[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /fa/ggots, I need a new suit for work. I'm willing to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: screen480x480.jpg (19KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
screen480x480.jpg
19KB, 360x480px
hey /fa/ggots, I need a new suit for work. I'm willing to spend up to 3000 dollars on the suit itself plus shoes, a couple shirts, and some ties for it. What brand should I go for if I live in Zurich? Honestly I haven't had a tailored suit from anywhere besides mens wearhouse back in the states. I don't want to blow my entire load on an armani or something and have no money left over for everything else.

I was thinking hugo boss - are they alright?
>>
no suggestions? I'm not a businessman or anything but I want to look like I belong in this place
>>
>>9491793
Hugoboss is overpriced. If the suit is for work dont make the rookie mistake of blowing all your money on a single suit suit jacket & pants. Instead invest in 2-3 so you can rotate and dont have to work in the same piece of clothing everyday.
>>
>>9491810
it would be less of a daily suit and more like a once a week or two type of thing. Day to day it doesn't matter what I wear, but there are a lot of occasions where I need to dress up. I do want to buy more than jsut one, I just have no idea where to start as far as brands go
>>
>>9491818
Hugoboss is alright and there is nothing wrong with them, they are just a bit overpriced for the quality you get. It is sort of like the supreme for richer, older men. Not a terrific quality but great brand recognition.

If i were you i would head to the aquascutum webstore and pick something off the sale.

I dont know what kinds of events it is you are going to, but unless it is strictly black suit events i would cop something other than all black suits, maybe a grey wool and a dark navy one.
>>
>>9491839
I'm in the sciences so honestly even a 200 dollar highschool dance suit from jc penney would be a step up from my colleagues, but I do do a lot of public outreach where we are trying to convey a more professional image. I am not opposed to grey or navy, but black does seem to be the most versatile in my admittedly limited experience
>>
>>9491851
If you want to be completely traditional, all black is reserved for gala events. For outreach i think a darker, but not black suit would be a much better investement, perhaps even one with pinstripes if you are feeling adventurous. The only people who go to work in all black suits are asian busninessmen, and that is simply because they dont share the same cultural heritage as europe and america
>>
>>9491870
thanks for the advice. I'll check out that webstore, although I was a little apprehensive about buying online since I don't really know my size and was always told to get a tailored suit, but I suppose you could do that after the fact
>>
>>9491880
The only reason i reccomended that webstore is because i absolutely adore the brand. I havent bought for them but i have no doubt they can get their sizing right. If you area really unsure, go to your tailor and get measured so you are absolutely sure

And you are right, you should absolutely get your suit tailored, even the most expensive suit in the world looks hideous if it does not fit properly
>>
>>9491870
it's also funny that you mentioned asians - there was an asian dude who interviewed for a job with us recently who came in in an admittedly nice looking black suit with white shirt/red tie and he looked really out of place.
>>
>>9491896
now you see how right i am :^)
>>
>>9491839
Hugo Boss is not all right at the price they're asking with their shitty glued pockets and shit like that. Also there's no such thing as a 'black suit event', black suits are traditionally strictly for funerals.

>>9491870
A gala is a black-tie event (i.e. a tuxedo), NOT black suit. OP should start off with a navy and/or a charcoal suit, no exceptions.

OP with a budget of $3000 you can easily get a suit or two from a renowned Italian or British brand where you don't have to pay extra for the brand and still have money over for shoes and shirts. Also don't buy online, if you're going to invest a lot of money in a suit make sure it actually fits you. You live in Zurich, you should have no problem finding stores with good suits to try on. I know for a fact Zegna has a store in Zurich.

If you're going to buy two suits though don't buy something that's too expensive, you don't want to skimp out on the shirts and shoes. I can make a list of some decent suit, shirt and shoe brands if you'd like.
>>
>>9491870
>perhaps even one with pinstripes
Not unless you're at least 35. Young men in pinstripes look ridiculous, almost without exception.
If you want a bit of a pattern, better to go with something like a herringbone weave.

>>9492070
>black suits are traditionally strictly for funerals
How many people have to routinely ignore a 'rule' of fashion before it stops being a rule?
>>
>>9492080
>How many people have to routinely ignore a 'rule' of fashion before it stops being a rule?
That's why I said traditionally. My point was that there's no such thing as a black suit event, and the reason for that is because black suits are a very modern phenomenon and does not have the tradition behind it to have its own events.
>>
>>9491793
>Zürich
>3000$
>dont want to blow my entire budget
Do it like the swiss do, buy in Germany!
at minimum 30% cheaper. Or just do a weekend trip to http://www.outletcity.com/de/metzingen/
>>
>>9492080
And also, there aren't enough people that ignore that rule today. Black suits are not even close to as common in workplaces as navy and charcoal suits, and probably never will be, because black is not as flattering a colour as navy and charcoal.
>>
>>9492165
Couldnt that also be an American thing? OP is in europe, and from my observations, Black is a normal color for business suits.
Now most people who have to wear a suit are certainly no fashion experts, but as long as its just about fitting in and looking at least as good as your coworkers, black shouldnt matter.
And if its black, well fitting and not the cheapes thing from the department store, chances are quite good that you will be the sharpest guy in your department.
>>
>>9492179
Sure, a black suit that fits well is always going to look better than a navy suit that doesn't, but honestly there's really no reason to get a black suit if you know it's traditionally incorrect (which OP now does). A very dark navy looks better and you don't run the risk of looking completely clueless in the eyes of someone who actually does know dress codes. But if someone insists on a black suit that's up to them, I don't care since I'm not the one who has to wear it and they don't represent me in any way.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.