[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /fa/ think about cultural appropriation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 37

File: stop cultural appropriation.jpg (291KB, 1154x906px) Image search: [Google]
stop cultural appropriation.jpg
291KB, 1154x906px
What does /fa/ think about cultural appropriation?
>>
>>9024475
Stupid as fuck.
If you actually spend even 10 seconds of your free-time worrying about this you most likely have schizophrenia.
>>
Great thread OP, I'm sure this will lead to a reasoned discussion about fashion and culture, and not at all to a terrifying shitfest
>>>/b/
>>>/pol/
>>
>>9024478

Chimp in suit detected.
>>
File: successful black man.jpg (68KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
successful black man.jpg
68KB, 490x490px
>>9024479
>>
>>9024479
>/fa/
>knowing anything about fashion or culture

Newfag detected. The only thing /fa/ knows how to do are: dress like a hipster, "get a hitler youth".
>>
>>9024475
Is this guy fucking retarded?
Denim is from Nîmes, France
The contraction comes from old labels saying de Nîmes (from Nimes)
Ever seen some Degenoa? No?
>>
The most retarded shit ever
Cultures should be spread and enjoyed, not held in cages
They are also not something static and they do not exist in vacuums, at the time wearing something related to some culture might be offensive and that should be respected, but it might not be such with time.
>>
>>9024512
No. I've seen some Jeans tho
>>
>>9024475
Don't use paper, gunpowder, compasses, fireworks, typographies, paper currency, kites, matches, playing cards, even toilet paper. These are inventions of the cunning Chinese. Keep the European culture authentic.
>>
>>9024512
>Denim is from Nîmes, France

That's what the image says, you idiot. Learn2reading comprehension.
>>
File: 1394606600315.gif (82KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1394606600315.gif
82KB, 300x200px
Diversity is gud :---DDDDD
but only in the form of millions of foreigners flooding into ur country ROFLMAO:)))
Simply adopting a few cultural items, clothing, food or ideas is cultural appropriation
this is bad :--DDDDD ebin
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (76KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
76KB, 467x700px
>>9024516
>Cultures should be spread and enjoyed, not held in cages

Then why do other cultures whine about cultural appropriation? Pic related, he's wearing European clothing yet complaining about whites dressed as Amerindians.

So butthurt.
>>
>>9024540
as Europeans we have to be the bigger men

Everyone wants/needs to wear a suit, people only want to wear headdresses as a joke
>>
>>9024540
Also he's a nigger
>>
>>9024540
Naturally when the culture in question has history of exploiting and violence they are more sensitive about their culture.
It takes time to move on from the past, it takes longer for some.
>>
File: african tribe.jpg (116KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
african tribe.jpg
116KB, 350x233px
>>9024546
>as Europeans we have to be the bigger men

Bigger men, how? No, we are people too and we need to call out the contradictions that they spew. Let everyone wear what they want but if they want to whine about appropriation they need to go back to the days of their ethnic garb.
>>
We've had these discussions before.
https://warosu.org/fa/thread/S7779533
>>
File: 1414724321474.jpg (70KB, 959x960px) Image search: [Google]
1414724321474.jpg
70KB, 959x960px
>>9024565
Who cares? How often do you feel compelled to wear feathers in your head or put a bone through your nose or something? If they complain about it, whatever, I don't dress in their traditional clothes anyway so idc.

You're making too big a deal out of this, just relax.
>>
>>9024565
no, just let them be, what the fuck does it matter to you?
>>
File: svart-lucia-e1355410065370.jpg (31KB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
svart-lucia-e1355410065370.jpg
31KB, 460x259px
>>9024580
>no, just let them be, what the fuck does it matter to you?

Because in Sweden they are dressing like pic related.

Lucia 2012 was celebrated by a nig nog singing a rap song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=317JDjQnoT4

Culture matters to me, I'm sorry it doesn't matter to you.
>>>/out/

Let's pretend culture doesn't matter though. If culture does not matter, why can't whites dress up in Indian garb without getting called a "cultural appropriator"?

It is only others who are allowed to dress like us, and I want to be able to wear some native american jewelry (for example) if I want to.
>>
>>9024565
>No, we are people too and we need to call out the contradictions that they spew
Why
Like I get that you try to be all logical and smart but these are cultures, they aren't built on reason and math exactly.
I don't mind not wearing traditional clothing of some culture, however if someone wants to wear something that's from western culture, I don't care.
I mean on a smaller scale this kinda shit happens every day on /fa/ you just don't realize it
>don't wear skate shoes unless you skate
>don't wear x unless y
Small sub cultures want to "keep it real", with time no one gives a fuck though as people forgive past misdeeds, cultures change and they mix.
>>
File: 1411860497360.jpg (33KB, 442x376px) Image search: [Google]
1411860497360.jpg
33KB, 442x376px
>>9024596
Culture matters, but I don't offended when brown people wear European traditional clothes, maybe its because Im American but still. i don't see why brown people get offended when whites wear their clothes either.

