[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are antiperspirants dangerous in any way? I used to get this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: $_57.jpg (92KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
92KB, 1500x1500px
Are antiperspirants dangerous in any way?
I used to get this and liked it a lot but they stopped making it and I was wondering if it is not healthy to use one.
Not directly /fa/ but I think you will know more about it than other boards.
>>
>>12010611
Nothing to contribute but thinking of making the change from deodorant to antiperspirant so have a bump
>>
>>12010679
Makes a big difference. Especially those stressful times when you sweat more and the deodorant doesn't work after a few hours.
>>
Arm & Hammer has one for roughly $3. I switched to that after deodorant started giving me a rash :/
>>
>>12010805
op here. I got a FCUK deodorant stick from Boots and it is mediocre.
Isn't it better to get a bit more expensive stuff for things like that?
You put them on your skin for hours.
>>
No, all of the people claiming cancer or Alzheimer's from the aluminum are full of shit. Because the words "deodorant" and "antiperspirant" are incorrectly used interchangeably, let me clear up the difference:
Deodorants contain chemicals that kill odor-causing bacteria and fragrances to mask the smell, although most modern deodorants contain antiperspirant as well.
Plain antiperspirants contain chemicals that physically block the sweat pores, so you don't sweat, and odor-causing bacteria cannot feed.
Deodorants will help you if you are already stinky, but antiperspirants need to be applied immediately after you shower to be completely effective.
Personally, I used an unscented antiperspirant in an aerosol form, because it is easy to apply and it doesn't make my armpits greasy like gel/stick deodorants.
Just look up Right Guard 3D unscented spray.
Antiperspirants, even if they are in gel/stick form, tend to be dryer than deodorants, because deodorants have to "stick around" to kill the bacteria.
Unfortunately, most products are marketed as both antiperspirants and deodorants, even if they only contain one.
The best way to know if you have an antiperspirant is to check the active ingredients, it should only contain aluminum chlorohydrate or something similar.
>>
>>12010857
This is great and helps a lot. The blocking of the pores doesn't sound as healthy as the bacteria killing but antiperspirants work better.
Maybe I should try the spray form too.
Bear with this disgusting issue now but, could you use the spray for swamp ass? The sticks work.
>>
>>12010875
I've never tried it for that purpose, but it should work anywhere that you sweat. There's nothing unhealthy about blocking the pores, and it washes away easily with soap and water in the shower.
>>
>>12010886
I mean, the way I think about it is that the body for reasons needs to sweat and cool while you block that with those aluminium salts.
>>
>>12010897
If you really want to sweat then don't use anything. Your deodorant likely contains antiperspirant now anyway.
>>
>>12010908
I am just saying, pondering the physiology/biology of the matter. I don't want to sweat. Or I don't want to smell. I have noticed that when I am relaxed mentally and sweat it doesn't have any odors. When I am stressed I sweat something foul.
>>
>>12010857
>No, all of the people claiming cancer or Alzheimer's from the aluminum are full of shit.
Pharmafag here. The aluminium problem in some antiperspirants is real.

If you're using an antiperspirants on unaffected skin, it's not really an issue. The problem is that girls usually shave their armpits, which results in a fragile skin. Aluminium ions can then get inside the bloodstream; high levels of aluminium in the bloodstream has been associated with increased risk of getting Alzheimer's.
>>
>>12011675
op here. That's why I heard about connection with breast cancer and antiperspirants.
So maybe it's ok, but be cautious if your skin has any troubles like cracking.
>>
>>12011675
>high levels of aluminium in the bloodstream has been associated with increased risk of getting Alzheimer's
I know that a few studies from the 60s concluded so, but everything well conducted since then has found no link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. As somebody who shaves his armpits and uses antiperspirant, I'm genuinely interested if you know of any modern studies that link aluminum and any serious conditions.
>>
>>12012243
>As somebody who shaves his armpits
For what purpose
>>
>>12012266
Don't like having hairy armpits.
>>
>>12012287
haha faggot
>>
>>12012299
Says the guy on a fashion board.
>>
>>12012287
>>12012306
I shave mine for the same reason, they also soak up less sweat. Smelly armpits are definitely not /fa/.
>>
>>12011688
>>12012243
The problem is that even researchers themselves can't agree on if it's bad or not. Caution is warranted though.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24418462
>Since aluminium (Al) pervades our environment, the scientific community has for many years raised concerns regarding its safety in humans. Al is present in numerous cosmetics such as antiperspirants, lipsticks and sunscreens. Al chlorohydrate is the active antiperspirant agent in underarm cosmetics and may constitute for Al a key exposure route to the human body and a potential source of damage. An in vitro study has demonstrated that Al from antiperspirant can be absorbed through viable human stripped skin. The potential toxicity of Al has been clearly shown and recent works convincingly argue that Al could be involved in cancerogenic processes. Nowadays, for example, Al is suspected of being involved in breast cancer. Recent work in cells in culture has lent credence to the hypothesis that this metal could accumulate in the mammary gland and selectively interfere with the biological properties of breast epithelial cells, thereby promoting a cascade of alterations reminiscent of the early phases of malignant transformation. In addition, several studies suggest that the presence of Al in human breast could influence metastatic process. As a consequence, given that the toxicity of Al has been widely recognized and that it is not a physiological component in human tissues, reducing the concentration of this metal in antiperspirants is a matter of urgency

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27755864
>Our comprehensive search has identified an insufficient number of studies to conduct a quantitative review and obtain reliable results. Further prospective studies are strongly needed.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.