[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/DIY/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 84

File: DIYG.jpg (655KB, 1912x1496px) Image search: [Google]
DIYG.jpg
655KB, 1912x1496px
Do it yourself/ re-purposing general

We hit 300 and kept the thread alive for a month!

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
http://pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)
Japanese magazines, just in case you need them
http://pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

last thread >>12463753
>>
>>12537541
best effay youtube alterations
>>
File: KIMG0168.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0168.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>12537541
My cat is effay as fuck, chewing on my tailoring measure tape
>>
>>12537541
just got 3 yards of maroon corduroy fabric. I didn't realize how much 3 yards was.
>>
>>12537888
I got 4 yards of black linen i have no clue what to do
>>
File: 20170611_211907.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_211907.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Drip bleached my shirt that I accidentally spulled bleach on
>>
>>12537894
make pants anon!
>>
>>12537888
yardage is dependent on fabric width
3 yards of a selvage might not give you enough to make 1 pair of pants
4 yards of linen could probably make 1 longsleeve button down and 1 shortsleeve button down
or you could panel it into a slub cotton jersey t shirt in areas that dont need to stretch
>>
File: Snapchat-642300459.jpg (94KB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-642300459.jpg
94KB, 406x720px
>>12537541
I'm going to be making some good good stuff with this.
>>
>>12537397
Why didn't it work out?
>>
>>12538336
things are difficult when working in a group, namely egos
whether it was issues about pulling your own weight, certain people wanting the documents to be under their names, issues when certain designs were cut, people missing deadlines

expected from a start up, i had a similar experience when interning at a start up

but now i've just been working on my own project, essentially a for-profit portfolio that i hope to one day grow into a platform for creators just starting out-- something i wish i had access to towards the end of fashion school
>>
op of all the other /diy/ threads here
great job op, I really like the image you put up
I'm proud of this little "community'
>>12537661
cute kot
>>
>>12538382
Out of curiosity, how much did you get done?

>>12538629
Thanks old OP, pretty much just copy pasted the old text and changed the flavor text though. The image is to build community spirit.
>>
is there a /diy/ discord? if not someone should open one desu
>>
>>12538951
congrats brosif that someone is now you
>>
>>12538951
Please, no discord. These threads are already very slow. Discussion should be kept here.
>>
>>12538951
fuck off
>>
File: IMG_1497630259026.jpg (82KB, 720x652px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1497630259026.jpg
82KB, 720x652px
I had some old Onitsuka Lawnships that were getting old & dirty. So I decided to paint em. I was going to paint a tiger in the red area, but I'm trash at painting and they would've came out looking like shit. The other one is currently being painted.
>>
>>12538382
What was the end goal of the project? What are you working on now?
>>
>>12538802
i'd like to say 50%, but realistically we were probably at 33% per the level i hoped we'd be at

>>12539166
we wanted to bring back an emphasis on doing things the right way
as in, having a team that's all classically trained in this industry, given that we're from LA and that 90% of "designers" who claim LA are 1) not from here and 2) have no fashion background

fashion means so much to us, and we wanted what it used to mean to return, because the current state of fashion is a shit show

right now i'm just slowly building a small line, inspired by my childhood growing up as a skateboarder in the valley
it's not so much about my experiences, but the feeling of street skating in the late 90s early 2000s
but i've also got an obsession with runway fashion of the same timeline (margiela, yohji, lang, kawakubo, etc)
my t shirts are made of merino wool, i just sewed up a button down sample last weekend made of silk charmeuese

i'm just trying to bring finer fabrics down to a more (relatively) reasonable price, selling direct to consumers only

the end goal of this is to create 2 lines, 1 where i give a platform to fashion students/creatives trying to break in, as a for profit portfolio for them, and another line where i'm able to strengthen my skills giving direction to others while staying cohesive
>>
>>12539200
Well fuck that sounds amazing, especially your own stuff. I'm sure this general would help in any way possible if you needed anything
>>
File: IMG_6593.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6593.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>12537541
Nice, my jumper made it into the image. Shame I haven't had much time to work on it this week. Going to start neckline shaping this evening for the front piece though so that's alright.
>>
>>12538993
it wouldnt replace the threads, but promote interaction and make it easier to share information with them being more seperated in topics

>>12538996
it was an idea dude chill
>>
File: IMG_20170616_194807.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_194807.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
made a thing based on a painting i did, not sure if i wanna add more on the front/sleeves.
apologise for the shit lighting
>>
>>12538951
"old op" here again
we already had this discussion, it's not a good idea right now
>>
>>12539200
intern, so I'm the guy with the corduroy, I have a 9' x 5' piece, they said it was 3 yards, do you think I'll have enough for a bomber jacket, assuming I use a different fabric as a liner?
>>
>>12539525
ok so your fabric is 60" wide, but i'm assuming the selvages are 1" each, so you have 58" cuttable
when you use corduroy you have to make sure you cut the fabric across the nap in the same direction, or else your garment ends up looking as if its made of different shades
this might be an issue with your yardage
what size are you going to make?

for reference
a medium mens chest is about 40"
it's a bomber, so you have 2 fronts, 1 back piece, 2 sleeves
1 rib neckline or 2 collars

1 front piece = 11" (Seam allowance included), and the center front to hem length is probably about 26 1/4", 24 1/4" with a 2" rib hem
1 back piece = 21", and the center back to hem length is probably 27 7/8", 25 7/8" with a 2" rib hem
1 sleeve = most likely 17 1/2" wide, and 27" long, 25" if you have a 2" rib cuff

assuming you cut your fabric correctly, and lay out
patterns efficiently

you'll use somewhere between 51" (1.4 yards) and 55" (1.5 yards roughly)

these are rough estimates off generalized numbers, but i'm sure you'll be fine

a better estimate would be to measure
front width= across chest(flat part at bottom of armhole) for each piece
front length= high point shoulder to hem
back width = across chest for each piece
back length = high point shoulder to hem
sleeve width = cap line (flat part of sleeve cap curve, widest part of pattern)
sleeve length = measurement down the center of the sleeve

you take these numbers
draw a graph in inches with the y axis as length of the fabric, and the x axis as the width, and plug in squares as symbols of the pieces with their corresponding measures

this helps you know before purchasing fabric how much you need, i usually buy a 1/4 to 1/2 yd more
>>
>>12539483
it looks shit m8
>>
>>12539483
love it!
what did you use to get the watercolor effect? When i get watercolor on my clothes I can usually wash it out pretty easily, so I'm guessing you didn't use that
also can we see the original painting?
>>
>>12539691
Thanks! The trick is that its painted dye and not watercolours, holds better. ill take a picture of the painting when im back home if i remember
>>
>>12539594
Thanks man, I bought what I thought to be quite a lot because I didn't know how much is need and I thought I might make some mistakes along the way. I also wanted to make cargo pockets for the chest too
>>
>>12539702
>The trick is that its painted dye
how the hell do you paint with dye?
>>
>>12539889
mix it into a liquid then use a paintbrush?
>>
>>12539483
can i get an id on your canvas?
looks nice : )
>>
File: DSC03547.jpg (679KB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03547.jpg
679KB, 1728x2304px
so I got this shirt from a friend, it had a lot of awful ribbing around the waist, wrists and neck, which contrasted bad with how big it looks on me.
so I cut off the ribbing around the wrists and waists, raised the waist a bit, but i'm wondering what to do with the neck. I tried to tear it a bit, but I'm not satisfied with how the ribbing looks now. I'm thinking of cutting it off too, but seeing how it looks now I think there will be a hole around the neck/chest that I can't imagine will look good. And I don't know how to fix that if it happens.

any ideas
1/2
>>
File: DSC03546.jpg (557KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03546.jpg
557KB, 2304x1728px
>>12540778
around neck 2/2
>>
You anons have inspired me to get myself into this hobby, particularly the Marlboro sweater that one Anon made. I have been watching YouTube videos on stitch types and materials but do any of you have advise on what I should start with? Should I practice by hand first or immediately take the plunge with a cheap sewing machine.
>>
>>12540865
Are there any sewing classes offered where you live?
>>
>>12540875
Not that I know of but I'll look into it.

