[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fashion Careers General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: CBILB6fWUAAzaBg.png (354KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
CBILB6fWUAAzaBg.png
354KB, 600x300px
So /fa/, I'm coming to you guys for help.
I'm a 19 year old community college student, soon to be transfer student at a university, and I can't help pick what school or what I should exactly study. Registration is coming and I need insight on where to apply. I would love to work in fashion shows, taking pictures of models, styling models and creating ads for companies. Even working for a designer label would be basically the dream. Any input on what I should look into and apply for? I'm thinking NYU Gallatin for advertising but I'm from Chicago. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>>
>>9641851
Are you me OP?
>>
question
my university offers no courses related to fashion design, you have to go to a completely different tech college in the same city to do it so it's not really an option

all the same i want to learn about it
what do i do
>>
>>9641876
industrial design or architecture
>>
Marketing and Communications

Major in one and minor in the other. Get a good internship at a PR firm or some sort of fashion related business.
>>
>>9641851
Fuck all of that. Don't go to college and start a fucking blog. Isn't that the trend nowadays?
All you need is one sweet idea that'll blow you up
>>
>>9641851
Parsons the New School for design :^)
>>
>>9643182
this. It helps if you're in a relatively /fa/ area too, so that its easier to get a good internship. you could do something more business related or more art/design related, so pick whichever one you want or are better at.
>>
>>9643217
Would you consider Chicago to be an /fa/ area in terms of finding an internship? I know they have a few liberal arts schools down here where I can study Fashion Merchandise and Marketing but I don't know if that's too narrow of a major.
>>
>>9643191
Before a blog U need way more connections and trustworthy ones!!!
Start ups are so competitive
A blog will make ur shit get stolen by the big brand or upcoming ones
>>
>>9643542
Chicago is much more well known for its top business programs than its art programs.
>>
>>9643182
>Advising people to study marketing
People, please don't fall for this April's fool. Marketing is a really shitty degree. I've spoken with multiple people that studied it and they were having ernormous trouble finding junior positions (anything better than internships) because there is simply not a whole lot of demand for it. One of those people told me that she was asking herself every day why she didn't study a real degree, like math, science, engineering.

If you really want to get into fashion not only as an interest but as a job, I'd say you should look elsewhere.

(I myself am studying Business Informatics)
>>
I actually go to fashion school.
If you want to be in the industry, study in the industry.
>>
>>9641851
STOP MAKING GENERALS
>>
>>9645068
There are 22 general threads in the catalog
>>
>>9644830
OP here, If you think I shouldn't study marketing then what would you advise me to study?
>>
>>9645179
Not the guy you're replying to, and I'm in college myself, but I'd advise something that indicates you know how aesthetics work. Anything design such as >>9641902 to fine arts.

DO NOT quote me on this as I'm the same age as you and probably more naive.
>>
>>9645186
Architecture was voted one of the shittiest fields to major in last year due to the shit need for jobs.
>>
>>9645191
No one is saying to be an architect. An architectural degree could help someone get a job in the fashion industry.
>>
>>9643542
I honestly don't know. You could probably answer that question better yourself then I can. I don't know if there's a direct line from like school -> internship -> job in the fashion industry there, but I'm sure you could make it work one way or another.
>>
>nyu
more like columbia rejects
>>
>>9643542
I'm essentially studying that at fashion school.
It is definitely not narrow; i don't know why you would think that.
>>
what about things related to fashion technology?
>>
guys so i got into columbia but my parents are pushing for me to study physics but like i really want to do something design-related, although i'm also afraid of making shit money, esp. when i have to pay off like 30k student loan debt for 4 yrs (which honestly isn't that bad). i'm planning on goin to graduate school no matter what i do though. help me
>>
>>9646124
>fashion technology
fashion institute of technology
did u even try
>>
>>9647123
stop letting other people make decisions for you and take a risk
>>
>>9647129
they're paying for half of it so i kind of have to let them have some say in it, plus i understand their concerns
>>
>>9647135
you're not seeing my point
>>
>>9647140
i guess not
>>
>>9647123
>i'm also afraid of making shit money
so do something you hate for the rest of your life who cares?
> i'm planning on goin to graduate school no matter what i do though.
then who gives a shit? like what you study as an undergrad matters toward grad..
>>
>>9647123
Major in physics and minor in design.

It is stupid as fuck to major in your hobby.
>>
>>9647146
>like what you study as an undergrad matters toward grad..

Like yeah, like it does. Like.
>>
>>9647150
it doesn't. at all.
>>
>>9647150
Sorry to break this to you but...
>>
>>9647106
These are also schools with tons of alumni, so its worth something having a degree from one of these schools as opposed to somewhere random (to an extent). However if you're working in design your portfolio is almost just as important as your resume/degree.
>>
File: 1414341197170.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1414341197170.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
NYU CAS niga here shoot questions
>>
>>9645277
These schools aren't even in the same city my guy
>>
>>9648260
kek you're right.
nyu is in the retard village
>>
I'm in the same position where I want to do something relating to fashion but can't decide what. I'm caught between Fashion Design, Fashion Merchandising, or Fabric Style. If all else, I also could go into something relating to business or economics.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.