[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a registered dietitian nutritionist anything related to nutrition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 268
Thread images: 24

File: ldl-vs-hdl-cholesterol.jpg (66KB, 496x277px) Image search: [Google]
ldl-vs-hdl-cholesterol.jpg
66KB, 496x277px
Ask a registered dietitian nutritionist anything related to nutrition and the interaction between nutrition and health & wellness.

I'm not a permanent tripfag. Just doing it for the thread.
>>
>>32146983
are you /fit/?
>>
>>32146983
Met any fat acceptance cunts lately?
>>
>>32146995
I'm ottermode by /fit/ standards. I was bulkier in college when I played rugby but I've since slimmed down when I started participating in 10k and 20k runs on a regular basis.

>>32147013
I usually just laugh them off, unless they're a patient, in which case I seriously try my best to educate them and make them realize that being fat isn't healthy.
>>
why should i eat fruit if i take all the vitamins somewhere else?
>>
>>32146983
How do I sleep better?
>>
Do sugar alcohols metabolize in a manner similar to carbohydrates or to alcohols?
If alcohols, should I then count them as 8kcal/gram as I do other alcohols?

Had to pick bread for captcha
> triggered
>>
>>32146983
are you a proponent of the idea that moderate beer consumption can be added into a lifters diet, assuming macros and all that jazz?
>>
What are your thoughts on whey protein powder?
>>
>>32146983
What can I take for my bad knees?

I can't even do squats anymore ;_;
>>
>>32146983
On the topic of your picture, should such a thing happen to a person, what would you suggest they do to
>prevent it
>fix it
>shape their life when they have it
>>
>>32147079
This. What about hard liquor in particular?
>>
>>32147095
>this this
>>
I constantly have diarrhea, and I eat mostly chicken and rice with some fast food sprinkled in.

If I go on a juice cleanse for a week or so, will it make things worse in your opinion?
>>
>>32146983
Give us the perfect diet for someone on a light caloric surplus if they're aiming for 2500 calories a day.
>>
>>32146983
Looking for help on calculating my tdee.
Weight: 190
Height: 6' 3"

I lift three times a week doing SL 5x5
I run three times a week with a scaling distance; 10 miles on mon, 5-7 of wed, and 3-5 on fri.
I also swim for funsies once a week.

Using that as a baseline, regardless of work and hiking, how much should I be eating?

tl;dr: recommend to me a good calorie calculator and then ways to measure its accuracy.

Thanks a ton for any help.
>>
Are GMOs bad?
Is Gluten bad?
>>
>>32147095
Learn to squat in a proper form. Fixed mine once I changed my form. I had pain everytime I walked before that
>>
File: retardalert.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
retardalert.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>32147189
>>
>>32146983
Do artificial estrogens that come from bottles affect your gains? Should I be drinking out of stone cups and metal bottles?
>>
How do I improve my appetite? In particular, can I make my stomach less sensitive, particularly in the morning and after caffeine?
>>
>>32147038
There isn't enough research to credit the benefits of taking a dietary supplement over obtaining proper nutrition from food. There is no substitute for a healthy diet. Most people often indulge in fruit more than they should, however, so I usually get a question along the lines of the opposite of that.

>"I eat all kinds of fruit every day! Why am I still fat?!"

>>32147070
The biggest thing is to stay hydrated. The second biggest thing is to deal with the stressors occurring in your everyday life.

It also doesn't hurt to engage in cardio at some point in the day. This will make you physically tired and you'll fall asleep easier at night.

>>32147076
Compared to regular blood glucose, sugar alcohol won't raise your glucose levels the same way carbohydrates will. This is because it doesn't completely absorb into your system like normal alcohol will, resulting in it taking more of a toll on your gastrointestinal system, and can lead to things like diarrhea. The calorie range can be anywhere from zero to three or four calories per gram, depending on what form you're ingesting. Xylitol is usually what most manufacturers go for, and you can look up the nutritional facts of it online.

>>32147085
It's great, especially if you're working out. It's a great way to consume larger amounts of protein in your diet for the purpose of building muscle.The problem is, most people waste it since it is water-soluble, you quite literally piss away everything your body doesn't use. The average rate at which you absorb the protein directly is about 8-10 grams per hour. That means your body only uses around 12-15 grams of each shake, even if you're using far more per scoop.

>>32147095
You need to do stretching and try not to over-exert yourself when lifting. Look up some strength-training yoga. See a physical therapist or clinical exercise physiologist if you don't see any results.

Sorry for the long wait, a friend showed up at my place.
>>
>>32147228
Not Op, but do you mean you shit after drinking coffee?
>>
>>32147189
>Are GMOs bad?
For your health no, for long term environmental effects and cross pollination with other species we aren't exactly sure.
>Is Gluten bad?
If you have a gluten intolerance like <1% of the population.
>>
File: 1393618616507.png (851KB, 3576x1652px) Image search: [Google]
1393618616507.png
851KB, 3576x1652px
>>32146983
OP pls respond
>>
>>32147259
no, my stomach feels painful and sensitive, particularly after black coffee or when I've only eaten carbs (which sucks because I love black coffee)
>>
>>32146983
wat do for cholesterol if I'm roiding?
>>
How long did it take to be a nutritionist? How much do you make a year?
>>
>>32147099
Cholesterol imbalance is an extremely common problem these days.Regularly doing cardiovascular exercise can help lower your LDL and raise your HDL. If you maintain good cardiovascular health and a healthy body fat percentage, you'll also be maintaining a healthy blood pressure and lower your risk of sudden plaque ruptures, clots, cardiovascular disease, and even stroke.

>>32147138
"Cleanses" and "detoxes" are complete nonsense. Your body is perfectly capable of "cleansing" itself of toxins. You just have to have a healthy, balanced diet. You'll start to notice changes within the first few days.

>>32147148
Look for 40% carbohydrates, 30% fats, and 30% proteins. Do you want specific recipes?

>>32147172
Your BMR is around the 1900 kCal range and your TDEE is around 2700.

>>32147226
No.

>>32147228
You have to slowly work yourself into eating more. It's like training.
>>
>>32147306
Cardio, lots of green leafy vegetables, lower saturated fat intake.

>>32147359
4 years to get a bachelor's degree, then 1 year of an internship.

Annual salary is $52k a year. Not much, but it's enough to live comfortably.
>>
>>32146983
Why did you get a fake degree in a fake "science"?
>>
>>32147427
Nutritionists are legit, it's dietitians that you've got to watch out for - no regulations on calling yourself a dietitian. Or maybe it's the other way around.
>>
>>32146983
is bittorrent a botnet now?
>>
>>32147468
Nope, turns out it's the other way around, although considering OP identified himself as a dietitian nutritionist it's a moot point
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritionist
>all dietitians are nutritionists, but not all nutritionists are dietitians
>>
>>32147258
Your body can absorb much more protein than that in that period of time. Outdated info.

>>32147405
Still no strong link between cholesterol and cardiovascular disease.