I have plenty of experiences sewing patches and repairing rips by hand, I have just never tried anything large scale before.
>>
>>12540865
Take a sewing class if you can
Buying used sewing machine isn't too bad, they are cheap and worst case scenario is that you don't like sewing and you can sell machine with few bucks loss
>>
>>12540865
I'm the anon that made the Marlboro sweater from the last thread, to be honest I learned the idiot way and just played around with my machine until I got the basics down, taught myself how to set up thread tension, how to not be an idiot when winding a bobbin, and other skills one should really be learning from a YouTube tutorial. Don't be like me. However, I did make some shortcuts along the way? Too lazy to use pins? Staple that shit. Want a perfectly straight seam? Binder clip two yardsticks together so they create a clamp around the seam and a makeshift seam guide.
>>
>>12539123
looks cool
I understand that you don't want to ruin it with a shitty tiger, but it'll look so dope if you can do it right
>>
>>12540865
Previous thread had some talk about it.
>>12472699
>>
File: IMG_0570.jpg (65KB, 555x741px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0570.jpg
65KB, 555x741px
i absolutely love the way the Acronym X Nemen jackets look
but i am way, way too poor to afford one

do you think i could replicate the fade design by dying and bleaching a plain white jacket?

i was thinking that if i dyed 2/3 of the jacket green (for example) and then bleached the upper part of the green section to fade it, maybe i could get a nice green-to-white gradient?

whaddya think?
>>
>>12540778
It looks great except for the collar, I'd say your best bet is to cut it off
>>
>>12542073
why not just start with a green jacket and bleach it?

anyways, I finished the outer shell of the corduroy jacket. I'll do the pockets once I get the hardware for them. Still need to do the lining and the batting, but I'm satisfied with the little bit of progress I made today.
>>
>>12542105
well because i only want to try this on ultracheap hoodies at first
and its a lot easier to find cheapo white hoodies than it is green ones

but i guess you have a point
>>
>>12542113
I bleached a green flannel and it came out pretty well
>>
>>12537921
Looks fucking gorgeous you lucky bastard.
>>
>>12540546
the jacket was just one i picked up from a thrift shop, think the brand was lefty or leftie, something like that, unfortunately i cut the tag off of it quite soon after getting it so cant remember too well
>>
File: hat.jpg (78KB, 700x991px) Image search: [Google]
hat.jpg
78KB, 700x991px
Was wondering if I could get some help. Does anyone know the process/what kind of machine or tool I would need to do this (but preferably on looser fabric, like on a shirt or jacket)?
>>
>>12542951
http://www.joann.com/nickel-jean-rivets-and-tools-5-16in/12139937.html#q=rivet%2Btool&start=1
this and a hammer
>>
>>12542073
get a plain white jacket and dip dye it, itll look faded anyway. DO NOT BLEACH IT.

try and get a 100% fibre content jacket, like pure cotton or pure poly, no mixes.

if its a natural fibre use rit dye. if its synthetic use rit dyemore. And theres a colour mixing table on the RIT website.
>>
>>12542964
oh and start with the lighter colour first mate. :)
>>
Hey intern anon, I'm planning on making a pair of boro jeans and also a dual coloured (possibly assymetrical denim jacket, I have no access to a sewing machine or any resources whatsoever so I'll have to hand sew everything. I wanted to ask, what's the best way you would suggest to go about this?

I don't study fashion or anything sadly and I have no way to access any machines or something to make the process easier. So I was planning to hand sew these products by learning techniques and how to sew etc. I thought for the jeans I could start with my pair of 511s I rarely wear and build upon that somehow.
>>
>>12542974
jeans and denim jackets with machines are tough, especially with underpowered machines, let alone the wrong needle

i'm reading your post as you making these from scratch
are you just trying to panel it?
>>
File: 1495960988093.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1495960988093.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>12543016
I'm still in the inspo gathering stage for the jeans but I was thinking if it would be smart to cut parts out, I'm not sure how panelling would turn out, wouldn't it be too thick? Since in unsure how I could start from scratch with needle and hand lol.

with the jacket I saw a thread where an anon had two jackets and stitched halves together or something. I was thinking to do that but maybe go one size up for one of them for the assymetrical look .

pic related for the jacket
>>
>>12543045
pic related is what comes to mind when i hear boro jeans
it can be done by either sewing boro on top of denim, or by cutting pieces of multiple fabrics with the same pattern and creating panels within the shape
boro can be gathered in different weights, so thickness could vary

i do not recommend getting a larger size
you'll end up with an ill fitting jacket since the chest widths, shoulder lengths, and armholes will not match
it'd be best that you get the same size, but adjust one half to be shorter
as an example, in that picture, you'd move the khaki waist and up, while doing your best to maintain the original silhouette

denim might be the worst material to work with by hand
save some money, buy a machine second hand
>>
>>12542953

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
>>
>>12543064
hmm, Maybe my best best would be to. I don't know how much it'll cost though but damn money is the biggest issue for everything so this'll be quite a predicament but thanks man I'll look into it.

I'll probably have to sew on top then as a starter.

Oh damn, thanks for the heads up. ill go for same size ones then, I'll just size up on both size I heard it gets a bit smaller size they'll be halved and restitched, looking forward to try this. Just gotta decide on colours and possibly dyes.

I've really put myself in a hard situation by choosing to work with denim lol. Thanks for the tips though. I'll consider them, May have to consider working in other pieces of clothing if things get too hard.
>>
I want to add that boro is more than a set of techniques (fe: sashiko, check pastebin) or patterning your fabrics a certain way. It's a philosophy (big word) about the longetivity of your clothes. Previous thread has a link to an article about boro, so check that out. While you're still in the inspo fase, you could ask yourself some questions.
Who's going to wear the jacket and the jeans. You? For a couple of years or your whole life? Your grandchildren? Their grandchildren?
What other experiences or interests can I include? Is there room for change?
>>
>>12543167
I'm gonna wear it most likely but I'd love to start making clothes for me or others and kinds get it out there. Just for creativity and for the sake of having fun trying new things.

I've asked around on the board for inspo/articles but i never got linked any boro/patchwork based inspo or articles. I'll give the last thread a check though.

