[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fashion Stylist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 4

File: 1403226678253.jpg (804KB, 1920x2880px) Image search: [Google]
1403226678253.jpg
804KB, 1920x2880px
Okay so I think I just got hit with (what I believe to be) a once in a lifetime opportunity to break my way into the entertainment industry.

I was approached by a young beautiful woman today who continually complimented me on my style (when I KNOW I look like shit today) She kept asking me if this was my only job, if I work weekends, if I'm going to school, etc. Now at the time I thought she was hinting at asking me when I'm not working so we could get together.
I'm 25, 6'5, thick head of hair, and she was clearly a 'trophy' wife in her mid 30's (We get those a lot here) probably dating a fat, rich, businessman who can't get it up.

Anyway to make a long story short, she asked me to come down to the set this weekend and talk to their current stylist about being a stylist.

I don't know if this is how it works or what's going on, but if it's legit I would be interested in perusing this career.

Are any of you stylists? Do you have any advice or knowledge on the subject at hand? How can I prepare myself to get the position without coming off like I know next to nothing?

Pic Related: He made it from browsing /fa/
>>
File: 1393642536977.jpg (59KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
1393642536977.jpg
59KB, 608x608px
Ask personal affiliate of Ian Connor, Luka Sabat, Tyler Grosso, and the A$AP Mob and most NYC Underground designers/Models anything
>>
>>8495842
>not understanding
>>
>>8495834
I already asked three questions in my OP
>>
sounds like you about to get scammed

even if it's legit, there's no way someone would give you an actual styling job right off the bat. i'd expect you'd just be transporting racks of low-tier clothes around
>>
>>8495854

this

don't give them any money and don't sign anything without a lawyer
>>
>>8495854
I'm not sure how it can be a scam if I haven't signed up to do anything. I'm still deciding weather to go or not. I'm less worried about being scammed and more worried she's trying to just fuck and not give me a job.

And she's not giving me the job off the bat, she wants me to meet with the hair stylist or something and discuss things with her.

I won't do anything for free.
>>
>>8495819
>Pic Related: He made it from browsing /fa/

He made it from looking good, /fa/ or no /fa/
>>
>>8496519
i mean, they're the ones who told him to go to an agency and he does credit /fa/

>>8495819
>>8495864
go ahead and try it but do what >>8495861
said
>>
>>8496529
whats his name again?
last time I searched about him /fa/ was not mentioned at all, he gave some story about how his gf broke up with him and he sent some modelling pics to get back at her (spoiler: when he became a model she came back)
>>
>>8496552
I need to read this
>>
I reccomend checking out a lot of fashion blogs that cater to the style of the client.
It sounds like you work in a shop for old business men, try to find other stores similar to yours. Then find stores at a higher price. Most people like to be dressed in things not easily bought by others.
>>
>>8496552
tyler mcferson

original thread(s)

https://warosu.org/fa/thread/S6437570
https://warosu.org/fa/thread/S7224312
https://warosu.org/fa/thread/S7224312
https://warosu.org/fa/thread/S7350451

him coming back
https://warosu.org/fa/thread/S8380024
>>
>>8496592
oops, third link is same as second when it should be https://warosu.org/fa/thread/S7057633
>>
>>8496566
How do I become a stylist, this actually sounds like a fun career.
>>
>>8496601
ditto
>>
>>8496552
His names Tyler Mcferson.
I'm not sure if the thread was archived.
>>
>>8496601
Sounds like you just have to get lucky
>>
>>8496605
the thread and his other ones are here >>8496592 >>8496595
but if you wanna find them some other way you'll have to dig through the search "model" until you find posts from a year ago
>>
>>8496592
He is mentioning his gf in these threads, and it was originally his intention to make her jealous

It also makes sense that he wouldn't mention 4chan on anywhere other than 4chan in helping him out
his official story seems to be he sent them in to try make his gf jealous
he cut us out the deal /fa/
>>
>>8496620
he mentions in the comeback thread that he mentioned /fa/ as one of his favorite fashion sites oh god
>>
>>8496627
>>8496620

Okay back on topic now
>>
>>8496601

Study hard, have a flawless image, attend fashion events to develop connections.
Then you can either find someone to do the photography part of your photoshoots and build a portfolio from that, or simply apply at agencies as an intern or something.