I don't think that you should feel offended just because they feel offended, it doesn't make sense.

Go make a twitter hashtag about it while you're at it.
>>
>>9024475

I can see why it bothers some people when the costumes are cheap and inaccurate and misrepresent their culture, like when a halloween costume mixes elements from a bunch of different native tribes and just calls it "native warrior" or something. I don't see any problem with an accurate costuem though.
>>
stop cultural appropriation stop wearing clohtes xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddd faggets
>>
>>9024540
There's a difference between wearing a costume as a sign of respect and interest for a culture and wearing it as a joke like most fools who wear feather headresses.
>>
>>9024576
>Who cares? How often do you feel compelled to wear feathers in your head or put a bone through your nose or something?

I think that's pretty insensitive and racist to say. Please stop projecting your fashion tastes onto mine, or declaring theirs inferior (hurr durr they just wear bones through their noses).

What if I WANT to do something like that? In fact, isn't it white people who get all these African inspired piercings all the time? Probably more extreme than Africans!

You also have to admit Indians, Africans, Asians they have have pretty cool necklaces and so on. Bangles for example.

It is a clear double standard to say "We can wear your European clothing but you can't wear ours".
>>
>>9024596
>Because in Sweden they are dressing like pic related.
But that's just Swedish culture saying "it's okay to us for someone from different culture to wear our traditional clothing"
Other cultures aren't necessarily like that, that's the idea here. Indians (the country not injuns) and actually lot of African tribes actually don't mind people dressing in their clothing, Indians feel like it's a compliment, someone likes their clothing enough to wear them, to the tribes when they dress you up in their traditional clothing it's a sign of acceptance, you are a cool guy by them and you can rock that shit now.
Why offend just to do it?
>>
>>9024540
mainstream America gets pissed as fuck if people wear their home culture's clothes, and only gives respect to people who can wear the european symbols of status and power.

Amerindians, Indians, and others have been forcibly educated in the western tradition, and denied their history and culture. To then decide that you can just go ahead and take the great signifiers of that history and use them as some prop to your outfit is obnoxious.

That said, a lot of people have a misunderstanding of what the term means. There are plenty of aspects of different cultures' aesthetics and history that freely mix with everything else, or that doesn't have spiritual/religious/historical context attached to it any more.

Also, you'll basically never catch shit for it unless you're doing the most basic, stereotypical caricatures of a culture, which doesn't loof /fa/ anyways.
>>
File: ayylamo.jpg (76KB, 499x699px) Image search: [Google]
ayylamo.jpg
76KB, 499x699px
lmao
>>
>>9024617
>or declaring theirs inferior
Not doing this. I was trying to say most times when people are complaining about cultural appropriation its about wearing something extreme like that..
>>
>>9024576
Genghis confirmed for best trip
>>
>>9024596

Don't forget to celebrate a genuine Swedish midsummer, Anon.
>>
>>9024624
>America and only gives respect to people who can wear the european symbols of status and power.

Well this makes sense, it is a country founded by Europeans after all.. its an extension of Europe so why wouldn't this be the case?
>>
>>9024610
>Culture matters, but I don't offended when brown people wear European traditional clothes

I don't get offended either, I just get offended when this happens:

>>9024540
>>
>>9024631
<3

>>9024637
So stop getting mad over the same things they're getting mad about like you did here>>9024596
>>
>>9024617
Europeans appropriated everything else they had though. Personally I believe that adherence to cultural and national identity is a barrier to human progress. We should embrace a global society once and for all.
>>
File: 1410629041510.png (89KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
1410629041510.png
89KB, 406x406px
>>9024643
>We should embrace a global society once and for all.
How about no.
>>
File: mag.png (898KB, 977x546px) Image search: [Google]
mag.png
898KB, 977x546px
>>9024613
>There's a difference between wearing a costume as a sign of respect and interest for a culture and wearing it as a joke like most fools who wear feather headresses.

Indeed, but this is about fashion. I hope you're not implying that native american clothing is only a costume?

Even pic related has been called out as "cultural appropriation" because there is a white person wearing it.

>omg you painted your face!
>>
>>9024635
>>9024617
I'm saying that that's the reason that wearing European clothing is acceptable; because it's p much a necessity if you don't want to get called a terrorist/savage/FoB/whatever else.

Europeans are afforded respect most places that they go, and so, they haven't had the same pressure to assimilate into the habits of clothing, etc.