>>32147415
Saturated fat is overhyped as the 'bad fat' , bbut, just like cholesterol, the evidence is weak
>>
>>32147541
Anybody else remember the guy that ate a stick of butter a day then coincidentally died of a a massive heart at like 35?
>>
>>32147567
*a massive heart attack, fuck me.
>>
>>32147468
>>32147507
Nutrition science is a scam.
>>
>>32147567
What if it was because he was likely a fat fuck and not because of the butter?
>>
>>32147541
>Your body can absorb much more protein than that in that period of time. Outdated info.
it's surprising that OP is apparently taught this. it also shows that having a degree does not mean you're immune to old broscience. or he could be lying about his degree, of course.
>>
>>32146983
What's the final word on egg yolks?
Are they actually bad or is it a myth?

Please explain to me why I should NOT be worried about cholesterol in eggs (in case you say they are fine)
>>
File: 1391830272316.jpg (41KB, 455x608px) Image search: [Google]
1391830272316.jpg
41KB, 455x608px
Thanks OP

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>32147597
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Roberts
He wasn't fat at all. Surprise, heart disease, though he was 61.

>In September 2001, Dr. Ranjit Chandra, a prominent nutrition researcher, published a study about the effects of vitamin supplementation on the cognitive functions of the elderly.[28] Roberts and Saul Sternberg, a psychology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, discovered inconsistencies in the data presented, specifically in the data distribution and standard deviation.[29] Roberts is quoted as stating "the results were not just implausible, they were impossible." [30] The story received recognition in both the British Medical Journal and the New York Times.[30][31] The CBC ran a three-part documentary about the controversy called The Secret Life of Dr. Chandra.[32] In 2005, Nutrition issued a retraction of Chandra's original paper.[33]
>>
>>32147600
He probably thinks IF will slow your metabolic rate too.
>laughinggirls.jjpeg
>>
File: why.jpg (92KB, 671x900px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
92KB, 671x900px
why are there almost no vitamins in my frozen veggies

I've read peer-reviewed articles saying that flash frozen veggies retain their nutrients more than fresh ones but there are no vitamins to begin with
>>
is it healthy to eat/drink shit shake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH_HDbKyyGQ
>>
>>32146983
I'm currently 8.5% BF at 5' 10" but only BMI of 22 (skinnier). I'm eating TDEE+400 in the hope of gaining ~10 lb of muscle. Is there merit to this slight overnutrient approach? How should I tailor it?
>>
>>32147541
>no strong link between cholesterol and cardiovascular disease

are you talking dietary or serum
>>
>>32146983
How do I eat for legit health. Not bulkan

How would those two diets differ?
>>
>>32146983
Are you an overweight woman in your 40s?
>>
File: enjoy your gyno.png (260KB, 853x804px) Image search: [Google]
enjoy your gyno.png
260KB, 853x804px
>>32147263
>>Are GMOs bad?
>For your health no

Yeah, alright.
enveurope.com
/content/pdf/s12302
-014-0014
-5.pdf

spam
>>
>>32147405
thanks RDN
>>
how you feel about me eatin only two scoops of whey for breakfast every morning, then a relatively huge lunch and dinner?
>>
>>32147791
Fairly obvious you don't know what a GMO is. I'll give you a hint, some kind of mushrooms are poisonous, other's aren't.
>>
>>32147415
What do you do at work?
Like what what job can you get with that degree?
>>
about alcohol, for example, 0.5l of beer have 500 calories or something like that...are those calories used for energy as regular calories from food?
>>
>>32146983
I'm 20, female, and have an average bmi, all be it at the top end of the scale. I weigh 67kg and I'm about 5'5". I eat probably just under the amount of calories required for someone of my size. What I don't get is that I have this stomach chub that just won't budge. Seriously if I've eaten a big meal and I let it all hang out I can look 4 or 5 months pregnant. I also have a sister who's 5 years younger than me and eats almost double what I eat daily, yet has barely any gut at all. I don't get it. I ate pretty much the same as her at her age, was just as active but always had a gut on me. Why do I not look like her? I rarely ever eat fast food, rarely ever drink soda, eat fairly balanced meals. What gives?
>>
>>32147833
The GMO isn't directly the problem here. It's the Roundup. The GMO allows more Roundup to be on the plant because the GMO makes it invulnerable to Roundup. In fact, it allows all of it as opposed to none.

That study shows male rats with 4x more estrogen than the control group, among other things that should probably bother someone more.
>>
Is insulin levels to blame for making arteries brittle and crack, then causing cholesterol to clog the cracks? Therefore, making cholesterol and saturated fat healthy and making sugar, simple carbs unhealthy.
>>
>>32146983
I'm taking rainbow light men's daily vitamin but a few hours after when I go to urinate, my urine is a bright yellow with a green hue. Their forum page said it's green because of excess vitamin B is being excreted. Does urine really turn green because of excess vitamin B or am I just pissing away the majority of the vitamin and minerals even though I take the single daily in two separate eating sessions by splitting it in two to allow my body to absorb more. Is this an effective method for more absorption?
>>
>>32146983

Is drinking 7+ beers a day okay? I know there are lots of GMOS but its so good...
>>
>>32146983
can you burn fat and build muscle at the same time
>>
>>32147864
You are prone to food allergies created from GMOs that weren't in food previously.
So you'll have to do the allergy reduction thing.
>>
>>32147945
are you OP?
>>
>>32147983
I could be anyone in the world. I could be a Haitian with their "new" 2001 Lenovo they got by saving from picking corn for 3 years.
But really I'm just text in a box.
There is no guarantee of much of anything of this text in a box.
When something boils down to having that little substance, one could argue such an item would be for use of entertainment purposes and practically not much else.
Maybe a precursor to do your own research. But really only if something pops up that you've never heard of before that you can investigate on your own.
Are you entertained? You must be. What else are you possibly getting from reading these texts in these boxes?
>>
File: barleans.jpg (234KB, 806x1500px) Image search: [Google]
barleans.jpg
234KB, 806x1500px
What is your opinion on powdered "greens" vegetable supplements like the one in my pic?

How do they compare to eating actual vegetables?
>>
>>32147685
eat liver instead
>>
What would you say to someone who wants to improve their skin health
>>
>>32147685
Does not compute. Flash freezing veggies retains the vitamins, yes.

>>32147725
You mean bulking? 10 lbs of muscle is dependent on your training schedule, where you are in your training career, etc.

>>32147736
Both

>>32147752
Not mutually exclusive

>>32147791
Strong confirmation bias.

>>32147838
http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh294/245-255.htm

>>32147864
How many calories are you eating daily? I'd suggest less fruit, more veggies.

>>32147890
No. Look at your hip to waist ratio if you want an accurate representation of your risk for cardiovascular disease. HDL/total cholesterol is important, but dietary cholesterol is not. They inhibited the enzyme that cycles HDL to LDL and found a higher mortality rate. Vitamin K2, found in milks and cheeses, can prevent calcification of the tunica media of the blood vessel as well as the plaque on the inside

>>32147906
Yellow, yes, green, no
>>
>>32148379
I'd say around 1500 calories
>>
>>32146983
Is there any testosterone in semen?
Asking for a friend
>>
I cant fucking poop
And if I do, its just a little.

