[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Blue Suit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

File: Valentino-1.jpg (51KB, 800x904px)
Valentino-1.jpg
51KB, 800x904px
Regular contributor here, now I need you /fa/

I am studying in a very competitive program in college and need some crazy clean outfits for either banquets, conferences, IRL or skype interviews. Chances are the next conference I meet my country's prime minister. I never bought a complete suit for myself but I was leaning toward a dark blue one since my blue eyes are my most beautiful feature. I'm 5'9 and very skinny.

What brand/fit would you recommend, considering I'm still in college, meaning I want it to look young and I don't want to take another loan to buy it.

Dear based /fa/ gods, please help me.

pic. related: kind of color I was thinking about
>>
>>9358364
Navy blue

What country are you in? Try J.Crew or Banana Republic or Brooks Brothers or something if you want a cheap suit like under $500.

You will have to get any suit tailored and that's like $100.

Just treat it as an investment.
>>
>>9358364

5'9 and very skinny? don't wear a goddamn blue suit. Esp. not if you're going to meet your country's prime minister. Don't draw too much visual attention to yourself if you can't pull it off.

Wear a black suit, or if you're feeling fancy, a grey one. A well-fitting black suit is the best you can do.

The blue suit in pic related looks like ass btw, at a banquet or conference you will look like a clown.
>>
>>9358386
>black

Wtf dude he's not going to the prime minister's funeral
>>
>>9358386
>black suit
fuck no

OP, a navy blue suit is perfectly fine
>>
>>9358385

I'm in Canada. Complete suits bought at the stores you've mentioned will require tailoring or not?

>>9358386

I kind of need to stand out to get an internship. When I meet company representatives at those kind of banquets/conferences they need to remember me, to put a face on the business card I give them. Plus I thought that a black suit would make me look ever more skinny.
>>
>>9358386

shut the fuck up
>>
>>9358407
Any suit you buy off the rack will require tailoring, unless for some unlikely reason they fit you perfectly (they won't)

You studying law/polsci?
>>
>>9358407
unless you get lucky, an off the rack suit will require tailoring

if you want to stand out, the most important thing is having a suit that fits you well
>>
File: tumblr_miqsrm3G4u1qc1spyo1_1280.jpg (366KB, 600x758px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_miqsrm3G4u1qc1spyo1_1280.jpg
366KB, 600x758px
if your in Canada go to moores or tip top, preferably moores. you can probably get 2 suits with alterations for under 6.
>>
>>9358425

Actually mining engineering. We're like 200 students across Canada fighting for 50 or so internships, and 3 of those are required to complete our degree.

>>9358427

Went to Moores for my graduation and afterward to look for a suit and always got upset by their lack of color suits. They have a shitload of gray and black suits, but nothing seems to fit for a younger man.
>>
>>9358427
Tip top/moors is shit polyester made in China garbage that'll make you look like an Aliexpress model

Epic troll mate

Op idk where u are in Canada but
Suit supply
Harry Rosen
The bay
Toms place somewhere in Kensington
Gotstyle
>>
>>9358434
the guy is trolling
Moores is like international clothiers level
>>
>>9358364
>skype interviews
You'll only need a shirt collar and half a tie.

>dark blue
That's called Navy, son.

I've tried on nearly every type of suit out there. My favourite brands are Ralph Lauren/Black Label, Theory, Brooks Brothers and Lanvin.

Some other great brands are Saint Laurent, Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Tom Ford.

If you're looking for something a little more classic, which might not suit you (no pun intended) since I assume you're very young. Nonetheless, Brioni, Zenga, Etro, BOSS, Versace, Canali, and Armani.

I'm only familiar with the upper/top-tier suits, but if you're budget is tight, I really recommend that you give Theory a look. They're priced well, decent quality, cut slim and have a modern design.

Of course, if you want to be the nicest dressed person in the room, you'll take all your clothing to a good tailor.

For shirts, I'm a big fan of Hugo Boss. They have these lightweight shirts that have this really nice stretch to them. I have mine tailored really slim, but they're still comfortable and don't restrict movement.

Keep your ties slim, not skinny, not fat. Belt must match shoes in colour tone and finish. Make sure you don't cheap out on your shoes. Most people here will recommend Allen Edmonds, but I think they're too wide and bulky looking. I prefer Salvatore Ferragamo. They're not the best "value", but they're my favourite shoe.

Hermes seems to be an interesting brand, but they come at a cost, even compared to the other brands I named. I don't own anything from them, but I've handled a few of their ties and belts. Truly top quality stuff.

Sieg might even lend in a word if he's not in a shitposting mood. Who knows. He seems to have a clue about menswear.

As for not wanting to take another loan to buy a suit. I have no idea what your price range is. I'm assuming you only need a suit and not a shirt, tie, shoes, belt, etc.

Also, please follow basic colour theory.
>>
>>9358447
Feels good knowing there's at least one other knowledgeable person on /fa/
>>
>>9358447
Just to help steer you in the right direction, with a suit, you're looking for several characteristics.

You're young, so you want a notch lapel. You also want that lapel to be thin. Wide lapels are outdated and skinny lapels are too trendy/cheap looking. You want only two buttons. My preference is for a single jetted chest pocket, on the left hand side. Nothing else. No lower pockets, no flaps. It's a suit jacket, not a pair of cargo pants. In the back, double vents looks better than single vents. You also want the jacket to fall halfway down you ass, to put it frankly.

For the inside, you want a nice contrasting satin-like finish. This will keep the jacket cool, and it won't stick to your shirt. With navy, a deep, dark read looks best. A nice white monogram-esque pattern looks nice as well. If you take the jacket off, it will give it a high-end look.

I think I covered it all.
>>
>>9358480
Thankfully not everyone on /fa/ is a 14 year old hype beast bandwagon hopper.