For them, it's more of a free choice, but for everyone else, it's not like you can go into a job interview wearing some super ethnic getup. If you want to make money and be a part of society, you wear a suit.
>>
>>9024643
>I believe that adherence to cultural and national identity is a barrier to human progress

Translation:
>but not for our country! (Israel)
>>
File: NavajoMotoApril77C.jpg (97KB, 800x673px) Image search: [Google]
NavajoMotoApril77C.jpg
97KB, 800x673px
I really don't get the big deal of incorporating another culture's designs into my wardrobe, I'm not hurting or disrespecting anyone
>>
>>9024646
>Not wanting a united human species

Backwards thinking at it's finest
>>
>>9024648
I think part of that is that it contributes to a misunderstanding of what a culture is, and is seen as being some dumb fashion designer without any historical entrenchment making some shit up that looks "exotic" or whatever.

How would you feel if some dumbass made up some ridiculous getup that's a misunderstanding of the way that you dress, making a fuckload of money off of it and reshaping the way that people view you without any input from ya?
>>
>>9024655
I'm far from jewish
>>
File: aztec40.gif (187KB, 365x525px) Image search: [Google]
aztec40.gif
187KB, 365x525px
>>9024563
>Naturally when the culture in question has history of exploiting and violence

I wonder why Native Americans owned weapons? That's right, because they were warring with and exploiting each other long before Europeans came. They fought each other for land and territory.

Violence is as long as human history and is not exclusive to anyone.
>>
>>9024664
I think that's different, when some clothing is inspired by another culture, it's a form of compliment whereas just straight up wearing the legit cultural clothing might be offensive to some.
I mean naturally there are even those who get offended even those inspired clothes, but then there are also those who don't get offended by the least if someone wears the real deal, yeah get that, there are conservative and less conservative people in all cultures.
>>
File: 909003xl.jpg (42KB, 365x596px) Image search: [Google]
909003xl.jpg
42KB, 365x596px
>>9024667
you mean like this?

whens the last time a swede complained about cultural appropriation because vikings didnt actually wear horn helmets?
>>
>>9024666
>not wanting a united human species
>666

Not only do the Satan trips discredit your post, you sound like you just completed mass effect and think you know shit.
>>
File: 1385986304456.jpg (83KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
1385986304456.jpg
83KB, 501x585px
>>9024666
thats a well fitting post number if I've ever seen one
>>
>>9024680
>when's the last time a swede complained about cultural appropriation because vikings don't actually wear horn helmets
All the fucking time oh my god. I have three swedish friends and they literally cannot shut the fuck up about people using pagan culture as a costume
>>
>>9024677
>I wonder why Native Americans owned weapons? That's right, because they were warring with and exploiting each other long before Europeans came. They fought each other for land and territory.
Clearly not what I meant. I think a tribe of Indians would find it very offensive if someone from the tribe they are in war with would wear their traditional clothing.
When it feels like certain culture has exploited your own, someone who in your eyes is a part of that exploiting culture wears something that's huge part of your cultural identity it feels like he's openly mocking you to your face.
It's been a long ass time and I honestly think the faster the cultures can move on from past mistakes the better, but I can't really just go tell people what to get offended or not offended about.
With time it will happen though and everything's gonna be alright, no need to get offended because people get offended
>>
>>9024625
kek
>>
File: africa.jpg (337KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
africa.jpg
337KB, 960x1280px
>>9024621
>But that's just Swedish culture saying "it's okay to us for someone from different culture to wear our traditional clothing"

Exactly.

>Other cultures aren't necessarily like that

Exactly. But unless being a hypocrite is also part of their culture, the ONLY way I see that they can complain is by wearing their traditional garb. Pic related, THESE people I will listen to, assuming they also live in Africa.
>>
>>9024475

4/10, some factual errors.i know its a memejoke but it helps to at least be correct to produce the impression of seriousness.
>>
>>9024666
The formation of unique cultures and subcultures (and consequently the "micro-societies" that come from them) is an inevitability of any society, no matter the scale.
It's happened on much smaller scales throughout human history, and now that the total population is at an all time high it certainly won't stop.
We don't want to be united as billions (or even millions), and we never will. Rome is a prime example of this, and even colonial America-Britain.
>>
>>9024683
>2014
>Believing in Satan

Look at every great military leader in the history of mankind, their goal has always been to unite the world under one nation. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

Also in Mass Effect Earth isn't united
>>
>>9024700
>Look at every great military leader in the history of mankind, their goal has always been to unite the world under one nation

And they've always failed, America is failing like the Roman Empire failed before. it You can't have self determination if there too many different identities in your country, if you know what Im saying.
>>
>>9024700
>Look at every great military leader in the history of mankind, their goal has always been to unite the world under one nation.
not Adolph
>>
>>9024700
>Look at every great military leader in the history of mankind, their goal has always been to unite the world under one nation

And look what happened to them. They're always either destroyed from the inside by the faulty mechanics and logistics that held them together (as was the case with the Roman empire and their attempts to blend cultures), or they're destroyed by nations with unique cultures that refuse to be united (see every other conquest ever).
Uniting means agreeing with every established government and belief system and that will NEVER happen.
Learn to history, Bonaparte.
>>
>>9024651

Well these are the nations Europeans built, after all. Everyone else is a guest.