Alternative (long but guaranteed way) is graduating in Fashion Design, and having perfect grades in related subjects and just putting your work out there (or developing rep with your professors in hope they'll send you to big companies).
>>
>>8496637
Is it possible to jut get lucky like OP did?
>>
>>8496637
Story time, I had a gay black friend with some fierce style. The kind of guy who could be a model if only he was tall enough. We went on vacation to NYC, and on our final day were invited to a party out in SoHo in this dudes loft.
This guy promised us he'd buy our next ticket out (he wanted to fuck my friend bad I imagined)
he brings us to the party and pretty much shoes me out of the way while he grabs my friend and takes him to a separate room.

so the whole time I'm like, "great this guy is fucking my friend. I skipped my fucking flight for this." after like 2 hours, and a failed attempt at wooing some anorexic model I go into the room to see them both on the computer watching youtube videos.

Turns out the guy was a photographer for Macys and was looking for a stylist. He was showing him videos of shoots and asking what he would change. He ended up hiring my friend and now he's a stylist for Disney Channel.
>>
>>8496662
whoops wrong quote.
>>8496646
>>8496662
>>
>>8496646
Sincerely? I've been in the field for 5 years and with the exception of models, it's almost impossible to suddenly 'get lucky' in the fashion industry.

Nobody with a sane mind would hire someone off the street to do the most important part of a photoshoot. You can have the best photographer, set, model and beauty department in the world, and it will still be a shitty photoshoot if the stylist doesn't know what he's doing.

But you CAN get lucky enough to become like... assistant, intern or some position to help the big guys, though most of what you'll be doing is run around with clothes and take care of models.
>>
>>8496678
which is what I think OP is being offered, seeing as how she asked him to meet with the stylist.

is that a bum job though?
>>
>>8496662
Actual fashionfag again (>>8496637)

That is an extremely rare occurence, like I said. Mostly because nobody would be willing to risk a company's image with some dude who could do wonders on his first shoot, then murder their image on the second one.

Some photographers DO look for random stylists though (that's how I got my first job) but you're then basically tested to an extreme before they can have an opinion on your work (assuming you don't already have a homemade portfolio or similar).

Props to your friend. Some people just have "it" in them, all they gotta do is find someone crazy enough to give them a shot.
>>
>>8496728
What kind of things would I need in my portfolio
>>
>>8496684
That's like asking "would you work for Alexander McQueen as his personal coffee boy"?

Some people might go "meh, I deserve better than being the nanny to this megalomaniac faggot", but others would kill a man for this oportunity.
It's all a matter of how much you want it.

I'd just be a little wary of their final intentions if I was him, like... Will they allow me to grow inside the company if I prove I have "it", or are they just feeding my dreams and laughing behind my back because I'm now their permanent well-dressed slave?
>>
>>8496775
OP here, took the trip off because posting mobile.
It's a fairly new television program, I've looked it up and it's a legitimate company, they even just got syndicated. I just don't want to show up and leave my job just to be a lackey. I would however like to use this opportunity to break into the industry.
>>
>>8496741
As a stylist?

Friends.

Meet some beginning models with potential, befriend a photographer or two (with a solid base), find someone that can do magic with makeup and hair, and go to town in a pretty setting.
Do it for fun, but as if the Gods of Fashion personally requested it.
Then upload everything to a clean, professional site, and when you have enough material (4-5 photoshoots styled by you are a good start) try to apply as an intern at friendly companies.
>>
>>8496789
So what would an intern entail?
>>
they already have the clothing on hand and a stylists job is just to mix and match for photo shoots?
>>
>>8496789
But in OP's case, it's for TV and not model shoots. is that going to be completely different?
>>
>>8496786
What kind of program?

