[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I want to start a small online clothing store to sell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: sick fit.jpg (2KB, 77x125px) Image search: [Google]
sick fit.jpg
2KB, 77x125px
Hey guys, I want to start a small online clothing store to sell decent shit and decent prices. Any recommendations on what to make? What do you guys want that just seem to over priced at the moment.
Pic related: I was thinking of making some pants like those. I can never find affordable slim cargoes.
>>
>>8875300
I don't think pants like that would fit on me OP, if the image is anything to go buy.
>>
File: image (1).jpg (191KB, 1024x654px) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
191KB, 1024x654px
Short-sleeved oxfords.
Wool zip up coats.
Wool trousers.
Sweat-shorts.

That's the kind of things I would make.

I bet a lot of people would be into the whole cheap, long tee, similar-to-tricky-ricky shit
>>
>>8875335
I actually like the sweat short idea. I would find a happy ground between some tricky ricky pod short silhouette and your normal sweatshirt because thats kind of my own happy ground for silhouette. I think a cheap layering tee would definitely sell. I like the wool trouser idea too, a little texture never hurt no body.
>>
>>8875300
Unless you run this shit outside of your house you're not going not make a decent return.

This whole store would be much more successful if they sold at less prices:
https://www.frankandoak.com/shop-all

just join, it's not big deal. they got good shit.
>>
You have no idea what you're doing. How are you going to start relations with these companies? How are you going to get them to sell you the clothing in the first place? Do you know anything about fashion besides what /fa/ has told you? Do you have a background in fashion?
If you have thought of or have all of these I apologize for doubting you but I'm almost positive you haven't thought of any of these.
>>
>>8875476
I have the desire to get my own creative out there. I have in the past consulted for some smaller brands in NYC, mostly with finances and finding buyers but also in the creative process. In a nutshell, I have launched a couple good friends off with successful lines. I want my own turn. I was asking about what kind of things people would like. So before you berate someone online you can get informed buddy.
>>
>>8876882

>being this ass ravaged
>>
>>8876882
if you think you know what you're doing why are you asking an australasian stop-motion animation message board for advice
>>
You sound like a douchebag, OP.
>>
you should make extra long overshirts
>>
>>8876882
respect for wanting to produce something creative, I'd try to do something like that if I wasn't so afraid of failing
>>
what fabric and price range are you aiming for?
>>
>>8875300
Honestly if you don't have any ideas you probably shouldn't be starting a clothing line
>>
slim cargos are indeed good.

If you don't have ideas, don't make a clothing line. Ideas are 60% of clothing if not more.
>>
I'm always looking for slightly longer (not quite tunic) shirts - tee, half sleeve, long sleeve (longer than average sleeves as well so they cover the hands), in black or dark grey.

Also long sleeved, fitted, short flared dresses with big hoods.
>>
>>8877057
Also thirding the cargo skinnies.
>>
Wool trousers and coats. I would like to make a commission if you're interested.
>>
>>8876908

I'm not him buy he really isn't asking advice. Just polling what peoples needs are.

I would like comfy cite things like unstructured blazers and nice wool trousers and sweat pants. Sweaters. Long cardigans. Just basic comfy core layering pieces.
>>
>>8877057
>>8877025
i have too many ideas tbh..thats why I'm looking to gear them towards something the community wants.
>>
jean shorts
>>
File: spalwart-sneakers-2.jpg (23KB, 630x413px) Image search: [Google]
spalwart-sneakers-2.jpg
23KB, 630x413px
-3/4 sleeve tees.
-Affordable, minimal, retro-style running shoes like pic related, if you're getting into footwear.
-Lightweight, long comfy blazer jackets like this: http://i.imgur.com/bUW1rMZ.jpg Every time I see this pic posted, people ask w2c. Might could be a thing.
-Minimal bombers are always in demand
>>
Can you make the backward apron belt and alligator hat from https://boards.4chan.org/fa/thread/8872326/design-a-piece-of-clothing-that-doesnt-exist#bottom happen.
>>
>>8877057
more like marketing is 100% of clothing
>>
>>8876882
don't be a damn dummy. anon was honestly asking how you would go about this and has every right to be skeptical. stop being so confrontational, dude was being as amicable as possible.
>>
>>8877343
>Anonymous 09/29/14(Mon)20:31:16 No.8877343 ▶
>>>8877057
>more like marketing is 100% of clothing
im a marketing major which helps.