I dont know what to do.
I eat shit tons of broccoli and chicken
>>
>>32147864
>probably

>>32148406
>I'd say

You're overestimating unless you know for sure by counting.
>>
>>32148435
Lol your intestine ballooned.
You are pregnant with a shit baby.
>>
>>32146983
I eat quite a high amount of sat fats daily. Macadamia nuts, avocado, coconut oil, hard boiled eggs, I am 51... am I asking for a coronary event?
>>
>>32148447
I very much doubt it. I have hypersomnia which means I sleep around 13 hours a night and usually miss breakfast and lunch time, have a banana/bowl of oats, snack on a piece or two of salami maybe, then eat dinner; I only really have one meal a day. I don't know if the sleep might have something to do with it?
>>
>>32146983
Hello, I'm overweight and about 4 months ago I got my cholesterol checked, the doctor told me my LDL was high, I was also Vitamin D deficient. Sometimes I fear I will have a heartattack, but then I look at other people who are wll into the 300s and they somehow are still alive.

What are the chances of me getting a heart attack at my age? I'm 22 and 260 pounds. I am working to walk the weight off and eat better food, with low sodium. I do admit I ate many foods with alot of salt, and I'm lowering it down.

Also, what could I do to lower LDL?
Also,
>>
>>32148379

>http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh294/245-255.htm

Beyond interesting read. Thank god for having a science background
>>
>>32148582
get a scale, my fitness pal, and weigh out all of your food. This will give you an accurate representation of how many calories you're eating.

>>32148596
You could try omega 3 supplements, working out, losing weight, etc. Low chances at 22 but if you continue your heart will look like it's 50 when you're 30
>>
I don't eat vegetables.
I do eat about half a pound of fruit a day on average.
I also regularly eat beans.
Rest of my diet consists of dairy, meat, canned fish and nuts.

What do I miss out on?
>>
>>32146983
For a personal trainer, what is the best/most encompassing literature I can read to help clients of different weight classes (underweight, overweight, etc.) and of all agers?
>>
>>32148853
I'd suggest looking for psychological factors holding them back more than anything. People are comfortable at certain weights due to set points and have a hard time budging. Underweight individuals have to find caloric dense foods whilst fat people have to find food that is not so dense. People who are older have an array of different needs than that of a typical young peraon
>>
>>32148948
On that note, it's hard to generalize and you need to look at a lot of factors in their life, such as stress, time management, self control, motivation
>>
>>32148948
I understand that aspect and an intermediate understanding of dietary principals, I'm simply looking for a resource to further improve my knowledge (intermediate-->advanced, or basic-->intermediate depending on your perspective). Specfically about the physiological nature of diet, as opposed to the psychological dillemas.
>>
>>32149001
If you wanted to go as far as a dietician then I would suggest looking at RDA values for all vitamins, minerals, carb, fat, pro, which can play a role in how they feel. use those values and plan out a well rounded diet. If that doesn't help, ask a more specific question in regards to the physiology
>>
does soy really give you gyno
>>
>>32146983
What is a good diet for a person who attends boxing 3x a week for 2 hours and lifts heavy 2x a week

I'm 21 6FT and 240lbs
>>
>>32149001
As for resources that are far more knowledgeable than I, look up Alan aragon, Lyle mcdonald, just to get you syarted
>>
>>32149109
High carbb, moderate fat, moderate protein. 40, 20, 20 is nice
>>
>>32149166
Derp, 40 40 20
>>
>>32149109
I forgot to add I'm trying to cut to 220
>>
>>32148837
pls respond
>>
>>32149256
B vitamins, minerals, etc
>>
>>32149293
Doesn't meat have B vitamins?
What kind of minerals?
What etc?
>>
>>32149321
Pantothenic acid, copper, manganese, Vitamin B6, vitamin B1, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, calcium, iron, niacin, choline and selenium.
>>
>>32149432
>omega-3 fatty acids
I take those as supplement and I also eat mackarel often.

>calcium
My diet consists of a lot of dairy. I go through a lot of milk, yoghurt and quark.
Don't think calcium is gonna be an issue.

For the others, I don't knwo much about those. From what foods do you typically get those vitamins and minerals?
>>
>>32149464
Meat has plenty of b vitamins, those are not what I'd be concerned about, mostly just a lack of minerals imo. You can eat broccoli and spinach which both contain those in large amounts
>>
what is your opinion on the ketogenic diet?
>>
>>32149491
Thanks for your response.

I said earlier that I don't eat vegetables, so might there be alternatives besides broccoli, spinach or similar vegetables?
>>
>>32147864
Are you on the pill? Those things sometimes cause unwanted weight to hang around.
>>
>>32147864
>all be it
it's albeit, sweetheart
>>
>>32147258

>Most people often indulge in fruit more than they should, however

What do you mean by that? There's no such thing as "too much fruit"
>>
>>32147541

>Still no strong link between cholesterol and cardiovascular disease.
>Saturated fat is overhyped as the 'bad fat' , bbut, just like cholesterol, the evidence is weak

You're what's technically known as a science denier, or "denialist"

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Denialism
>>
File: death by butter.png (318KB, 1220x1488px) Image search: [Google]
death by butter.png
318KB, 1220x1488px
>>32147597

He was pretty thin. The new "saturated fat is healthy" fad is dangerous.
>>
>>32149769
Ofcourse there is, that's the definition of the phrase 'too much'.
Even too much water can kill you.

>>32149794
I'm not >>32147541 but I agree with him.
You're just posting a shitty ad-hominem, disguised as an argument.
Provide a real source instead of this dumb wiki link.
>>
>>32149811
>The new "saturated fat is healthy" fad is dangerous.
It's not a fad if it's how humans have been eating for thousands of years.
Basic foods like meat, eggs and nuts contain saturated fat. Nothing wrong with that.
Ofcourse nobody should go around eating kg's of red meat, or 30 eggs a day, but in moderation it's most likely fine.
>>
>>32149794
Dietary cholesterol is not linked to blood cholesterol levels.

Saturated fat in moderation has not been proven be bad for you. In fact, it's the opposite as there have been studies that have linked saturated fat consumption with testosterone levels. If you are interested in muscle mass, it's vital you get sat. fat in your diet. That's also ignoring sat. fat's role in mental health and overall feelings of well being.
>>
>>32149820

>I'm not >>32147541 but I agree with him.
>Provide a real source

Should I just start listing the diet advice of every health organization in the world to show you how much of a consensus view it is that elevated cholesterol leads to heart disease, and that saturated fat, which raises cholesterol, should be low in your diet?

>>32149853

>It's not a fad if it's how humans have been eating for thousands of years.

That would be an appeal to nature fallacy but it isn't even true to begin with
>>
>>32147679
>doing IF
this is much more ridiculous.
>hey anon, wanna join for lunch?
>n-no thanks, I-I can't eat until 8 pm
>>
>>32149869

>Dietary cholesterol is not linked to blood cholesterol levels.

It most definitely is

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/55/6/1060.full.pdf

>Saturated fat in moderation has not been proven be bad for you

Moderation defined by who? You? Proven by who, how?

>it's the opposite as there have been studies that have linked saturated fat consumption with testosterone levels. If you are interested in muscle mass, it's vital you get sat. fat in your diet

Which is also bullshit, but it wouldn't make saturated fat "healthy" even if it were true. At best you would be shortening your life for a mild testosterone boost
>>
>>32149895
>coming from a society that is going "gluten free"

Just because it's popular doesn't make it right. Most of today's nutritional advice stems from research in the 70s that have since been debunked and that's a fact.

Basically every study is based on fatties eating hamburgers and then concluding "OMG SATURATED FAT IS GIVING PEOPLE HEART ATTACKS".

