[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fa/ hiking shoes/boots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 17

File: hiking.jpg (11KB, 300x163px) Image search: [Google]
hiking.jpg
11KB, 300x163px
Is there any hiking shoes and or boots that aren't ugly? Or do they all look like pic related?
>>
if you're actually going to use them for hiking don't fuck around with aesthetics.
>>
>>12265338
i know im not gonna find anything aesthetic, i just dont want shoes/boots the look like this doo doo
>>
they're all ugly, man
and that's okay cuz it's better than fucking up your feet or otherwise getting hurt while hiking
>>
ON has some good trail runners.
>>
>>12265555
wasted quads tbqh
>>
Nike SFBs?
>>
>>12265571
weak sides and poor in the wet. looks good though
>>
File: 51536.jpg (1MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
51536.jpg
1MB, 3000x3000px
>>12265596
if you like the look of SFBs you might want to go with some Danner military boots
they're not as good for your feet as a pair of traditional hiking boots but they definitely maintain the military aesthetic
>>
>>12265335
Adidas Trail Response looks pretty good, though I don't know why you would need good looking shoes for hiking
I guess there's some good tech on these as well
>>
File: H1114-44_0.jpg (107KB, 800x581px) Image search: [Google]
H1114-44_0.jpg
107KB, 800x581px
Hanwag berglers are nice, comfy too
>>
Fitwell Urano. Stunning shoe.
>>
File: showImage.php.jpg (244KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
showImage.php.jpg
244KB, 700x700px
Another good one - Vetsport Alck brown
>>
File: aigle_ah16_tenere_hiking-a.jpg (120KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
aigle_ah16_tenere_hiking-a.jpg
120KB, 1000x1000px
>>
File: Oboz-Arete-1024x819.jpg (142KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
Oboz-Arete-1024x819.jpg
142KB, 1024x819px
Still probably not /fa/ enough for OP, but I like my Oboz Aretes.

They're really sturdy and I like the burly sneaker/approach shoe look.

Just for the trail and post-hike beers, though.
>>
Meindl, you buy them in your lifetime only once, no need for a change even after 15 years of using them.
>>
>>12265338
Fpbp

Function over form for hiking and camping.
>>
>>12265338
>>12265553

Not Op but what makes a shoes good hiking shoe? what could happen if you don't wear hiking shoes and go to serious hiking?

I'm poor and I've only gone hiking in canvas shoes and they were ok. I'm not a serious hiker but I'm interested.
>>
>>12267029
You won't have good footing and could hurt your feet or ankle.
Keep an eBay search open for your size/brand and you might get lucky. I got some Danner Mountain Passes for like 15 bucks and I've seen new White's Boots (those are made to order and like 500 bucks) go for 50 bucks
>>
>>12267029
if you're gonna be walking for a long time over unsteady terrain you want good grip and good support in your ankles, boots are great for that. I agree that leisurely walks in the woods don't require more than some sneakers
>>
>>12265777
nigga these aren't even waterproof
>>
Finally, a thread I can post something useful in

I work as an outfitter, and get asked this at least three times a day. I cannot tell you what the best shoes are, because they will be different from person to person. First, ask yourself two questions:

>What kind of hiking am I going to be doing in these? Is it going to be flat walks on city trails, or am I going to be bagging peaks in the winter? Am I trying to go fast and light? Will I encounter water at any time, and how much will there be?

>What kind of feet do I have? Flat? Wide? Every shoe fits completely differently. Don't just focus on size, but find the shoe that is the right shape for your foot. I have a narrow heel with wide(er) toes. I wear Salomon, a boot that is very V shaped (Pic Related).

Shoes like pic related are great for steep and rugged terrain, and shoes like OP's pic are good for more casual hiking. If you have the ability, I STRONGLY suggest you go to a store like REI, EMS, Moosejaw or someone similar and get fitted. Most are decent at fitting, but every store has one person who really gets it. Ask for that person.

That said, I know this is /fa/ and you want brands, so I'll lay out what I know as best as I can

The Good:

>Salomon: Reasonable price for the quality you get, some models have a definite tech vibe going. Built around the philosophy of going fast and light, many feel like trail runners. Currently used by military and police (I sell so many Quests because its the Bin Laden boot) Fit with a narrow heel and a wide toe (V shape)

>Keen: Got fat fuckin feet? Gotchu senpai. These fit like boats, which works great for some people. Lower build quality, but lower price point

1/2
>>
>>12268004
2/2

>Scarpa: Weird A shape (narrow toe with a wide heel). I don't know whose feet are shaped like this, but if they fit you, great. Great build quality, made in Romania (don't laugh)

>Oboz: Newer to the scene, uses an awesome insole (Super Feet) that doesn't break down with use like most foam ones do. Designed to fit the shape of an average foot. The Bridger is the best selling boot I have, especially for women. They are what Merrell was 10 years ago, but more on that in the bad

>Asolo, La Sportiva: Fit the same, build quality the same. Good boots from two well respected brands, both names carry a lot of weight. Both are pretty narrow, so size with caution