Maybe in the old days you'd have trouble getting a job without acting European. These days though, with such a relaxed dress code, you'd probably get a job by dressing in African interview garb to fulfill some diversity quota (as we no longer have discrimination, but reverse discrimination).

>Why aren't you wearing a suit?
>This is my traditional African formal wear. Are you racist?
>OOOOOH WE'RE SORRY *gives job*
>>
>>9024695
again, if you want to get hired in the US or Europe, or like, most of the developed world, you are gonna wear a suit and tie.

This is because Europe established it as the dominant symbol of prestige/power/wealth/etc.

No one is demanding that you wear the outfit of the guy in your pic in order to survive and feed yourself.

But again, there's a difference between clothing that is seen as everyday wear and stuff that's more symbolic.

That being said, there are people of every culture on both sides of the debate. If you use another culture's motifs, at least try not to fall into the played out stereotypes that have been historically associated with them.

idk it's not like any of these cultures are set or dead or anything, and there's definitely exchange happening all the time. It just has to take place in good faith, and you have to be conscious of the other side when you want to make that exchange.
>>
>>9024695
>. But unless being a hypocrite is also part of their culture
You are trying to apply a logic that makes no sense here.
It's fucking cultures man, cows are sacred for Indiands but they don't go around crying to my face because I eat burger, because they understand that's okay in my culture, you need to have certain amount of understanding and acceptance towards other cultures.
>>
>>9024715
>Bonaparte
That was supposed to be Hitler, who tried to invade Russia and made the same mistakes as Bonaparte, resulting in defeat. The joke being that he would have learned about the mistakes of the French conquest had he finished highschool. -5
>>
>>9024699
But we are uniting, or don't you see internet culture as a unification of all other global cultures. With time this culture begins to seep into the real world (fashion is an example, look at the trend of tshirts with traditional japanese designs).

I'm not against the formation of cultures, they are necessary and inevitable as you have said but what I actually meant to say is that xenophobia and nationalism are a barrier to human progress.
>>
>>9024715
>Bonaparte

KEK
>>
>>9024728
>again, if you want to get hired in the US or Europe, or like, most of the developed world, you are gonna wear a suit and tie.

I doubt it. If a black person wore the most formal African wedding garb or something they could just claim HR is racist for not appreciating clothing.

Remember, that was then. This is now.

And don't say for one second that this wouldn't work. At the very least the interviewee would stand out. They'd also be afraid of a lawsuit.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n7qon0imwz1s9m7r3.jpg (181KB, 341x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n7qon0imwz1s9m7r3.jpg
181KB, 341x750px
>>9024744
>xenophobia and nationalism are a barrier to human progress.
Why? Why can't every group of people just have self determination for themselves (aka nationalism)? Why does that upset you?
>>
>>9024746
not in any serious business environment. certainly not on wall sreet
>>
does it make me a racist if most of my town is brown people and i wish there was more white folk?
>>
File: appropriation.jpg (155KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
appropriation.jpg
155KB, 500x775px
>>
>>9024764
No, its just tribalism and its completely natural. Most people prefer to be surrounded with others like themselves.
>>
>>9024475
I think that writing systems developed sometime well after the beginning of human history and that the Hellenistic Greeks developed the first true alphabet.
>>
>>9024752
It does not upset me, but I do believe it's not optimal at all. Not when it includes excluding elements of other cultures that could be beneficial in a society. China comes to mind, if they had maintained their "national integrity" they wouldn't have adopted capitalism which has given them unprecedented progress and a higher standards of living (even if it's still bad in rural areas).
>>
>>9024786
Communicating with different cultures and borrowing things from them has always been a thing, but its not the same as globalism, and it doesn't contradict nationalism.
>>
>>9024764

It is equally as racist as saying that you wish it was more diverse (less whites).

Choose your racism.

