even start their regular training sessions
>>
>>35003241
>Stretching is very healthy and you should be doing it every single day.
how the fuck is stretching "healthy"? you should only do it if you have a specific need for flexibility. however, 99% of people can do the main movements just fine without stretching. the little increases in recovery and shit that stretching gives are way better achieved with massage techniques like foam rolling and just active recovery like fucking jogging
>There is only research showing that it MAY decrease performance and MAY put the muscle at an increased risk of injury due to micro trauma. Again, never proven to actually be true.
bullshit
>There has never been a weight lifting or athletic injury that has been attributed due to static stretching before a workout.
have you seen every injury in the world?
>Do you think any of those fat ass fucking power lifters that hurt themselves were doing any stretches before their competitions
probably not, but there better ways to prevent injury than fucking stretching
>Klokov and the Chinese do almost an hour of static and dynamic stretching before they even start their regular training sessions
because olympic lifting requires flexibility through stretching, unlike regular lifting

please come to the 21st century. stretching is bullshit from the 50s.
>>
>>35003309

>I know better than a doctor of physical therapy

Back to reddit kiddo
>>
>>35003326
nice authority fallacy. it also applies to you anyway. not every doctor advocates stretching
>>
>>35003334

>Refutes everything by just saying it's bullshit
>Points out an actual expert says he's wrong
>Calls it an appeal to authority

How long have you been retarded, anon?
>>
File: 1443384199061.jpg (16KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1443384199061.jpg
16KB, 250x238px
>>35003309
>>
>>35001819
>dont need a study to know im right

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. You probably also thought holding your breath during a lift was dangerous as fuck.
>>
>>35003356
i refuted one point of yours by calling it bullshit cause i dont care enough to find the studies for you. your argument also based on just your own words.

i dont see an actual expert pointed out anywhere. klokov and the chinese have reasons to stretch that do not apply to regular lifters
>>
>myths that aren't true

Additionally, static stretches ARE bad pre-workout, but not bad post-workout. Do dynamic stretches instead or you're going to pull a muscle
>>
>>35003410

My argument is based off of an actual doctor of physical therapy's words, who specializes in prehab and rehab of sports and weight lifting injuries.

You're just basing your argument on shit you've heard on random internet forums posted by teenagers, which is probably what you are too.

Feel free to keep posting, I love watching you get intellectually sodomized and then backpedaling on it.
>>
>>35001712
static stretching before a workout is indeed bad
>>
You guys ITT are fucking retarded along with the yt video

Dynamic stretches before workout and static stretches after workout, its just that simple. How does people not know about this?
>>
>>35003456
>you guys are retarded
>states what the video and every else is saying
>>
>>35003439
>My argument is based off of an actual doctor of physical therapy's words
again, that doesnt mean shit. what makes you think my argument isnt based on a doctors opinion?

feel free to keep posting. im not insecure enough to have to boast about how im winning this argument or to call you retarded. anyway, im going to bed now. if the thread is still up in the morning ill answer you again.
>>
>>35003508
The video doesnt say anything about static/dynamic stretching, just that stretching is bad preworkout
>>
>>35003410

>lifters have reasons to stretch that don't apply to lifters

retard

no the guy you are arguing with, but I went to google, searching "is stretching bad for you" and literally hundreds of articles in a row show doctors and trainers and physical therapists and not anonymous faggots on 4chan saying stretching is good for you.

I was going to link every single one. but you're a big boy. You can see the waves of information telling you that you are wrong yourself.
>>
>>35001819
Swinging your hands in air like a retard does not count as stretching.

Take a tower, place your hands above your head and do 5 sets of shoulder dislocates prior to your lifting sets. I guarantee you will under perform in your lifts.

Long term stretching will increase your range of motion and allow you to tackle some exercises more safely and with less warm up.
Static (actual, not just fucking swinging your hips and arms, and holding a stretch for 5 seconds (lmao)) will decrease your short term performance.

All of this is fact. Do not argue with me.