Anyway so far I'm going to make the following:
-slim/skinny cargoes
-tricky ricky inspired tees in short sleeve/3/4, long sleeve
-thinking of possible sweat/comfy knit stuff

I think thats enough for the beginning. i just need a sense of what you guys would pay for the stuff i mentioned above.
>>
>>8877357
before some faggot posts tree fiddy i will answer honestly: as cheap as fucking possible. they are dead broke after buying their ugly rafdidas and fake geos so 100 buckaroos for some lil sweatshorts won't go down easy
>>
>>8877357
it all depends on the quality, fit, and material. for someone just starting out, maybe 20-45 for the basics and more expensive for the rest. open up to the designs of /fa/. thats something you can market i guess
>>
>>8877357

So...where are you going with your pattern making, fabric sourcing, and production?
>>
>>8877387
i have two options:i can cut my on fabric and produce everything on my own. i have friends that do it and make money and keep price down. IM thinking of outsourcing tbh-mass production of hand made goods is cheap if i hire 12 year olds in indonesia.
>>
>>8877602
No one's gonna buy your shit if you outsource to second world countries.
>>
what makes you think you're going to be successful in a crowded market with tons of failing labels
you don't even know what it is you're going to be making or selling.
do you even know how obscenely expensive it is to produce clothing
>>
>>8877602
Where are you based from?
>>
>>8877642
Basically this. The only people I've seen succeeding recently have had degrees and many awards from fashion houses. You can just open up a big cartel and expect to make money. You have to have a ton of connections, knowledge, and funds otherwise you're just going to fail. Even people who have all of these usually go work for different designers and houses until they have enough experience to feel comfortable making their own clothes. So I would really caution you OP don't do this unless you are positive you know exactly what you are doing. Take an old poster from here and Sufu: Void. He went to design school and I'm pretty sure he even worked for designers for a while only now is he starting to make his own clothing. You have none of this experience or knowledge to put it bluntly so to me it just seems like you're setting yourself up for failure.
>>
>>8877627
implying most fashion houses haven't?
>>
>>8877693
Lol don't want to sound like a dick but most successful designers do not have degrees or awards before they become successful. Your hero Rick dropped out of college and made knock offs with koreans before becoming world renowned. Im based in NYC have connections with both buyers here and also with international suppliers who can produce high quality shit for a decent price. If I had no clue what I was doing do you believe I would come to you guys fro advice. Just wanted to help out and make some shit you guys wanted. You guys in a sense are the niche that spend a lot on fashion.
>>
>>8877964
Your right many designers don't have knowledge or experience. Raf didn't but he still had years of education in design ND many connections, Rei didn't but she had money so her process was greatly expedited, Rick dropped out but he still had years of experience as a pattern cutter. If you really knew what you were doing you would already have a business plan and target market since your a fucking marketing major and this should be second nature. If you're just going to be making knock offs of other designers work just make low quality fakes. The one thing that you don't have that all the uneducated designers did have is passion. You don't seem to be interested in fashion or artistic expression at all. Every designer has started their own label because they have a vision that they want to build off. You don't seem to have this at all you just want to recreate things for your own profit.
>>
>>8877964
>Your hero Rick dropped out of college

He dropped out of art college and went to a technical school to learn the productive aspects of fashion. He didn't "make knockoffs", he was reproducing *couture*, which taught him the incredible drafting vocabulary he uses today.

Good fucking luck you pompous ass.
>>
>>8878047
I forgot to say this, but some designers aren't interested in the artistic aspect at all which is completely fine bit they still have the same passion. Many tech wear brands emulate this well, Veilance will never care about the meaning or emotion their line gives off but they still want to continue to fill the niche. Veilance with a modern much more matured look, Acronym with a futuristic ninja look for lack of better words, even Outlier has their own niche anatomically designed pieces using high-tech material at a pretty affordable price. Unless you plan in filling a niche or creating a completely new look your just going to be another big shot kid who is into "fashun".
>>
>>8878052
Kekhe learned pattern making making knock offs in a korean sweatshop
>>
>>8878340
i mean the technique is pretty much all the same
>>
>>8878340
No, he went to LATTC
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.