[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone on /fa/ ever make their own clothes? I have a decent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Rick-Owens-Bomber-Jacket-02.jpg (30KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
Rick-Owens-Bomber-Jacket-02.jpg
30KB, 540x540px
Does anyone on /fa/ ever make their own clothes?

I have a decent ass sewing machine I was left from my grandmother.

I'm looking for anything on clothing making.

>I make my own clothes
>>
I'm basically wanting to clone some rick fits.
>>
>>8972403
hoIy shit I own that exact bomber.
>yfw you own a RO ma-1
that shit is heaven I tell you what OP.
>>
>>8972436
Fuck, I really want that jacket tho.

>tfw poor and will never own real rick
>>
>>8972436
i just missed out on buying one for 550 by a couple of hours and this whole thread is making me want 2 cry fu anon
>>
File: yiuy.png (925KB, 730x1286px) Image search: [Google]
yiuy.png
925KB, 730x1286px
I posted this a while ago to a pretty decent response
>>
>>8972432
you're going to have to go to school for two years to learn patterns to even start to be able to tbh
if you just want to make long tshirts thats one thing but rick had a reputation as the best in the city for a reason bruhbruh
>>
>>8972837
I don't see why you'd think that, his fits are really simple.
>>
>>8972868
i think that because i know how to make patterns and i'm consistently impressed with his work. are you sure you're qualified to speak about this?
>>
>>8972837
> school
> patterns
Can you failures not see the panels of fabric in your mind and transfer via basic geometrics, measurements, and eyeballing? This shit is easy, been doing it with costumes for myself and others (selling, and for girlfriends) and my own clothes for years. It may take some time to learn, but it's really simple shit, no matter the piece. Just dedication for more complicated stuff like jackets with linings, etc. If you have half a brain, you can figure out patterning in a very short time. I was making jeans and jackets in my mid teens.
>>
I wanna get into it just to learn how to make some tees and some frankenstein monster tier pants.
>>
>>8972755
It's almost as tall as half a door!
>>
>>8972933
i love patterns and it comes very easily to me. maybe it does to you too, but my experience with colleagues at school and in the industry is that it's impenetrably arcane to them and i might as well be the white wizard gandalf for all they understand about what i do. your statement about how easy it is just is not the case.

btw, do you do production patternmaking, do you know how to work with darting and shaping, or are you just talking about making roughly anatomical boxes that happen to sew together?
>>
>>8972933

Yes you can figure out basic concepts through sheer picking apart but it takes much, much longer to teach yourself than going to school for it, and you'll probably never quite reach the same level of technical skill as someone who was professionally trained.

Also Rick isn't exactly a designer who produces clothes that are simple to rip off compared to others, and there are lots of technical subtleties that would probably go missed or not understood to the untrained individual
>>
>>8972933

Yeah because everybody is a savant like u just described yourself.
And I bet your stuff isn't even that good tbh.
>>
>>8972959
this isn't to intimidate anyone or keep them from trying btw, but you need to be realistic about your expectations because what rick/what the people in the industry who are making your clothing do is not a simple task. it's very skilled labor and many of them aren't making nearly enough for their abilities.
>>
>>8972933

>i have literal autism

just because its easy for you doesnt mean its easy for someone else moron
>>
Rick's clothes are minimal looking, but his patterns are very tech.
>>
The best part about making your own clothes is you can be picky about your fabric choices. With Internet resources, you can find anything imaginable. Enjoy making clothes, OP. It's a fun hobby!
>>
>>8973036
Bumping this.
>>
>>8972960
Oh please tell me of these "technical subtleties" that are present in clothes that aren't found by looking at a goddamned piece of clothing. And I'm by no means a savant, but my father taught me how to use my mind and my hands to figure out things, and that has served me well enough. At a young age, he taught me woodworking, then we moved on to sewing when I was in middle school, followed by mechanics and electronics (dismantling engines, soldering breadboards, etc) in high school, and before I left home we had a bout with leatherworking. I continued the leatherworking through today, as well as the sewing, and hope to have a shop like his one day to teach my son/daughter the same skills.

But I guess since none of you had parents worth a damn, you're all bunch of NEETs with no skills.

It sucks being autistic.
>>
>>8973102
there's no need to be autistic, this could be a learning and sharing opportunity for everyone involved. why don't you post some of your work?
>>
>>8973109
haha didn't mean to use autistic, meant to say hostile. sorry.
>>
>>8973102
good post

my dad was the same :)
>>
File: 1413408101050.jpg (44KB, 487x720px) Image search: [Google]
1413408101050.jpg
44KB, 487x720px
>>8973102
>>8973132
>my dad was the same

mine too
>tfw as a child you realised not everyone has access to this kind of childhood :(

>>8972959
>>8972960
It's really not that hard.
First thing I made was a pattern for a Sruli tee, vectored it up to size based on the picture on the tag, and the measurements of the real one.

