[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any suit guides? I'm buying my first one today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

any suit guides? I'm buying my first one today
>>
>>9451841
Don't get one too big or too small
>>
>>9451846
thats what you tell the salesmen, he'll have just the suit for you
>>
>>9451841
Go with navy or charcoal. Black is for funerals. Navy is more versatile since it can be worn with both brown and black shoes and accessories. Make sure it fits as close to perfect as possibly at the shoulders, other minor things can be altered easily. Also, no pleats, go with flat front trousers.
>>
>>9452059
navy may be more versatile as far as accessories, but charcoal is more versatile when it comes to situations you can wear it.
>>
File: 2007_09_fashionweekday3shot-1.jpg (29KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
2007_09_fashionweekday3shot-1.jpg
29KB, 320x480px
Make sure the waist is pulling at the buttons, the trousers end around mid calf, and the lapels are no more than 1/2" wide. The bottom of the jacket should end around wrist level or higher, and the sleeves should have functional buttonholes mostly unbuttoned.
>>
>>9452086
>but charcoal is more versatile when it comes to situations you can wear it.
Definitely not. Navy and charcoal suits are on the same level of formality, but brown shoes are of lower formality than black meaning a navy suit can be worn on both very formal occasions and less formal occasions.
>>
>>9452097
i shall not fall for your tricks
>>
>>9452097
>make sure the waist is pulling at the buttons
The fuck? That just means it's too tight.
>Mid calf trousers
You mean too short? You want a single break at the shoe unless you're wearing super tall ankle boots that won't get caught on the boot when you sit down
>1/2 inch wide lapels
Retarded advice, literally personal preference.
>Wrist level jacket length
Too short, arse will freeze off
>Functional cuff
Doesn't even matter and pretty much isn't available on most suits unless you buy designer on eBay or get lucky at the shop.

Anyway, OP. The best suit is a timeless suit. A timeless suit is not a fashion suit but follows a more traditional style. That doesn't mean that it needs to be ridiculously baggy and shit.

The basics you should look for are:

1. 2 Button Jacket - Most flattering for all body types unless you are a manlet (under 5'6) or a giant (6'4 and up)
2. 4 Button cuff, doesn't have to function, kissing buttons are my preference but I don't really care that much. 5 buttons looks like too many and 3 is too few. 1 works sometimes and is standard on dinner jackets
3.Grey or deep navy blue, my first suit was black, I can pull it off but most are too scared to try.
4. Double vents at the back, most flattering - single vent looks terrible, no vent is uncomfortable
5. Peak Lapels are the dopest but it's unlikely an entry level suit would have them, just get a decent notch lapel, doesn't need to be super thin
6. Don't get a pencil thin tie, looks retarded, that doesn't mean you need a ridiculously huge one either though.
7. Don't get flat front trousers, again, looks stupid as hell and fits perfectly with casual wear
8. Ideally, you won't be wearing a belt. Get the belt loops removed and hook yourself up with some suspenders
9, or just wear a belt like a pleb
>>
>>9452147
Best standard look for most people is probs a Deep navy 2 button suit with notch lapels, double vent, and 4 button cuff, white shirt, lighter blue silk tie done in a four in hand knot(half windsor if you're a pleb that thinks difficulty = quality, implying it's difficult to do a half windsor), white pocket square and black shoes
>>
File: 1324539681012.jpg (164KB, 765x662px) Image search: [Google]
1324539681012.jpg
164KB, 765x662px
>>9451841
>>
>>9452147

>>9452097 was obviously not serious. I mean just look at the pic he posted.
>>
op here, this is for limo driving so it needs to be black
>>
>>9452147
>7. Don't get flat front trousers, again, looks stupid as hell and fits perfectly with casual wear
Lol what? Pleated pants are so ridiculously out of style and flat front works perfectly fine as formal wear as well as casual wear.
>>
I have a pair of suit pants that are too baggy. the length is fine they just are loose, can they be tailored? or do I need new pants
>>
>>9452162
They might be out of fashion but they'll never go out of style. Sorry m8.
>>9452164
get them tapered
>>
>>9452170
can mens wearhouse do that or should I go somewhere else, forgive my noobness
>>
>>9452170
>They might be out of fashion but they'll never go out of style.
Did you just copy that from a gq article? They're out of both fashion and style you pleb.
>>
>>9452173
I dunno. Call them and ask. Probably should just go to a tailor that you find on Google. Just go in, put them on, tell them what you want, they'll pin them all the way down and then you'll probably pay like 10-15 quid and it will be done.
>>9452174
The only time I read anything from GQ was when I came across an article from them that was ripping Ozwald Boateng apart which was hilarious. Anyway, pleats are gr8 if you're a fatarse or if you like traditional style.
>>
>>9452176
>pleats are gr8 if you're a fatarse or if you like traditional style.
Now I'm starting to agree with you. But OP is buying his first ever suit, he's not going to want pleats, he's going to want something modern. If he wants more room in the pants he can buy a size larger and have the pants taken in at the waste.
>>
File: 1415570899507.jpg (44KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1415570899507.jpg
44KB, 640x640px
>>9452170
>They might be out of fashion but they'll never go out of style.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.