[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fa/ I was thinking of putting together a monochrome (ish) preppy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 20

File: oconnells-scottish-shetl-17684z.jpg (267KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
oconnells-scottish-shetl-17684z.jpg
267KB, 1000x1000px
/fa/ I was thinking of putting together a monochrome (ish) preppy wardrobe. It would be reasonable conservative, no 'Go to hell' type garments etc. I already dress similarly and own a lot of clothing on the greyscale, so I thought I could complete it into a sort of style.

I know prep is usually defined by colour, but I think it could be a nice conservative twist - it wouldn't be entirely black/white/grey - possibly some navy and browns thrown in rarely, but that would mostly be the theme.

I'm thinking white oxford's layered under thick black/charcoal Aran, cable, norwegian or shetland wool sweaters. Grey chinos or charcoal wool trousers with the occasional black jeans. Black sperry's, clean, white athletic sneakers, black dress shoes.

Could I pull this off? any suggestions?
>>
>>
File: 197361_mrp_in_l.jpg (16KB, 455x475px) Image search: [Google]
197361_mrp_in_l.jpg
16KB, 455x475px
>>
avoid sperries regardless of colour
>>
>>
Prep without any "go to hell" is literally just standard American menswear.
>>
File: aran-sweater-1.jpg (28KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
aran-sweater-1.jpg
28KB, 540x360px
>>9282007

really? just Sperry's or boat shoes in general? I've always been very fond of boat shoes in summer for just casual fucking around... loafers are a bit formal for casual wear at my age.
>>
File: joseph-gordon-levitt-1362425233.jpg (157KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
joseph-gordon-levitt-1362425233.jpg
157KB, 1200x800px
>>9281997
I think you just described the wardrobe of that dude from 500 days of summer
>>
Literally no way of knowing if you could pull this off without seeing what you look like or knowing what your personality is like.

You could pull it off if you have a good physique, and wear it with confidence.
Ultimately if you want to dress like that, then do it. Don't decide depending on what this forum thinks.
>>
This is literally what half the board wears.
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>9282021

It's been a while since I've seen it... his isn't real my style, I don't like cardigans or waistcoats. I like thick wool sweaters as my mid-layer
Wouldn't mind qt zoey deschanel though.
>>
>>9282032
more into the colour palette he uses, like for his office wear. I watched the film again the other day and I was really attracted to the colours and tones he was dressed in
>>
>>9282020
Wear what you want. /fa/ doesn't like them but they aren't bad and do look good by real world standards.
>>
>>9282023

I know what you mean - I guess I really liked the simple, monochrome style I see from some of the posters on this board but I wanted to combine that colour scheme (or lack of) with some of my own natural garments.

I shy away from synthetic materials really and always have done. I like wool, flannel, thick oxford cotton shirts etc, stuff that feels nice and classic. I can't imagine treasuring a synthetic bomber jacket or pair of tapered sweatpants for years to come.
>>
>>9282042

I'll certainly check it out, I get what you're saying, thanks for the pointer.
>>
File: il_340x270.671752022_pr4s.jpg (28KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.671752022_pr4s.jpg
28KB, 340x270px
>>
File: dsdsfsd.jpg (108KB, 600x795px) Image search: [Google]
dsdsfsd.jpg
108KB, 600x795px
>>
File: 9269351.jpg (107KB, 403x631px) Image search: [Google]
9269351.jpg
107KB, 403x631px
I'm very interested OP. I was thinking about this earlier this week. I hope we can delve into discovering fits and what not
>>
File: The-Black-Spot.jpg (563KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
The-Black-Spot.jpg
563KB, 2400x2400px
>>
>>9282109

Of course man, would love to discuss. I'd say I'm not too far off this wardrobe already, but it's not quite there - and I just like to categorise things, just autism I guess.
>>
>>9282109

These look great in black and are a good addition. I'm from England and they're really a staple here, Barbour stuff does really hold up.

You've got the quilted jackets which are perfect for light spring/autumn outerwear, then the waxed ones which are a bit more farmer/countryish. I live right near to the factory store where I study at university so can sometimes pick them up for cheap.
>>
File: new_men167_5.jpg (128KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
new_men167_5.jpg
128KB, 1000x1200px
>>9282109

Oops, forgot to post the pic, sorry. Here you go.
>>
Saw this post on reddit (I know)

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/2gkw8f/thoughts_on_my_monochrome_preppy_prospective/

The guy has some good ideas but think he's trying to throw in too much edgy/techy stuff. I'd try to avoid throwing in streetwear at all unless it's really plain and basic - eg. sweatshirts, clean white trainers, possibly some black flyknits or something exclusively for exercise.
>>
File: dank memes.png (591KB, 905x917px) Image search: [Google]
dank memes.png
591KB, 905x917px
le make thread instead of lurking le shitting up le board. Pls le delete thread and le browse for a week and all le questions will le answered.

