[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which college degree is the most /fa/ ? Is your uni /fa/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 40

File: ofw03-299x450[1].jpg (33KB, 299x450px) Image search: [Google]
ofw03-299x450[1].jpg
33KB, 299x450px
Which college degree is the most /fa/ ?

Is your uni /fa/?
>>
A /fa/ degree is one that you learn simply because you love the subject and not because it is /fa/, profitable, or in demand.
So basically most liberal arts
>>
Mcgill arts
Get get me fucclads
>>
>>8619393
What about people who love sciences just because of the subject?
>>
>>8619367
Most of the shitty/female ones.

SO shit like liberal arts/psychology/ languages
>>
what is uni?
>>
>>8619367
I got a PhD in sick beats
>>
Macaulay Honors College. Get to go to /fa/ art museums and shit in the city.
>>
>>8619405
This does indeed happen in the sciences, but I have never encountered an engineer who has anything to say about his discipline other than how much money he'll be making after he graduates.
>>
>>8619414
-versity
>>
>>8619413
>psychology
>shitty/female

How does that make you feel?
>>
>>8619405
Same general idea.
I can't say I'm entirely true to loving knowledge. It isn't necessarily wrong to want to profit off of something you enjoy, because I think a lot of people are hypocritical at that point.
But >>8619429 is right, there are a lot of people who go into engineering because they read and thought it was cool and heard it is in demand and wanna make money.
Personally, I love sciences and want to go into it because I love space. But a hint of me worries about job security and another hint of me believes I'll make bank making it wonderful.
Basically, as long as you are doing what you love for the sake of loving it, it is still pretty /fa/ in my opinion. Doesn't mean you can't want to have a greater income, but don't be a doctor because you heard they make money and you kinda like helping people you guess.
That's just my two cents.
>>
>>8619454
I don't understand what you meant to imply.

Like 80% of psychology students are females in my country. Its a small country so it might differ, yeah.
>>
>>8619456
Why would doing a degree just cause you love it make it /fa/?
>>
>>8619429
Then you've met some vapid engies and codemonkeys.
>>
I'm not going to try and pick out what major is the most effay, because that just seems ridiculous. Whatever the fuck that you are passionate about, assuming that you have any form of taste and self-consciousness, can be effay.

>>8619489
People who can develop their own sense of style and exude authenticity are the coolest motherfuckers around. Being comfortable and loving what you are studying is a mark of knowing who you are, a kind of confidence that is usually pretty /fa/.

As to whether or not my school is /fa/, absolutely not. Start-up tees and sweatpants on most guys, however some are pretty firmly frat/attempted prep. I know there's at least one kid on campus with cps (that logo is not fucking minimal, /fa/ taught me to recognize those shoes from like 100 yards), and another dude used to rock a man-bun and flyknits and looked pretty good. More or less regular old college clothes though.
>>
>>8619489
Because doing a degree either because
-you were told it was /fa/
-you think it will make you money
-your parents told you
and something else is about as far away as /fa/ can get.

it is important to note that it isn't necessarily about loving the career path, but more about loving the pursuit of knowledge. Because you can love working at WalMart but that doesn't make it /fa/ IE you go to college because you wanna learn more about something you love, not just because you wanna work in it. It is somewhat difficult to explain.

That is why liberal arts are so /fa/, because the only people who do that shit love what they learn. Most of them accept that they can't do shit with their degree in their field, and only do it because they love to learn about the subject.
>>
>>8619473
>implying I was implying

The doctrines of those who would endeavor to map the human psyche aren't for the faint of heart. Coddling people through faux psychotherapy isn't what psychology is about, it's just what neocortically challenged homozygotes would have you believe.
>>
>tfw double major in English and Civil Engineering

Books and bridges, my two favorite things.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 160x206px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 160x206px
If you major in anything engineering/computer/science oriented you're a fucking nerd.
>>
>>8619787

Who cares if you're rich and aesthetic?
>>
accounting is /effay/ as fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 608x608px)
image.jpg
73KB, 608x608px
>>8619790
If you're aesthetic you get a business or finance degree and take advantage of people via your intimidatingly good looks.. This is first day stuff man.
>>
I got a major on being a parasite
>>
>>8619393
I'm assuming pure math is in that field?
>>
>>8619817
Of course.
>>
File: 109662669.jpg (16KB, 336x280px) Image search: [Google]
109662669.jpg
16KB, 336x280px
>>8619791
>accounting
get outta here, nerd
>>
>>8619843
>not studying with sorority business babes
stay a virgin
>>
>>8619791
oath
>>
>>8619791
i regret being an accounting major

wish i did petroleum or renewable engineering instead
being rich is /fa
>>
>>8619835
GG
>>
File: Flight Formation.jpg (511KB, 1900x1262px) Image search: [Google]
Flight Formation.jpg
511KB, 1900x1262px
>Not going Engineering and NROTC master race to become a fighter pilot and then make stacks after you get out of the Military. '
MY FUCKING SIDES
>>
File: F18 Formation.jpg (52KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
F18 Formation.jpg
52KB, 640x640px
>>8619787
>I wasted my education on a shitty degree
>Better make fun of the people who are superior to me in every way
Ayy lmao
>>
Physical Therapist. Am I effay enough?
>>
>>8619367

graphic design master race

i'm gonna work for an ad firm and be like mad men
>>
anybody at UCSB?

tryna transfer out but might as well make some /fa/ friends while i'm here
>>
>>8620232
broke bitch
>>
>>8620232
Didn't Elliot go there?
>>
>>8620235
idgi
>>
>>8620239
nah, he went to SBCC lol
>>
>>8619984
What do/will you do?

I'm studying Criminology, not sure if effay. Sometimes I think I should've gone for something petroleum-related just for easy money.

Ideally, I just want to be a rentier/open my educational center, fuck 9 to 5 jobs or fixed schedule or having a boss. Universities are not /fa/, unless they are Ivy League-tier and you do good.
>>
>>8619801
boring as fuck
>>
fashion degree
>>
>>8620250
>I'm studying Criminology, not sure if effay.