From there it's just geometry in two dimensions and being persistent enough to spend the time sewing it all up.

What do you learn at fashion school? Surely it doesn't take years just to learn about properties of fabrics, sewing and patternmaking? (ps this is a sincere question)
>>
>>8973453
there's a considerable amount to cover in terms of technique including pattern making, which should be the bulk of any education because there's so much subtle technique to teach. why don't you post some of your work and i'll tell you what i think of it?

sruli is hardly a masterful patternmaker btw, lol
>>
>>8973453
Could you post the vector?
>>
>>8973102
hey man, you would be in exactly the same boat if you didn't have a father like yours.
>>
You guys might end up spending more when you factor the time, labor and sourcing of material

Some of a Ricks fabrics are out of this world, no store will sell his blends and it will be a challenge to buy these fabrics at a decent price without importing a couple dozen yards in the least.

I'd stick to interpreting ricks clothing into more deconstructed patterns instead of outright imitate him

By the way I am getting into fashion again because I don't want to spend 500$ on some cotton piece imported from the deserts of Africa when it cost them less than a dollar to make

I am also learning leather working and hope to learn basic silver smithery :3

I hope to share but was curious to know can you "protect" you designs and clothes from "theft"?
>>
>>8974325
Yeah I've emailed the people that supply Voidthebrand with their fabric for their Rickshit and they said I had to buy at least a thousand yards. I've visited a few fabric places for shirts and I was not happy with their cotton jersey. Textiles has been a pain in the ass.
>>
>>8974344
this is why formal training is good. decent textiles are accessible and it allows you to make industry connections
>>
>>8974325
lmao this post and this entire thread

>I'd stick to interpreting ricks clothing into more deconstructed patterns

>I hope to share but was curious to know can you "protect" you designs and clothes from "theft"?
>>
>>8974344
not being able to source nice fabrics and the cost of it made me wanna give up for the time being tbh.
>>
>>8974325
>rick
>i am also learning leather working and hope to learn basic silver smithery :3

ok legolas.
>>
>>8973453

>Surely it doesn't take years just to learn about properties of fabrics, sewing and patternmaking?

"One of the best things about this industry is that there is always something new to learn. Or, better yet, something OLD to learn. At design school, I missed the announcement that said “Attention: It will be impossible for you to learn everything there is to learn about making clothes, even if you spend your entire life doing it.” I missed it because no one ever said it! They should have though, because it’s astounding. Simultaneously humbling and inspiring."

- Errolson Hugh

http://hypebeast.com/2012/6/a-conversation-with-errolson-hugh
>>
>>8974710
lol who is this faggot? all these anons say making clothes is simple shit, b u s t e d
>>
>>8974344
Yeah, hardest part of everything is sourcing fabrics. Especially in this country, have to import to get anything decent.
>>
>>8973453
>>8973102

For fucks sake, enough with all of this. Of course you can construct a garment with enough time + common sense, something to copy and some shit skill on a sewing machine, but please don't act as if this is going to come out as even a passable garment. You might succeed @ a shit-tier level H&M piece if you have a serger around.

It takes a couple years of formal training to learn pattern-making, draping, fabrics/textiles, multiple types of seams, finishing, trims, grain, closures, grading, fitting, inner-construction, interfacing, lining, hand-sewing, tailoring, technical design, etc etc etc.

Yes you can get by sewing together a couple of tshirts that will drape like shit, but enough with this herp derp what's the point of schooling shit.
>>
Any recommendations for essential books about basic (and medium/advanced) sewing/making clothes please ?
>>
>>8973453
post pics of clothes
>>
File: 1250663454002.jpg (29KB, 368x419px) Image search: [Google]
1250663454002.jpg
29KB, 368x419px
> tfw all these faggots who can't into design or basic skill
>>
>>8972755
how you make?
>>
>>8974784
lol'd
>>
File: plastic surgery.jpg (113KB, 450x394px) Image search: [Google]
plastic surgery.jpg
113KB, 450x394px
>>8975321
>Any recommendations for essential books about basic (and medium/advanced) sewing/making clothes please ?

bumpin this
>>
>>8975451
>>8975981

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1606522086/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06GMQRW9AYMYC6E0WS8Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Start with this. As kitch as it looks, it covers most basic sewing/seaming techniques and alot of basics that you should learn before anything else.

http://www.amazon.com/Patternmaking-Fashion-Design-5th-Edition/dp/0136069347/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

This is the most common patternmaking book for schools. Hella outdated style-wise, but with enough common sense, you can use it as a resource to figure out much of anything.

Most importantly just pay attention to how garments are constructed. Notice how seams are sewn, compare shit garments to nice garments, and get a feel for all types/qualities of fabrics. And don't expect any of this shit to be easy as plebs above may have implied, it's a fuck ton of work. Good luck anons.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.