I was thinking of doing sashiko patterning on the finished product or so. Currently I just want to incorporate inspiration from different brands and designers like junya, kapital, visvim, blue blue japan etc. (still searching) and see where I can go from there.

it's a long way to go but I hope it can be something I can hold onto for a long long time
>>
File: cable_braid.jpg (588KB, 1312x1552px) Image search: [Google]
cable_braid.jpg
588KB, 1312x1552px
>>12539306
Is your ribbing fisherman's rib? It looks really thick
>>
>>12543244
Just standard 1x1, but using chunky yarn on smaller needles so it looks denser.
I think the angle of that photo kind of exaggerated it a little though. It is chunky, but proportionately so.
>>
>>12543117
Man i love those pants.
>>
File: IMG_0283.jpg (227KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0283.jpg
227KB, 1920x1152px
I can't find this jacket where can I find a blank one to try and replicate pic
>>
Do theaters have patterns of costumes?
>>
I have low af1s that I want to do something with but I'm not sure what. They are the white ones and I'm getting bored so I came here to ask if anyone has suggestions. Painting, embroidery etc
>>
File: Boro jeans DIY.png (2MB, 1154x790px) Image search: [Google]
Boro jeans DIY.png
2MB, 1154x790px
Doing some boro patches on some F21 jeans, hoping to make the lower leg looser and cuff the bottom so the fit is similar to the lady on the right. I'm not sure if I want to go with an ombre dark to light blue patches with the jeans or just random color placement.
>>
File: IMG_2060.jpg (147KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2060.jpg
147KB, 1000x1000px
>>12537541
How do I make a shirt look faded, like pic related? Also, does it only work on lighter colors because the shirt I want to do it to is a really light green?
>>
>>12545068
Depends on if you're confident enough to do it with bleach or prefer to do it with the sun. You could also look into salt washing too. theidleman.com/manual/advice/how-to-fade-clothing/
>>
>>12545079
Which one is most likely to give it sort of a spotty look? It's already a pretty light color so I don't want to make it lighter.
>>
>>12539123
These would be sick to paint all over with the intention of it cracking. I'd probably choose an eggshell if those shoes are true white, so the focus was on the cracks themselves not the contrasting colors
>>
>>12540778
Honestly this fit makes the color look perfectly fine if you want to look like a windswept gay Frenchman on a beach. I don't really know what else you could do if you didn't want that look though haha
>>
File: IMG_0562.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0562.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
I have an embroidery machine. Here's some of my last few things
>>
File: IMG_0470.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0470.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
>>12545333
I make patches mostly
>>
File: IMG_0454.jpg (284KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0454.jpg
284KB, 960x960px
>>12545336
Some stuff like this too
>>
File: IMG_0450.jpg (2MB, 3159x2291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0450.jpg
2MB, 3159x2291px
>>12545338
>>
File: IMG_0433.jpg (2MB, 3019x3019px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0433.jpg
2MB, 3019x3019px
>>12545339
>>
File: 1497358189972.jpg (262KB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1497358189972.jpg
262KB, 1100x1650px
Where would I find a pattern for a jacket like this, only using cotton/something thin and not wool? How would I attach a liner, also. I found some old German milsurp camo pants I was thinking of using for shits and giggles if the thickness will affect the pattern a lot.
If I can make my own pattern I have a jacket like this I'd essentially like to clone, but I'm sort of nervous to do it on my own the first time, hence the pattern
>>
File: IMG_0434.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0434.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
>>12545341
Alot of this stuff I'm posting is old and has sold at a local boutique already, but I'm always making new ones
>>
>>12545347
That dragon is sick. How long does it take for the machine to make something as big as that?
>>
>>12545357
Ah sadly the dragon was from a cheap kimono I found at a thrift store. I cut it out and attached it like a patch on the back of this bleach splattered black denim jacket
>>
>>12545092
bleach droplets
>>
File: AinuSan.jpg (733KB, 1022x1042px) Image search: [Google]
AinuSan.jpg
733KB, 1022x1042px
no relevant threads and i dont know what to make my own thread out of this, but any idea where i can get some pants that look or fit like this?
anywhere to buy shit like the guy is wearing in general?
>>
File: Untitled.png (350KB, 1232x696px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
350KB, 1232x696px
>>12545343
Their is a few ways to go about it, but ultimately drafting your own will give you the best copy. The collar would be the hardest part but I think you'll find that it's easier than it looks.
Pic is a basic linen jacket design but will need to be altered in length but might be a good starting point. I used this to make a mesh top in the similar style of the Esklander black shirt
>>
>>12545377
Looks like they're tied at the bottom, i suppose you could go to a fabric store and get some tapestry fabric and make pants with it, then attach strings to the cuffs.
>>
I see you knitters, and also respect you, but are there any crocheters? Everyone I know IRL is a baby afghan grandma or funny hat nerd.
>>
>>12545333
make me something pls
>>
>>12545401
How do you the draft the patterns from that image according to your measurements?
>>12546292
Does it differs a lot from knitting?
>>
File: paint stripe.jpg (626KB, 1318x802px) Image search: [Google]
paint stripe.jpg
626KB, 1318x802px
this is kinda basic but I like how they turned out. getting tape that will stick to denim is pretty hard thats why the lines kinda bleed through a little. If I do it again I would probably end up doing 3 colors like the ian connor rainbow pants
>>
>>12546929
cool shit. what kinda paint you use?
>>
Which one of you losers bought my crusty old Soviet pants?
>>
>>12546999

basic fabric paint
>>
>>12546929
good stuff, what tape did you use? I figure masking or painters tape might work best, but that might depend on the denim of the jeans. I like the nike blazers too, shame not too many people wear them.
>>
>>12547149

I used painters but there is probably some better tape. I would go with something as sticky as possible(maybe duct tape) since im pretty sure the adhesive wont damage the jeans
>>
>>12547161
also, try ironing the area flat before you tape it to get a perfect line, unless you don't mind it a little wavy
>>
>>12546292
Just a knitter myself I'm afraid. I've got a couple of crochet hooked for picking up stitches but nothing more than that.

>>12546526
It's one needle rather than two, the look of the things created is quite different and it's pretty much a whole different way of making stuff. I'm a fairly competent knitter, but I wouldn't know the first thing about how to crochet something.
>>
hey /DIY/, I am a man on a mission and I need your help

I want to commission a made-to-order patchwork hooded cloak but am having a very difficult time finding the correct person. All my searching on etsy and instagram turned up was medieval cosplay and tacky hippie clothes, which is not at all what I'm going for here. Does anyone know of a skilled seamstress/artist who would be willing to take a project like this?
>>
>>12546526
I drafted by trial and error
>>
>>12547476
there are probably some around here, whaz exactly are you looking for?
>>
Any guides on how to do the cracked gesso paint thing
Am looking at doing it into some fake MMM gats or some converse, if it matters.
>>
>>12547476
Cheasecloth on tumblr did almost exactly what you're thinking about, i heard he's thinking about taking commissions
>>
>>12539123
what kind of paint are you using for this? Want to paint some shoes for my niece.
>>
>>12543456

Look up cafe racer jacket
>>
>>12543456

Looks like it's meant to be nylon or wax. Racing jacket/blouson. $$$ for a decent one.
>>
>>12547476
A holder cloak? Like a cape?
>>
File: Tsunami_by_hokusai_19th_century.jpg (346KB, 1200x807px) Image search: [Google]
Tsunami_by_hokusai_19th_century.jpg
346KB, 1200x807px
>>12547807
I used a product called Angelus Leather Paint, and I finished it off with their matte acrylic finisher to keep it from cracking. They recommend buying their deglazer to prime the leather, but you can just buy a big bottle of 100% acetone at Walmart and it'll do the job.

I bought a box of their paints for about $35 off of Amazon, but if you're not going to be painting with a ton of different colors and wouldn't be painting multiple pairs of shoes, then I'd just buy the large bottles of white & black paint, some small bottles of the paints you'll need to mix with the white and black to get your desired colors, and one of their finishers in the finish that you want.

As you can tell, the matte finisher still gives off a bit of shine. I think they make one that gives off less of a shine; just look around.