In a monoculture there can't be any racial tension since there are no races to be tense about or oppress. Diversity is full of racial tension and oppression.
>>
File: img_534b0dcf05770.png (605KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
img_534b0dcf05770.png
605KB, 640x480px
yeah nah guys its totally cool turning entire cultures in to a gimmick of a costume dont worry about it
>>
File: pirate costume.jpg (122KB, 1300x957px) Image search: [Google]
pirate costume.jpg
122KB, 1300x957px
>>9024802
>hurr durr only whites do it

Halloween is the time where everyone appropriates everybody.
>>
>>9024793
It does not. But it would be more optimal to be united, we could stop violent conflicts over resources and reduce them to a matter of what company got there first, for example.
>>
>>9024808
except thats not a photo from halloween

and anyone that appropriates cultures over halloween is a dumb fuck regardless of skin colour (unless of course its their own culture but then its not rly appropriation anyway)
>>
File: white-man-laughing.gif (484KB, 475x366px) Image search: [Google]
white-man-laughing.gif
484KB, 475x366px
>>9024475
I think you can't stop the White Man.
>>
>>9024475

I don't understand why it's harmful
>>
>>9024816
There would still be conflicts over resources, they would just be intranational wars rather than international. There would be more conflict if there was a bunch of cultures as different from each other as possible trying to live together in harmony than if everyone kept to themselves.
>>
>>9024826
ok imagine this

people come to your land and commit total genocide of your people as they rape your women, steal ur kids, take ur land, take ur food, and kill a whole bunch of you

fast forward a few hundred years and now they wanna take shit that is super important to ur culture and wear it as a costume/for casual use/total removal from the original intent

see the problem now?
>>
>>9024802
This is the problem. Not necessarily appropriation, but an appropriation that erases all the history of the thing being appropriated.
>>
>>9024834
there is a difference between appropriation and appreciation tho
>>
>>9024833
at what point do you draw the line though? what is ok and what isn't ok? who's setting these rules?

>>9024664

would this pattern be offensive to you?
>>
>>9024547
>underrated post
>>
File: barbary_coast_pirates.jpg (658KB, 791x1024px) Image search: [Google]
barbary_coast_pirates.jpg
658KB, 791x1024px
>>9024808
are you seriously trying to imply that there were no black pirates right now
>>
>>9024833
Moors stayed in Spain for 700 years. Do you hear Spaniards complaining? I don't.
>>
File: asian european halloween.jpg (113KB, 465x465px) Image search: [Google]
asian european halloween.jpg
113KB, 465x465px
>>9024802
>yeah nah guys its totally cool turning entire cultures in to a gimmick of a costume dont worry about it
>>
>>9024844
I'm willing to bet negro pirates didn't wear stereotypical white pirate attires.
>>
>>9024833
i still don't see the problem
>>
>>9024802
>>9024680
>>
File: we gypsy now.jpg (10KB, 125x300px) Image search: [Google]
we gypsy now.jpg
10KB, 125x300px
>>9024834
>>9024802
>>
>>9024845
Exactly. I don't see why people hold grudges over things that someone's ancestors did. It's like that bullshit german guilt, which I never understood. You are not responsible for what your great great grandfathers did. Appropiation it's not harmful unless it's ridiculing the culture it represents. Now w2c japanese navajo shoes?
>>
File: alex_pallison2.jpg (22KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
alex_pallison2.jpg
22KB, 300x225px
>>9024840
you decide what the line is, and if someone tells you whatever ur doing is offensive listen to them and then think about it and u decide if u still wanna wear whatever it is they are on about

e.g. enjoying food from a different culture would be ok, (unless the food was used for a specific purpose and has significance beyond just food)

how ever (pic related) is something that i would to be offensive because "Tattoo arts are common in the Eastern Polynesian homeland of Māori, and the traditional implements and methods employed were similar to those used in other parts of Polynesia (see Buck 1974:296, cited in References below). In pre-European Māori culture, many if not most high-ranking persons received moko, and those who went without them were seen as persons of lower social status. Receiving moko constituted an important milestone between childhood and adulthood, and was accompanied by many rites and rituals. Apart from signalling status and rank, another reason for the practice in traditional times was to make a person more attractive to the opposite sex. Men generally received moko on their faces, buttocks (raperape) and thighs (puhoro). Women usually wore moko on their lips (kauwae) and chins. Other parts of the body known to have moko include women's foreheads, buttocks, thighs, necks and backs and men's backs, stomachs, and calves."

hope this helps!!
>>
>>9024512
Nîmes is in France.
The made pants with canvas from Genoa.
Genoa in French is called Gênes.
Guess how it's pronounced?
Read a book
>>
File: Toussaint-Louverture.jpg (152KB, 784x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Toussaint-Louverture.jpg
152KB, 784x1020px
>>9024850
you've literally got no idea what you're even talking about.
>>
>>9024475
ties are Croatian actually
>>
File: 102571_1229198859218_410_410.jpg (53KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
102571_1229198859218_410_410.jpg
53KB, 410x410px
>>9024863
>(unless the food was used for a specific purpose and has significance beyond just food)

jfc, i have to check my food privilege now?
>>
>>9024834
> an appropriation that erases all the history of the thing being appropriated.