Just started doing my masters in forensic psychology.
Feels weird that I am going to decide whether criminals are going to leave prison early and other high responsibility shit.
>>
What if you don't know what you want to major in? There's not much I'm passionate about though I've made pretty good grades. I just want to live comfortably and make enough money to do so.
>>
>>8620266
well you have two chairs to sit on
first is chairs with cocks
it's a well-paid job you probably won't enjoy. e.g. petroleum area
second is chairs with pikes
it's shit like liberal arts which are fun to study and you will meet cool people but nojobs.jpg
>>
>>8619405
Those kinds of people are not /fa/. Science is not aesthetic.
>>
>>8619405
worst shit ever
studying for the sake of studying is mongoloid shit
>>
>>8619852
>sorority
confirmed chubby chaser
>>
>>8620271
So basically it would make more sense to pursue a high paying job, since even if you don't love it you would get the satisfaction of being successful and happy.
I just don't want to get a shitty job that I'll hate for the majority of my life.
>>
>>8620287
>hate your job
>happy
Anon, I don't know how to tell you this...
>>
>>8620287
it would make sense to do both
it would make sense to do neither
it would make sense to just end your life now
that's for you to decide
>>
>>8620287
>for fun in college
accounting + finance for a cpa
econ + major/minor in math
>for misery in college
STEM
>>
>>8620296
I know, being stuck in a shitty job wouldn't be worth it. I just think it'd be a large waste of my life to go for a low paying job just cause I'd genuinely enjoy it. Like I would love to pursue music, but know that it's really hard to get anywhere there.
>>8620301
Thanks!
>>8620303
I'm best at math so I guess what you say makes sense. Thanks, I'll look through those as I try to choose how I'll live the rest of my life.
>>
>>8620313
Music and business double major dawg. Go into productiono
>>
>>8619779
how is Civil???
>>
>>8620436
Pretty fun, the first year is kinda the same thing you would get as an Applied Physics with more geometry. So far it's turning out to be like being an architect that understands the building he designs inside and out.
>>
>>8620436
>>8620495
Oh, and there's a good chance you'll want to get a master's afterwards because there'll a lot of hoops to jump through with certification.
>>
>>8620250
I'm actually just going for the assistant, so it's only about two years instead of seven. There's going to be a shit ton of Neuromuscular and Musculoskeletal therapeutic technique classes.
>>
File: disgust.gif (2MB, 400x181px)
disgust.gif
2MB, 400x181px
>>8619367
>not going to uni
>wasting potential
>watching your friends pile on the debt
>not being a typical goy by being indebted to a bank
>>
>>8619787
Tony Stark mode brah
>>
architecture is easily the most /fa/ degree besides philosophy
>>
Graphic Design

effay or not
worth it or not
>>
>>8620508
yeah, i was planning on it anyway. is it really as time consuming as people say it is? to the point where you have "no life"?
>>
>>8620285
>confirmed for basic bitch chaser
ftfy
>>
>>8620680
Lol

Making money is way more /fa/ than that. Actual successful business, marketing, and sales is the most /fa/ because they control the world, travel by nature, and act with machiavellian intent.

Philosophy lol smh
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 597x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 597x604px
>>8620692
Yes, only because its so unbelievably difficult to get that grail job and requires actual skill not only in the field, but socially and also requires creativity and all around wit

Will that person be you? Probably not, because the guy telling you this (me) is better than you at all those things
>>
>>8619367
Anything that makes a lot of money
>>
>>8620707
you realize that the prince is a work of satire, right?
>>
>>8620695
Not nearly as much as other kinds of engineering, it's about on par with MechE. It's the kind of thing where you can take all day to draw up a plan and enjoy yourself, listen to music or a podcast while you do it, or finish it up in an hour if you forgot that it's due after lunch.
>>
>>8620707
>control the world
are you an cartoon villain?
>>
>>8620720
Actions > ideas
>>
>>8620730
Modern government is controlled by business. We live in oligarchy.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 198x255px
I study Global Liberal Studies and Jew York University

literally a major about old books and nothing useful and you get to go abroad 2 of your three years and you have to take 2 other languages to the advanced level
korean and chinese master race, about to head back to shanghai for my second year
>>
>>8620732
ah, but those who choose to get a degree in business neither accomplish not think. it's best to do what you love (especially if your field isn't saturated with meaningless degrees)
>>
>>8620748
fuck im kinda high

i meant at NYU
and 2 of your 4 years are abroad
>>
>>8620748
effay as fuck. dont worry it might not be usefull for yourself in regards of big money but you are culturally more usefull for humanity than business fags and lawyers
>>
>>8620748
>being a gooky gook
im so sorry
>>
>>8620763
*nor
>>
>>8619852
du studierst mathe ich studier bitches
>>
the desire to make lots of money indicate you came from a poor family

which means you are un/fa by birth
>>
>>8620774
I'm half german half swedish with blonde hair and green eyes, I'm only gooky about my language study and the girls I date
>>8620772
thanks bruh, everyone from my major (about 45 a year) either goes directly to graduate school or into inv banking/PE right after graduation, there's a pretty solid network set up and we have to get internships every other semester at firms and whatnot so im not too worried

but god damn i would love to just be a poet or a novelist, wake up at 3pm and be drunk all day
>>
Architecture
>>
>>8620763
Lol, p sure all of them acomplish more than any philosophy major lmao

Selling iphones affects more than talking about the nature of existence

As if there were an objective answer to that shit

It's asking questions that there aren't answers to but being expert in the speculation of the theories