I think I'm speaking the language of your people.
>>
>>9282125
I know those categorizing feels. I kind of like the idea of tweed jackets and other professor type clothings.
>>
>>9282169

I think there are a lot more pointless threads already on the board at the moment.

We're just trying to discuss a specific colour palette for a specific style and critiquing/swapping some ideas, there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
this thread makes me want to die
>>
File: open-uri20141020-9617-10r10c9.jpg (106KB, 933x525px) Image search: [Google]
open-uri20141020-9617-10r10c9.jpg
106KB, 933x525px
>>9282188

I like the idea of them but I'm honestly too young to pull them off - I rarely wear blazers/sports coats but I would consider adding them to the wardrobe once I've built it up a bit more, as they'd only be an occasional thing. The blazer seems like a bit of a prep staple, esp. the navy with gold buttons. I don't think we can fuck with that colour scheme and make it monochrome, it's too classic, would have to be left at it is. Greyish tweed on the other hand could certainly work.

If you like professor core and need glasses by any chance, I have these which I use quite often, they're really cool.
>>
>>9282197

sorry it's not rick/palewave
>>
File: inspiration1.jpg (388KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
inspiration1.jpg
388KB, 1280x848px
>>9282189
le everything said here has been said le million times leready. It is blehtantly le obvious you le come from reddit and le want to shit up le board and le adopt a trip in le 2 days and le call your leself a le minimalist and le make a le feels thread when you le wasted le daddies le money.

you will look like le gay fuccbois not minimalists
>>
File: PZGK5T3.jpg (728KB, 1935x2591px) Image search: [Google]
PZGK5T3.jpg
728KB, 1935x2591px
>>
>>9282220

This hasn't been said specifically a million times already - hence why I am making the thread.

I don't 'come from reddit', I've been browsing this board on and off for quite some time, I've also visited MFA occasionally - no I don't dress like them or want to, I'm english and dressing americana would look stupid.

I don't want a trip

I never said anything about minimalism, I said monochrome.

This is clearly not a feels thread, you are the only butthurt person here.
>>
>>9282220
>tfw French and seeing your language associated daily with those shitty memes
>>
File: mccoys-gsweat-1.jpg (256KB, 620x550px) Image search: [Google]
mccoys-gsweat-1.jpg
256KB, 620x550px
>>
>>9282239
le memechrone is le cool
>>
>>9282266

yes it is
>>
>>9282239
Honestly, idk if they are just having a hard time seeing it or what, but I think the idea is pretty interesting the way I'm imagining it. I do wear a lot of greyscale clothing too though.
>>
>>9282250
this one isnt the best Real McCoy's sweat you can get
>>
>>9282307

I know there are others - I don't think I'm going to cop one just yet...bit expensive, maybe a few months down the line when I've got some other essential shit bought. Got a decent sweat as placeholder in the meantime
>>
The way I'm seeing it is the generic monochrome minimalism we always see at fa but with less minimalism and more of what OP said: textures and natural fabrics. I was looking at some ivy league prep inspo and imagining it monochrome and I was really digging it.
>>
>>9282283

just trolling, am going to ignore.

Can you suggest any fits you'd put together?

Might be repeating myself from my original post, but I was thinking stuff like white oxfords layered under chunky knits, black brogues with grey flannel trousers, couple thick t shirts and sweats for lounging round the house in, boat shoes for summer casual fits. Black quilted jacket for light outerwear, hooded fur lined down parka for colder weather.
>>
File: 1310_the_graduate_08a.jpg (30KB, 654x431px) Image search: [Google]
1310_the_graduate_08a.jpg
30KB, 654x431px
>>9282206
>tfw you can't sport a grey herringbone tweed without being overdressed
pic related could be my uniform for the rest of my life
>>
>>9282318
I have the midweight Real McCoy's one, not the double diamond one that you posted and the quality on it is unreal. It's probably my favorite piece of clothing and imo well worth the money
>>
>>9282326

Yeah man - you've hit the nail on the head, exactly what I was trying to describe.

In england where I'm from what would be considered 'prep' isn't quite as colourful. You see red trousers and lots of blue/pink oxfords in summer, but stuff like bright pastel colours aren't quite as big, in autumn/spring/winter there'll be a lot of olive,navy, brown - farmer inspired stuff. I just want to grey down the colour scheme a bit more, to almost monochrome (perhaps a very occasional light blue etc. thrown in for variety)
>>
>>9282356

They are cool, the only time I've really found much of a use for a blazer is going to the horse races which is not that often.
>>
>>9282363

I do intend to cop one eventually, as soon as I have the items of clothing I want to have a good basic versatile wardrobe I'll go upgrading the older items to more expensive, quality ones. sweatshirt will be one of the first.
>>
This is the most retarded post I have ever seen

Just please stay on mfa
>>
support your arguments>>9282389
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.