Before painting these shoes, I attempted to paint some other shoes with some cheap acrylic paint, and it was trash. I couldn't recommend Angelus enough, and the paint is pretty cheap.

They've got a good bit of tut videos on their YouTube account that shows how to paint on a lot of different shoe textures. So id check that out too.

>>12545320
Wow. I never thought about that. I'd just need to figure out a way to make it crack enough and then seal it so it wouldn't turn into a mess when exposed to water. I feel like it's doable though. I have another pair of leather shoes that I'll probably experiment with.

>>12541569
I appreciate it. Yeah, my first idea was to actually paint The Great Wave Off Kanagawa (pic Rel) on the side. However, painting on shoes certainly isn't as easy as drawing at all. I pivoted to painting an overlapped Japanese flag red circle on the side, like it currently is, with an angry tiger head on the edge like it's popping out from the seam, and then a tiger tail poking out from the opposite seam on the other shoe.

I've got some pretty grand ideas, but they're just that..ideas.
>>
File: S91018000-2.jpg (27KB, 300x330px) Image search: [Google]
S91018000-2.jpg
27KB, 300x330px
>>12537541

I recently bought a milsurp trenchcoat, and though it fits well in the shoulders, and pretty good in arm length, the waist and below is even more enormous then expected. Its a rubber material, so is it possible for me to alter it without fucking it up?
>>
>>12548177
That's a rain coat, stupid, it goes over your other clothes and web belt
>>
>>12547821
>>12547817
>>12543456
Try etsy or ebay for a vintage moto or care racer jacket, you're looking for something from probably the 60s or 70s. You could get an Eisenhower or Harrington jacket and modify it with a snap collar, and re dye it or coat it with wax for a shiny effect, then add patches.
>>
>>12548177
Yeah but if you want to retain 100% waterproof capability, you'll have to glue or tape the seams that you sew into it to keep the water out.
>>
File: WP_20170620_14_01_22_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170620_14_01_22_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
finished my cargo pouches today, too bad my phone camera is shit. I'll keep you guys updated on the project as I make progress
>>
>>12538629
Don't forget it's been around for six months or so.
>>
File: chinese content.jpg (170KB, 980x880px) Image search: [Google]
chinese content.jpg
170KB, 980x880px
>>12545377
>>
>>12546292
I crochet. You mainly see people making afghans or funny hats because that's basically all crochet is for. You can make sweaters and socks and amigurumi too, but crochet makes a very chunky fabric that most people find stuffy and old fashioned. Crochet is slightly more complicated than knitting, and you can make pretty lace and doilies if you use thread instead of yarn, but imho knitted clothing will always look better than crochet.
>>
>>12537921
Drip bleach techniques rundown?
>>
>>12548729
>Chinese content
>Clearly fucking says Ainu
I hate you
>>
I have a pair of us army fatigues from nam era and they fit perfectly in waist. They are very wide tho and im just getting into looser pants. How should i wear them?

Bloused with boots?
Cuff with sneakers
Pinroll? Taper them with cuff?
Taper and cropped?
I dont want to loose the cool factor and make them so slim but any recommendations?
>>
>>12547741
anyone who's experienced with patchwork cut and sew
>>12547796
thanks, I'll check him out
>>12547937
yes sort of like a cape
>>
>>12545333
>>12545338
>>12545341
Nice as f mate
>>
>>12549153
Would commission the shit out of you btw
>>
File: IMG_0857.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0857.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
work in progress. probably going to change the geometric patch on the front out. I want to get some kind of neon flourescent cords(probably orange to replace the strings too. I want to go for some type of workwear/streetwear looking bag inspired from undercoverism/offwhite
>>
File: IMG_24351.jpg (596KB, 1340x935px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_24351.jpg
596KB, 1340x935px
>>12549176
I made one with contrast strap colors awhile ago but I gave it to a friend
>>
File: 1479805136007.jpg (1MB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479805136007.jpg
1MB, 2400x1600px
>>12549182

the contrast straps were inspired by this
>>
>>12548471
really looking forward to this
>>12539483
this is cool never seen someone do embroidery like it before. I remember a dude a long time ago that did a ton of diy work on a jacket and it turned out sweet. I would add stuff to it slowly
>>
>>12549184

id on jacket?
>>
>>12549359

its super rare vintage ralph lauren idk exact name sorry
>>
>>12549176
looks cool
you got a pattern?
>>
File: IMG_2304.jpg (135KB, 1176x703px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2304.jpg
135KB, 1176x703px
Alright lads, I'm gonna soak the shirt on the left in some saltwater to try and give it the finish of the shirt on the right. Wish me luck.
>>
>>12550429
Good luck! Don't forget to post the turnout here!
>>
File: IMG_3583.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3583.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Recipe calls for one quart of water, this can't be right...
>>
File: IMG_3585.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3585.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
The ratio seems fucky but whatever
>>
File: IMG_3586.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3586.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>12550514
We have contact, now I just have to wait about 2-3 days
>>
>>12550523
>>12550514
>>12550471
you didnt need to post these my guy
just post the result
>>
>>12550531
I'm documenting my experiences
>>
>>12550539
that's cool, you can keep those images and these experiences, but it doesn't add anything to the thread/community b
>>
Hi friends, maybe you can help me with a question I have.

My favourite pair of jeans had a small rip basically right to the left of the butthole. I mended it, and it ripped again and now extends along the seam. This is the second pair of pants that has done this exact same thing to me. Am I not mending them properly? It's not that they don't fit, though I am an active person so I guess I shouldn't be wearing them so much when I go hiking et cetera.

I'm thinking that when I mend them again I'll just extend my sewing area out further because the original mend is intact.

Any tips or insight?
>>
>>12550554
The crotch is a high stress area, which is why pants have machined bartacks in order to add support
the stress in this area is also a reason why they use flat felled seams on the crotch and inseam
>>
>>12550564
I don't know what any of those words mean, but thank you for your reply, friend.

Are these terms I should look up to affect how I sew? I would rate my sewing skill level a 2-3/10, I know it in practice from teaching myself but I know shit about theory, and my machine's foot pedal is missing so I'm hand sewing.
>>
>>12545328
i guess it'll look good on a seaside.
thanks for the tip
>>
>>12550576
flat felled on the left, bartack on the right
the flat felled adds support to the entire seam

the bartack (the bunched row of stitches) is intended to reinforce a high stressed area

in terms of doing this by hand, on denim, good luck
these are done in factories with $4000+ machines, but can be done on a home machine with a short stitch length and a short zigzag width
>>
>>12550545
it's fun, let him do it
>>
>>12550586
Thank you for spoonfeeding me friend. I'll do my best.
>>
>>12547006
That's not gonna wash off leather or synthetic?
>>
>>12539306
Would you be so kind to review the knitting entry on the pastebin? I didn't copy paste everything you said the previous thread as I thought it was unnecessary, but you know best.