How real world applicable lmao

I love arbitration
>>
>>8620680
>>8620792
ayy my negroes
>>
>>8620781
>being a kraut
>/fa/
[spoiler]jk ich liebe deutschland[/spoiler]
>>
>>8620796
just because you major in philosophy doesnt mean youll be a philosopher, I intern at a consulting firm and a few guys here have philosophy degrees, they're excellent conversationalists and just cool people, which is probably how they got their jobs

not everyone does exactly what they majored in
>>
>>8620788
>but god damn i would love to just be a poet or a novelist, wake up at 3pm and be drunk all day

my dream life
>>
File: 16577458_130603_1051_21.jpg (329KB, 877x1063px) Image search: [Google]
16577458_130603_1051_21.jpg
329KB, 877x1063px
>>8620813
>all to forget the stress of paying back your loans and avoiding the landlord of your pre war lower east side apartment you split with your best bro from college who has a serious job

I know the desire, friend
>>
>>8620796
>p sure
>lmao
Did you even go to college?
>>
>>8620811
Being a history major would be more useful.
>>
>>8620788
>bruh
>NYU
>I want to be a novelist

fuuuuuuuuck

kill yourself seriously fucking christ i wish your mom had a uterus serial number so that it could be tracked down and liquidated
>>
>>8619528
are you trying to sound like you know what you're talking about or something?
>>
>>8620840
>i wish your mom had a uterus serial number so that it could be tracked down and liquidated
lel
>>
>>8620823
its not about being useful, its about expanding your potential to learn and adapt to knew things, learning how to research and consolidate information and your overall educated "polish" that you can bring to a company

i dont even bother with STEM majors anymore, they're so narrow minded
>>
>>8620840
you seem angry about my situation, which is in no way negatively affecting yours

my mom went to NYU as well, she was an author and an editor in NYC before she had me

how does that make you feel?
>>
>>8620859
I think you're a kike.

I grew up on the east coast around fagits like you. I know your type. First against the wall, Aiden. Or whatever your wrinklepussied mother called you as you leaked out of her.
>>
>>8620722
wow that's a big relief I have no problem with that thank u anon
>>
>>8620893
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 16701coverxiaowenju.jpg (191KB, 700x414px) Image search: [Google]
16701coverxiaowenju.jpg
191KB, 700x414px
>>8620893
not a jew but my best friend growing up was named aiden

what's eating you up inside so badly?
>>
>>8620912
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>8620851
History majors are just that except they know much more about the real world than philosophy majors. History is philosophy applied.
>>
>>8620912
If someone reeks of preciousness, I will call them out on it. Fuck off.

>>8620914
Close enough. Like I said, I know your type. You're a bore despite being intensely obnoxious. It is a feat that only a certain socioeconomic class has mastered. Die.
>>
>Neuroscience
-/fa/ psychology included
-smart science included
-rich mathematics included
prove me wrong plebs
>>
>>8620921
Biology is icky
>>
>>8620919
jesus christ, yeah sorry I forgot I'm on 4chan for a moment
>>
>>8620921
im into neuroscience reaseach with stone mason and design on the side. interested in the evolution of the human.
>>
>>8619367
A PhD in THC
>edge
>>
>>8620919
>preciousness
is that what you meant to say?

you're so angry about this identity that you've attached to me based on 3 or 4 posts, are you sure you aren't projecting?
>>
>>8620999
do you contemplate your studies while perfecting your masonry in lonely and disheveled abandoned churches? because if not you're not I'm not sure you're doing it right, at least not the /fa/ way
>>
>>8620927
>omg i have to dissect shit
>omg microbio
grow some balls
>>
>>8621028
i hate people who are not edgy and hatefull like me
go put a menorah up your ass smh
>>
>philosophy
>fine arts
>art history
>architecture
>design
>archeology
>>
wumbology

it's 1st grade really but w/e
>>
>>8621062
dope
>>
>>8619367

I don't know if it's /fa/, but I'm an English major studying Technical/Professional Writing and Rhetoric.

I've interned at a couple of publications as an editor and fact-checker. Also got a few job offers for Technical Writer positions - it's mostly federal stuff, so looks like that's where I'm headed.

I live in DC.
>>
Studying Marketing at New York University.

>tfw surrounded by un/fa/ weebs
>tfw counterbalanced by /fa/ philosphy and arts students
>>
>>8621144
Did you go to the DC meet up tho
>>
>>8619397
mcgill science
get at me mec
>>
>>8619528
top kek psychology is a hack soft 'science'
>>
joint math and physics major
>tfw cant wait for school to start
>>
Majoring in Industrial Design. Am I effay?
>>
>>8619889
fuuuuuuuck yeah NROTC the only better deal out there is NUPOC
>>
Electrical Engineering/Mathematics

I have a 5-step plan to get hired by owenscorp
>>
>>8620921
Fuck yeah neuroscience.

>>8619528
Don't worry about these idiots.

For me cognitive science/neuroscience is such a fascinating, abstract and complex science that I decided to pursue it and abandon Med.

What better generation than ours to try and further a science, that in the grand scheme of things, is in it's infancy. I see it as an endless enigma with new challenges everyday. If enjoying my job isn't /fa/ enough then I don't really give a fuck.

Oh, and who was complaining about 80% females taking psych? As one of the few reasonably attractive men with a sense of fashion in the post grad neuro (although most of the women go for clinical), I get no shortage of female attention.
>>
>>8621167