>Lowa: Wider boots, great quality, very comfortable. I don't deal Lowa, but have huge respect for the brand. I have never known a pair to let anyone down except in circumstances of extreme abuse

THE BAD:

>Merrell: Where do I start? Shit QC,shit materials (except the sole), shit construction from a company that lost it's roots. Their running shoes are just ok, and unless you're spending over $200 on a pair of boots just don't fucking bother. Pro: Pretty comfortable

>Hi-Tec: Unless you are in 8th grade and don't care about quality because you'll grow out of them in three months, stay the fuck away (also underage and b&). Worse build quality than Merrill by miles, shit materials, shit construction. Sure, they're cheaper, but you're loosing over half the lifespan to save like, $20. Pro: You aren't quite dumb enough tobuy walmart shoes

>Combat boots: Lumping most combat boots into this category (desert boots, jungle boots...). They do not support your feet, are hot, usually not waterproof, and made as cheaply as possible. If you trek in these you ABSOLUTELY will damage your knees, back, feet, and hips. Stay away unless you have to wear them, or you think they look cool and come from a country with socialized medicine.
>>
>>12268023
>>12268004
thanks for posting this, anon =)
>>
>>12268023
I ran out of space, sue me

Final Thoughts:

Danner makes good boots too, but I don't know enough about them or some of the other Euro brands posted in this thread to give an educated opinion. Meindl and Hanwag are both fine. Additionally, Adidas Outdoors is owned by the same people who own Salomon, so they fit about the same.

If you are on the trail in warm weather (60 degrees or more, day and night) for many days on end, I would buy a non waterproof boot or shoe. My preference is a stiff trail runner like the Salomon XA Pro 3D (In b4 Salomon Shill) that keeps you well supported, feet cool, and drys faster than something with a waterproof membrane. Two of my coworkers have done the Appalachian trail, and they both agree that there is no better way. One started in boots similar to >>12266951 and mailed them home at the first town and bought trail runners.

If it says waterproof on them, they're probably waterproof. BDry, MDry, GoreTex, EVent, and a bunch others are all waterproof. EVent breathes the best, but is fragile. Gore Industries has the patent on the one piece bootie, and Goretex is a little thiner than some other options. The name recognition makes shoes with gore tex more expensive though

If it is cold out (50 degrees or below) and there is a chance you will be wet or muddy, waterproof boots are your friend. Just remember, if they get wet they take fucking forever to dry.

I have to go to sleep because its 2 am and beer makes me tired, but I'll check the thread tomorrow and try to answer any questions you have.

TLDR: Get fitted for boots
>>
File: 1484455902284.jpg (134KB, 1100x680px) Image search: [Google]
1484455902284.jpg
134KB, 1100x680px
these bad boys
>>
>>12268023
>If it says waterproof on them, they're probably waterproof. BDry, MDry, GoreTex, EVent, and a bunch others are all waterproof. EVent breathes the best, but is fragile. Gore Industries has the patent on the one piece bootie, and Goretex is a little thiner than some other options. The name recognition makes shoes with gore tex more expensive though

I own oboz bridgers. not /fa/ but very practical. waterproofing is pretty solid.
>>
>>12268121
Want 2 cop
>>
>>12268121
borderline quality. I feel like that shoe is worth about $100
>>
File: 20160122205611.jpg (467KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
20160122205611.jpg
467KB, 1024x678px
Haglofs boi
>>
>>12265335
People who wear these not hiking or doing outdoor stuff are usually liberal nerds and fedoras.
>>
>>12270114
based haglof. Got a jacket of theirs cheap from tkmaxx, perfect for cycling
>>
File: pfft putin.jpg (57KB, 419x420px) Image search: [Google]
pfft putin.jpg
57KB, 419x420px
plebs
>>
File: 11680500_8152573_1000.jpg (82KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
11680500_8152573_1000.jpg
82KB, 1000x1334px
a la vintage mountaineer boots

rate like subscribe
>>
File: Hiker_Mocha_RO2.jpg (116KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
Hiker_Mocha_RO2.jpg
116KB, 1024x700px
>>
File: _9816080.jpg (55KB, 380x583px) Image search: [Google]
_9816080.jpg
55KB, 380x583px
>>12265335
>>
>>12270355
completely useless with those wedge soles
you'll slip, guaranteed
>>
>>12268146
bridges are the best selling boot at my store
>>
>>12270213
shit quality leather/10
>>
Would Austrian meme boots be adequate for hiking in terrain that isn't really extreme?
>>
File: IMG_3692.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3692.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>12265335
My danners are pretty effay
But if you actually go hiking aesthetic is less important than comfort/function/durability
buy La Sportivas if you want the best

>>12265777
Boost foam gets shredded to shit when used outdoors
>>12266517
>>12266497
>>12266790
>>12266831
>>12266951
>>12268004
>>12268121
>>12270114
These are all good options
>>12270180
Might as well hammer some iron nails through the sole to get those vintage effay crampons
>>
>>12270586
too heavy...its easy to make hiking boots rugged and supportive etc, the 'better' ones do all that stuff but feel like running shoes
>>
Getting a pair of these
http://forsake.com/products/mens-duck

Though im not planning on using them on things other than day-hikes.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.