Show me a study utilizing fit adults who do cardio and maybe I'll change my mind.
>>
>>32149811
Any study that just lumps all saturated fats into a single group is unscientific and seriously lacking in any kind of validity as to what conclusions can be drawn from dietary issues
>>
>>32149933

What do you base any of that on? It's a worldwide accepted medical fact that saturated fats increase your risk of heart disease, regardless of if you're obese or sedentary or physically active or lean. You might as well be arguing that smoking doesn't increase your risk of lung cancer if you do cardio and aren't sedentary. It sounds nice in your head, but it's not based on anything
>>
>>32149895
>diet advice of every health organization in the world
Mostly outdated info on these topics.
Not too long ago goverments were pushing the "less fat in food is better", which resulted in less fat and more carbs (specifically sugar). You know what the impact of that was.
Before the negative effects of trans fat were known, trans fats were said to be actually healtier fats. They were put in a lot of stuff as they were cheap.
Health organizations screw up.

>That would be an appeal to nature fallacy but it isn't even true to begin with
It's not a fallacy if it's true. The reason a lot of people get problems due to their diets is processed shit, added sugar, transfat, high carb, low fat/protein food. Just look at your average grocery store. Like 80% is mostly carbs with a lot of sugar.
Do you really think basic foods are unhealthy?
>>
>>32149968
Except recent research doesn't show that smoking isn't unhealthy, while there are studies disproving that saturated fat is inherently unhealthy.
>>
>>32146983
what can i eat besides spinach,fish,broccoli to help collagen production for my loose skin (i already eat the shit listed, just I want supplements or other food i can devour to help w/ my loose skin)
>>
>>32149921
>http://blog.photocalorie.com/data-driven-dining/dietary-cholesterol/#MetaAnalysis

Source includes links to all applicable studies.

1. Dietary cholesterol has small effect on serum cholesterol compared to saturated fat

2. Feeding studies provide mixed evidence, however meta-analyses point to a lack of major effect

3. Those with very low baseline dietary cholesterol respond more than those with modest baseline cholesterol intake

4. Adding 300-400 mg cholesterol to a cholesterol free diet results in an increase in serum cholesterol, but subsequent addition of more cholesterol has little, if any, effects

--

I'll modify: dietary cholesterol is not linked to large changes in blood cholesterol

--

>http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.

>http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0113605

Despite a distinct increase in saturated fat intake from baseline to the low-carbohydrate diet (46 to 84 g/day), and then a gradual decrease in saturated fat to 32 g/day at the highest carbohydrate phase, there were no significant changes in the proportion of total SFA in any plasma lipid fractions.
>>
>>32149998

>all the world's experts are just behind the times
>I'm ahead of the curve and I'm totally educated and way smarter than everybody

Okay, bro.

>Not too long ago goverments were pushing the "less fat in food is better", which resulted in less fat and more carbs (specifically sugar). You know what the impact of that was.

That actually never happened. People were told to eat less fat AND less sugar, and people ate more fat and more sugar. We eat more fat now than we ever have. Now you'll need a new excuse to say all the experts are wrong. As for trans fats, we didn't know the health effects of trans fats immediately. It's not in any way comparible to saturated fat, which has been studied extensively for more than half a century. Nobody has any doubt about it at this point except for people who desperately want to believe their favorite fatty foods are good for them.

>The reason a lot of people get problems due to their diets is processed shit, added sugar, transfat, high carb, low fat/protein food.

While I know you're not actually basing this on any data, you're also implying for whatever reason that if other harmful things exist then saturated fat must not be harmful. That's just looking for other things to blame
>>
>>32150060

I'll agree that it doesn't cause as much of an increase as saturated fat, but the increase is there, and dietary cholesterol also increases the effect saturated fats have on your blood cholesterol.

>A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed

I'm very familiar with this one because everybody who's trying to find good things to say about saturated fat passes around this study without reading it or understanding it. It's funded by the National Dairy Council and co-athored by a guy who also takes money from the Cattlemans Beef Association and the Atkins Foundation. If you want to see why this meta-analysis is void, here's a video that breaks down the studies used to state that saturated fat isn't harmful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Tx9dCbv-g

I'm also familiar with the second study, funded by the Egg Nutrition Center, the Atkins Foundation, the Cattleman's Beef Association, The Beef Checkoff, and the Dairy Research Institute. The study authors, some of whom sit on the Science Advisory Board of the Atkins Foundation, experimented by feeding overweight diabetics (people with a broken glucose metabolism) varying degrees of saturated fat or questionable-quality carbohydrate. As the authors point out,

>isocaloric high-carbohydrate diets [4] and high-carbohydrate meals [5], [6] also promote DNL and hypertriglyceridemia in individuals with insulin resistance. The major product of DNL is palmitate (16:0), a saturated fatty acid (SFA)

In other words, not much difference was observed because the diabetics they performed the study on synthesize saturated fats when fed with sugar. Wherever you find these studies, stop taking information from them.
>>
>>32146983
I am looking forward to start a ketogenic diet. how am i able to control my cholesterol and them LDL?
>>
>>32150209

By doing the opposite of a ketogenic diet
>>
>>32150071
>all the world's experts are just behind the times
For very specific issues like this, they very well could be. They're not infallible.

>I'm ahead of the curve and I'm totally educated and way smarter than everybody
I never claimed this. This is a blatant ad-hominem.

>That actually never happened.
How retarded are you?
Ever looked on the nutrition labels of "light/diet" products? Take for example peanut butter. They remove a part of the fat and replace it with sugar.

>We eat more fat now than we ever have.
Yes, because we eat more in general. More calories = more fat.

>Nobody has any doubt about it at this point
That's just wrong. There are recent studies that show their doubts.

I'm just gonna leave this here and stop this fruitless discussion (>you: "gobment says it's bad, so it's bad. >I: "In moderation it might not be bad.")
http://examine.com/faq/is-saturated-fat-bad-for-me
>>
>>32150215
So you are not recommending ketogenic diet as a good diet?
>>
>>32150169
>using funding sources to fuel conspiracy theories

At this point I just think you're a vegetarian kook who uses feelings instead of logic for arguments.

I'm done here.
>>
>>32150169
Thanks for this detailed response.
I am of opinion that sat. fat intake in moderation is not unhealthy.
But I will keep this in mind and I might change my opinion.
>>
>>32150209
Keto is perfectly fine. It's been used for decades to treat epileptics and there has been no adverse side effects. Keto has not been shown to have any major problems despite numerous studies being funded to prove otherwise.

You are welcome to research more into this issue. Anyone who says otherwise about Keto are pulling shit out of their asses.

>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

>Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

>The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.
>>
>>32150250
Sketchy funding sources don't automatically discredit a study, but they should make you weary of its conclusions.
>>
>>32150222

>For very specific issues like this, they very well could be. They're not infallible.

Not infallible, but weigh their expertise versus yours or anyone else who disagrees with them. It's all of the world's most experienced, educated scientists, studying a major contributing factor to what is the most major cause of death in the western world. Humble yourself a bit and admit you don't even deserve to have a real opinion on the matter, you're uneducated and have no clue about the topic. It's one thing to be skeptical and to accept it while asking questions, it's another to say everybody who's qualified to talk about it is completely wrong, especially when you're not at all familiar with the science

>How retarded are you?