>neuroscience
>soft
>being this ignorant
>>
>>8621156
but stern is inherently un-fa, as it consists of mostly Indians and fobby as fuck asians
>>
>>8621174
iktf
I love college, studying and learning what you want is incredible
>>
>>8620709
if you were as good as you think you are you wouldn't have to assert your superiority on an anonymous japanese anime forum on a friday night lol
>>
I'm genuinely surprised this thread isn't full of STEM students sperging put like they normally do.
>>
>>8621201
mah nigga
although I'd be hesitant to group psych with neuro as once you advance enough into it they become very different things
>>
>>8621174
>tfw doing the same but only have 3 months left until finishing
>>
>>8620680
>>8620748
>>8620792
>>8621017
>>8621057
>>8621187
>>8620921
these are the ONLY /fa/ majors in this thread
>>
>>8621208
It's just a shame that it's such a buisness.
>>
>>8621232
shit bro, half way though. what courses you taking in your last semester?
>>
so according to the general sentiment i see in this thread, the less the challenging and less useful the major, the more /fa/ it is?
>>
>>8621254
that's true for everything though
>>
>>8621249
im australian so stuff is probably much different here
>advanced optics and nuclear physics
>biophysics
>astrophysics
>mathematical methods and partial differential equations
>mathematical computing for finance
>>
library studies and japanese

dont give a fuck if its eggay or not
>>
>>8619418
underratedpost
>>
>>8620840
you're waaay too angry bruh
>>
>>8620215
>>8620680
>>8620748

these
>>
>>8620271

>you will meet cool people while studying liberal arts

you will meet people, not necessarily cool people
>>
I'm a language double major and I see a lot of really /fa/ people in our hall.

Probably because we're all the kind of cunts who break friendships based on who your favorite author is.

Mine is e. e. cummings
>>
>>8619367

Math, but only if you're REALLY /fa/ and goodlooking.
>>
File: berkeleyLogo.gif (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
berkeleyLogo.gif
50KB, 600x600px
>>8619505
>n most guys, however some are

hi im supposed to hate you. I honestly agree with most of what you said, start up t shirts and AA hoodies (we have one two steps from campus). Although, there are a lot more /fa/ fits I have been seeing lately.

pls respond so lonely in bay area rn
>>
>>8621261
what fields are you interested in
>>
If you're a liberal arts (eg. philosophy) major are you unemployable by default, or only if you went to a meh university?

I've been accepted to Dartmouth and Yale for philosophy. Am I not employable, especially in fields such as finance and consulting, just because of the name I'll get to put on my resume? I thought it worked like that.
>>
>>8621665

dunno, I did Aniamtion and now i'm a professional concept artist/animator
>>
>>8621665
i you say to any employer that you went to fucking yale and have decent work experience from while you were studying then you'll get great job offers. it's worth getting additional business qualifications though
>>
>>8621187
I am think about Industrial Design major. Is it any good anon?
>>
I'm doing communications but wanting to transfer into Product Design, anyone have any experience?
>>
is chemical engineering /fa/ or at least the most /fa/ engineering degree?
>>
You can't ever start one of these threads as "Muh engineering" fags are the majority of 4Chan. Not to mention that they regard any science that is not their own field to be inferior.
>>
I'm doing economics with a minor in political science.

What's a more /fa/ master, international relations(EU External Relations) or development economics?
>>
>>8621727
Not the guy you answered to
I got into Brown, UMichigan, and other top 30 but not "absolute top tier" universities like Yale or Harvard

I'm supposed to study economics, is it a valuable degree if it comes from a top 30 uni?

Can only Harvard/Yale/Princeton grads study liberal arts and then get jobs or are they other schools where you can study something useless but still be very marketable afterwards?
>>
>>8621583
Probably doing medical physics. Great pay and there is a good program in my area, and maybe i can volunteer in a poor asian country or something for a while to escape Aus.
Meteorology/numerical modelling of oceans and climate interests me but it seems a lot less profitable and for plain old meteorology they can apparently send you wherever they want which would be fucked.
i've ended up having great subjects for finance but i don't want to do that unfortunately because i have morals and don't want to be miserable
>>
>>8620276
pure mathematics can be very aesthetic.
it is more an art than science.
>>
>not going labcore everyday
>not playing with chemicals every day
>not having molymods to play with

Chemistry is the GOAT fun subject
>>
going to study hard and will go to med school next year
>>
>>8621827
economics is one of the best majors for going into ib or business (ie getting rich as fuck) and brown is a reputable uni. experience and connections are just as important though
>>
>>8620707
>mfw I studied philosophy because it is interesting as fuck
>mfw older peeps actually love the subject and are always intrigued/slightly jelly because they studied something for nothing but shekels
>mfw I got into a masters with full scholarship
>mfw I make about 95.000€ after taxes working for the European Council of Human Rights
>mfw I'm not even 30

Yeah no it sucks doing something you love, excelling in it and being recognised. Not that 95k is that much, but it sure as fuck is enough for my clothes, house, car, alcohol and clubbing addictions.
>>
>>8620796

Why do all the literal betas lack any clue of the diversity and possibilities of philosophy? I never talk shit about engineering, why do you feel it necessary to belittle philosophy when you know so little?
>>
I have 2 more years before I enter University, which gives me some time to figure out what to do with my life. Which leads me to asking; what would you guys recommend me to study when my main interests are anthropology and sociology? I want a decently well-paying job after I'm finished studying btw.
>>
>>8622187
>2 more years before I enter University
>>
>>8622192
yea. im 21 if youre implying im underage?
>>
Aeronautical Engineering

I currently have an A&P license and work on jets just finishing up my bachelors while I work.
>>
>>8622202
That was the implication/
>>
>>8622219
well friend, im not :^)
>>
I did an MChem at St Andrews and a DPhil at Oxford (Magdelen)
>>
>>8620784
But there's nothing more aesthetic than pulling yourself from your bootstraps.
>>
>>8622160
thank you anon
this gives me hope
>>
>>8621205
>mixing psychology with neuroscience

I'm in my 3rd year as a psychologist.
>>
>>8619512
i dont know what do do anymore :(

should I not want to make money? I honestly have no interest in anything, all I want to do is make money
>>
>>8620631
>living in a country so shit that you are in massive debt by the time you leave college

poor 'muricans lmao
>>
>>8620730
>>8620736
put in ur place nigga
>>
>>8620893
this guy
>>
>>8620276
only losers who are uncapable of using logic, learning massive amount of information and lack curiosity think science is uncool :^)
>>
File: university-of-toronto.png (165KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
university-of-toronto.png
165KB, 1000x1000px
>>8619367

Political Science & History Maj

Velut Arbor Aevo bitches.
>>
Marketing

master race
>>
>>8619505
If you ever see anyone wearing Hender Schemes at Stanford, it's me.
>>
>>8621823
I'm doing the same thing. I'd go with IR for the master, but that's just me.

