[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MAKE /FA/ AVANT GARDE AGAIN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (141KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 600x900px
What happened to /ROG/ and the Japanese designers thread?
>>
>>11782835
they all stopped getting made because it was probably getting annoying having to come back to this board every day and seeing that there were either noone commenting in the threads or that the ones that were commenting were just trolls.

I actually miss the /ROG/ generals myself
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 684x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 684x1024px
>>11782899
That's sad. There's way too much newfag fuccbois on the board now :, (

2012 - 13 was really the peak of /fa/
>>
>>11782932
nope 2011 - 12 was man
>>
we should make a thread on /qa/ requesting the splitting of /fa/ into /fa/ and /clo/
/fa/ = discussion of brands, runway shows, other things relating to proper fashion
/clo/ = 4chan version of mfa, aiming to dress nicely but not related to fashion itself
>>
File: cdgh.jpg (101KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cdgh.jpg
101KB, 800x1200px
can someone be my avant garde sugar daddy and buy me these pants
>>
>>11783076
nah man, 2010-11
>>
>>11783101
That would fail just as hard as people that want a /kor/ so that kpg could have its own board and stop shitting up /mu/
>>
>>11782835
Bring it back and start the discussion.
Be the /fa/ you want it to be.
>>
>>11783104
sent ;)
>>
>>11783111
no, koreabooism is limited to a handful of things, most of which can be discussed in /trv/ or /int/
current /fa/ mostly consists of the sort of people who would post on /clo/ were it to be made a board
>>
Adidas generals is the only general this board needs
>>
>>11783101
i kinda like that idea but what we really need is mods
>>
>>11783107
2010-2011 was when bateman was considered a good trip and the apex of fashion discussion here consisted of infographics about boot care
>>
Where did all the actual /fa/ people go? It was interesting to see their discussion
>>
>>11783195
instagram
>>
>>11782835
dont even try lad. i've tried too many times with different generals and its all gone to shit. let it be shit. accept it for what it is

>>11783104
imo, the only fw11 items that are worth it are the boiled poly blazers because of the venting and increased length compared to prev seasons as it gives it that tailcoat-blazer hybrid look. also, dont forget the plus at the end
>>
>>11783161
Mods can only do so much. Posters themselves have a responsibility too.

>>11783132
Do you think that there are enough people to sustain the new /fa/? I doubt many people here have knowledge to say something sensible about, for example, the new gucci SS17.
>>
>>11783453
Slow boards are in general better than fast boards. I would rather have a very slow board with no shitposting and an average age of 18 or greater than this abomination of a 'fashion' forum.
>>
>>11783453
you're gucciposter aren't you
ily

anyway attention could be brought to /fa/ by having a stickied link to it on the /clo/ board and recommendations by users of /fa/ to new posters. responsible moderation and reporting would be necessary to keep shitposting out ofc
it would need a dedicated userbase of educated people in order to make the board grow though- i do think that we have enough here, perhaps fifty posters or so? it'd be slow but i def agree with >>11783467

in short, i'm for it provisionally.
>>
>>11782899
Actually we just made a discord server to talk. It's much easier
>>
>>11783476
No, I'm not Gucci poster (did that guy also made those big posts about his inspo in one of your threads?). Although I'd like to see it how it turns out. Hiro did say there has to be 'consensus' on the issue (>>687788).

Wouldn't /clo/ (WAWYT, fuccboi, facerate, etc.) be a part of /soc/?
>>
>>11783501
>>>/qa/687788
>>
>>11783501
it could be considered such but /soc/ is pretty fucking shit and i'd rather give a new board than consign them to that terrible fate
>>
File: d3511.jpg (30KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
d3511.jpg
30KB, 480x480px
Cop or not? I'm not sure if I could pull it off, though I like how it looks.
>>
>>11783453
perhaps i can try by saying that gucci does vintage and old in a very bad way. the people who enjoy gucci are the same people who enjoy slp because they principally do the same things. i call these people vogue-types. it seems that the best way to appease vogue-types nowadays is to fetishize a past decade that wasnt even too good to begin with and "improve" on it by simply cranking up its -isms to a hundred.

