[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have jobs at /fa/ stores?? I'm wondering because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

Anyone have jobs at /fa/ stores??

I'm wondering because I'm possibly moving to NYC for school next year, and would really like to have a job to pay for some of it (incoming freshman). A job at APC or Acne would be amazing. The only problem is I have 0 work experience (High school has taken up all of my time, I'm applying to Columbia which is why I'm making this thread). How do stores like these generally look at presumably like me? I guess this is a question for ALL retail jobs, but ideally I'd like to work at a place which suits my style/interest. Sorry in advance for being very very ignorant in this matter.
>>
>>9002965
bumping this, literally my same position
>>
>>9003072
applying to Columbia and everything?
>>
>>9002965
I'd say not to constrict yourself to a few brand stores because they simply suit your style. It's not like you'll rock up, give them your resume, and they'll offer you a job. In fact, it's highly unlikely. I'd suggest, more than anything, to not rock up with high expectations and expect you'll be working at any particular store, let alone the ones you like. If two people apply, they'll pick the one who's worked at retail before unfortunately. Even if you are effay as fuark.

Good luck.
>>
>>9002965
i'm a first year college student and seriously a lot of high end stores want at least 3 years of experience in high end retail
you also have to be really good looking and approachable
>>
I just got a job at Apple. I guess that counts?
>>
Not /fa/, but I used to work at Tommy Hilfiger.

Retail experience is sorta necessary. And the fact that you have no work at experience at all is obviously also pretty undesirable. But persistence and enthusiasm can go a long way so that is my only advice I guess. Unless you know someone or are/look cool as fuck, you probably won't be able to cop a job at APC or Acne without experience.
>>
>>9002965
tried the fashion retail job thang this summer in nyc myself. all of those high end stores tend to recruit from lower end stores. if you have no experience theres no way somewhere like APC, Acne, or even dqmxvans will take you. However, places like Jcrew, H&M, Uniqlo, American Apparel etc will actually give you a chance provided you don't sperg out during an interview. once you have some experience at stores like those a job at APC will be more realistic.
>>
>>9003095
this is also apparent when you go somewhere like APC, the level of service is noticeably more refined.
>>
>>9002965
They won't accept you. These high-end boutiques will only take actually qualified individuals (primarily fashion, art, etc. students) that have an open schedule.

I applied to Acne but they won't hire me because I'm a full time college student and don't have a very flexible schedule.
I immediately got a job at American Apparel, though, but this job is way easier.
Get into Columbia first or any school in NYC for that matter before worrying about a job, lol.
>>
>>9002965

pro tip: If ur a cunt they wont hire you
>>
>>9002965
You don't get a high end retail job as your first. You have to work up from lower end. I don't think even Dillards would hire you. Macys and Kohls would. I work at Banana Republic and we have a lot higher standards for our employees than when I worked at Kohls. At Kohls almost all of my coworkers were dumb as fuck. At Banana everyone knows fashion pretty well and all the guys are pretty good looking. You would be expected to be attractive, knowledgeable, and a good salesman. You probably aren't a good salesman and you probably aren't attractive though.
>>
>>9003099
Already submitted my app and finished testing, so I was just thinking about it.

Well seems like I'm not getting that job. Thanks to everyone for the advice though.
>>
>>9002965
>no experience
>probably knows fuck all compared to the acne girls
>most likely doesn't look amazing.
sorry you have no assets to offer them.
get a job at a factory or some shit.
>>
This thread reminds me of the short commercial with Bon Qui Qui working at Alexander Wang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKPTTIlA5gg
>>
>>9002965
I work in "high-end retail" (read: rich people store) and unless you personally know someone, you're not getting hired without experience. If you wanna work at APC or Acne, you'd have to spend at least a year at a pleb store and make it very clear through your hard work and success that you are above them, at which point you apply at the more fancy places.
>>
>>9003152
How's the pay?
>>
>>9003156
Not bad, considering I'm a first year student and everyone I know is earning minimum wage. It's not much higher than minimum, but it's the sort of place where they reward you for loyalty so if I stick with them for my 5 years of uni I'll be earning a decent wage/maybe have a fancy job title.

Bear in mind that this I'm only part time and I'm still treated this well. Full timers can work their way up quickly if they're smart. However, I've heard that the promotions and pay rises taper off pretty quickly so you reach max potential after a few years.
>>
>>9003156

$7.50hr
>>
>>9003156
'sall about the comish
>>
>>9003168
So how'd you specifically get the job? Do you get pretty good discounts on the clothes there too?
>>
File: 1398357245317.jpg (392KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1398357245317.jpg
392KB, 960x1280px
>>9003177
>'sall
>>
>>9003079
I went to Columbia HURRAH!

I got my job in high end retail at the age of 18 simply because I spoke 4 languages. 2 of which covered the major clientele.

So if you have a language skill it would be awesome, but largely it's about being friendly, well presented and once you get the job SELL SELL SELL.

That last part is fucking crucial.
>>
>>9002965
>>9003072
literally my same position
>>
>>9003193
Discounts are shit all, 15% off retail. I can get cost price on certain items which is good though, got a $500 suit for $160 cos I claimed it was for work. The 15% is really useless considering how overpriced the store is though. The only time it's handy is when sale's on, so 50% off becomes 65% off and 75% off becomes 90% off. I've had the second one happen once, scoring shirts for $12. Overall though, definitely not in it for the discounts. Pretty much never shop there.

