[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quicky /fa/ I'm about to buy my first suit. Any guides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: Suit.jpg (89KB, 765x662px) Image search: [Google]
Suit.jpg
89KB, 765x662px
Quicky /fa/ I'm about to buy my first suit.

Any guides or help? I'm really clueless.
>>
get a black suit, they're dope as fuck

don't listen to any of the #menswear "muh guidelines" fags
>>
Don't listen to that retard above. If you want your suit to be versatile, at least go for charcoal grey. Black is only suitable for formal events like dinners and funerals
>>
NAVY SUIT BROS WW@?
>>
don't pay any attention to that dipshit

nobody remembers a charcoal grey suit, charcoal grey is shit and so is navy

if you want to wear black, wear black
>>
File: vilken-farg-pa-skor.jpg (68KB, 670x330px) Image search: [Google]
vilken-farg-pa-skor.jpg
68KB, 670x330px
>>9510778
>Black is only suitable for formal events like dinners
Wrong. Black strictly has tradition as a funeral colour. If you break that tradition then you can go ahead and break it fully, but if you don't want to break that tradition then never wear a black suit to any type of dinner, only to funerals. Now with that said, there's really no reason for you to get a black suit, especially since charcoal and especially navy are so much sexier and you don't risk looking completely clueless when it comes to people who actually do know proper dress codes.

Now other than colour, what exactly would you like help with?

Here's a fairly decent video from TM Lewin on how suits should fit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4l4khCUnIM

Pic related, what colour shoe goes with what colour suit.
>>
>>9511019
>>9510998
>>9510778
>>9510765
don't buy a suit or else you will be associated with these autists
>>
>>9511026
>people talking fashion on a fashion board
>autists
I think you'll fit in better over here: >>>/b/
>>
>>9511031
suits ain't no fashun m8, their workwear for corporate slaves
>>
>>9510765
>get a black suit
Yeah, get a black suit and a bowtier while youre at it. Dont want to buy an outdated piece of cloth without the proper accessories.
>>
>>9511032
You're retarded, suits are the pinnacle of men's fashion. You can fuck right off back to your shitty threads about sneakers, backpacks and whatever new "core" is trendy at the moment. Then go ahead and post your shitty basic as fuck gray and black "average high schooler" fit with bad posture and a "I was bullied most of my life so I have no confidence" stance in the WAYWT threads.
>>
>>9511032
>suits ain't no fashun m8
Thanks for the laugh. In fact, suits involve more tailoring than almost any other piece of cloth known to men. They are the pinacle of fashion.

>workwear for corporate slaves
Who are paid significantly more than people who work the same hours but wear loose pants. Certainly implies being enslaved.
>>
>>9511038
>>9511037
lmao didn't realise we were being invaded by the fedora lounge
>>
>>9511038
everyone is a slave under late capitalism
>>
>>9511044
Whats the point in using the term then? Being self employed also makes you a slave. Just because you can decide some things for yourself doesnt mean that youre depending on other people approving of them. Everyone is a slave. Slave to the fact that he requires money to live and needs to figure out of a way to make it.

So unless you inherit enough to never have to work a single day in your entire life youre automatically a slave to the system. The slave wearing a $10k suit sure as hell will have a better life than the one whos wearing baggy pants and is offered minimum wage, though.
>>
>>9511041
You're the invader here, faggot. /fa/ used to actually have style a bunch of years back, but as the average 4chan user's age declined with 4chan's rising popularity you fucking kids started coming here and you've pretty much destroyed the board. Put on your god damn hoodie and sneakers and go fuck yourself.
>>
>>9511050
>suit = wealth

typical suit autist, *tips lapels*
>>
>>9511053
You called people who wear suits wage slaves. And if we look at it from a statistical point I would go as far as claim that the average guy wearing a suit will have a higher income than the average guy not wearing one. Outliers always exist and I never claimed that wearing a suit equals being wealthy.
>>
>>9511052
holy shit grandpa don't get your tie in a knot
>>
>>9511059
If I didn't get my tie in a knot it wouldn't be much of a tie to wear now would it? Suck a dick.
>>
File: 1365136321635.jpg (39KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
1365136321635.jpg
39KB, 500x213px
>>
>>9511062
actually the most effay way to wear a tie is loose and hung over the neck
>>
File: 1339154871577.png (206KB, 450x371px) Image search: [Google]
1339154871577.png
206KB, 450x371px
>>9511086
Holy shit I am dying
>>
>>9511037
>>9511038
the expected effect was reached, thanks guys

continue wearing your tailored suits thinking you're the hottest shit on the planet

>>> reddit/mfa
>>
>>9510783
jacket looks too small
>>
If you like black get black, but just know that people will think you're going to a funeral.
>>
File: itrolu.png (87KB, 755x1255px) Image search: [Google]
itrolu.png
87KB, 755x1255px
>>9511111
Oh yeah the whole 'lol I troll u' post was completely unexpected.

>>9511123
Jacket is too small, lapels are xbox hueg, >black_tie.jpeg etc.
>>
>>9510783
those lapels, fucking enormous.
>>
>>9511127
most people aren't a walking infographic so they actually won't
>>
>>9511156
If you wear a black tie with a black suit, people literally will think you're going to a funeral.
>>
>>9511160
no one actually thinks like this anon
>>
>>9511168
Um, yes they do. Have you never been to an actual funeral? The black suit + black tie makes you look funeral as fuck. Unless it's a skinny tie, in which case it makes you look stupid as fuck. Go ahead and buy black suits but for fuck sake stay away from the black suit + black/white tie combo.
>>
>>9511245
>people at a funeral look like they are attending a funeral

wow gee i wonder why :^)

>not wearing skinny ties

maximum overpleb
>>
>>9511261
>people at a funeral look like they are attending a funeral
>wow gee i wonder why :^)
This has nothing to do with what I wrote, stop being retarded.