But yeah, economics major at University of Michigan. The asians are mostly pretty /fa/ but most of the white kids dress fratcore/sororitycore.
>>
File: america.png (582KB, 553x515px) Image search: [Google]
america.png
582KB, 553x515px
>>8619367

Who Linguistics here
>>
Is culinary /fa/
>>
I study economic history at LSE

it is not effay
>>
>>8622577
how is U of T?

i got accepted but ended up going to Queens
>>
>>8622577
Where are the majority of your classes held? All downtown? Considering transferring.
>>
>>8621159
Polytechnique Computer Engineering.
Montreal represent?
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 309x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 309x326px
Business. Money is Power. Power is influence.

Don't fuck with us. Who needs to be "effay (weak skeletons and emotional wrecks) when you can be powerful.
I am responsible for millions of dollars in revenue as an intern, while living in luxury as a student.
>>
>>8622939
Please don't go on a shooting spree against females.
>>
>>8622577
A-Adam?
>>
>>8622945
>my parents are rich

Ftfy
>>
>>8619787

have fun eating top ramen the rest of your life
>>
>>8622901
it is

the thousands year old art of cooking a delicious meal that pleases almost all senses? nigga that's /fa/. gastronomy is the fashion of the tastebuds.
>>
>>8620823
>history
>as useful as philosophy
Are you completely retarded nigga? Philosophy is the mother of all science and you learn how to express yourself and arguing in a congruent manner. Those are good qualities for a anyone in finance, history is for idiots (can learn everything they learn by just reading books from the library, philosophy is a bit harder if you get into the more logic/math based fields).
>>
>>8622160
>mfw I make about 95.000€ after taxes working for the European Council of Human Rights
Are your parents rich as fuck or connected to top EU organs? Because having such a job with 95k EUROS after taxes by 30 would be impossible otherwise, that's like 200k pre-tax in most EU countries.

What the fuck do you do in your job?
>>
>>8622945
>I am responsible for millions of dollars in revenue as an intern, while living in luxury as a student.
And yet you are just like us other mortals, doomed to die on this shitty planet. If you really think that wielding"power" is something meaningful in the end, you are at the mental level of a third grader.
>>
>>8621503

Anyone else a part of the UC/ bay area fam?
>>
>>8619528
Psychology is total bullshit and you know it.
>>
>>8623328
It seems as if American psychology is pretty dumbed down.
Here in Germany the numerus clausus for psychology is as high as for human medicine.
>>
>>8623211
>arguing in a congruent manner
>history is for idiots
>>
>>8623178
>majored in business at Wharton
>now doing management consulting at McKinsey
>going to leave and get a Harvard MBA, then get into investment banking or stay in consulting, don't know yet
>either way, will be making more than 200k counting bonuses, and if I get into banking, I'm likely to hit 500-700k as a MD after five years

Top ramen? If you say so.
>>
>>8619433
what?
>>
>>8623454
Uni-versity
University
>>
>>8621747
show me some sketches of yours and I'll tell you
>>
>>8623471
you british fucks should learn proper english. no civilized nation calls college "uni"
>>
>>8621753
I study ID at the best School in Germany. Getting in is pretty hard since people prepare their portfolios for 2 years, but then the professors judge them in 10 seconds because they claim to know what a good sketch looks like and that they can judge it in seconds.

Feel free to post some sketches of yours.

>>8623482
except for the fact that University IS what it is called and Uni is what EVERYONE calls it.
>>
>>8623482

im american and call it uni

what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>8623482
College and University are different things. College is like McDonald's. You get a cheap, fast degree.
University is more academic, you have to attend it longer and pay more.

I guess that's also why some degrees are considered low tier in America, but high tier in Germany, Switzerland, France, Austria
>>
>>8623003
>w2c shotgun
>>
>>8623482
>british
>learn proper english

In the United States, "college" formally refers to a constituent part of a university, but generally "college" and "university" are used interchangeably,[1] whereas in Ireland, the UK, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong and other former and present Commonwealth nations, "college" may refer to a secondary or high school

maybe there's a reason shier tier universities are essentially called "high school" by amerifats
>>
Is culinary effay
>>
>>8623700
yes
>>
>>8623571
>shit tier universities
Harvard College
Dartmouth College
Amherst College
Williams College
>>
Fuuuck I majored in computer science cause
>muh money and computers
but now i think i made a mistake cause I'm not sure if i'll even enjoy it. Thankfully I'm only one year deep but i don't know what to do

Is minoring in economics a smart thing to do? Would that combo of major and minor be a good idea or should I just switch majors all together?
>>
File: ayy.jpg (11KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
11KB, 500x375px
>There are people on /fa/ right now who didn't go to a top 25 college in the nation
O, i am laffin
>>
>>8623744
Dope
>>
>>8623929
Just go do quantitative finance after you finish CS. It's the most money you'll make being an unsociable nerd (in general).
>>
NYU-Tisch with a double majoring in Film & TV, and Photography.

My school is kinda /fa/ I guess, full of artsie-hipster kids and Stern is full of Menswear faggots.
>>
>>8623946
one last question i have the option to major in IT is that just a big fuckin waste of time? It just seems like baby shit CS. Or is there any logical jumps after graduating in it like you said with CS
>>
Didn't want to commit myself to grad school which is pretty much required to make good money as an economist, so I opted for a computer science major while working towards a certificate in econ

I have two friends in my major who are /fa/ and normal, and we definitely have a huge advantage over everyone else. My grades are pretty mediocre but I've never not been offered a job I've been interviewed for, just because most CS guys are just... something else.