As for how I got in, it took me fucking ages cos I'm not related to anyone in the business and I had no previous high-end experience. I first got a contract with them doing degrading christmas work in 2012, which I did again in 2013. I'd applied for work there multiple times from like 2011 till then but never got hired apart from Xmas casual. Then after the Xmas period ended in 2013, they were short-staffed for the boxing day sale and asked me to stay on (originally to work in the basement). They realised after one day that they needed help on the floor much more than in the basement, so I got called up to work the rest of the sale in the menswear department. After that, I worked the end-of-season sale that started two weeks after. Applied for permanent work at the end of that, but even after working 6 days a week for them for two months I still didn't get shit. Finally, about two months later, my old job went under and I went in and sort of demanded a position. Turned out they had just been trying to find a reason to get more staff, so they hired me as a floater cos they'd known me for 2 years (it was March 2014 at this point). After a few months of working shit jobs as a floater in the worst departments, I finally managed to get a permanent position in menswear after one of the guys there quit and he basically set up everything so that I would get his position. Even then, I wasn't the only guy they interviewed.

So yeah, getting in took a lot of time and effort.
>>
>>9003219
lol, japanese and korean?
>>
>>9003224
Oh and this is all at a department store, which actually needs a reasonable amount of staff to keep everything going. I can't imagine how much harder it'd be to get into a tiny 5-staff place like the APC in OP's pic
>>
>>9003221
literally my same position
>>
>>9003226
probably chinese and spanish
>>
>>9003219
No language skills here, unfortunately. Just curious, what graduating year are you?? (honestly I have like 100 more questions)

>>9003224
>>9003228
Jesus. This is very, very dissuading. I'll probably try my hand at American Apparel or similar tier (although my GF works there and she even says that they are very picky)
>>
>>9003232
Yeah not gonna lie, getting into a shitty dead-end profession like retail is a lot harder than you'd think. Really, you just have to get lucky and score that first job. After that, you have EXPERIENCE, and that is worth a fucking tonne. I can go from my somewhat prestigious workplace and get a job at any mall-tier store I want, fuck around and have fun there, and probably demand the same pay I had at the first place. You can go from place to place a lot easier once you have some form of experience
>>
>visit the apc store in Melbourne
>staffed by two mannequin looking types standing stock still
>store is full of guidos and Indian tourists pretending they're going to buy something
>peruse the shirts and tees
>one of the dolls sidles up to me after he'd been disdainfully ignoring everyone else
>he licks his dry lips and says "we have more sizes in the back" as a glob of spittle lands on me
>turn look at him
>he's wearing some kind of strange goof ninja ensemble and looks about 15
>his soft face is covered in some of the worst acne I've ever seen
>I assumed a high end boutique would discriminate against that kind of thing
>he returns to his statue pose
>implying I'd pay retail

If that fuccboi can get a job in sure you can op.
>>
>apc

The menswear stores in my city stopped carrying apc three years ago already.
>>
File: 26.jpg (511KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
26.jpg
511KB, 1800x1200px
>>9003099
>acne
>apc
>high-end
>>
File: 1412062799270.jpg (55KB, 777x932px) Image search: [Google]
1412062799270.jpg
55KB, 777x932px
>>9003224
>all this just to stand around and lie to people that the thing they picked out looks good on them then counting it up on the register
>>
>>9003334

he probably got in through a friend or something

most jobs these days hire people through nepotism

i see alot of unqualified fucks working at a ton of places, and i'm pretty sure they only reason they're employed is because they knew someone.
>>
>>9003477
compared to the average, yes
>>
>>9002965
My SA at Saint Laurent used to work at Billy Reid, and before that had no retail experience.. He's a cool dude, but he's like 27-ish and works a retail job and doesn't go to scool/grad school... He also wears the SL leather jackets, and i really hope he idn't purchasing them because that would be the biggest financial fuckery ever... Making what i'd assume to be ~15/hr and spending 6K on a jacket... Shit is dope, but like wtf nigga
>>
Not a store but I work in a high-end department store on the floor that sells clothing. It's like working in a store, but you have ten thousand different brands and have to at least look like you know a thing or two about each, be friendly and helpful if they ask for it and keep track of stock, man the register and the watch over changing rooms. Different things on different days.
>>
>>9003513
Whenever I go into a Nordstroms, they're on point as fuck. I get like ten people asking to help me or going off on some spiel about whatever brand I happen to be perusing at the time. I mean if I actually want help it's great, but it gets annoying after the third dude tries to help me out. Guess that's what you gotta do when you're paid on commission. Do you like your job?
>>
>>9003496
I have my own little turf in the department, so I don't get creeped on by my manager a lot. Which means I have a lot of freedom to not lie to customers. A lot of the time I'll be honest if what they're wearing doesn't suit them. Well, I don't say it to their face, but it's very easy to discourage shoppers without actually saying anything. They'll usually walk out happy, with something better in their hands, or I'll direct them to a better store.

But that's pretty much only if I'm in a good mood+if the customer's a nice person and I want them to do well for themselves. If they're being a wanker I'll just tell them they look amazing and make the sale and look good to my boss.
>>
is software engineering /fa/ if I'm not a neckbeard fedorian?
>>
>>9003536
PEOPLE OF /FA/, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS POST

Can you please tell managers in the stores that you're annoyed by the constant questions, and that you are capable of asking for help if you need it? Believe me, it's not our choice to pester you like that. We all have a sort of intuition as to whether you want help or just want to do your own thing, but the bosses want to make sales (which is fair enough, I suppose) and don't actually care about customer service per se, so they ride us constantly and make us talk to every single person, then bitch and moan if we spend a second not raping someone into a purchase.

To think of the amount of people who have bought clothes that they neither want nor need simply because I've convinced them to buy it is sickening to me
>>
>>9003778
oh my god this

the number of times I've not gone into a store because there was no one else in there
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.