[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pens, stationary and small leather goods thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20170718_005839.jpg (605KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_005839.jpg
605KB, 1920x2560px
I picked up this (fountain) pen holder/sleeve in a thriftstore for €0,50. It holds 2 thin pens like the lamy logos pictured or one fat fountain pen. The black leather feels high end, does anyone recognize the logo? It looks like an 'A' but could also be a sideways 'B'.

Also pen and stationary general. What is the goat filofax insert? Which pencil case should one carry ones pencils in?
>>
are slide rulers /fa/? when the terrorists start dropping emp bombs I will still be able to do complex calculations.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (276KB, 1592x900px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
276KB, 1592x900px
>>12613996
>>
>>12612653
>>
>>12612653
Brand is Aigner. I had a steel Lamy Logo and found the body unscrewed on its own all the time. Do you have that problem?
>>
>>12614007
>>
>>12614008
thnx

no, i am quite pleased with them. but am seeking to get into fatter fountain pens. and more high end. softer nibs and such. i bought a 2nd hand sheaffer for a few shekels online

any recommendations for upping the fountain game by other means than the obvious lamy safari?
>>
>>12614016
The only other fountain pen I have had was a TWSBI Eco. Great pen but I don't really like the look of it anymore.
You might be able to find a good deal on a vintage pen.
>>
what are the best communities and sites to learn more about fountain pens? i've been looking into this stuff and all collectors are either nerds or ageing gen xers and boomers.

pelehale's are really nice and strangely relaxing, like good shoepolishing vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0J-gjT0aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnedjtrgsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN5Db0ciT8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqEFOYGTDJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0J-gjT0aI
>>
pelahale is a bit of a elitist doctor who buys real expensive shit

sbrebrown has big hands and mentions that in every video

most fountain pen afficionados are dumb cunts with horrid handwriting, i can't take the hobby seriously anymore

just twats spending $$$ on unimaginable amounts of ink and pens

vintage pens are generally shit off ebay, you dont know how to identify the ones which havent been fucked after 50 years, buy from one of the more noted pen repairmen and you wont have that problem

buy second hand always. you save 30-40% on well maintained pens that last over 100 years sometimes (i have a safety pen from the 1910s which works.)

t. bgst shtpstr on /r/fountainpens
>>
>>12614071
thnx. what are your favourite go-to pens? what are great entry level pens beyond the 30 euro mark? what pens should one avoid at all cost? any pictures of your collection? at what point does one stop being a hobbyist and become a pen hoarder?
>>
>>12614071
elitist is good in a way. they are less susceptible to PR departments getting to shill products for them. this is a disease in every hobbyist community.

do all pen aficionados wear dorky shirts with breast pockets with at least 1 or 2 pens in 'em?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkfgJtuS70
>>
>>12614085
I'm a rich cunt with a Nakaya and a few LE Montblancs. Nakaya is by far the best pen i own because it was customised. Buying a pen you like to hold and use and sending it to a nibmeister for customisation, tuning etc. is the best way to get your 'perfect pen'.

Italian pens tend to look gr8 but suck balls at QC, fucking Italians dare charge $400USD+ but have the shittiest QC.Japanese pens are probably the best value for money at the $100-200 mark.

Flex nibs and stubs are also something I personally do not recommend. You are not a calligrapher and your handwriting probably sucks. Whilst it might make your writing look different, it is not technically any better. Don't be a dumb cunt. Sick flex!1one1! nibs are the worst as they don't respond/flex enough to actually do calligraphy and are more of a novelty.

Entry level pens:
Twsbi, provide a piston filling system, looks like a vape but has decent nibs. Great choice honestly.

Wing Sung 698 - a China knockoff of the Twsbi, but has the same offerings for a really good price. The one I've tried had a really good nib so honestly it's cheap, with a piston.

Lamy safari, it's a very sturdy workhorse and the charcoal safari with a good nib is something not out of place in a professional environment.

Pilot Metropolitan, easy to source, good performer and the nibs can swap with other entry level pilot offerings.

I recommend not buying many pens. The problem with entry level is no one wants them after you buy them, don't accumulate a hoard of junk pens because they were cheap.

Honestly I think most hobbyists are hoarders, it's a hobby based around accumulation and trying new inks and look at this new 'exotic' Japanese paper.

If you like fountain pens, get a nice Pelikan, Lamy 2000, Pilot Vanishing point around $100-200 and call it a day.

/r/fountainpens is my go to, FPN is full of really old people and facebook groups are weird.
>>
I got a cheap Parker fountain pen for my first year of college and I liked how smooth it was, but people thought it was weird that I was writing with something like that. Then I found the Pilot Vanishing Point, which doesn't look like a hand fedora, and was pretty happy with it, but I lent it to a friend and he broke the nib. Now I ordered a replacement unit.

>>12614101
Do you write with that Nakaya or Montblanc all the time? How do you deal with people wanting to give them a try? I don't want to sound like a cunt next time a friend wants to write with my fountain pens but on the other hand I don't want to order another replacement nib.
>>
>>12614109
nah i only bring out the VP and safari out, but i imagine people would be hesitant to ask for a shiny nakaya or montblanc.

bring a ballpoint, lend that. you already know what happens when you lend your pens to people who dont know how to use them. some pens have a ballpoint counterpart to the fountain pen, so that might be up your alley.
>>
>>12614101
what is best bang-for-the-buck paper? for notes, making organizer inserts and doodles/sketches? looking for a everyday 'workhorse' paper that is not cheap inkjet paper tier but not so expensive you would feel 'guilty' using it.
>>
File: ice_top_stapled_feature.jpg (285KB, 783x675px) Image search: [Google]
ice_top_stapled_feature.jpg
285KB, 783x675px
last year I switched over from multiple binders for multiple classes, consolidated all classes into one divided binder, and began using individual notebooks for each class.

I also made the switch from side bound to top bound notebooks (more compact and easier because I'm a lefty) which I'm pretty happy about. best of all I found out about rhodia Ice pads which I've been using, feel great to write on and look dope as fuck.
>>
File: 130094_1.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
130094_1.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
how do you /fa/ggots store notebooks and notes? i am quite enamoured with old style swedish ring binders, the ones with the cloth covered backs.
>>
>>12614120
if you have access to asia, japanese brands like campus, maruman, kokuyo etc. do looseleaf for like $5/pack which is fountain pen friendly.

if not stick to rhodia or whatever you can find
>>
opinions on philippe starck for samsonite document folder?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.