And yes, I actually do like programming academically however I couldn't do it for a living.
>>
Critical theory
>>
File: Oxford_logo[1].png (47KB, 502x582px) Image search: [Google]
Oxford_logo[1].png
47KB, 502x582px
PPE majors

We out here, fam
>>
>>8624004
Very (faux)-effay if you're at the New School for it

I've spent some time at EGS which was pretty jefé too.
>>
What about statistics?

I'm going to get into finance afterwards, hopefully sales and trading.
>>
>>8624058
Forgot to specify, major in Stats and minor in philosophy (because it's interesting, not for jobs because they're nonexistent)

School is Cornell
>>
Went to an average SUNY school because cheap tuition (though living expenses make up for it anyways) for Biochem.
>>
>>8624018
Why do you/your parents want you to become a politician. Maybe you can become the first faggot PM.
>>
>>8620748
I can't believe they actually make this kind of majors just to exploit money out of the parent's wallets of hipsters kids.

Medicine major. over here. Losers.
>>
>>8624018
i don't believe you
>>
File: So bad so sad.jpg (304KB, 1200x948px) Image search: [Google]
So bad so sad.jpg
304KB, 1200x948px
>He didn't go to a top 50 school
>He didn't take a Math related Major
>>
File: laBIBWI.jpg (77KB, 1022x764px) Image search: [Google]
laBIBWI.jpg
77KB, 1022x764px
>>8624237
While my friends were studying to be engineers and doctors and complained how stressed out they were all the time, I actually thought school was really interesting and fun. Not that I've had much use for my degree (pic related) after I graduated but at least I have an interesting job.
>>
>>8619397
McGill arts&sci
>>
>>8619367
>Which college degree is the most /fa/ ?
Architecture
>Is your uni /fa/?
They don't just pick up on current fashion trends, but through the design of the aesthetic of the physical manifestation of the city and the way in which it's inhabitants interact with each other, determines the psychology of what your subconsciousness informs you that which is fashionable, and what isn't.
But alot of students are just foreign Asians that couldn't math.
>>
File: logo.jpg (7KB, 300x150px) Image search: [Google]
logo.jpg
7KB, 300x150px
msc financial econ here
>>
File: 1386773142712.jpg (27KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
1386773142712.jpg
27KB, 260x384px
>>8620276
>science is not aesthetic
>>
psychology would be the most /fa/ if it wasnt the easiest fucking program ever at 99.9% of universities

computer science or computer engineering probably is the default most /fa/
>>
File: RiceLogo_TMRGB72DPI.jpg (136KB, 912x359px) Image search: [Google]
RiceLogo_TMRGB72DPI.jpg
136KB, 912x359px
any /fa/gs going to rice this year?

plz
>>
>that feel when senior in hs and dont have any passions so i have no fucking clue what my major is :-)
>>
>>8622495
That's interesting.

I seemed to get into neuroscience through a BSc, majoring in psych.
>>
>>8624372
>going to a college named after a fruit
>fa
>>
>>8623449
>math major
>300k starting
>>
>>8624391
More realistically, the best case scenario would be
>math major
>math PhD at a reputable school
>200k starting at a quant hedge fund

you probably won't find any better, although 300k starting might be a realistic goal at a firm such as Renaissance, DE Shaw or the like but a PhD in math, stats, CS or physics is mandatory.
>>
>>8619367
>Which college degree is the most /fa/ ?
Fashion Design, I'd assume.
>Is your uni /fa/?
lel no. people think they dress well because it's a liberal arts university, but it mostly amounts to tall, skinny nerds wearing tight clothing and flannel and looking okay because they're tall and skinny.
This one manlet prances around in five-inch cuffs on his jeans and thinks he's dope as fuck. I just laugh internally. the guy can have his delusions.
The dozen people who dress awesome are always a nice sight to see when walking around campus.
>>8619429
>this is liberal arts major logic.
>cherry picks based off the neckbeards he's met
>thinks science is entirely devoid of passions
someone didn't learn about fallacies in their those classes for his English minor.
>>
>>8624389
>fruit.

God my sides.
>>
>>8624384
That's how I was at the beginning of my senior year
now i'm taking business/fashion related courses and making my own clothes :-)
>>
>>8624237
there are no jobs for math majors unless you intend to work in something completely unrelated to math
>>
I'm studying physics, will probably never get a job, but I don't care.

>>8624691
Everything is related to math, genius.
>>
>>8621158

Yeah, I've chilled with some of the people from the DC meet-up. It was pretty chill, there's a pretty decent number of us here.
>>
>>8624691
>What are hedge funds
>inb4 it's not Math because it's under business
>inb4 making algorithms to determine when to sell stocks isn't math
>>
>>8624119
those kinds of majors were around wayyy before college got ridiculously expensive

if you're filthy rich college isnt an investment in the future, you'll already be fine, its just a place where you can explore new passions and learn interesting things

sorry youre so bitter though
>>
Biomed engineering then I'll get an O&P masters so I'll be a Prosthetist. Am I effay?
>>
>>8619367
>mfw finance and accounting majors rule the world

stay pleb guys
>>
>>8624955

Always
>>
>>8624364
>computer science

lmao hell no, stop kidding yourself. unless you have a fucking gift at it, then some indian will just get outsourced your job

have fun m8
>>
File: Quad6May08_08.jpg (2MB, 1600x1155px) Image search: [Google]
Quad6May08_08.jpg
2MB, 1600x1155px
pls be in london
>>
computational engineering

FIAP University in São Paulo, Brasil

My uni is so not effay that there's a guy in my group that wears a red fedora everyday, no matter what else he is wearing.

yep.

Red Fedora. Every. Day.