what is old can be made new and exciting. see designers like dries, yohji, miyashita, etc. however, compared to alessandro or slimane who do this faux-vintage cranked up to a hundred shtick, they are much more subtle and vary their inspirations. hedi is perpetually stuck in the 80s-90s and alessandro seems to be in the 60s-70s. and that is the problem with vogue-types. they can only appreciate what is slapped to their faces multiple times. perhaps its due to the fact that these people only view collections online thus cant see or feel the finer details of the work (as clothing is as much about the touch as it is the sight) or our rapidly decreasing attention span which calls for ever flashier clothing. whats even worse is that vogue-types will rave over a certain thing a modern designer does when a designer not in their era did something very similar, with some doing it not too long ago. vogue-types are largely ignorant of the history of fashion before them and most get interested in it to flex or seem cultured. thats why they tend towards shows that look towards a certain era as they think that seeing a designer design a 90s-inspired collection is the same as viewing a collection in the 90s. it doubles as them staying up to date and also seemingly being knowledgeable about the clothes of the past. theres more ego-stroking this way but less actual knowledge at the end of the day.

but who knows? maybe im just wrong about everything i just said (and i do mean that in the most sincere way possible).
>>
>>11783525
DNC
>>
>>11783076
>>11783107
That was literally the time we had an /mfa phase of pea coats, hy and workwear and the occasional goofninja thread you faggots. Nobody is gonna think you're a cool oldfag by pretending to know shit.
>>
>>11783559
michele is a genius

you kinda have a point about a lot of these consumerist 'vogue-types' as you put it though
>>
>>11783699
this

2010 /fa/ was just recovering from its tripfag plague and hedi slimane obsession and 2011 /fa/ was full on #menswear #pittiuomo bullshit, except everyone just aped sartorialist looks with h&m rags and spent their mums credit cards on iron rangers

/fa/ didnt get good until the dadcore spammer killed dadcore in 2012 and the avant trips filled the subsequent vacuum with substantive fashion discussion and tricky rick. 2013 was a shitshow at times but at least everyone made an earnest effort to talk about fashion
>>
>>11783215
What are some of theirs to follow
>>
File: 2394089458633.jpg (54KB, 744x600px) Image search: [Google]
2394089458633.jpg
54KB, 744x600px
>>11782899
they moved the entire general to discord. really big mistake since they didnt keep a general thread on /fa/ at the same time like every other general does.
even if they did now, i wouldnt go back
>>
>>11783681
Skipped, thanks.
>>
The problem is stated, but what's the solution?
>>
>>11784226
Separation of the board is mentioned.
>>
>>11783559
I think that there are people who understand your criticisms but like it anyway for different reasons.

I think a lot of the time people feel superior to the designers without actually understanding why they choose to make decision in the first place.
>>
>>11784514
well then they should speak out on why they like it. i genuinely want to know why people like stuff i dont like since it helps both of us know more about taste and beauty in general. as i said earlier, i may be totally wrong about all my criticisms
>>
>>11784882
Its going to be hard for you to have an open discussion when you begin by labeling the people who you claim to want to know more about as hypebeasts who can't appreciate "the finer details of the work". It just says to me that you are part of an equally large group of special snowflake types who fetishize conceptualism.
>>
>>11785000
You're doing the same thing!
>>
>>11785086
I know, that was the point.

But on topic, some words from Hedi Slimane on his transition between the early 00s and his return to Saint Laurent.

>I was just doing other creative projects for many years other than design, and I observed fashion shifting toward a sense of abstraction. There was also simultaneously this global evolution toward “Everything contemporary.“

>The digital shift in architecture that occurred in the early ‘00s, but also in furniture design, illustrator or 3D fashion design, the explosion of the contemporary art scene and collector frenzy started to feel generic. I lost interest for everything “contemporary” or vaguely conceptual-related around 2007 (which does not mean I don’t follow interesting things happening along those lines today, it is a general concern).

>I felt there was a need to move forward to something “post-contemporary,” so to speak, escaping a picture-perfect-puritan area. Something like what came after the influence of Space Age in the late 60s. The shift was rather on the street, a gap of generations.

>My change of perspective happened through photography at first, going back to a sense of reality, unprocessed, and developed to all things designed and/or artistic.

>Everything around us looked like it was coming out of a freezer. Do I still want a contemporary home, a techno fabric design sofa, and a conglomerate art gallery painting on my wall, acquired at an international art fair? This sleek reflective world had become extremely normative, a safe language and a conventional commodity.

>The early ‘00s were long gone and I felt disconnected to something that for me looked somehow from the past, even if I had been active, excited, and part of this movement at the time.

>I would now rather explore an analog world, that could bypass the botoxed-digital revolution, an alternative aesthetic that feels emotional, moving and warm, slightly wrong or chaotic at times. Anything but a deadly digital flat screen world.
>>
>>11783559

Yes, you are wrong about everything you just said.

Your critique is more of an attempt to elevate yourself above others that is largely a projected image in the first place, more than it is a critique of the work and its place in the zeitgeist today.

