[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to pull off cloaks in the modern age? I go hiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (899KB, 736x924px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
899KB, 736x924px
Is it possible to pull off cloaks in the modern age?

I go hiking a lot and a cloak like pic related would be so useful
>>
>>12439301
If you're fit, tan, handsome, and are dressed in a completely utilitarian way with a utilitarian looking cloak, yeah you might could pull it off. You'll probably just look like a larper.
>>
>>12439301
>a cloak like pic related would be so useful
how?
>>
>>12439328
way better against rain than a coat, can use it as a blanket when sleeping
>>
>>12439333
have you ever been outside?

where do you live?
>>
>>12439337
washington state
>>
>>12439301
how about you just wear it when you go hiking where little people are likely to be seeing you/giving a fuck and not wear it in public because you're a hiker
>>
>>12439339
okay mate

how is a cloak supposed to protect against rain better than a modern rain coat? it doesn't even cover the arms completely, and is open in front. plus the material would absorb water. how is your backpack supposed to fit on top of it?

why on earth would you want to use something you're supposed to wear to sleep on? it gets dirty. it gets wet. if it's wet from rain, then you can't use it neither to cover you or lay on top of.

it's much heavier than a soft sleeping roll. have you ever tried laying down on a piece of fabric on a hard cover? it's uncomfortable as fuck.
>>
>>12439353
nigga wants to cosplay as frodo
>>
>>12439328
It can make you invisible you nigger
>>
only if your wear your fedora and peacoat with it.
>>
>>12439301
just do it and see for yourself
if people admire your style, you can pull it off
if people don't care, you can pull it off
if people laugh at you and you don't give a shit, you can pull it off
>>
>>12439353
>the material would absorb water
Do you even know what wool is?
>>
File: musically.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
musically.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>12439301
>>12439333
>>12439339
>>
>>12439437
Yes. Have you ever worn wool?

>Wool can absorb almost one-third of its own weight in water. - WP

Heavy.

It does not keep you warm when it's wet, as with all fabrics.

http://woodtrekker.blog spot.com/2012/03/does-wool-keep-you-warm-when-wet.html?m=1
>>
>>12439544
go back to redit pony poster
>>
>>12439523
Believe that all you want, my merino longsleeve and loden trousers are practically waterproof.
>>
>>12439683
I don't like reddit and I got dubz, so fuck you.
>>
>>12439353
https://youtu.be/yN8cYd3poIk
>>
>>12439786
Nice anecdotes dude
>>
>>12439301
Inverness coats, which include slight capes in their construction, are what you could look into. Some people still wear these. I believe they originated during the 1860s, 1870s, or 1880s, the late Victorian Age. Late Victorian clothes may still be fair game to try to include some elements from, and not appear completely of a different time period, unless one goes for a full set of period clothes, of course.
>>
>>12439786
>Believe that all you want, my merino longsleeve and loden trousers are practically waterproof.

so basically: "believe science all you want, i have a personal experience to report"?

you are an idiot. it's a fact that modern materials and modern pieces protect you far better from the elements. you could find a poncho at walmart that would protect you better for less than $20. and it would beat OP's autism cloak too

and even in terms of anecdotal experiences wool would lose. you think people would prefer wool when they're out in the cold rain? there's a reason you don't see people doing that
>>
>>12439786
w2c?
>>
>>12440832
Not to whom you are replying.
You know sometimes things are not used because they are better. Sometimes it's because they're cheaper or they're sort of an experiment. Did you know there are rubber ties from when rubber became readily available?
Similarly, things like polyester and nylon spread wide after they were created. I have some polyester shorts I love but a lot of stuff made out of that simply sucks and is not superior to natural fabrics.
In terms of rain wear I don't know if there is a best I think it's more best for a situation.
I've tried contemporary stuff with membranes and I found them hot and sweaty.
In the same situation waxed cotton is more comfortable for me although very heavy in comparison.
As for wool you are criticizing it but there is a growing trend of wool for outdoors gear. Particularly for base layers but not just base layers. If it's so shitty why is Icebreaker doing such good trade?
>>
>>12439339
WSU?
>>
File: 1493648635009.jpg (49KB, 663x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493648635009.jpg
49KB, 663x720px
>>12440846
>Not to whom you are replying
i would really hope that you're not OP either because that would imply frightening stupidity

that whole pretentious explanation you just gave was meaningless. it's a result of you not following the conversation. OP, and that anon, were specifically talking about a piece's ability to protect you, specifically from rain. the basis of the thread is OP finding modern pieces unsatisfactory in that department and thinking that a FUCKING HOBBIT CLOAK would be more practical

it was very clear that we have been talking about a piece's ability to protect a person and it's functionality in the context of hiking/camping when it's cold and rainy
>>
You people are such cowards; cloaks are great, and surprisingly useful/comfortable to wear.
>>
>>12439301
If you go hiking with it then go ahead, everyone is effay in the woods
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.