Why is it so difficult to find a military green and a yellow sweater in a thriftshop? The binding and the fabric found in my shops are not the same colour. So far I can only draw the sweater. It's frustrating.
>>
>>12550628

no idea how it would hold up on those materials soz senpai
>>
>>12538158
keep us updated, i love seeing irl tailoring and clothes design <3
>>
>>12550845
if you're looking for replica camo, K might be able to help, they have milsurp, camo, and gear threads occaisonally. I've seen early SS rain camo reps for sale on various websites, what pattern are you looking for?
>>
>>12545401
this looks really nice but i am a noobie and i don't understand where all the backs and fronts go please explain
>>
>>12551325
back body- cut 1 on fold
sleeve- cut 2 on fold
front body- cut 2
back collar- cut 1 on fold
cuff- cut 2 on fold
pocket- cut 2
front button facing?-cut 2
back neck facing?-cut 1 on fold
front neck facing?- cut 2
>>
>>12539483
looks neat bud keep it up
>>
File: 1413850742406.png (444KB, 799x572px) Image search: [Google]
1413850742406.png
444KB, 799x572px
>>
>>12550545
fuck off retard
>>
File: 20170613_132529.jpg (685KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20170613_132529.jpg
685KB, 2000x1125px
Finished a few prototype pieces last week.
Kimono Bomber jacket w/ Faux welt pockets
>>
File: ricky model.jpg (1MB, 1200x2608px) Image search: [Google]
ricky model.jpg
1MB, 1200x2608px
>>12551554
on model
>>
File: hjhjhgj.jpg (149KB, 291x820px) Image search: [Google]
hjhjhgj.jpg
149KB, 291x820px
Also;

Wide T-shirt w/ silk lined pocket
and
High Waist Hakama Pants w/ hidden seam pockets
>>
File: DIY.jpg (72KB, 500x431px) Image search: [Google]
DIY.jpg
72KB, 500x431px
>>
>>12551559
>>12551554
looks good. Where are the seams? It looks like the sleeves are all one piece. Also, what do you mean by faux welt pockets?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mj3epkRE7A1qzuyaj.jpg (29KB, 500x655px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mj3epkRE7A1qzuyaj.jpg
29KB, 500x655px
Anyone have a sample pattern for a double rider? I'm guessing it's two front pieces, one back piece, and sleeves?
>>
>>12551610
sleeves are all one piece. seams are under arm and side, back and front is once piece folded at shoulder.
faux being they look like welt pockets but the 'fold' over facing piece is attached to the pocket bag rather then the facing. so the pocket hole is at the bottom of the detail rather than the top.
>>
>>12551648
interesting. I'm going to make a zippered front pockets in addition to the cargo ones I posted in >>12548471

unfortunately my zippers are from ebay and still haven't arrived in the post.
>>
>>12551634
i'd wager a guess that there are two back pieces, and the sleeves would be two piece as well.

i'd say its:
Front left
Front left zip Extension
Front left Facing
Front Right
Front Right Facing
Collar
Collar Facing
Sleeve Top
Sleep Bottom
Back cut 1 pair
Lining Front Right
Lining Back
Lining Front Left
Lining Sleeve top
Lining Sleeve Bottom
then whatever else for details like shoulder epaulettes, pockets, waist tie
>>
>>12551577
fuck me in the ass
>>
>>12551042
I want to make the camo myself. Cutting and sewing my own geometric figures.
>>
File: dsc_5293.jpg (197KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_5293.jpg
197KB, 1000x665px
>>12537541
I wanna start making my own shoes. Where do I start? Has anyone attempted/succeeded in this endeavor?

As far as I know, you'll need a shoe last. Could I get away with just using a plaster cast of my feet? How can I ensure that shit won't fall apart on me the moment I step outside? I assume a sewing machine isn't powerful enough to sew shoes.
>>
>>12552367
I appreciate what you're trying, you should keep at it

From what i've seen good ol' knoch made his own shoes using a standard mahine to sew a canvas upper and hand stitched the leather
>>
>>12552401
I'm not entirely sure what material I want to make the upper with. I'm leaning towards leather and other tougher materials, I still need to draft out some designs. Will probably have to end up sewing the entire thing by hand in that case, I don't know of any machines that will be able to sew tougher materials let alone affordable ones.
>>
>>12552465
Vintage machines can sew through leather. Most have a crank wheel for adjusting the needle up or down, and you can actually use that to cycle the needle like the motor does. I've made a few patches out of leather, as well as trim for a wallet.
>>
File: 20170621-DSC_7446.jpg (2MB, 1798x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170621-DSC_7446.jpg
2MB, 1798x1200px
>>12542974
Get some embroidery needles and sashiko thread. There are some etsy stores that sell everything you need. There are a lot of sashiko tutorials on youtube, and it's pretty easy once you get some practice in.

I've been going for a sort of Boro style on my Railcars, but I'm repairing them as needed for a more organic look.
>>
>>12552550
>Vintage machines can sew through leather. Most have a crank wheel for adjusting the needle up or down, and you can actually use that to cycle the needle like the motor does.
Could I get away with just using the flywheel on my modern sewing machine and slowly stitch through heavier materials?
>>
>>12551685
???

is that a compliment?? haha not sure

i like the way it turned out though
>>
>>12552567
I'm not sure, probably depends on what the internals are made of. I only have experience with a vintage heavy duty one that the manual claims is rated for leather, but the motor is so worn that sometimes it can't even sew through a few layers of denim.
>>
>>12550845
Looks good man thanks.
>>
File: Brother-1034D-serger-review.jpg (446KB, 2036x2036px) Image search: [Google]
Brother-1034D-serger-review.jpg
446KB, 2036x2036px
I'm sure it has been asked before, but how necessary is it to own a serger? Are there situations where you absolutely need one or can you get away with using a conventional sewing machine?

I don't really want to fork over another 100-200 for something I don't absolutely need.
>>
>>12553161
A serger probably isn't necessary, if you're worried, run 2 seams with a regular machine.
>>
>>12553161
only necessary if you're gonna work with knits, in which case you should get one with a coverstitch features
otherwise, no need to serge a woven seam, you can always practice different seam finishes to hide raw edges, or even just zigzag if your machine has that function
>>
File: BLEACHED_HOODIE_FRONT_grande.jpg (43KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
BLEACHED_HOODIE_FRONT_grande.jpg
43KB, 400x600px
>>
>>12553642
bleach out the strings
>>
>>12553642
>>12553644
this is Greg Lauren's lol
probably a $1000 hoodie
>>
>>12553648
I know
>>
>>12553648
just looked it up

Why so expensive for a basic ass bleached hoodie

I could make that for $15 lol

Never even heard of Greg Lauren either
>>
>>12553820
made in la
wash process to achieve that color
muh hand bleached detail
muh distressing

and probably pays retail for fabric
+ his market's markup to wholesale is at least 60%, and another markup to retail is at least another 60%

he has a cult following in japan
>>
>>12553820
okay buddy, if you can make that for only $15 please do and show results :)

Also, its only $15, thats nothing. Therefore theres no reason for you not to do it

Will wait to see finished product
>>
>>12537541
can you dip dye shoes and get away with? or is it diy for plebs?
>>
>>12552715
yeah i like it a lot actually, what did you do?
was it black first or orange?
>>
>>12553847
>>12553836
>>12553820

not the other dude but that hoodie is trash imo. I like his other stuff but that thing is horrible
>>
>>12548812
taper from the knee to a 8" leg opening and crop them. I did that to a pair of cargos and it ended up great
>>
>>12553962
it was navy and green first

the parts with bleach turned orange/light red

just pour bleach/water mixture on it and hope for the best lol

Want to cop some flannels from thrift store this weekend and do some experimenting
>>
File: WP_20170623_12_39_03_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170623_12_39_03_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
update: zip pockets are a bitch
>>
>>12553888
I like it.
>>
>>12553161
not necessary at all for a beginner hobbiest but you will have garments sitting around thinking to yourself these would be so much better and wolud have finished them sooner with a serger... I always have a pile like that. I borrow a friends serger every few months and finish them but I really should just drop the money on a cheap shitter one already.
>>
Where can I buy somewhat cheap, solid color, blank canvas caps? I want pretty good quality, not like the very rigid feeling baseball caps.

