[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are Photographers/Artist making real money nowadays? ar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

How are Photographers/Artist making real money nowadays?
are there any "rockstars" of photography?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5DS
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
Photographerwww.morgannorman.com
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Image-Specific Properties:
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:01:08 21:39:36
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width900
Image Height572
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
One lucky shot turns you into a brand and then people start buying shit from you because your name is slapped onto it.
>>
>>6989
look up terry richardson
>>
File: sid.jpg (93KB, 634x646px) Image search: [Google]
sid.jpg
93KB, 634x646px
Wolfgang Tillmans
David Lachappelle
Rodney Graham
ed burtynsky
cindy sherman
annie leibovitz
>>
>>6989
It's all networking, aside from one or two huge lucky breaks (Alec soth went from small time stuff immediately to the Whitney Biennial).
>>
>>6989
Ken Rockwell is probably the best photographer alive desu
>>
>>6994
Kill yourself
>>
>>6989
SEBAS
TIAO
SAL
GADO
>>
Joey L is quietly a GOD among "rock stars".
>>
>>6997
Literally the only photog i know by name. His work is great but he's not re-inventing the wheel. I get the feeling anyone could go out and copy his style and be very successful. He just keeps it simple and sticks with good principles and doesn't try gimmicky shit.
>>
>>6998
>wheel. I get the feeling anyone could go out and copy his style and be very successful.

Trips checked. If that was true, why has no one else done it?
>>
>>6998
There's definitely a simplicity and familiarity in his work, but that definitely doesn't mean it's easily replicated. If you honestly believe so, I'd love to see you best attempt.
>>
Video work
>>
>>7000
>>6999
>>6998
It's not easily replicated by anyone but its doable for people who understand lighting.

His photos stand out though because of the subject matter. Although they appear heavily edited and I wonder if the sun in a lot of those is real or just an effect. Not that it matters for his clients and I'm not trying to bring him down either, but its important to identify that so we can differentiate real photography from digital artwork.
>>
>>7002
Sometimes I wonder if you /p/haggots have a shortcut key that just auto-generates autisbabble. Maybe while you're at it you could point out the fact that anyone has yet to name an actual Rock n' Roll Allstar.
>>
>>7003
Sometimes I wonder if 4chan has a shortcut key for snarky, angry attacks over nothing. It's getting harder and harder to type something out without some shitter like you blowing their top.
>>
>>7003

Terry Richardson was mentioned in the second post, fucktard. Now quit ye this mortal coil my man.
>>
>>6999
Because I'm full of shit and not correct.

But I did watch a few of his videos where he explains how he took his shots. Seems to me his calling card is placing a secondary light diagonal to subject. It all seems very simple, but surely he makes it look easier than it is. If I had an extra $2k in the budget I'd love to see how closely I could replicate his work.
>>
File: y1ixXVa.jpg (972KB, 3000x2375px) Image search: [Google]
y1ixXVa.jpg
972KB, 3000x2375px
How exactly does the process of becoming a successful art/commercial photographer work?

How do they finance their projects while having still time to do the projects? Especially if they travel around and use a lot of film that they also have to get scanned and developed. How do they get popular companies as their clients? How do they get the money to produce a photo book that is sold in big bookstores? How do they get to photograph celebrities? How does their work get displayed in a big gallery?

It's all a mystery to me. How can I learn more about it?
>>
>>7007

you put a slash between art and commercial as if the two approaches were exactly the same.

they aren't.

art is academic; you have to have a degree in photography, at least a master's. then, you support yourself by either teaching, do commercial work on the side, or through patronage/grants/endowment/stipend. eventually you will sell prints worth enough (or if you're on the lower tier of the art market, you'll sell enough prints period) to support yourself. typically, though, you work within the confines of universities and get them to publish your monographs, etc. The commercial publishers like Taschen, Phaidon, etc all come later, well after you've achieved critical success.

Commercial photography can resemble art photography occasionally, specifically when it's decor-centered scenics, stuff like Peter Lik, etc. You know, something your parents would want hanging up in the living room. Most of the time, though, it's just a straight up capitalistic hustle. You start small, build up a portfolio and work your way up to big clients in the big city, if you're any good. A lot of the bigger commercial photographers also went to school for photography, though they typically went to one of those expensive commercial art schools like parsons, RISD, ACCD, or the now-defunct Brooks. Once you have the necessary skills, it's a matter of networking and salesmanship. The most important product you're selling is yourself. Everything else is secondary.
>>
>>7008
>you put a slash between art and commercial as if the two approaches were exactly the same.

I did that because I see some photographers doing both. On their site they will have advertisements they did for other companies but also personal artistic work. I would say fashion photography is somewhere between art and commercial.
>>
>>7009

nah, it's commercial. just because something is artistic doesn't mean it's capital-a Art.

portraiture, on the other hand, is art. you can also shoot fashionable portraits, but the intent is different.

also, if you a photographer's website and it's 90% commercial and 10% art, he's a commercial photographer, not a working artist. most working artists will do their commercial work anonymously, or they won't advertise it. it's sort of seen as being beneath them once they get to a certain level of success.
>>
>>7010
How do art photographers manage to get exclusive subjects? Like say if they want to do photographs inside industrial buildings? Or document something backstage? Do you need a lot of money and fame for that?

I like photography but I just don't know if I have the talent for it. Is it really something you can aquire through hard work? There is just so much competition, it seems so uncertain to be able to get success.
>>
>>7006
How the fuck does any you've said relate to
>How are Photographers/Artist making real money nowadays?
are there any "rockstars" of photography?

Are you lost? Did you honestly forget what thread you were posting in?
>>
>>7012
(you)
>>
>>7011

Sometimes you just gotta ask. Again, it's all about selling yourself and just putting yourself out there at the risk of rejection.

And success is really, really far from certainty. In fact, I'll be clear right now and tell you: you won't make it, or at least you won't be the next gursky. You can certainly eke out a comfortable living doing the yeoman's work of wedding photography and senior portraits. You might even get good and sell prints on the art show circuit like Alex Burke. However, the chances are unimaginably slim, nigh impossible, that someone is just going to stumble across your instagram and throw a book deal at you. It takes connections and networking and salesmanship to make it big in photography, but more than anything it takes luck.
>>
I worked my way from the bottom of the film industry starting off as an intern on a big tv show and am now rapidly climbing my way up the ranks as an on set photographer.

The trick is to be yourself and believe you can achieve whatever you want. But be careful what you wish for.

Follow this simple advice and you will shape your own future. Screen cap it.
>>
>>7008
>aster's in photography
please tell me that's not a real thing
>>
Chase Jarvis anyone?
>>
File: 2013_buchholz_berlin_17.jpg (170KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
2013_buchholz_berlin_17.jpg
170KB, 900x600px
>>6992
>Wolfgang Tillmans

truly groundbreaking stuff.......

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width900
Image Height600
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2013:12:05 15:59:45
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width900
Image Height600
>>
if it isn't for photographers your fashion shill was going to be real shit.
Some photographers are creative enough to make branding and create images that can ilude you to dress one way or another.

everything is about image.
>>
File: 1468944375886.jpg (199KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1468944375886.jpg
199KB, 1000x667px
>>16373
You should see Gursky's Rhein II then.
>>
File: 1280558_Gursky_Bangkok_V.jpg (448KB, 1440x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1280558_Gursky_Bangkok_V.jpg
448KB, 1440x2000px
>>16391
This is also from Gursky.
>>
>>16391
>>16406
i take random photos like this everyday

kek
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.