I'll save you the trouble of having to actually research this yourself and just point you to the macronutrient breakdowns of the American diet from 1909 to 2010

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/nutrient_content_of_the_us_food_supply/KilocaloriesandMacronutrientsPerCapitaperDay1909-2010.xls

Whatever you want to assume the American diet is, fuck off with that and look at actual data. It's very high in fat, very high in refined carbs.

>Yes, because we eat more in general. More calories = more fat.

Didn't you say people eat less fat now? Apparently people aren't living off steamed rice and broccoli, they're eating lots of fat.

>That's just wrong. There are recent studies that show their doubts.

Same sentiments as above, the data required to convince you isn't the data required to convince people who actually know how to interpret studies, because you're not a scientist.
>>
>>32150241
ketogenic diets are fucking stupid as hell. your body needs carbohydrates to function properly.

if youre morbidly obese and already dont give a shit about your health, and want to lose massive amounts of weight in an unhealthy way, then I guess that's the only time I'd recommend a ketogenic diet.

otherwise just restrict your carbs and go over some macronutrition articles and learn to eat properly for your fitness goals
>>
>>32150423
BROSCIENCE. Doesn't understand the fundamentals of the ketogenesis.
>>
>>32150250

I didn't just say "funded by industry, it's bad" I pointed out why they're badly designed. The fact that the studies are bought by people who would profit from the conclusions just means you need to look at them more closely, because it's very unlikely that they'd publish a study that doesn't make their product look good. I can find you studies funded by the National Confectioner's Association that claim candy isn't harmful

>>32150286

No problem, and sorry if I come off as a bit abrasive, I just get annoyed seeing people fall for the same things from the same websites that try to muddy the waters about this topic. People are too eager to believe what they want about diet and end up hearing all this propaganda without understanding the mainstream side of the argument. People need to be skeptical of good news when it comes to nutrition. If you want to believe it, chances are it's not true
>>
I'm 18 and have an LDL of 200
I'm not even fat

Pls help I want to live past 30 ;_;
>>
>>32147258
>your body can't absorb the protein
>so you pee out the extra

Holy shit bro, looks like you just failed basic anatomy.
>>
>>32150473
not op, but i think it's comical that a random internet retard is challenging someone with a legitimate education in their field. go about your business.
>>
>>32150288
Thank you mane

>>32150423
But i still get some carbs in my keto diet. From my tdee (2900) i guess 70 gr-ish of carbs is okay?
>>
Haven't found much to disagree with from OP, other than the notion that consuming more than 15 grams of protein at a time is a waste - implies digestion occurs instantly - and the use of ratios to calculate macronutrients instead of gram totals.
>>
Is it necessary for all the vitamins to be listed under the nutritional label? Sometimes I see that I read that a specific food is supposed to be rich in a certain nutrient but it doesn't match up on the label. I bought fresh broccoli the other day, which is apparently supposed to be rich in Vitamin K but it wasn't listed on the label.
>>
>>32150544
Also forgot to mention Vitamin B. Everyone says meat has a significant amount of it but it's never listed on the label.
>>
>>32150473
Your body does not store extra amino acids lol
>>
>>32150472
Start munching em statins brah
>>
>>32150440
man I don't give a fuck about the fundamentals, and even though that's an ignorant statement anyone who thinks eating pounds of bacon a day is healthy is a complete idiot.

during the rise and height of the popularity of keto diets on forums full of autistic fucks such as SA, I saw countless unhealthy people switch to this diet due to the fact that they could eat ground beef 24/7.

not once did I see anyone get actual positive fitness results, the fatties dripped off pounds and were left feeling like utter shit, then rebounded in weight when switching off the diet because theyre addicted to cookies. fit people trying the diet, getting through the lack of energy phase, etc. acclimatizing themselves to it, had shit skin and looked like death even when doing ok.

some idiot even killed his dog feeding it a ketogenic diet, further reinforcing it as a meme diet for complete idiots. please prove me wrong with some bodybuilders or fitness experts that dont look like shit on the diet, I havent researched it greatly and ive only been exposed to this shit on forums and imageboards due to in being fundamentally retarded.
>>
File: so swole.png (133KB, 449x298px) Image search: [Google]
so swole.png
133KB, 449x298px
>>32150595

>some idiot even killed his dog feeding it a ketogenic diet

Isn't that what dogs normally eat?
>>
>>32150595
>ignoring actual scientific studies showing keto is absolutely fine
>uses misapplication as an excuse to slander

Why aren't you arguing the futility of bodybuilding? How some people fail their routines and thus bodybuilding must be a farce?

Why aren't you discussing how caloric deficits are bad because some people are anorexics?

Use an actual scientific study to prove me wrong and use less "feelings" and "anecdotal evidence"
>>
>>32147076
Do you macro alcohol lol
>>
>>32146983
Hey OP I was diagnosed with probable hepatic faillure, which foods can I eat to help my liver cure and what should I avoid?
Thanks for your help
>>
are there repercussions to diet deficit of >500kcal?
>>
>>32150657

>>ignoring actual scientific studies showing keto is absolutely fine

Not that guy, but do you mean this one >>32150288?
>>
>>32150657
im arguing the futility of switching to a diet that requires a massive and structured lifestyle change for people that consider an entire box of oreos a snack. keto works in weight loss, eating pure meat as 90% of your diet is disgusting.

idk what youre talking about re bodybuilding and anorexia, those things both exist.
>>
I'm pre-diabetic, what food/supps should I be looking to buy?
>>
>>32150726
The point is you're building up a strawman argument against a legitimate diet. Keto has worked for many people and despite the lifestyle change can be well worth it.

There is inherently nothing "unhealthy" about keto.

I agree that the lifestyle change is drastic and--as with any diet--many dieters relapse once they stop.

You must be a moron if you don't understand the correlation of saying keto is bad because people misapply it and saying caloric deficits are bad because some people misapply it (anorexia).
>>
>>32150809
no i know im just arguing for the sake of it, im not really informed on the diet at all

i still think its dog nasty tho
>>
>>32150732
Talk to your fucking doctor. Basically you should be concerned about the glycemic index of your food, you want food that won't spike your blood sugar levels.
>>
>>32150700
You will lose weight
>>
File: ketosis side effects.png (18KB, 407x338px) Image search: [Google]
ketosis side effects.png
18KB, 407x338px
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/ketosis.html

>high levels of ketosis in the short term can be serious and the long term effects of regular moderate ketosis are only partially known at the moment.
>General advice is to keep ketones levels low to prevent any risk of organ damage, particularly to the kidneys and liver.
>High or very high ketone levels may be indicated by vomiting or the presence of ketones on the breath, which may smell ‘fruity’ or reminiscent of nail polish remover.
>there is no particular ketone level that has been regarded as safe over the long term.
>>
>>32147138

duuuude, I'm not alone. so glad to read this, anon. I mean, it sucks, but. I thought I had like ass cancer or something...
>>
File: It-is-KNOWN.gif (882KB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
It-is-KNOWN.gif
882KB, 427x240px
>>32150875
It is known that keto is not meant for diabetics.
>>
>>32149794
>"rational" wiki

Lmao

Fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>32150071
>That actually never happened. People were told to eat less fat AND less sugar, and people ate more fat and more sugar. We eat more fat now than we ever have.

just about anything in this sentence is wrong.
the pyramid tells to get rid of the calories from fat and use mostly carbs
fat consumption has been declining, obesity is rising