I ask because I was in Japan a few weeks ago, and a friend of mine bought a hat with "you are fake news" written backwards on the front in stitching for $40. I feel like I could come up with a more witty/Reddit phrase and just sew it on myself, but I need a hat to sew it on.

Less than $15 per hat would be ideal, but I guess I'll take suggestions up to $25.
>>
>>12550429
Is this just supposed to affect the appearance or will it affect the feel/actual thread? I have a softer shirt I'd like to make less soft, but I don't want to ruin it.
>>
Wandered into a Margiela store today and it looks like a treasure trove of diy inspo, from their decorative casted props to their jackets and shirts.

I'm probably going to start with a half and half white t shirt and shirt. It looked and felt amazing but simple.

Also was thinking of buying one of their "cygnet seal" type silver rings, casting the negative in silicon, returning it and then taking my own time recasting it in alloy. Is that taboo? I want to know how certain they'll refund me it I return it the next day :/
>>
>>12557552
why bother to knock off one of their rings? wouldn't making your own design be better?
>>
File: org_2[1].jpg (13KB, 391x370px) Image search: [Google]
org_2[1].jpg
13KB, 391x370px
>>12557555
Because I'm a margiela fuccboi and I can't afford it
>>
File: Margiela small.jpg (60KB, 1218x981px) Image search: [Google]
Margiela small.jpg
60KB, 1218x981px
>>12557552
Following up from that post, what tips would you give to someone trying to make this as a summer pet project?

For the pattern, I'm probably going to take apart an existing cheap oversized garment and make it using a thin organza material. Are the details drawn on in crayon? Or are they entirely embroidered on?
>>
>>12550545
He can bump the thread and participate all he wants you fucking summerfag.
>>
>>12557711
not him but acrylic paint might work
>>
File: VALDRES CRISPI.jpg (2MB, 2832x2688px) Image search: [Google]
VALDRES CRISPI.jpg
2MB, 2832x2688px
So I was given these mountain boots but I can't stand the screaming colours.
I already changed to black laces.
Is there a way to paint(spray?) the orange midsole? It's made of polyurethane
>>
File: 1497760283500.jpg (770KB, 3612x2040px) Image search: [Google]
1497760283500.jpg
770KB, 3612x2040px
>>12557833
Ya spray paint could work
Just mask off the boot part and buy Matte Black so it won't look so glossy
Then wait a day or 2 to let dry
>>
File: 1496475855970.jpg (164KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1496475855970.jpg
164KB, 900x900px
>>12557997
Gonna try this. Hopefully the paint won't crack to bad.
Might stick better if I roughen up the plastic with some sandpaper before spraying
>>
>>12558020
holy fuck that looks like a good boy
>>
>>12556698
idk but I'd also like to know
>>
>>12557997
Where is this image from?
>>
>>12539306

Finally had some time to finish off the sleeves today, so all I've got left to do is attach everything and this jumper is finished.

The most basic construction really, but it's going to fill the hole in my wardrobe I wanted it to. I'll go for something more technical for my next project I think.
>>
>>12559442
looks good anon! what do you mean by technical?
>>
>>12540778
you look good as shit my amigo. just clean up the collar and 10/10 would buy
>>
>>12559635
Basically this just used very minimal shaping (a few increases on the sleeves and a few decreases to shape the neck), and was essentially just blocks to be attached together. No complicated techniques.

It was all quite simple, partly because I only wanted a simple looking jumper and partly because I made it without a pattern so I didn't want to do anything complicated because I'm not a pattern drafter.

My next planned project is using a pattern I found this week for a raglan top knitted in the round in one piece, so the actual construction will have more elements to keep track of and a lot more techniques to make it and won't be as simple to make as this one was. Though it'll probably end up quicker to do because it won't require seaming together at the end.
>>
>>12559808
sounds good. Do you ever consider using multiple knit colors?
>>
>>12559819
Yeah I've made a few things in different colours both in simple stripes and stranded colourwork (/fair isle), but I wanted this a solid colour because I'm planning on wearing it with patterned things.

I'm unsure whether to do my next project all one colour or not, but I wouldn't be doing it in stranded colourwork because that makes the fabric very thick and dense (because you carry two different coloured yarns on the unseen sign of the fabric while you're working the coloured bits) for what I'll be making. It'd either be stripes or large blocks of colour, or a contrast neckline and hem.
Or I could just go for a variegated yarn and leave it at that.
>>
>>12559878
do keep us updated, I enjoy seeing your stuff.
>>
File: IMG_2486.jpg (33KB, 674x674px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2486.jpg
33KB, 674x674px
>>12550429
Ok, I'm back, I soaked it in saltwater in my sink for about 3 days and it did FUCK ALL. It looks exactly the same as it did, I wasted a whole salt shaker. Anyway, are there any other methods that actually work for making a t shirt look like an old pigment dyed t shirt from the 90s?
>>
>>12560474
stonewashing it with pumice stone?
>>
>>12560474
https://www.founditemclothing.com/itgoesto11/aging-tee-shirts-in-six-easy-steps-salt-washing-soda-part-5/

>>12560530
this can damage your machine, i'd avoid it
>>
>>12559988
Of course! Glad you enjoy it!

I'll probably finish the jumper off tonight, but then I'll need to decide on a yarn and get some more needles to use for my next one. Not sure how long that will take, but whenever it is I start working on it I'll post some progress.
>>
File: Large_UR-964.jpg (73KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
Large_UR-964.jpg
73KB, 500x501px
Where do you guys get your fabrics from? I've been using a local supplier for some time now, but I can't help but think there's better options out there in terms of price, quality, and variety.

I'm a BC fag btw
>>
>>12561171
Joann for liners/batting/nylon straps, fabric.com for corduroy, and etsy for leather for when I do leather crafting.
>>
File: bebop.jpg (415KB, 1000x573px) Image search: [Google]
bebop.jpg
415KB, 1000x573px
had a weab moment and did this
>>
>>12562104
Looks fucking nice anon
>>
File: IMG_7041.jpg (135KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7041.jpg
135KB, 720x1280px
I'm still working out the kinks...
>>
>>12562675
Pretty nice.
>>
>>12562104
this is fantastic did you use a stencil or a pen?
>>
>>12554935
Very excited for this
>>
>>12551568
These are so nice.
Could I get the patterns?
>>
>>12562966
a muji gel pen, and it's handsfree. thanks anons
>>
>>12539483
my only "peave" is how pale/dull the colour is. It's probably jus the lighting so dw about it :)
>>
Hey, I'm interested in designing my own clothes. Can some of you comment on how the process from idea to finished garment generally looks for them? What is the most difficult part for you? Thanks in advance
>>
>>12563641
I'm the anon working on >>12548471
>>12554935