Also, tripping to avoid confusion. If anyone else has questions related to this (or to the fashion industry in general) feel free to ask, I'll be monitoring the thread for a while.
>>
>>8496820
who do you work for, what do you do?
>>
>>8496820
Who are you working with? Any cool collections?
>>
>>8496820
So do you pick random clothing you like and then give it to the models? Who pays for it?
>>
>>8496820
do you pay out of pocket for the clothing you select?
>>
>>8496820
my brother is 16 years old, 6"0(still growing) and has a good body(it could be like an SLP model's body if he loses weight, or he could just have a good ottermode body if he goes to the gym), but he has an average face, can we still try to make him become a model? not a runway model, but maybe one of the average/above average models you can see on magazines/online shops?
>>
>>8496790
Depends on the company, but it's mostly assistant work. As you develop your skills, they'll usually let you do small but more important tasks like helping pick pieces for outfits, asking for your opinion on stuff, etc.
Be prepared to do some meaningless work too, like setting up appointments and just standing there and watching people work. Patience and attention to detail are two things you MUST have.

>>8496802
Again, depends on the company. If it's for a brand, the stylist is the person who will pick the clothes that best translate that collection, so that the photoshoot makes you go "ooh, I want to see more of this".
If it's for TV, it's mostly complimenting a character's personality through their clothes, be it fictional or real.

>>8496805
See above. And it depends on the kind of program (news, fiction, reality tv, etc).
>>
>>8496869
If he's not attractive, no. Editorial models aren't exempt from the rules governing the rest of the industry.
>>
>>8496891
like I said above, he's not ugly, just average(a couple of friends of mine said he's cool and/or attractive too, but we both know he's not an 11/10, but maybe a 7/10 for sure)
I asked because I often sees magazines or shops where the head of the model is cut out off the pic, thus focusing only on the body
>>
>>8496918
Most of it is editing, but you can only make something look so good. The more unique looking he is the better. Get him to chew a lot of fucking gum and build up his jaw muscles.
>>
>>8496828
>>8496829
Not giving any names, but I'm sorta multitasking some projects.
>waiting on some materials, was asked to personally design some clothes for a celebrity (singer/performer)
>being the middle man in a possible partnership between an international fashion event and a fashion school/institute
>prepping for some photoshoots in a new studio

>>8496831
>>8496850
Most clothes are either lended or gifted to us, since it's a win/win for both parties.
We mostly only buy stuff that's gonna get altered or destroyed in the shoot.

>>8496869
As long as he has striking features (can be his expression or just looks) there's always a chance. Many below average models are picked for the single fact they have a great bitch-face.
BUT, as a thought, many professionals refuse to work with underage models because we unfortunately have some terrible stories to tell.
>>
>>8496931
Do you have any say in the models you work with?
>>
>>8496820
I have a droopy left eyelid and it really stands out in photos. Hopefully I can get it sorted, but is this a huge deal breaker?

I really want to get into modelling. I'm 5'11" at the moment, not ugly, I've been told I have a nice body quite often (skinny, not built).
I'm going to cop some stuff from Clinique to make my skin better, but I'm curious.
>>
>>8496945
>I'm 5'11" at the moment
How much taller do you think you're going to get? How old are you?
>>
>>8496921
That's terrible advice.

Tell him to ask an agency if they think he has potential. Subjective opinions from uninformed 3rd parties arent going to help much.
>>
>>8496951
I'm early 18, I'm fairly certain I'll get taller.
I'm taller than my mother but my father is quite tall, only thing is I'm labelled "unhealthy" on my BMI and such, I find it incredibly difficult to gain weight.
>>
>>8496957
You are not growing anymore, I am pretty sure you're under 18.
>>
>>8496958
The criteria for models is 5'11" to 6'2" or 6'4" if I'm not mistaken.
>>
look up reviews on beautypedia and elsewhere before you commit to anything
>>
>>8496938
Mostly, yes.
I work with a team, so we usually sit down and decide together who we're gonna use.
The only kind of model I refuse to work with are the ones who bitch about changing their hair or nails.