>wearing skinny ties
Oh hey, is this 2006 again?
>>
>>9511089
good
>>
>>9511276
lel i bet you think skinny jeans are out of style too
>>
This thread is a fucking disaster. If you're over the age of twelve you should own at least one fucking suit. Not owning one doesn't make you more "countercultural" or hip. It means you're a moron or a man child.
>>9510747
Navy or Charcoal. Get a light blue or white shirt (not the button down kind, the type you need to put stays in, collar-type is a matter of preference)

As for a tie, get a repp tie from Brooks Brothers, I sure hope you know what colors match
>>
>>9510783
>>9511155

please tell me they're supposed to be a joke
>>
What's the purpose of this thread again? I forgot.
>>
>>9511312
remind everybody that no one here actually knows anything about fashion, but prefer to regurgitate the same 6* opinions.

*opinions subject to change 2 years too late but still 1 year before reddit
>>
File: 13539642502339.jpg (808KB, 500x4301px) Image search: [Google]
13539642502339.jpg
808KB, 500x4301px
>>9510747
Op new anon here, I'll try to help. What is the event is it special or just every day.
if special - black, minimalist and tastefully tailored.
if everyday than there are more options available. Like charcoal, grey, brown, black, navy and so forth.

My pic is just some supplementary data. Also unless your salary is higher than 1000 bi weekly or you have lode e mone saved up. Check out thrift stores in rich neighborhoods - than get it tailored to your shape. Tailoring is more important.
Picked me up a Ferragamo 3 pc suit that was slightly used and big on me for just over 100. After tailoring total cost was around 180, not bad for what would've cost me damn near 8 times that amount.

>>9511041
Shit just got real homes.
>>9511050
Yo bismuth, curb dat edge man.
>>9511053
Suit=/= wealth
it's more of a preconceived social questions that
suit=power
in anycase it's not true, but simply perception conceived by social norms.
*tips cigar*
>>9511062
Laughed harder than I'd like to admit. Bravo chap.
>>9511168
Not even the person whose funeral your attending. black on black is simply that.
>>9511261
Some people can't wear skinny ties due to body image. A fat man in a skinny tie will only make himself look fatter. The opposite is true of a skinny person in a large wide tie.
>>9511276
I thought skinny ties were seasonal, not a trend. Guess I was wrong.
>>
Okay, so I am looking for some kind of dress pants that looks good with sneakers. What do you reccommend?
>>
>>9511342
>dress pants that looks good with sneakers
just get some slim fitting chinos
>>
>>9511348
Is it acceptable to wear chinos to a ball, where everyone is in suits and dresses?
>>
>>9511353
no, but neither are sneakers
>>
File: 13367402142225.jpg (555KB, 708x4986px) Image search: [Google]
13367402142225.jpg
555KB, 708x4986px
>>9511335
Social que - fuck autocorrect.
>>9511295
In this we agree anon.
young OP should check out the sticky to at least get a basic understanding of color.
If rolling navy, than its mostly casual. But I'd still say a poplin shirt as it has a more professional look- which is what I'm assuming he's going for. If not roll an oxford, it's more laid back and honestly more comfortable.

Best on ops body image I'd say skinny tie is thin/lanky
wide tie if more... heavyset.

Tie and belt don't HAVE to match but it's recommended 9/10 times. Put your color into your shirt, tie and socks.

The tie and socks should be more vibrant, the shirt a more subdued color. (Though a shirt with a more vibrant color and a black tie works)
>>
>>9511357
Fuck meant belt and shoe. Not tie and belt. Though tie and belt would be that 1/10
>>
>>9511356
I wanted to do something special, and giving my outfit my own touch
>>
>>9511364
unfortunately it won't be appreciated, unless it's an 80's-themed ball in which case go cop some lacoste sneakers
>>
>>9511373
rather wear my rafs
>>
>>9511335
>English cut
>little/no padding

>Italian cut
>very padded

>American cut
>moderate padding

Nope.jpeg, not even once. The American cut has light padding/natural shoulder, the Italian cut is slightly padded and the British cut has the most padding.
>>
>>9511353
You shouldn't even be going to a ball in a suit, you definitely shouldn't be going to a ball in chinos.

>>9511357
Navy is not a casual colour. The formality of suit colours: Charcoal = Navy > Everything else.

>>9511360
What are you even talking about? Shoes and belt should *always* match. If you wear dark brown shoes you should wear a dark brown belt, if you wear black shoes you should wear a black belt, if you wear burgundy shoes you should wear a burgundy belt etc. You shouldn't match the exact shade of i.e. the dark brown, but they should both be dark brown. There is absolutely no rule what so ever about matching your tie with your accessories, except for a possible pocket square (in which case the rule is rather to *not* match the tie and the pocket square). Preferably you should match metals to metals as well. Wearing a pair of monks with silver buckles? Then your belt buckle and your watch should preferably also be silver, but people generally aren't as autistic with that.
>>
>>9511411
I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about. I think we may have found a /menswear/ fan
>>
>>9511416
Nope you just found someone that's new. Sorry I fucked up so bad guys. Thought I had a grasp on it. I'm gonna go ack to lurking
>>
>>9511429
Don't sweat it. Don't lurk /fa/ for suit knowledge though, people here generally have very little knowledge of suits, business casual and that type of clothing in general. It's predominantly sneakers and black skinny jeans on here.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.