I started with a rough idea about what I wanted to make, which was a bomber with some cargo pockets and zippers. To make the pattern I chose to rough out a drawing on an old blueprint, and the drawing was based off of a jacket that I liked but thought was a little large. Because of this, I could trace and measure the jacket I had exactly and sew one with seam allowances because going from too big to slightly smaller just means a better fit. So after making the pattern for the torso and sleeves, I cut the fabric bits needed for each part out of my outer fabric, which was maroon corduroy. I made cargo pockets out of my own design, I just sort of mocked up the approximate size and thought about how a cargo pocket comes from the factory, and then all the folds necessary to make it function. After that, it was just a measure of sewing them up and making the two cargo pockets look as symmetrical as possible. After that, I did zip pockets, but I didn't follow a tutorial because I'm an impulsive idiot, and I was lucky they turned out okay. I'm still waiting on some materials so I can't finish it just yet, but I'll keep you guys updated on new developments.
>>
File: clear vinyl pvc gauge.jpg (693KB, 1696x2134px) Image search: [Google]
clear vinyl pvc gauge.jpg
693KB, 1696x2134px
>Comparing Clear Vinyl Weights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO1Z0laAaXg
>CLEAR OUTDOOR VINYL: Wholesale 20 Gauge Double Polished Extremely Clear Material
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9sY_XCkAc

hey I'm a programmer and I've had this idea to add some kind of lighting and maybe animated graphics to clear clothes ever since I saw this vinyl jacket by Comme Des Garcons and then these pants that were recently sold by Topshop and not really received well because they weren't breathable and uncomfortable to wear but I think it is a really cool material still

I don't think I've ever actually come across it in any clothing myself so I'm not sure what the proper gauge/thickness for a garment completely made of this stuff would be
based on the little info I dug up the higher the gauge the thicker the sheet, where 60 gauge looks way too thick to be flexible and 4 gauge looks thin enough to get poked through by a sharpened pencil I'm feeling the most acceptible sizes would between 12 and 20 gauge

Obviously I'm going to go to joanns at some point and see them in person but I just wanted to know what you all thought or if anyone has had experience with vinyl/pvc?

(sorry for the mess of a picture btw but I wanted to try and get all the info and thoughts I had into one post)
>>
>>12565082
Samuel Ross ( A Cold Wall) has been able to make really great coats out of pvc and vinyl
the gauge is dependent on the function you want as well as the amount of structure, but the range you're looking to be in should be fine
sewing through it is tough and requires you to use the appropriate needle
>>
If anyone who knows anything about pattern-making & sewing could help me.

I've been following this book called "Pattern-Making for Men's Wear," and it's so far been a great read with understanding what measurements I should perform on the body.

However, it states how they'll be learning with a European medium body measurements, and that anyone else should use the size chart to find the size closest to their body size.

This doesn't help me though, because that means I'll just be sewing up the shirts that don't fit me that I get in the store.

People on Youtube states to add 1" here and 2" there while dividing by two. I obviously understand that division, but it seems like every youtube video has different measurements to add onto the measurements.

How do I go about creating an upper body sloper using my own raw numbers and understanding any of the conversions I'll need to do in order to create it? I'm guessing this is the main part where a fit form would come in handy, but I am just wanting to start out by creating a t-shirt that's based solely off of my body measurements and doesn't use some chart, maybe move onto a hoody after I've made a couple of nice looking shirts, and then move on by taking the measurements of a friend and starting over the process again.

I feel like if I start basing measurements off of charts, that I will be hindered in utilizing my measurements to create the exact amount of extra fabric, etc. that I'd want in a piece.

Any help would be nice.
>>
I'm going to be making this dungaree one of these days. I don't know if to use fabric like the one Annie is wearing or just plain black.
>>
I've finally finished this jumper.

Looks a weird length on the photo, but it hits where I want it to (that's partly why I took up knitting. It can be hard to find knitwear the right length if you're 5'0). I know a lot of knitters hate seaming but I could mattress stitch stuff all day.
>>
>>12565082
I don't have any answer but I'm also really interested in clothes incorporating vinyl since I saw the last Patrik Ervell collection!
>>
>>12552367
Cool idea. Now I kinda want to learn how to make shoes, so that I can use them for a short time and then make some new ones. People would probably notice ane maybe even ask you "what's up with that lol", and you wouldn't be stuck with just one pair of shoes for a long time, much like having just one wallpaper for months can be boring. I like this idea because, first of all, you'll have somthing to make, which is always great, and secondly, shoes don't need much material, meaning it should be relatively cheap to make.
>>
>>12566112
this is on the circumference, and you work in quarters so divide by 4

woven sloper (chest) - slim fit ease 4" or less, classic fit ease 4" or more
knit sloper (chest) - slim fit ease 2" or less, classic fit ease 2" or more

if you're making a button down shirt and you have a 38" chest, your front half chest is 9.5"
if you're using a 4" ease, then your front half chest will be 10.5" wide

woven sleeve bicep circumference ease is about 2"-3", and in the case of a sleeve, you do not divide it by 4
>>
File: IMG_1123.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1123.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Should I cut off (unstitch) the ugly converse logo on these?
>>
On a scale of 1-10, how good is the stuff shown in this video?

I want to get started making my own clothing, and if making my own tees by copying the fit of my favourite one would work, I'll just use that instead of buying a pattern.
>>
>>12566703
Forgot link, my bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE4FgNxONcE
>>
>>12566688
So we just gonna ignore this post and the triple-dubs? baka
>>
>>12566488
post fit. it do looks to small length wise, looks great tho
>>
>>12566721
neck band should be at most 15% less than the neckline length, assuming you're using a rib knit or a jersey with a lot of stretch--him not doing this is why his neckline looks awkward
seam allowances should all be 3/8" on a knit
not a big deal but he says he uses a zig zag because the jersey he is using happens to be very stretchy, but the reality is knits can only be lockstitched (straight stitch) vertically (on the grainline) or the seam can rip or warp the section
in order to make sure you're cutting on the grain, the width of the pattern is in the same direction as the stretch of the fabric-- t shirts need horizontal stretch and not so much vertical stretch

the sleeves should be sewn on open before the side seams are sewn on the body
so what you do is (making sure you cut two different faced sleeves) lay the sleeve on top of the open t shirt face to face, matching the correct armhole-sideseams together and sew along the armhole
then you can close the sleeve matching the sides face to face, and when you cross the bottom of the armhole you can close the side seams
>>
>>12566764
Aside from those, the basic concept is spot on, right?
>>
>>12566857
yeah
that method is highly dependent on the fabric you're using being very similar to the one you're knocking off though
>>
>>12566669
Hey, thanks a lot!
>>
>>12566688
Seriously, don't give a fuck and do whatever makes you happy. If you hate the tag and aren't going to try & resell them or something, then just remove it. Heck, you already called it ugly.
>>
>>12566488
looks good, esp the collar and cuffs
>>
>>12563248
>it's handsfree
Did you hold the pen in your mouth or your feet or ??? explain
>>
>>12566488
looks great, good job!
>>
>>12565082
Woe, animated graphics on clear clothing? I don't know anything to really help you, but keep me posted because this sounds like really promising stuff.
>>
>>12566741
Don't have a fit pic with it, I'll try to get one next time I wear it. Basically it hits natural waistline though because the plan is to wear it over dresses and most short jumpers I find hit below my waist and into the skirt section of a dress which makes me look like a cone, this one hits as the skirt starts so I don't look like a cone. But yeah when I cast off the front panel I though it looked way short and I'd miscalculated. Turns out it's not, I just underestimated how short I was when I was looking at it.

>>12567171
Thanks! I'm pleased with the decreases around the collar. Tried out a method I hadn't used before that I saw in a blog post where one side uses a left leaning decrease and the other a right leaning decrease one in from the edge. Don't know why I'd never tried it befor but it worked well.