I'm also not very effay, but at least I try.
>>
>>8621028
you say bruh on an anime/fashion forum and you go to NYU and wish to be a poet.

that is a bucketload of bourgeoisie bullshit, faggot.
>>
>>8625086

Well, it is Brasil
>>
>>8623224
>8623224
WHAT THE FUCK. You get less 50% of your income in the EU? p-please tell me you're a phony
>>
>>8622912
Most are downtown. there are campuses in Scarborough and Mississauga too (if you can help it, don't)

I go to UofT as well, studying media and German literature
>>
Double major in Economics and Conflict Resolution, which I think are pretty /fa/ majors, so long as I don't look like a nerd for doing both.

Too bad my school is meh.
>>
cornell architecture
>>
>>8622496
then do that lol
go make that paper
diff ppl have diff passions
it doesnt have to b an artistic or acedemic pursuit
>>
>>8619889
>>8621189
enjoy dying for israel
>>
>>8625209
Nice, this is so post-fact so theres like a 1% chance anyone will see it, but is there overlap between which locations teach what? Like could I apply with my first year to get into St. George courses.
>>
>>8625085
>gower street poly
>>
>>8620276
>Science is not aesthetic
>>
Econ major, UCLA. Master of the social sciences, anal-decimator of those who masturbate over elementary particles and other gay shit.

>>8626872
>>8624361
buttholocaust
>>
>>8623571
Unless you go to a collegiate uni
>>
>>8624018
You clearly don't go to Oxford, otherwise you'd just say PPE, you don't major in it Amerifat
>>
>>8625085
Goldsmiths is the most /fa/ London uni
>>
A college degree can literally never be /fa/. The only thing that comes close is enrollin in a humanity that interests you at a top 50, worldwide uni, then not really giving a shit and dropping out 6 months later
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 120x118px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 120x118px
>>8622577
Ayy lmao
Political Science / International Relations Major
>>
File: abraj-al-bait-hotel.jpg (126KB, 800x1099px) Image search: [Google]
abraj-al-bait-hotel.jpg
126KB, 800x1099px
>>8621237
>>
>>8622160

Studying Philosophy living in Brussels, I guess something like your job (probably with lower icome tho) is possible because there's always possibilities for EU related jobs in Brussels and they are generally pretty interesting / fun.
>>
>>8625806
Who's this? I have a friend in Cornell arch. Dave R in second year

Penn state Archie here
>>
>>8626808
I don't understand the question. But I've had friends from UTM take courses downtown and vice versa.
>>
File: sad bart.jpg (7KB, 251x234px) Image search: [Google]
sad bart.jpg
7KB, 251x234px
>>8624119
That was all fine and well, but now that is is overly expensive, aiding people to incur 200k+ in debt so they can study something like that seems criminal. What's worse is that many of them are given the fallacious belief that a garbage liberal arts degree will land them a decent job, so long as it's from a supposedly elite university.
>>
>>8627457
>so long as it's from a supposedly elite university
You can study whatever the fuck you want if you're at a top Ivy League, Stanford or MIT. Nobody will give a shit, the school's name itself will be more than enough to get you where you want so long as it isn't something requiring very technical skills like engineering, quant jobs, etc.
>>
File: frog.png (334KB, 499x424px) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
334KB, 499x424px
>>8627467
>You can study whatever the fuck you want if you're at a top Ivy League, Stanford or MIT

I go to one and have seen quite a few find out the hard way that the prestigious name on your degree doesn't mean shit to employers . Many minorities/females who study racial/gender studies, music or film are SOL upon graduating. Even some of the really bright kids I've met with okay degrees (Government/Politics, International Relations, etc) are unable to find a decent job. It's sad to see them apply to equally poor post-bachelors programs so they can become subject to even more debt.
>>
>>8627494
Where do you study?
If it's not Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford or MIT (perhaps Columbia, Wharton but not UPenn), what I said still applies.

A lot of Harvard and Yale philosophy/history majors work on Wall Street. They don't give a shit about what you learned, because college teaches you jack shit about the real world.
>>
File: deal with it.jpg (71KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
deal with it.jpg
71KB, 500x505px
>>8627507
There are intelligent people who make it in the real world with crap degrees from those schools. I'm speaking to the many who matriculate with the aforementioned erroneous belief (that a degree from an amazing school will get them a great job subsequent to graduation). I guess it also has to do with their mindset (stemming from that view) which induces them to be satisfied with barely passing some classes and graduating with a low gpa.
Perhaps this phenomena only occurs at my uni, or among those I've met and hang out with, but I have feeling people attending other elite schools experience this often.
>>
>>8627580
If your GPA is low, especially in humanities, then of course you'll have trouble getting a job.
Also, the universities I talked about are extremely selective and the people who get in are mostly very ambitious and don't lack motivation at all. No lazy fucks are going to get into a top Ivy.

My father studied philosophy (I think) at Brown, which is the weakest Ivy. Yet he's at Blackstone now and is doing much better than most engineers and scientists who work for top tech firms. What matters is drive and will to succeed, the degree is irrelevant.
>>
File: 1332670475398.jpg (21KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1332670475398.jpg
21KB, 500x375px
>>8627620
>Also, the universities I talked about are extremely selective and the people who get in are mostly very ambitious and don't lack motivation at all. No lazy fucks are going to get into a top Ivy.

Yes, they're full of those overachieving starlets who were top 3 in the class in high school, but when it's several thousand them competing against each other, quite a few will be at the bottom (relative to their peers).

>What matters is drive and will to succeed, the degree is irrelevant.

So we're in agreement
>>
>>8627620
>>8627665
Just to clear things up, when I say the degree is irrelevant, it's because employers, when they see the name of the university you went to, know you're not a fuckup. And even if you managed to get into Harvard as a fuckup, which is highly unlikely, the interview process for top firms will make it even more unlikely for you to get in.