thats literally what appropriation means
>>
>>9024866
Post Dumas now. 2 niggers in Europe's social elite should totally prove your point.
>>
>>9024856
>minorities appropriating other minorities

Oy vey!
>>
File: renaissance.jpg (147KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
renaissance.jpg
147KB, 500x667px
>>9024802
>yeah nah guys its totally cool turning entire cultures in to a gimmick of a costume dont worry about it
>>
>>9024899
>That's right girl, get on your knees, I'm bout to knight the back of your throat right here right now.
>>
>>9024765
literally no one in social justice has ever demanded that someone dress as an ethnicity that is not their own.

maybe they want more diverse places, but everyone should be themselves
>>
this thread is the stupidest shit ever.

if cultural appropriation existed we would be quite literally living in dark ages because the majority of inventions were built upon by various countries.

Euros would stay in Europe since compass is Chinese, India would be warring between itself still, and there would be far far less technological innovation.

as a race we need to cooperate with each others to strive into the future. I'm not talking about shitty cultural impositions in other countries like Muslims do in Europe, but in technology.
>>
>>9024919
>>9024478
These people aren't mentally healthy, they have too much time on their hands and they aren't putting it to good use.
>>
>>9024833

Translation: We raped and killed each other over land for ages but I'm still buttmad about being obliterated by a superior white force. I can never hope to steal the land back at gunpoint, so I'll steal it back by abusing their empathy like a panhandler. "waa waa we never hurt anybody. stolen. unfair. give it back nao"
>>
>>9024866

That's French military uniform, dumbass. lmao

Also Toussaint was not a pirate.
>>
>>9024475
if people didn't appropriate clothing from different cultures everyone would look like shit
>>
>>9024867
>ties are Croatian actually

That's literally what the OP says.
>>
>>9024927
>if people didn't appropriate clothing from different cultures everyone would look like shit

Then SJWs need to recognize this and stop whining about cultural appropriation. I think the OP post is just pointing out a contradiction in their argument.
>>
You know that fat woman who bitches about everyone?

That's minorities.
They don't want to let Europeans feel proud about being the most accomplished culture (cultures, I know), and everything whites do is racist and offensive.
>>
just more SJW and liberal faggotry

ignore and move on
>>
File: bart.png (393KB, 683x340px) Image search: [Google]
bart.png
393KB, 683x340px
>>9024942
>You know that fat woman who bitches about everyone?

Fat shamer detected.
>>
>>9024937
you're misunderstanding. Everyone is all for an interested, equal, intelligent cooperation between cultures. What isn't cool is half-baked interpretations of what's important about someone's clothing.

The discussion isn't about let's intermingle/let's stay separate forever.

All that the dialogue around cultural appropriation asks is that you THINK and LEARN about what you're doing because otherwise you're gonna do something stupid and offensive. If you act in genuine good faith, you're solid.
>>
>>9024946
>ignore and move on

Quite frankly that's how it got to the stage it's in but ok.
>>
>>9024947
>implying fat people shouldn't be shamed

They are unnatural unless its a genetic condition, in that case they need to be sterilized
>>
>>9024947
>implying thats a bad thing
>implying fat shaming is the only hope for the world to lose the obesity epidemic
>implying you have to stay fat
>implying fat people won't die in a carb loaded slow death
>>
File: asian_in_costume.jpg (62KB, 380x253px) Image search: [Google]
asian_in_costume.jpg
62KB, 380x253px
>>9024954
>What isn't cool is half-baked interpretations of what's important about someone's clothing.

That only white people are guilty of. Right.
>>
>>9024978
nah, dude, Korean BBoys are among the worst
>>
>>9024540
The headrest has certain religious connotations, it's not something you just wear around and disrespect. Same with girls who are not Indian wearing Bindis on their forehead but not being married. It's not entirely hyper offensive but it is in poor taste. We laugh here at fedora tippers and their poorly constructed attempts at menswear because it is in poor taste. People who aren't European wearing suits, denim, or t shirts aren't appropriating a culture because these items weren't created for the express purpose of being part of the culture. They were made for functionality. Denim isn't used in some sort of coming of age ritual, suits were not created specifically for religious purposes. Come on man be real about this, both sides are bullshitting about the topic
>>
File: culture2.jpg (62KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
culture2.jpg
62KB, 300x449px
>>9024954

All these advertisements are SPECIFICALLY against white people dressing up, though. It's cherry picking really, and racist propaganda against whites. They ignore stuff like this.