>mfw doing keto and feeling fantastic
>>
>>32150628
>>some idiot even killed his dog feeding it a ketogenic diet
>Isn't that what dogs normally eat?

no, you need to feed him carbs, we all just need more carbs. forget about evolution.
>>
>>32152255
If you go on a no carb diet how the fuck do you get your vitamins? Fruit is packed with carbs
>>
>>32152292
i don´t think a no carb diet is necessarily good. i am just doing well with a diet that takes 60% calories from fat and then goes mostly with vegetables, nuts, etc... not carb free and super high on vitamins
>>
File: 2367489.jpg (90KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2367489.jpg
90KB, 800x600px
>dumping based high fat low carb food
>>
File: 82343909843.jpg (28KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
82343909843.jpg
28KB, 650x300px
>>
File: 786560987.jpg (290KB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
786560987.jpg
290KB, 1280x857px
>>
File: 3100269f2b0b59a18.jpg (345KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
3100269f2b0b59a18.jpg
345KB, 1000x750px
>>
File: 6a00e55015ee.jpg (1MB, 3467x2558px) Image search: [Google]
6a00e55015ee.jpg
1MB, 3467x2558px
>>
>>32146983

What do you think of GOMAD and Rippetoe's nutrition advice in Starting Strength?
>>
>>32146983
Do you have an opinion on 16/8 IF?
Do you think there are hormonal or fat loss benefits?
>>
>>32152355
anyone wanna see more?
>>
>>32152385

No
>>
File: 1429245983770.png (125KB, 735x422px) Image search: [Google]
1429245983770.png
125KB, 735x422px
>>32148106
gg anon
>>
>>32148106
>the day /fit was intelligent
>>
>>32146983
I got a question related to nutrition. What's the best diet to lose about 10 pounds?
Low carb diet? Low calorie diet? Low fat diet?
If so, how much carbs, how much proteins?
>>
>>32146983
>height?
>>
>>32146983

Why did you choose to be a quack instead of training in a real medical discipline?
>>
Sorry about that, everyone. There was a storm that knocked my power out last night.

>>32147468
It is the other way around. In the USA at least, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. Dietitians have to pass board exams, have a degree, and a clinical internship.

>>32147541
>Your body can absorb much more protein than that in that period of time. Outdated info.

It depends on your size, muscle mass, activity levels, water consumption, and many other factors. We use 12 to 15 as a control considering most, if not all, of my patients aren't muscular people.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3197704/
However, if you take a look at this study researchers found that on average, their subjects who had 90 grams of protein in their meal got exactly the same level of benefit as their subjects who ate 20-30 grams of protein.

>Still no strong link between cholesterol and cardiovascular disease.
See: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/bcbp/molbiochem/MBWeb/mb2/part1/lipoprot.htm

The low-density lipoproteins (bad cholesterol) transfer lipids (fats) through your blood stream into the cells of your body. Due to the fact that the proteoglycans in your endothelial cells easily retain oxidized forms, if you have more than 200 mg/dL of low-density lipoproteins in your blood, it can cause the endothelium to oxidize. More importantly, because they transfer lipids throughout the body, they can end up in arterial walls and cause blockage.

>Saturated fat is overhyped as the 'bad fat'
It's only considered "bad" because the negative effects it can have on your cardiovascular health. You have to maintain a "bad cholesterol" level of at least 80 mg/dL, otherwise you're at risk of shutting down your nervous system.

Also, dietary cholesterol isn't the same as trans/saturated fats.
>>
Are eggs bad for you?
>>
>>32153369
>http://www.rpi.edu/dept/bcbp/molbiochem/MBWeb/mb2/part1/lipoprot.htm

>no empirical data
>lipid hypothesis
>2015
>doesn´t know what the difference between a correlation and a causality is
>can´t into artefact

dude stop pretending you can into science
>>
>>32152786
Caloric deficit

READ THE STICKY YOU FAGGOT
>>
>>32153444
If you can post proof saying otherwise, I'm all ears. This is what is accepted in the medical community. A physician will tell you the exact same thing.

There is more evidence showing that LDL transfers lipids into arterial walls than what shows it doesn't.
>>
>>32147602
Egg yolks are fine. Dietary cholesterol isn't the same as eating saturated and trans fats. It hardly contributes to the blood cholesterol level, if at all.

>>32147725
Be careful going into hyperalimentation, because in a lot of cases you just end up gaining excess body fat. If you appropriately balance your diet and physical activity, you can avoid that. I'd need more info before I can suggest a ratio.

>>32147752
Balance is key. Getting sufficient nutrition from various food sources throughout the day is the best way to eat healthy. Stick with vegetables of varying colors and things like lean meats. Avoid eating an excess in calories, unless you're bulking properly.

You can bulk and eat healthy at the same time, though. That's certainly what I'd recommend as far as maintaining overall dietary health, at least.

>>32147779
I'm a 26 year old guy.

>>32147819
Two scoops is approximately 60 grams, right? You're better off with just one. Unless you're seven feet tall+ and 360 lbs. at 8-10% bodyfat, you'll never absorb 60 grams of protein before your body digests it.

>>32147834
I work at a hospital. People with health problems related to diet are recommended to me from their physician, and based on their blood work, body fat content, activity level, and other factors like metabolic diseases, I make them a nutritional plan.

Most of my patients are type II diabetics, but I'll occasionally get people with epilepsy and things like that. Diet is the best way to prevent disease.

>>32147864
>I eat probably just under the amount of calories required for someone of my size.
>What I don't get is that I have this stomach chub that just won't budge

Lower your caloric intake and start counting your calories. You can't just guess if you're concerned about your weight. You can't compare your intake to your sister, either, since you likely have different basal metabolic rates.

Keep a log of everything you eat and add up the calories.
>>
>>32153616
>you'll never absorb 60 grams of protein before your body digests it.

what about slower absorbing proteins like casein?
>>
>>32147890
There was actually a link between insulin resistance and things like artherosclerosis and pulmonary embolism. The lack of appropriate insulin signaling, especially in peripheral tissues such as adipose cells, results in abnormal lipid metabolism that consistently produces a proatherogenic phenotype, causing FFA levels originating in lipid, endocytosis of lipoproteins rich in triglyceride, and de novo lipgenesis which makes it so the body can't suppress lipolysis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1483180/

>>32147906
The B vitamin itself will not turn your urine green, but some combinations of B vitamins found in various compounding formulas will. It is not something to be alarmed about. You'll be fine.

>>32148122
I've never had any experience with it, to tell you the truth. There is no substitute or shortcut to a healthy diet, though.

>>32148326
Stay hydrated and wash your face with a deep cleanser 2-3 times per day. That's really all I can help with skin health.

Over 80% of cases of acne vulgaris are due to genetics.

>>32148435
Go to the doctor, anon.

>>32148503
Keep it under 6% of your caloric intake. Anything more is detrimental to your health.

>>32148596
Your chances of having a heart attack at that age are low. I did have a 24 year old patient who had a heart attack and was only around 240 pounds, however, so diet and cardiovascular exercise should be your primary concerns right now. You can do it.

>>32148837
>half a pound of fruit
Way too much.

>I don't eat vegetables.
Start.

>>32149090
There really isn't enough hard evidence on the causes of gynecomastia to tell at this point. Around a quarter of the cases are unknown in origin, so it's a mystery for now. My guess is no, though.