>>8496945
People hire models based on the whole package, not a single feature. Unless it really throws off your facial structure or something, it shouldn't be a problem. Post pics?
Worst case scenario, you can get it surgically corrected, it's an easy procedure.
>>
>>8496989
So you only work with females then?
Any shot you would take me on for a project?
I'm 6'4, slim.
>>
OP post a fit

if you KNOW you looked like shit but someone still complimented you endlessly, i'd love to see

if you aren't full of shit and exaggerating, that is
>>
>>8497018
This isn't that sort of thread though.
>>
>>8497018
Sometimes personalities and faces/bodies have a lot to do with it. I've seen guys who dress like shit who are still hot.
>>
>>8496957
post a pic of your face or else all i have to say to you is

too many god damn faggots on this forum who think being a model is their dream job and actually believe they have a shot despite being average height, just above average looking, and having abs. you called yourself "not ugly," the fuck does that even mean? you're skinny, not ugly, and 5'11"

ON WHAT PLANET DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE A SHOT AT BEING A MODEL

fucking pathetic
>>
>>8497034
What exactly are you doing with your life mate?
Seems like you figured out you can't be a model the hard way.
>>
>>8497022
>>8497032
i don't care if it isn't that kind of thread. him posting a fit won't hurt
>>8497034
this
also you forgot his droopy eyelid haha. sounds like some desperate ugly cunt
>>
>>8496993
I work with both, but mostly females.
And only with models that have previous experience or people I personally know (not being mean, but I've met my share of crazy people in this field).
I suggest you look for an agency and try see if it works out.
>>
File: d5NQTtZ.jpg (763KB, 2188x3888px) Image search: [Google]
d5NQTtZ.jpg
763KB, 2188x3888px
>>8497034
Also you do realize that even fucking trunks is a model, right?
There's another model called Fallow I think and he's basic as shit.
>>
>>8497038
i never wanted to be a model man, i'm going to med school in the fall so i couldnt care less. honestly all the delusion is just annoying as hell. not ugly, droopy eyelid, average height, skinny...jesus christ if that's all it takes to be a model then i could be a fucking supermodel
>>
>>8497045
this is exactly my point. if someone as fisgusting as trunks can model why are you all obsessed with being models? is it so you can just say "im a model" when people ask what you do? if you're not attractive it won't fucking matter. you think anyone cares when trunks says "heh yeh i model"? no, because he's still an ugly cunt
>>
>>8497047
so funny, you are like those "friends" i used to have that justify there schooling with the fact they are still attending?
get a degree first fuckwit
>>
>>8497062
>there schooling

i have a degree dumbass. which is why in the FALL i'm going to be STARTING at a new school. jesus
>>
>>8495819
Careful OP - sounds fishy tbh.
>>8497062
Somebody's buttmad because they didn't go past high school. I couldn't even comprehend that first sentence.
>>
>>8497044
> previous experience
I did some really shitty freelance work when I lived in NY
>I personally know (not being mean, but I've met my share of crazy people in this field).
I totally understand that.
>I suggest you look for an agency and try see if it works out.
The agencies around here are all that, "Pay for our special photographers," crap.

I may not know much but I know that's a scam.
>>
>>8497067
>anonymous
>justifying his life on 4chan
>>
>>8497099
>damage control because he realizes how retarded he sounds
>>
>>8497104
lol nigga you are in the medical field, suicide rate is high, enjoy
>>
>>8497146
yeah you were right you do look like shit
>>
>>8497146
Clothing is not the best but your hair looks good
>>
>>8497146
I think you look good
>>
>>8497146
I can see why she hit on you dude, tall and handsome.
>>
>>8497155
he said 6'5" in the OP and clearly the shirt is rolled up atleast once. or may be not because trhe shoulders fit horribly so he's probably wearing the wrong size.

also,
>looks good m8
really? thaat fit is fucking awful. samefag?
>>
>>8497165
I check samefags by the time, can't possibly be samefag yet.
>>
>>8497165
OP here, yeah man the fit is bad, I already said earlier I was surprised I got any attention like this. On my long shifts I just dress like a scumbag so I can sit in the back and browse 4chan.