When Klokov does it, it's because he is Klokov and you are not.
>>
>>35003530
The video was made for regular people. Stretching in their minds mostly imply static stretching.
>>
>>35003543
gonna answer this quick
>regular lifters should do the same things as lifters who lift twice the weight and do way more complicated, flexibility requiring movements

i never said stretching is bad. just that it's not as useful as you make it to be.
>>
>>35003543
you have absolutely no idea whats being said here. Brush up on your reading skills.
>>
>>35003579
He could have explained it easily in the same amount of time as he did explaining a half-truth

How can you even defend a person that speaks to the public about advice yet fails to give proper advice?
>>
>>35001712
>Thinking that it's a good idea to work out and starving yourself
Who the fuck actually thinks this way?
>>
File: shoulder-dislocation-stretch.jpg (99KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder-dislocation-stretch.jpg
99KB, 640x360px
i do these (pic related) and also wall slides before my workouts, as well as some rotator cuff shit with dumbbells

are you numbskulls trying to say there is no point?
>>
>>35003641
Yeah, in that case. We should also explain the science behind the whole thing going right down to how the myosin and actin work during contraction and how it can be detrimental before actual lifts. Jesus man, if people want to know more they would just do the research themself. The video just points in the right direction and have people's interest.
>>
>>35003672
Regular people who think working out for a month gets you huge.
>>
>>35003677
That's pretty much body weight. No harm, just getting some blood flowing. A good way to warm up.
>>
>>35003703
Fucking christ that is so sad
>>
>>35001778
>what is dynamic stretching
>>
>>35003724
meh, its pretty normal for people to think something is true when they have no experience/knowledge in the matter. You probably do it too, everyone does.
>>
>>35003738
Well, probably. But I have been working out for about a year~ but even before that I feel like I had a much better comprehension of what to do and not to do.
>>
>>35001743
underrated
>>
>>35003689
This is why people are getting dumber, I hope you realize that. They watch youtubers thinking they know their shit when actually they dont.

Why the hell would a person even question if there is more to stretching when he already has said plainly that stretching preworkout is bad? He doesnt even inform about dynamic/static stretching, in your own words the regular people mostly imply static stretching.
>>
>>35003309
>how the fuck is stretching "healthy"? you should only do it if you have a specific need for flexibility. however, 99% of people can do the main movements just fine without stretching.
Almost everyone I see squatting cannot reach parallel. Rippetoe even draws attention to the fact that a majority of the western population has tight hamstrings and hips from sitting at a desk too much. I don't know how you could make a more wrong statement about the need for stretching.
>>
I can't even do squats with proper form if I don't stretch ankles/hipflexors.
>>
>>35001778
I couldn't imagine not stretching before playing hockey. My groin would be fucked.
>>
>>35003793
Because people who don't believe in it will actually research it you dumb fuck.
Something that goes against what they think and is deemed as true will usually get people butthurt and try to prove them wrong. If they just take the words from the video and thats it, well oh well. Its normal
Happens here on /fit/ with the whole SS is a meme shit. People aren't smart enough to actually read the book. Except in this case people are taking something that isn't true and truth.
Whole thing is confusing, people just need to do research on their own before trying to be experts.
>>
>>35003704
>that's bodyweight
It's not about the weight it's stretching the muscles for better mobility. Nothing to do with putting weight on the muscle to break muscle fibers.
>>
>>35003846
You fucking piece of shit, why the fuck would a person not believe in it if he/she only knows about static stretching? Do you even logic?
>>
>>35003890
Grade school teaches you to stretch before doing some physical activity. Most people will place working out under physical activity. Most people won't even actually do barbell lifts, just machine shit and curls.
Most people won't believe that you should hold your breath during a lift.
I mean, even people on /fit/ think SS is a meme.
Wouldn't contradictions make you want to look shit up yourself you dipshit?
>>
>>35003957
Stop trying to damage control dickface, you know you fucked up when you said
>regular people. Stretching in their minds mostly imply static stretching.
>regular people
>mostly imply static stretching
Get the fuck out of here
>>
>>35004011
>video says stretching is bad before workout
>people will think static stretching
>you are wrong for thinking people will take it as static stretching before workout
>doesn't even talk about what people consider workout

blah blah blah. I really don't know what you are saying since you are saying what im saying. But im taking it further by saying people might think many other things and may want to research themselves for contradictions that happen in their mind.
Either way, you don't teach someone truth by explaining the entirety of the claim. You probably believe E=mc^2 is all there is to it. There is much more to that equation but it still points you in the right direction.
>>
There are no scientific proof that stretching has any benefits. I have not stretched before lifting in the last 5 years and never hurt anything. I laugh to myself when I watch all these tools in my gym stretch for literally an hour before they do anything. Waste of time.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.