>>32149532
I've only ever prescribed a patient a ketogenic diet once, and it was a guy with epilepsy to help control his seizures. Works pretty good for that. He hasn't seized in 9 months now.
>>
>>32153616
Any merit to taking BCAAs during workout??
>>
>>32146983
Currently in my 2nd year of my Nutrition BSc, hoping to do my masters in dietetics and Kings College, London. Any tips for an aspiring dietitian?
>>
File: nomnom.jpg (86KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
nomnom.jpg
86KB, 960x720px
Had this for lunch the day before yesterday...
How am i still alive? (930g Sausages, 200ml Ketchup)
>>
>>32149769
>There's no such thing as "too much fruit"
If you're gorging on fruit, you might as well be downing a couple of cans of mountain dew a day. Boy that's a lot of sugar.

>>32149869
>Saturated fat in moderation has not been proven be bad for you

That is correct, but it does for a fact increase LDL levels, which in several studies has shown to be bad for your cardiovascular health.

>>32153746
Whey and casein have fundamentally different effects, but they complement one another quite well. Some lifters and athletes will actually use both differently throughout the day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11158939

>>32153755
It's good, especially if you're just getting started in the weight room and don't want to get tired as quickly. I approve. 8/10. But only during the workout. Before or after won't be as effective.

>>32153774
Not sure how they do it in London, but here in the states dietetics programs are heavy in microbiology and organic chemistry. Those are usually the biggest bumps for students, so if you can conquer that, the nutritional courses will be easy. Good luck mate.

>>32153803
R.I.P. in Pieces, anon's gastrointestinal tract. We knew ye well.
>>
>>32153822
I tend to buy a protein mix of 33% whey, egg protein and casein and use that as an anytime shake. Any problems with this?
>>
>>32153822
Which would you say is better? EAAs or BCAAs? or does it not matter?
>>
>>32153803
was it tasty you fat sack of shit
>>
this thread still going? I thought everyone was gonna ignore this guy when he said you can't process more than 15 grams of protein in one meal...
>>
>>32153858
I personally haven't had experiences with EAAs, but from the studies I've found, it synthesizes just as well. Either would be fine. Keep track of your results!
>>
>>32153876
I thought you were going to provide counterevdience to prove me wrong.

I posted sources, now you can post yours.
>>
>>32153822
In regards to protein synthesis vs intake... I'm cutting right now, doing IF and ingesting 50% of my daily protein (typically 230-250 grams) in two meals within an 8-hour window. To minimise muscle loss during this cut, would I be better off eating my protein in several smaller doses?

I'm 6'', 95kg if that helps in some way.

Also, what's your view on this article on the topic?
http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
>>
>>32153822

Would you recommend fish oil and how much? Any specific dosage of EPA and DHA per day?
>>
>>32153876
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19776143
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413096
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10867039
>>
>>32153972
was meant to this>>32153896
>>
>>32153862
So delicious, but I'm a skelly, though..
>>
>>32153972
>>32153987
None of these links support the hypothesis that

"the human body can absorb and retain more than 30 grams of whey protein in one hour"
>>
>>32153929
I think several smaller doses would be okay.

>Also, what's your view on this article on the topic?

Interesting read, but no scientific merit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3197704/

>>32153934
They can be good, but if you're just taking it to protect your heart, it may not be so good. There's a study showing that omega-3 fatty acid supplements did nothing to reduce heart attacks, strokes, or deaths from heart disease in people with risk factors for heart disease.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1205409
>>
>>32154022
my bad, didn't read they whey part in your first post
its all good
>>
>>32154078
>They can be good, but if you're just taking it to protect your heart, it may not be so good

So what are they good for? I started taking it just a few days ago because I couldn't find any sources NOT recommending them, I don't have any specific health worries.
>>
>>32154106
It's fine m8.

>>32154113
There have been some trials with it for treating/preventing breast cancer in women, but outside of that it isn't good for much. There isn't any conclusive evidence that omega-3 fatty acids are associated with a lower risk of morality.
>>
>>32154169
>outside of that it isn't good for much

Any sources on this?
>>
>>32154196
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22968891
>>
>>32154078
Just asking you a more general question; what is your opinion on IF?
>>
>>32146983
Under which conditions does adipose tissue store large amounts of glycogen, and what are the implications.

I recently read several studies that showed that adipose tissue has a huge variance in density and amount of fat stored, generally ranging from 50-90% of their weight, and well as other studies suggesting that a part of the obese population appear to be 'metabolically healthy' (other implications of obesity aside), while others, as well as many not obese people are at high risk. I feel like this might be related.
>>
I need to lose weight pretty fast due to circumstances, so I take small amounts of dexedrine, how much damage and how fast will i do to my body by doing this?
>>
Will batteries explode if punctured?
>>
>>32147138
I was the same, cut out a lot of carbs from my diet and now my shits are as hard as rock
>>
>>32154218
IF and CR can be successful if done properly, and even beneficial to health in some cases.

There aren't a lot of studies on it, so I don't prescribe it to patients, but there is more info on it being productive rather than detrimental, so I support it.

>>32154226
Reintroducing nourishment after a prolonged fast produces a marked transient spike in adipose glycogen, which dissipates when the lipids resynthesize.

>>32154261
There is no shortcut. It can have detrimental effects on your cardiovascular health and you can get reduced bloodflow to your arms and legs, on top of tachycardia. I would absolutely not recommend taking this anymore.
>>
>>32147138
plus add some Psyllium Husks to your diet (capsules or other), you can get it from most health stores. Helps hold your shit together
>>
>>32153929
>50% of my daily protein (typically 230-250 grams)
holy shit you usually eat 500g of protein?

rip in peace anons kidneys
>>
>>32154425
Poor phrasing; daily proteins are 230-250 grams.
>>
>>32154444
why the fuck would you eat 250g of protein, do you weigh 150kg?

>inb4 1g/lb
>>
>>32147138
>I constantly have diarrhea, and I eat mostly chicken and rice with some fast food sprinkled in.
apparently you dont eat fiber
>>
>>32146983
I'm a 25 yo male, 175 lbs 6 feet. I've been lifting for about a year now, but never really paid attention to my diet. Being about time for a change, I started to eat as much protein and as little as carbs/sugars as possible. I am not counting my calories, but I've been eating with moderation. I also recently started doing some major compound excercises (before I mainly did seperate muscles).

