[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to have a career as a designer by just making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

Is it possible to have a career as a designer by just making sketches, without knowing how to sew or make patterns? Example of designers that have done this if any would be appreciated
>>
yes

anyone can be a "designer" though

a successful designer though?

extremely, extremely unlikely and pretty much impossible
>>
threads so needed

someone explain how you become a designer
whats the best stuff to look into
>>
>>9283337

1. go to school

or

2. have connections and get job in related company to learn how 2 make clothes

those are your only 2 options really in today's time

again anyone can "be" a "designer" so if you want advice you're going to have to be a bit more specific than that, and my answer to your possible future questions can be found thru google
>>
>>9283330
Well I'd say there are different levels of success as a designer, you won't necessarily be Rick but then you have Recht which is successful in my eyes though not at that level.

I'm not necessarily interested in being a huge designer, but I'd be content with a small label, hell even a streetwear kinda brand like Aime Leon Dore.

Something I've really though about is something that lives somewhere between fast fashion and high fashion. Say affordable clothing that doesn't rip off other designers but rather has it's own concept and aesthetic
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 500x571px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 500x571px
Yeah I could see this working if life was a cartoon
>>
I suggest you go to school for it. Honestly, the kids that do fashion design at my school work like fucking dogs, no doubt. But honestly, if you're inspired to the point where you're already drawing up pieces you may as well at least try to go the whole way. Passion and enthusiasm mixed with originality can take you far.
>>
>>9283357
me too
>>
lol please take fashion design a little seriously

you think you can just draw some folds on your chemistry notes and expect seamstresses to read your mind and create the perfect piece? maybe it'll work in a huge company like inditex but there are so many other factors in making clothes
>>
I don't see why going to school is such a huge requirement, Armani, Ralph, Rick, among others never went to school (at least not for fashion) and they made it big
>>
>>9283427
Well it isn't necessary, but it's an available tool if you're willing to deal with the negatives associated.
>>
>>9283427
because they are an exception, not the norm. that's like thinking you can become the next zuckerberg, because he didn't finish college either.
>>
>>9283355

l

o

l
>>
File: multiply_by_asap_rocky.jpg (79KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
multiply_by_asap_rocky.jpg
79KB, 499x499px
>>9283459
What's so funny m8?
>>
>>9283427
>>9283449

this

every year there are hundreds of top level graduates around the world and unless you're some kind of 0.00000001% genius and the next destined balenciaga or yves then you have no chance
>>
boris bidjan saberi did it so idk why you couldn't
>>
>>9283313
>career as a designer by just making sketches, without knowing how to sew or make patterns

You sound like everyone at my school. None of them want to learn what goes into making clothes, they just want to "design" and be famous.
>>
>>9283474
But what If I'm not shooting for those heights? Like I said before, I'm mostly interested in something smaller. But what I wanted to know if any top designer doesn't know how to sew, I'm sure there must be some.

Its like fucking Steve Jobs, lots of people think he was a genius designer, but the only thing the guy had was conceptual vision. I consider myself a lot like this, in that I have things on my mind I want to create, but I have no talent for actually making them a reality
>>
i want to try making clothes and having them well spoken of and well known but i dont think i would want to do it as a career
apart from making my own shit and wearing it is there any other way?
>>
>>9283427
wrong, rick went to school for pattern making and was working as one before he got his own label through michelle lamy and investors
>>
>>9283495

sounds the best way to do it. Not to expensive, fun, an interesting-seeming hobby to have. Hell make stuff for friends if you get half confident with it
>>
>>9283501
He took a course, he didn't do a degree which is what I mean by going to school
>>
say i own a brand and want to start making jackets (a hooded windbreaker)
how would i start?
designing the pattern?
what kind of company would i look to create these for me?
what would i need to supply them with?
what kind of quantities should i expect for the minimum?
>>
>>9283471

Sorry to break it to you, but the "gap" between fast fashion and high fashion is a market that's pretty hard to do well in because consumers would rather pay a bit more to get a consistent / reliable product which is exactly what they want than settle for something "like" it but not as good

If you're serious about it then go dig through / follow BoF for a year or so, it gives you a good foundational grasp on the market, the industry, and what's going on in general

And you probably should go to school.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.