>>9358364
Oh you're in Canada. So am I. Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew are where I buy all my suits.
>>
>>9358500
I just felt like throwing this in here. In addition to following colour theory, please make sure that your suit is darker than both your shirt and tie, your tie is lighter than your suit, but darker than your shirt and that your shirt is lighter than both.
>>
>>9358447
>>9358481
>>9358515

Thank you so much!

Following your unbelievably good comments I have come up with this suit from Theory which seems to fit most of the points you've talked about. Did I do it right? Not planning to buy this particular one, just to be sure I understood well.
>>
>>9358529
That does look nice. If you buy that suit, (or a similar one) in the right size, then have it tailored, it will look great on you.

With altering suit pants, most people only hem them at the appropriate length. I would slim the legs too if I were you. Conventionally, suit pants tend to be a little baggy, which will look odd on someone young and skinny. I would have the legs slimmed. Perhaps, try aiming for something close to the picture I attached. Adam Levine's suit in this picture is ideal, as far as I can tell. I'm 5'10", 134 pounds so we probably have a similar build.

I'm more than happy to help. I love seeing successful young people. More often than not, kids don't seem to be putting as much effort into their studies than they should be.

Wow, that made me sound a lot older than I really am. Good luck with your endeavour. I'm also an engineer. You chose wisely and obviously you put in the work if you've made it as far as you have.
>>
>>9358568

I can't thank you enough for your good words and kindness. My faith in /fa/ has been restored. on this day.
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 406x594px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 406x594px
>>9358568
tfw i will never be a successful engineer ;_;
or an engineer
at least i could still be successful in something else i guess?
>>
>>9358364
Depends on what you're willing to spend.
WHATEVER you spend, invest in some tailoring for it. It will look infinitely better that way.
>>
>>9358639
also, make sure you tie the right knot for the type of shirt you're wearing.
and don't button the bottom button for Christ's sake.
>>
>>9358386
All the people disagreeing with this poster are fashionably retarded. The blue suit in op's pic looks like doo doo. Get a dark grey/charcoal color. Stop trying to stand out or you'll soon turn into a clown.
>>
>>9358629
engineer is a shitty job
>>
File: 1420949140548.jpg (76KB, 456x640px) Image search: [Google]
1420949140548.jpg
76KB, 456x640px
>>9358434
>200 students
>50 internships
>3 needed to do a degree
So only 15 students can graduate per year?
What a fucking retarded system. I hate modern education and having to suck up to people who consider themselves better than you because they are wealthy or have an important job. Fucking disgusting.

That said, good luck OP.
>>
>>9358385
>J.Crew or Banana Republic or Brooks Brothers
If OP is "very skinny" as he says, then this is terrible advice. I'm 5'10" and very skinny, and none of those stores have anything that's close to fitting a guy my size.
>>
>>9358568
Wait you can get legs slimmed ? Why the fuck do most tailors not tell you that ? Bought a BOSS suit a couple of years ago and though the legs are ok it would look so much better if those pants would've been slimmed.
>>
>>9360069
Anyone care to respond plz ?
>>
>>9359726
The number of internships offered depend on the market and right now mining and petroleun economy is shitty. That being said, you need to do your internships during your studies, which lets you 4 1/2 years to do them all. I know it is very competitive, to an extent unhealthy for education.
>>
>>9358364
OP, if your budget is <$500, your best bet is SuitSupply. They offer half-canvassed suits in s130 wool in a more italian cut (wider lapels, soft shoulders etc.) for a very reasonable price. The shipping and returns are also both free, so you can order several sizes if you're unsure and send back the other ones.
>>
>>9358385
>valued advice giver
you are 17 years old and own 0 designer peices
your opinion on anything means nothing
>>
>>9358386
You are dumb as a brick.
>>
>>9358434
I bought a Burberry London suit at Holt Renfrew for $1,600. Avoid the Hugo Boss store on Bloor, the service is generally poor and attention to detail is lacking.

If you're on a tighter budget, SuitSupply is probably your best bet.
>>
File: patek-philippe_mg_2584.jpg (66KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
patek-philippe_mg_2584.jpg
66KB, 600x420px
>>9360274
>Avoid the Hugo Boss store on Bloor, the suits are generally poor and attention to detail is lacking.

Fixed that for ya. Stay mad, fuccboi!
>>
>>9360163

but there is nothing to respond to

you have a shitty tailor/dont know what you want
>>
>>9360286
>Posting a picture of a Patek from your mother's basement.

sure showed me, faggot!
>>
>>9360257
>you are 17 years old and own 0 designer peices
stop projecting lmao
are you posting from your mom's basement?
>>
>>9359753
Brooks Brothers has tons of fits these days, unless you only go to the outlet stores.

OP go with Brooks Brothers, they tend to be around $1000-$1500 but the suit most likely outlast you.
>>
>>9359698
I'd strongly disagree. I make over six figures and I'm 28. Granted, I am working overseas, but it's hard to argue with those numbers. Even when I return, I'm making a considerable amount of money. Not to mention that I actually play a significant role in producing products.

If you can handle the math and have adequate time management skills, engineering is a great career choice.
>>
>>9360229
This exactly. You won't find better construction in that price range, and if you're going to be around grown-ups you'll really regret J.Crew with their dinky little lapels and shit.
>>
>>9360627
pls stop posting in every thread
>>
>>9358386
you're stupid as dicks
>>
>>9360627
you are the worst trip on 4chan
I wish I was kidding

you should consider going to reddit, you'd fit right in there
>>
>>9364101
i can't
i got banned from mfa lol
>>
File: 1421666297443.jpg (39KB, 436x600px) Image search: [Google]
1421666297443.jpg
39KB, 436x600px
>>9364315
>>
>>9362168
agreed!
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.