[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I wash this jacket without ruining the color and DWR?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10

File: 05026cb64abae3a07fd6facfb65dd46c.jpg (152KB, 800x1063px) Image search: [Google]
05026cb64abae3a07fd6facfb65dd46c.jpg
152KB, 800x1063px
How do I wash this jacket without ruining the color and DWR?
I don't have a tumble dryer. Is ironing as efficient as tumble drying for reactivating DWR? How does washing affect the performance? Pls share your gore-tex washing experience.
>>
well what the fuck does it say on the tag moron
>>
>>12143876
Machine wash on warm cycle, no powder or fabric softener or shit like that, then let it dry (completely)
Iron the dry garment on gentle setting (warm, no steam), place a towel or cloth between the garment and the iron. This will help reactivate the DWR on outer layer
>>
>>12143877
it says "no ironing" and says nothing about reactivating the DWR.
Various guides say that you need to apply heat to reactivate DWR and advices to use a tumble dryer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GAmwwaJJM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4N6ZuKTZ_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8kBJLuedcg
http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/remote/Satellite?c=fabrics_cont_land_c&cid=1148660785964&pagename=goretex_en_GB%2Ffabrics_cont_land_c%2FWashingInstructionsLanding

>>12143885
Do you have any experience with using that method? How does it affect the performance?
>>
>>12143898
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GAmwwaJJM
>>
>>
>>12143898
Yes, I have an Adidas x Kazuki Lab Gore-tex jacket that I wash on 40°C, rinse with cold water, let it dry completely and then iron using a towel. DWR is still active, only retreated once.
>>
>>12143930
Thanks! That gives me some confidence
>>
>>12143876
>washing gore-tex
You don't or you fuck up the jacket
Just water if you absolutely have to
>>
>>12143950
> if you absolutely have to
pic related
>>
>>12143950
>>12143964
>>
>>12143964
>>12143970
Just get a sponge/cloth, get it wet with warm water and scrub lightly
If you NEED to add very little soap to the water and scrub the spots and have just plain water to scrub afterwards.
White clothes are like that unfortunately, washing gore-tex in the machine with detergent will destroy the properties of the shell.
>>
>>12143950
not washing fucks it up. dirt and oil clog it up and make it wet out. buy tech wash or use a small amount of pure detergent (no softener or other crap added to it.

seriously. not washing it will make the jacket perform worse over time.
>>
>>12143950
>>12144011
>>12144043
> washing will fuck it up
> not washing will fuck it up
Fuck. I already regret buying it
>>
>>
Why not just go to a laundromat?
>>
>>12143927
Id on pants, pls.
>>
>>12144440
acronym p10a-s
>>
File: dalai-lama-laugh.jpg (34KB, 483x322px) Image search: [Google]
dalai-lama-laugh.jpg
34KB, 483x322px
>>12144076
>fell for the techwear meme
>>
>>12144076
the white version is the best looking. just get wash in dwr for it.
>>
>>
>>12143876

Use a tech was like Granger's or Nikwax on a regular cycle. If you use a regular detergent, make sure it doesn't have fabric softener in it or it fucks up the Gore. Maybe do a double rinse cycle as well as some regular detergents leave a residue that can prevent your DWR coating from setting.

Once the cycle is done and while the jacket is still damp, put it on a hanger and use a spray on DWR like Granger's, Nikwax, or ReviveX. There are wash-in versions but I find this creates an uneven DWR coating. Sprays are better as you can focus on the higher wear areas like the hood, shoulders, upper chest, and cuffs and apply a few coatings. When you're doing spraying that jacket, throw it into the dryer on medium heat for 30-40 minutes depending on your dryer.
>>
>>12145079
thank you! that's really helpful
Which one do you prefer, Granger's or Nikwax?
>>
>>12145333

For tech wash, I've had best results with Granger's. I used to use their DWR spray as well but I think they changed their formula and it doesn't work as well as it used to.

I'm still trying to figure out if ReviveX (by Gear Aid) or Nikwax DWR is better. I've probably used the ReviveX spray a bit more so far since I've been able to find it easier.

And on another note, if the Gore-Tex ever fails on your jacket, they have a pretty solid warranty on the fabric itself. I wouldn't go back to Nike but contact Gore and they will sort you out for issues like delamination and leaky Gore-Tex (not wear and tear, staining, or wetting out).
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.