>>8497171
So this isn't real life?
Argentinian, Greek, and German. Not Mexican though
>>
>>8497146
>>8497146
So do you roll out of bed to get your hair like that or do you use product? How can I do that?
>>
>>8497171
>>8497165
>>8497157
lmao @ the haters OP these manlets try to get you down, don't let 'em
>>
>>8497180
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's what is great about this board, we're a melting pot of friendship. I don't mind if they don't like my look
>>
>>8497183
Dude, don't be mature, this is /fa/ we're all caddy faggots.
>>
>>8497098
First of all, look for real agencies, I doubt there isn't at least one where you are.
Alternatively, befriend a photographer, do some pics for fun, and send them in. You can even try agencies outside your area, if you have good features, distance won't matter.
Attend fashion events if you can, dress well and try to get to know people. Don't push the fact you want to be a model, let it happen.

>>8497146
Congrats, she saw your aura. That's the sort of fit I wear when I'm not giving a single fuck. If she was amazed by that (and assuming your real fits are better) you're gonna slay it.
>>
>>8497146
feet together thighs apart that's the way to my heart
>>
>>8497190
>That's the sort of fit I wear when I'm not giving a single fuck.
Haha that's exactly what I was saying.
I appreciate the kind words Stylefag
>>
>>8497196
You mean we don't all have to dress in Rick Owens every day of our life?
This actually makes me mad, I try to get noticed every fucking day, OP dresses like shit and gets hit on.
>>
>>8497146
your hair looks like it would be 6 inches high irl, which is weird...
>>
>>8497146
pls
be
gay
>>
File: hair.jpg (73KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
hair.jpg
73KB, 640x640px
>>8497206
I think it's just the angle.

>>8497207
No, sorry :/
>>
>>8497224
FUCK! You're hot
>>
>>8497224
Okay OP, you look good there, but seriously that other pic man. idk
>>
>>8497224
hair doesnt look as big
>>
>>8497203
Probably because you're short/skinny/have no charisma/autistic/creep hot girls out with your shitty clothes
>>
>>8497238
It's not my fault I wasn't borrn with tall German Argentinan parents like op
>>
>>8497234
Either way, big or slicked back as a hair stylist I can say it's about symetry. OP probably goes to an expensive salon and has the stylist just do whatever will look good. You want your hair to be half the length of your face for perfect symetry, and from what I can tell that's what is going on in the first picture.
>>
>>8497224
moar :3
>>
>>8497238
>>8497252

Wearing ALL BRAND ERRYDAY is the only sure way to look tryhard.

You have to pick a personal style that suits everything about you and your everyday life, instead trying to fit into a style just because you think it's cool.
Mine is Heroin Chic, it's convenient and comfy while still making me look like I'm ready to go out and party. I'm pale, really thin and average height (think small junkie faggot) and it works well. If I suddenly decided to dress dadcore, it would look ridiculous on me, like a costume.
>>
>>8497356
Do you go to parties a lot?
>>
>>8497365
Have been away from them for a couple months (social life got killed by projects) but yeah.
Before enrolling in fashion design I used to work with nightclub management and as a host (read: I was one of those silly "night personalities")
>>
>>8497392
Can I be your Plus one?
>>
>>8497403
Would totally say yes, but I'm sure we're not even in the same country.
>mfw I've never met another person from /fa/ but I would love to
>>
>>8497436
OP here, what country are you from? I fly for free, I would totally party with someone from /fa/
>>
>>8497436
>>8497439
I don't fly free but if you're in the US I'm down!
>>
>>8497439
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Before anyone HUEs, I'm swiss.
>inb4 why do you live in a third world country
Because party erryday, gorgeous scenery and budding fashion industry.
>>
>>8497478
La Festival my dude. I'm down to chill, what's your throwaway?
>>
>>8497486
Not entirely sure I get what you mean, english is my third language bro
>>
>>8497539
Throwaway email, for communicating
>>
>>8497551
[email protected]
>>
Pretty sure 90% of stylists are friends of somebody who is so successful they can pay one of their plebs with good taste to hunt around for insp & clothes all day.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.