[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to school for "fashion design"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1431151909176.jpg (236KB, 691x625px) Image search: [Google]
1431151909176.jpg
236KB, 691x625px
I've done nothing for a few years after high school now, and I want to finally go to post-secondary.

Is going to school for "fashion design" a huge mistake? Has anyone on this board gone to school for fashion, or know people who have? From what I understand, you have to be very good at what you do, and even then you'll still need some luck to "do well".

It's one of the only things that interests me, and then of that small list, is one of the few that I could actually get a job pertaining to my potential degree. I'm too stupid for STEM, English and writing interest me but everyone knows majoring in those is a joke and waste of time. I feel like fashion could be a useless waste of time too, even if I enjoy it. Going to school for something for years and then not making a career out of it doesn't seem like a very good time.
>>
I have no experience with fashion design so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've heard it's a pretty demanding career, you need to have a great work ethic and a good understanding of math. Great taste is definitley a key attribute you need to have but it will take a huge amount of effort to actually succeed. Have you ever constructed a piece on your own?
>>
>>12043122
I can sew kind of OK, but I've never designed and put together an original piece before. I suppose that would be a decent place to start, see if I hate it.
>>
I'd never be able to make it but it does interest me
>>
>>12043132
Perhaps you could take up an apprenticeship with a seamstress, or a course outside of an institution and learn the fundamentals. It's all about technical stuff really. I think if you want to major in fashion design they'd want to see things you've made anyways.
>>
>>12043141
That's how I'm kind of feeling. I don't know if I will have the drive or confidence in myself to be able to do it, or, actually be successful.

>>12043150
There are a couple schools around me where they have pretty much an standard fashion design course (2 years?) and then you'd go to an actual fashion school after that. I'll check around to see if there are any just single courses I can take, because I don't want to pay multiple courses in a school if I end up not caring for it.
>>
>>12043122
XD
>>
Anyone else have some advice or experience?
>>
>>12043105
If you were any good at fashion, you wouldn't need school
>>
>>12044750
That's deep man.
>>
Unless you're going to FIT don't bother
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.