>>12567885
Thanks!
>>
hello /diy/, i've done a little bit of google searching and haven't found anything concrete, so maybe one of you will know

i have a pair of (non-waterproof) canvas boots in an olive green shade that have faded really irregularly. could i feasibly dye them black with rit or india ink?
>>
>>12568646
canvas should dye, provided they don't have any sort of coating. If the dye fails, you can use fabric paint on the canvas.
>>
>>12567328
jesus dude he means he didnt use a stencil
>>
>>12550545
fuck off summer don't shit up our threads
>>
What are some good or decent cheap sweatshirts to start making shit with. Planning to make a dual coloured sweatshirt, is it possible to do with hand? I'm poorfag right now.

Also, I'm this anon (>>12543117), gonna start off with something other than denim, someone recommended me getting a second hand machine, does anyone know what a good machine is that I should look into as a complete beginner?

pic related is an example, going for a vertical dual colour one, I doubt asymmetric will look good so imgojng for normal, symmetrical crewmen.
>>
File: 11822916_8583729_1000.jpg (122KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
11822916_8583729_1000.jpg
122KB, 1000x1334px
>>12569865
forgot pic
>>
>>12569830
if he meant freehand he should have written freehand
>>
I'm looking at learning how to sew, hopefully hem up some pants and tees, then maybe eventually try and put together some simple projects in the future from scratch.

I've never sewed before and am looking at investing in a cheap sewing machine to get started on. Could anyone recommend the ikea sewing machines? And if not, are there any cheap(ish) alternative I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>12569933
Come on man, people make typos all the time, or English might not be his first language, or he just got the word mixed up. No need to be a dick
>>
>>12569953
What's your price range?

No idea about the ikea sewing machines, but generally speaking a machine that does the same thing as another machine but priced lower usually means there is some sacrifice in quality.
>>
>>12570082
sorry friend, i wasn't trying to be a dick, i was only making a joke, playing a ruse, spinning a humorous yarn
>>
>>12570113

I guess I'd be willing to go up to $200. I just found a second hand but good condition Ikea one online for $75 though which is why I thought maybe I should jump on it.
>>
>>12570118
newer machines are usually more user friendly, come with a manual, and you can find parts and tutorials online to help you.

old machines can be more powerful and durable, but harder to use or find replacement parts for. They're significantly less beginner friendly though.
>>
>>12569865
Fruit of the Loom?
>>
>>12537541
Hi
>>
>>12570982
I'm really enjoying everyone creativity
>>
>>12569865
Marlboro sweater was made with hanes
>>
File: Merino Wool Hooded Sweatshirt.jpg (1MB, 2867x3826px) Image search: [Google]
Merino Wool Hooded Sweatshirt.jpg
1MB, 2867x3826px
first merino fleece hoodie sample
serged, and not coverstitched, hems and edges are a motif used throughout the line as a texture and contrast to smooth fabrics

edits to be made:
extension of the hood's neckline to overlap across center front
3" added to the height of the kangaroo pocket
widened armhole
widened wrist opening
>>
>>12565082
god i just tried sewing clear vinyl for a piece in my senior collection and it was so potato im scrapping the whole design
>>
>>12570976
>>12571770
thanks
>>
>>12571781
So you've got exposed overlock on all the hems?
>>
>>12572291
not all but a good percentage
>>
Can i buy sashiko thread in a store (in Los Angeles) or do i have to order it online?
>>
>>12571781
looks pretty fucked desu
>>
>>12571781
I like it but yeah the pocket is too short, 3'' more should do the trick
>>
File: nord korea supremem.png (1MB, 2105x440px) Image search: [Google]
nord korea supremem.png
1MB, 2105x440px
thinking of making supreme parody t-shirts

thoughts?
>>
>>12574960

corny. supreme is already lame
>>
I'm now working on a top down jumper, sooner than I thought because I found a yarn I liked for it on offer.

Neckband is done now, working on the shoulders which are shaped using yarn over increases every other row to create eyelets on the division between sleeves and body (marked off by circular markers).

It's a nice simple pattern, but I haven't decided whether to go for long sleeves or 3/4 yet. The pattern has cap sleeves but I'm not a fan of that.
>>
>>12574960
Dont you fucking dare
>>
>>12574960
why not just write 'regular' instead of supreme and use non italic font?
>>
>>12575075
whats that fabric underneath? looks like some nice patchwork. you should go for long sleeves btw, they usually look cute.
>>
>>12575095
Thanks it's a cushion that just matched nicely with the yarn colour and I needed something to put it down on to take pictures.

See I would normally go for long sleeves, but it's a lightweight jumper and with the colour it'll be more spring/summer appropriate and I end tend to end up pushing my sleeves up to mid forearm anyway this time of year so I don't know whether it would make sense to go for that. But thanks for the input. I might end up going long sleeve.
>>
>>12575010
My country is 5 years behind in trends

>>12575092
Actually a nice idea
>>
File: 239482034.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
239482034.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
>>12557833
>>12557997
Results
>>
>>12577536
looks really nice and professional
>>
>>12577727
Thanks. Curious to see how long it lasts
>>
>>12578026
you could spray some shoe protector on top, or maybe some lacquer to make it last for longer
>>
>>12565082
If you want to use electronics, do you need two layers of vinyl and put the electronics between them?. As for breathable, add holes or a small ventilator for air conditioning? Could the heat melt the vinyl?
>>
>>12565082
anon turned me onto this during a cyberpunk thread

http://www.nemen.it/led/
>>
>>12571781
Love it
>>
File: Led t-shirt - from YouTube.webm (940KB, 568x320px) Image search: [Google]
Led t-shirt - from YouTube.webm
940KB, 568x320px
>>12579606
Yeah I would definitely want wiring separated by an inner layer

in the things I've made before I'm not sure they gave off enough heat to melt something but it did get noticeably warmer so that is worth thinking about

>>12579863
uhh yeah this is awesome and looks way more complex than my idea lol
I just want to do something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZVzCF0xOrQ
except have the display built into the back of a jacket
>>
I admire and respect everyone in this thread
>>
>>12579943
thanks!
>>
>>12545333
i have the same shirt, picked it up at a thrift store, this inspired me
>>
File: 109727-860x484.jpg (54KB, 860x484px) Image search: [Google]
109727-860x484.jpg
54KB, 860x484px
>>12574960
>>
>>12551559
looks awesome, nice job!
>>
loving this positivity
>>
File: WP_20170705_17_01_47_Pro (2).jpg (1MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170705_17_01_47_Pro (2).jpg
1MB, 1840x3264px
corduroybro back, need to attach the sleeves, do the cuffs and collar, the waistband, and the liner but it's coming along.
>>
>>12581427
This thread is one of the sole bastions of positivity on this board, sadly.

I earnestly hope it spreads to other aspects of this board, but hope may be wasted on the hopeless.
>>
Whats a good guide for starting with making your own dress shirts? Cant find any actual guides.
>>
>>12582434
Looks good so far
>>
>>12581427
>>12582465
I agree!
it's nice to actually look forward to seeing whats new with this thread rather than just trawling through mess hoping for who knows what?

I don't even look at the catalog anymore 4chan.org/fa/diy is it
>>
>>12582867
>>12582465
it really is beautiful to see people creating their own one-of-a-kind pieces + actively putting something of themselves into what they wear. a welcome disruption from thread after thread worshipping consumerism + waifus. i agree, hope this culture flourishes + spreads!
>>
File: fannny.png (2MB, 922x851px) Image search: [Google]
fannny.png
2MB, 922x851px
>>12549176

changed it a bit
>>
I made a docker hat. I'll post pictures as soon as I get home
>>
>>12582465
>>12582867
>>12583179
Agreed! It's the only reason I still come to this board. Best threads
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 84

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.