>>9024978
>>9024899
>>9024856 (gypsy not white, but whatever lol)
>>9024847
>>
>>9024983
>Come on man be real about this, both sides are bullshitting about the topic

You're really bullshitting about the topic also.
>>
>>9024863
>buttocks (raperape)
damn that's funny
>>
>>9025003
it's a super simplistic way of looking at it, as most mainstream shit is
>>
> tfw half slav half indian

>tfw no culture

>tfw walking corpse

race mixers should be HANGED
>>
>>9024983

You do have a point about the headdress but then you start comparing apples to oranges.

Let's categorize religious wear with religious wear. If others can stop dressing up as the pope for Halloween for example.

>People who aren't European wearing suits, denim, or t shirts aren't appropriating a culture because these items weren't created for the express purpose of being part of the culture. They were made for functionality.
Suits are absolutely not made for functionality lmao. If they were so functional people would be wearing them 24/7.

On the other hand, the natives had the most functional clothing ever. They wore only what was necessary to keep them warm (like animal skins). They lived innawoods like preppers.

If they want to say their moccasins are sacred, they better not argue when we say our history of fine european shoe craftsmanship are sacred also.
>>
>>9024677
yeah, just like europeans and everybody else

except, thing is, we came in, killed the shit out of them, brought them down to about 15% of their original population, and stole their land. can we cut them a little slack?
>>
>>9025049

:(

I know that feel.
>>
>>9025067
>can we cut them a little slack?

No.
>>
>>9024978
>That only white people are guilty of. Right
I don't think anyone made that argument
>>
>>9025049
I don't know if I know that feel. I'm half-slav, half-mediterranean.
Looking at my family, I think I ended up with the best possible recessive genes, cause holy shit is everyone else in my family tree an ugly motherfucker.

I mean, I'm ugly, but at least I don't look like an inbred fucking peasant.
>>
>>9024646
>>9024643
>>9024655
>>9024666

tbh, nationalism and cultural pride to the point of "if you're not from this country/culture, you have to dress certain ways/can't dress certain ways" is fucking stupid
i'm from toronto yeah, and in the wake of that whole ottawa shooting thing a lot of people were preemptively blaming it on isis and saying lots of ill informed anti islamic bullshit
and the one comment that made me laugh the most was "if you want to be Canadian you have to dress like a Canadian" and i was just sort of going ...what the fuck does that even mean? Canadian cultural identity is that Canada is a mosaic of culture so technically anything can be considered Canadian dress.
nationalism to the point of blind hate and stupidity is well, stupid.
>>
>>9025063
it's also an issue of wearing the real thing vs a half-baked imitation that looks ridiculous to anyone who actually knows the culture.
>>
File: white-guilt.jpg (70KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
white-guilt.jpg
70KB, 500x336px
>>9024857

In America, it's people who never enslaved anyone feeling guilty about the plight of people who were never enslaved.

Whites feeling guilty about this is a bit tricky. Why should a German-American Amish feel guilty about slavery? Maybe people with Anglo ancestors who owned plantations should feel a bit ashamed but not every southern person owned a slave, either. In Arkansas, for example 80% of people did not own any. Ashamed is different from guilty though.

Pic related. Retarded.
>>
File: kai-lee2final.jpg (32KB, 225x338px) Image search: [Google]
kai-lee2final.jpg
32KB, 225x338px
>>9025090

No one ITT, maybe. But the SJWs are always sure to make this argument on halloween.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n1l4qedPKr1qhqsy5.jpg (98KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n1l4qedPKr1qhqsy5.jpg
98KB, 500x333px
>>9025124

>Ching chong nip yong
>--Beyoncé
>>
>>9025124

That geisha costume is actually pretty authentic looking. Not sure what the issue is in this particular case.

Anyway, people just need to relax. Especially in the case of offensive costumes on halloween.
>>
>>9025118
pls read some history if you think slavery and institutionalized racism did not create rifts that remain deeply ingrained in society today. This also applies to native American groups.

I'm not saying anyone ought to feel guilty about actions taken by others, but I do think they should try 'check their privilege' and recognize that people currently suffer the effects of what happened

>>9025124
i think we can all agree those "culture not a costume" posters are intended to make people think about this stuff rather than to lay out an entire argument, even if they go about it poorly
>>
>>9025164

Pathetic
>>
>itt: uneducated white trash
>>
>>9025170
persuade me to change my position
>>
>>9024833
I'm a Yugoslav and the Turks did everything you described. Only recently they left our lands.

I wouldn't mind if they wore our traditional outfits
>>
>>9025164
I really hope you are joking.

Usually I try to keep away from all this Social Justice bullshit but now I get why all those neckbeards get upset about people like you.
>>
>>9024475
Ties don't come from the military though.
>>
>>9025175
ITP: Sociology major
>>
>>9024983
Very well written post.
>>
>>9025063
>On the other hand, the natives had the most functional clothing ever. They wore only what was necessary to keep them warm (like animal skins). They lived innawoods like preppers.