If you didn't go to a top uni, and instead went for a college most people could get into, employers know that you're more likely to be dumb/lazy than an Ivy grad. Therefore, they'll pay attention to your major since it'll be a good indicator of how hard working you are. If you did philosophy, psych or whatever, you won't get in unless you networked like a motherfucker. If you did math, physics, stats or engineering, it's another way of telling your potential employer that you're willing to work to succeed.
>>
File: 1375028949001.png (41KB, 235x236px) Image search: [Google]
1375028949001.png
41KB, 235x236px
>>8627672

http://www.gallup.com/poll/167546/business-leaders-say-knowledge-trumps-college-pedigree.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=Economy%20-%20Well-Being

Another fallacious (I argue) belief that unfortunately convinces kids to incur all that debt
>>
>>8619367
london college of fashion. Ill be applying soon
>>
I'd voting computer science/philosophy. You'd roll in pussy.
>>
>>8627672
are you an employer or are you just talking out of your arse
>>
>>8627736
I'd say it entirely depends on the industry. For a job in information security or code monkey stuff, you just need high school education and very good knowledge of the field itself. They don't give a fuck about the degree (most companies, that is) unless you want to do R&D, in which case a master's is mandatory, sometimes a PhD.
But in stuff such as finance or consulting, your actual knowledge of the job is irrelevant unless you get into trading. You just need a big name on your resume. Universities don't teach you anything useful (apart from the basics) when it comes to anything like econ, business and finance; therefore, all the required training will be done in a few weeks to a few months once you get the job (if you do).

However, the kids who get into college and major in Jewish Diaspora studies because "the subject doesn't matter" are absolutely fucked if they don't either:
>Attend a school whose name will be enough to get them anywhere, provided their grades are good enough to show a willingness to work hard

Or

>Possess remarkable social skills and know how to network well enough to get a job right out of college in a competitive industry.

The latter almost never happens from what I've seen. Most of my coworkers in MC were history, philosophy, or english majors from a top 20 university. Knowledge does trump college pedigree in some cases, but it shouldn't warrant going for an absolutely useless field of study at a no-name university.

>>8627766
I'm currently doing an MBA at Stern and I've worked in consulting for three years prior to that. I have enough knowledge of what employers want to talk about it although I'm not an employer myself.
>>
>>8627831
how much does knowing the right people matter where youre at? i know in some places contacts are everything
>>
>>8627888
I'm not in consulting anymore.

In management consulting (which isn't the only "type" of consulting there is, but the most lucrative), networking is very important, and you need very good people skills either way. However, you don't necessarily need contacts from the industry to break in, especially if you attend an elite ("target") university, have good grades and internships, and ace the interview process.

Management consulting is arguably harder to break into than bulge bracket investment banking; if you don't go to a top university, you're going to have a lot of trouble making yourself marketable unless your profile is especially interesting.

Personally, I got in because I want to a good school but also had a decent network provided by my family; it was pretty easy for me to get into one of the top 3 management consulting firms right out of college. My coworkers had the same circumstances, or one of the two: some had a family member working (or who used to work) as a partner in the firm, others were especially bright top school grads and among the most intelligent and brilliant people I've ever met.
If I recall correctly, most of the people I worked with came from the top Ivies (HYP), Columbia, Wharton, MIT. One went to Northwestern, another to Chicago, at least one (?) to LSE. There was an outlier from Indiana U. at Bloomington but he was the only guy to not have attended a top program for his undergrad.
Of course, if you went to a top MBA, you can disregard anything I said above and get into any firm you want in corporate finance, financial markets and consulting, provided you're not trying to become a quant for example.

If you have any questions about the job or anything, feel free to ask.
>>
>>8627935
>if you went to a top MBA
I meant to a top business school for your MBA, which by the way requires work experience.
>>
>>8627935
ah all right, thanks
>>
>>8627935
how much do you earn in consulting? for which company did you work
>>
>>8628005
I'd rather not say for which company I worked, although it's one of the big three.

Salaries are pretty much the same as in investment banking, but the bonuses are inferior.
It also depends on your position, of course. As a first year analyst, I was in the 90k range counting bonuses. I made more money during my third year. Some third year analysts earn around 200k all in.

Then you either get an MBA and get the actual title of "management consultant", or leave and do something else (still requires an MBA in most cases). After your MBA you'll earn anywhere between 150-300k as a MC, depending on your experience. When you move up (you either move up or get laid off), you become a junior partner and earn around 450k all in. As you gain experience, you'll become a senior partner, and your compensation will range between 600k and seven figures.

If you're in for the money, you're better off doing investment banking, then getting an MBA and getting into PE at a firm like Blackstone or KKR.
The benefits of MC are generally less tiresome hours (not always true), traveling (some hate it), prestige, and the phenomenal network and versatility you'll build over the years. The bonuses, however, are less attractive than in banking.
>>
>>8626959
wrong mate
not him but almost every uk uni offers ppe
>>
>>8621503
I appreciate the not-hate tho. I haven't actually met anyone from Berkley, but like any reasonable person I don't really give two shits about the rivalry.
What are you studying?
>>8622867
m8 I don't know how you think I could recognize Hender Schemes on campus, probably biking past you or something. May be a little tough.
>>
>>8627444
Sorry I'm not to familiar with the schools setup, basically I just wanted to know if it was possible to do all my courses for a Political Science at the St. George Campus.
>>
>>8619424
which CUNY
>>
>>8628605
Lingus
>>
>>8626959
I am American, yes.

I will be abroad first term, but the following I'll be on campus and I'd be happy to share a coffee with you at Zappi's/The Missing Bean and talk fashion.
>>
if i do computer science am i stuck with furry loving nerds for the rest of my life?
>>
>>8628753
God I hope not, If all goes well this Thursday I'm doing CS for 3 years at Southampton uni (not the shit one).

Although on the open day 9/10 of the visitors were guys and about 40% seemed to have severe autism. FML
>>
>>8623449
>browsing /fa/ in his free time

i bet you're single too!!
>>
Harvard master race reporting in.

Jk everybody here is an unfortunate cross between dadcore and fratcore.
>>
>>8619397
mcgill eng ;_;. desautels is quite /fa/ too
>>
>Not being a mathemagician
>Not making 500k an hour

Poorfags
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.