All good and fine, however Ive been struck by a lot of fatigue. Trembling and weak on my legs. I have slept and eaten more then enough, yet I feel like I havent eaten/slept in 24 hours. Is this because of the compound excercises? Because of the cold turkey on sugars? Is there anything I can change, or is it just something I'll have to go through with?
>>
Are BCAA useful for muscle gain or just for lean gain?
>>
>>32150473

why the hell would anatomy teach you biochemistry and endocrinology concerning metabolism and nutrition?
>>
>>32150699

No OP but we need to know the cause of hepatic failure to figure this out, it may not be a nutrient problem. Is it primary or secondary? intracellular or extracellular? endocrine problems? Any concurrent disease?
>>
>>32154722
because that guy probably has no idea what hes talking about and is mad because real science destroyed his bro science and the routine he has been following for liek 6 months has all gone to waste
>>
I'm doing a cut right now. My friend has been trying to tell me that sugars are evil and I should eat high fat. I haven't seen any evidence suggesting that the ratio of fats to carbs really makes a difference though. If I'm eating adequate protein, does it really matter?
>>
>>32147259
Dear tripfag. I have to shit 30 min to two hours after having caffeine, without fail and usually have to piss 15 minutes after. I almost never have caffeine. What is wrong with me? Do I have aids?
>>
>>32146983
How bad is no xplode for my body
>>
>>32154808

if you don't have caffeine then don't worry about it. Caffeine is a methylxanthine and a natural diuretic. For me too, it really gets my shits moving.
>>
>>32153497
google inflammation theories of heart disease, i won´t do your homework
>>
>>32147880
>seralini
>republished study in rats designed to get cancer after it was retracted from reputable journals, now in shit journals
EBIN
B
I
N
>>
>>32154758
To his credit, you shouldn't be passing proteins/amino acids in your urine unless you have kidney disease. OP may have meant it will be lost in feces though.
>>
File: hamplanet.png (23KB, 728x248px) Image search: [Google]
hamplanet.png
23KB, 728x248px
>>32147864
you are being delusional with your calorie intake.
please read this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084
>>
>>32147214
Careful with this advice.

Had knee pains, kept squatiing, even recorded my form and sent to a competitive powerlifter who said my form was decent. Went to a orthopedic surgeon, said my knee was fucked and I have a meniscus tear.

Surgery 2 weeks later and recovery took a month. I now also have arthritis in my knee for life because I've been walking around with a meniscus tear for years.
>>
>>32146983
Are there any natural appetite suppressant supplements? Or foods that keep be full longer?
>>
>>32154671
BCAA are aminoacids that are found in animal proteins(not only) and are needed to build muscle

supplementing BCAA's has no use unless you do fasted training
>>
>>32154486

Read the fucking sticky before you ruin your health you gigantic moron.
>>
>>32155057

Shaving foam works for me. one scoop keeps me feeling full for an extra 2 hours.
>>
>>32147541
Do you have a source on the protein stuff? I usually have a huge protein shake for breakfast that covers half my needs and I need to know if I'm wasting it.
>>
>>32154475
I was about to defend myself, instead I googled around a bit and have realised that I am probably consuming about 20% more protein than I actually need.

Thanks.
>>
>>32155386
>I am probably consuming about 20% more protein than I actually need.

my thought is, better to have 20% too much than not enough.
>>
>>32155415
Yeah, but those percent account for one protein shake. I'd much rather have an avocado or some more carbs while cutting, for satiety and whatnot.
>>
>>32153750
>>32148837
>>half a pound of fruit
>Way too much.
Half a pound of fruit is way too much? Cmon now, even 250g grapes contains only about 40g of sugar (same amount as in one can of coke).

>>I don't eat vegetables.
>Start.
I asked what I am missing out on. If I can get the needed minerals/vitemins/whatever from other sources besides vegetables, I really wanna know which sources are available.
To be honest, I don't think not eating vegetables matters much, considering the rest of my diet. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
>>
>>32152292
most keto/paleo guys still advocate eating lots of vegetables
>>
Have there been any studies done on the subject of weight regain/body composition during the maintenance weeks following a cut?

I see a lot of people say eat high prot high carb low fat, but I fail to see the reason.
Of course I always assume maintenance calories here. Is there any benefit or disadvantage of doing either:
High prot, low carb, high fat (25/20/50)
High prot, high carb, low fat (30/50/20)
High prot, mod carb, mod fat (30/35/35)
>>
>>32146983
do you choose dark chocolate as your staff pick?
>>
>>32153822

>If you're gorging on fruit, you might as well be downing a couple of cans of mountain dew a day. Boy that's a lot of sugar.

How did you become a registered dietitian?

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

>The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

Anything negative about refined sugar does not apply to fruit. Fruit offers only benefits.
>>
>>32152292
On keto you still consume about 40 grams of carbs a day. When I did keto I stayed in ketosis even at about 60-80 net grams of carbs a day. A medium peach is net 12 grams. A banana is net 24 grams. 10 strawberries is net 8 grams. Avocado, the patron fruit of keto, is fatty and nutritious and has 2 net carbs.

As part of a balanced keto diet, the carbs you consume should be from fresh fruits and vegetables. It's not a diet devoid of carbs, its a diet devoid of relatively empty carbs like bread and pasta.
>>
>>32154871

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fncQog26Jeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MLcihU009Q
>>
>>32158161
>fatty trying to justify downing his bodyweight in sugary snacks

protip: if you have a sweet tooth, thats a sign of high estrogen

only women like excessive sweet snacks

high test makes you crave savory stuff instead
>>
File: butter.png (281KB, 686x812px) Image search: [Google]
butter.png
281KB, 686x812px
>>32158427

Fuck you, big boy. Manly men eat fruit. Keeps you lean and full of testosterone. Fatty foods just make you fat and give you estrogen-filled bitch tits.
>>
>>32158491
>Fatty foods make you fat

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
File: Discovering Nutrition volume 3.png (283KB, 685x793px) Image search: [Google]
Discovering Nutrition volume 3.png
283KB, 685x793px
>>32158500

>fat is directly deposited in adipose tissue immediately after consumption
>scientists can tell what kind of fat is in your diet by studying your body fat
>>
>>32158544
Eating fat doesn't make you fat you fucking moron

Eating an excess in calories does
>>
>>32158565

Specifically, an excess in fat calories.
>>
>>32158544
*fat is directly deposited in adipose tissue immediately after consumption if not used as fuel
>>
>>32158572
No, an excess in calories.

It doesn't matter what they come from.

If you manage to eat over your TDEE in spinach, you'll still get fat.
>>
>>32158592

Only if it's GMO spinach modified to contain a lot of fat. Stay chunky, my lard-loving brother.
>>
>>32158614
Read the sticky please
>>
File: 1429665094456.jpg (41KB, 765x606px) Image search: [Google]
1429665094456.jpg
41KB, 765x606px
>>32158491
what the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>32158650

The sticky is a basic guideline written by an amateur. I'm laughing my testicles in half imagining you going into the University of California to speak to their nutrition professor and say "e-excuse me, b-but the.. the s-sticky on /fit/ s- *clears throat* s-said ummmm...."
>>
reading through this thread and it almost seems like nobody knows what theyre talking about
>>
Nutrition science beyond identifying deficiencies is a load of fucking shit. You want to know how to be healthy? Eat lots of whole foods, exercise, lift heavy things, and don't be fat. Bam, I just did your whole job.
>>
>>32158721
Is OP a quack?
>>
Does milk increase the risk of testicular cancer and breast growth because of the estrogens in it or is that some FUD?
>>
File: usafuckyea.jpg (118KB, 538x712px) Image search: [Google]
usafuckyea.jpg
118KB, 538x712px
>>32158760
>>
>>32158893

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dairy-sexual-precocity/

Looks like it is the hormones.
>>
>>32159127
Don't test me fuccboi. Nutrition science is about as accurate as social "science", and anybody who calls themselves a scientist or expert in the field is a joke.
>>
>>32146983
How much salt is too much salt?
>>
Thoughts on Soylent?
>>
>>32146983
Are there any true negatives to being a vegetarian?
>>
>>32163147
No one will respect you
Thread posts: 268
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.