If you actually believe this than you are retarded.

A lot of ethnic groups have a distinct clothing and symbols and ornaments to show status etc.
>>
>>9024833
>>9025215
Tfw Armenian Genocide is helping you pay for college
>>
>>9025067
Actually 95% of deaths were from sickness which nobody knew that they will strike the natives.
>>
>>9024475
Not all cultures are appropriate.
>>
>>9025243
what part of my post wasn't reasonable?
I also often roll my eyes at social justice stuff and i thought my post was pretty generally agreeable
>>
>>9024540
why do natives cry for attention when someone dons a headrest but no one cares when people wear rosaries
>>
>>9024752
Nice Pol memes. Why don't you go back there? You never contribute and all of your fits are shitty.
>>
>>9025021
Had to go to church real quick so sorry I took so long but how was I wrong?

>>9025063
and alright I see what you mean there about suits, a better way to put it would be that the suit was made with the intended purpose of just being worn. I do believe though people dressing up as religious figures for Halloween is in poor taste, and anyone should be able to wear moccasins but it stops when you get to headdresses and war bonnets. Besides who would wear that as casual every day wear?
>>
>>9024512
>aha! My knowledge I gained from Wikipedia will show these Internet strangers just how cool and smart I am! Maybe they'll all respect me and I can become a cool name fag like pigfuck or sieg! I better throw in an insult to his intelligence to show just how TRULY superior I am!

I never understood this mentality
>>
>>9024475
its just something that only matters on tumblr
>>
File: lerickfae.jpg (66KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
lerickfae.jpg
66KB, 750x500px
>>9024613
/thread

Unfortunately the dude posting in here is an absolutely fucking retarded edgemaster.

Here's some life advice from someone who used to have a similar outlook on life: Actually think and educate yourself before you say/do something. Stop trying to find any argument, no matter how tenuous, to support your contrarian, neo-liberal-bashing views.
>>
>>9024613
so is an indian halloween costume offensive?

about to head out for a party, maybe i should change costumes
>>
>>9024475
I think your post is what happens when some barely half-clever white boy decides to try to make an argument about culture based on an emptily literal understanding of a term, completely disconnected from any theory, history, or understanding of the human relations involved.

>>9024540
Is a super easy example. He's wearing European clothing because Europeans invaded and colonized the home of his ancestors and launched a campaign of physical and cultural genocide on them.

Their culture survived only somewhat, largely assimilated into the new mainstream North American anglophone one. He was likely raised in both.

The picture is not okay because:

1) It's based on a pejorative caricature of another culture that has no basis in reality.

No indigenous American culture ever was like the cartoon Indians, representations created by white people for white people to demean and other the indigenous.

2) They're claiming a history and a politics that aren't theirs, and not neutrally. They're mocking it, most prominently in the sign that mocks people who don't have native English for not wanting to get slaughtered.

Even if, say, they really thought that the genocide of indigenous Americans was a bad thing, they're speaking for them without consent or consultation, and the whole tone makes it out to be a distanced joke. When white people suffer you'll usually see them get damn humorless damn fast.
>>
>>9024677
sun looks unimpressed
>>
none of you know what cultural appropriation is. ur all white as fuck
>>
>>9025590
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>9025555
Yeah, you should change. Indian Halloween costumes are the most iconic example of bad cultural appropriation. I wouldn't be surprised if someone calls you out on it at the party, tbh.

+1 for asking and everything.
>>
File: sassiest.jpg (577KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
sassiest.jpg
577KB, 2448x1836px
>>9024539
underrated post.

whole shitty thread should have stopped here
>>
>>9025485
youre based as fuck dude thank you for understanding.
>>
we /pol/ now
>>
>>9025379
nice one autist

>>>/http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/fashion/
>>
anyone who doesn't see the difference between dressing to fit in with the dominant culture in your country and dressing up in traditional clothing as a joke is being purposely dense and not worth discussing with
>>
>>9025616

Whatever, tumblr
>>
>>9025744
Why can't a dress in what I want, regardless of what my skin color is? Why do I need a fucking blood test from Dr Mengele that says I'm of pure ancestry to wear a turban or sarong or whatever the fuck?

The people who push this cultural appropriation bullshit are if anything MORE racist than your average /pol/ack.
>>
>>9024643
>Europeans appropriated everything else they had though
t o p k e k
>>
are all colleges filled with these stupid "culture not a costume" posters or is it just NAU
>>
>>9025338
I've never seen a non-Christian wear a rosary
>>
>>9024978
r u srsly saying little red riding hood is somehow important to white culture hoollly fuck u r stupid
>>
>>9026851
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.