You are at the phase of "having moved past mainstream fashions", I can totally tell because >muh yohji takahiro, when in reality the people who understand and appreciate gucci are actually on spectrums beyond your awareness. They are actually aware of history, the classics, timeless style, and a wide range of cultural references, that YOU are not aware of because you have been so quick to position yourself as rejecting "vogue". You will only understand what I'm saying when you have come around full circle and realize that your identity in fashion is just as, if not more shallow than the projections of the "vogue types".

You are only aware of like 2% of fashion and are convinced that you are an arbiter of "true" good taste, when in reality you're stuck in your own trap.

TLDR you're just hating because you're insecure, critiquing for the sake of "well, ***I*** actually think, contrary to ***THE MASSES***,". Do you really think that you have enough awareness about fashion to critique the industry that actually produces it and allows for / is the foundation of your entire fashion ego?
>>
>>11783559

Yeah pretty much >>11785000 hit the nail on the head

You're literally in high fashion equivalent of fedora phase
>>
This thread gives me hope for /fa/.
>>
>>11783559

>past decade that wasnt even too good

Precisely symptomatic of someone who is hopelessly oblivious to fashion in relation to the zeitgeist. It is only when you are able to evaluate things with the appropriate context and significance in that context that you are able to see beyond your narrow scope. What was "good" then? Are you sure you're actually knowledgeable of these past eras and their cultural references, rather than a few elements in your mind that you vaguely refer to as being "totally 60s / 70s"? Do you know the provenance and evolution of such elements?

>cant see or feel the finer details of the work

OR maybe most people don't want to wear all black loose fit shit. Seriously, how delusional do you have to be to not realize that 99% of people don't want to dress like that, even if they do like how it looks? You sound so deeply immersed in internet fashion and detached from the real world. I love Yohji and have owned a ton of it over the years, and I've made my own clothes so I know how mind blowingly hard it is, but I don't sit there circle jerking online about "MUH DETAILS". I notice them and think, "wow, how clever" but also acknowledge that at the end of the day I'm going to throw it on and go do whatever the fuck I do with my life and forget about it. Are you sure your liking for "details" is actually about the experience of wearing the garment rather than it is some fedora-tier positioning of "***I*** AM ABLE TO APPRECIATE IT ***MORE*** THAN ***MAINSTREAM**** PEOPLE"?
>>
im glad that were getting a discussion going here

>>11785000
it was only a way to incite discussion. taste cant be discussed without bringing your own conception of it. also, i never labelled them as hypebeasts. i used a new word as i know that gucci buyers are different hypebeasts

notice also how i used "perhaps" rather liberally, never claiming and bordering on speculation. again, to incite discussion since this thread wants to see some

>>11785125
im very much aware of my own ignorance, anon. see the end of my post. also, i never claimed that i have good taste. i just shared what i like not necessarily what is good

i never claimed to move past the mainstream too. claiming to do so is thinking that i exist in a vacuum which is demonstrably wrong

also, since when are the designers i mentioned part of a super secret non-mainstream club? most have their collections posted on vogue which is as mainstream as fashion goes

i would also love for you to elaborate the references its making. while i dont think referencing things or incorporating what is "classic" or "timeless" makes something in fashion good, it could certainly help me achieve a more nuanced understanding of gucci and maybe taste in general. all i want is discussion
>>
>>11783559

And have you been watching the progression of fashion and culture in general in recent years to be able to understand WHY some elements from the past are returning to relevancy today so powerfully? Do you honestly believe that SLP and Gucci are nothing but a massive farce, and people only like it because fashion insiders "decide" that it is "in vogue" repeatedly until the rest are "forced" to agree? If so, you are painfully out of touch with reality and the industry, all you know is how to critique how things look (again, very symptomatic of people whose engagement with fashion begins and ends with looking at pictures and critiquing it to make themselves feel knowledgeable about fashion), and not what the product does for consumers, what the message adds to the cultural dialogue, etc.

>flashier clothing

This is how I know exactly you don't know shit. Yeah dude, the only reason Gucci is so hot right now is because sheeple just want to stand out man!!! lol those people have no substance they just like cool clothes lol man what a joke!!!

Why don't you think about where fashion has been in the last 5 years, having become a painfully predictable compromise for "minimalism". The pendulum has been swinging back in recent years, the spirit was there, Alessandro just happened to champion the movement in a spectacular and unapologetic, but inclusive and welcoming way.

>rave over a certain thing a modern designer does when a designer not in their era did something very similar, with some doing it not too long ago

This to me just sounds again like you're bitter because PLEBS DONT KNOW HELMUT LANG DID STRAPS AND BOMBERS FIRST
>>
I think it's clear anon was a bit wrong.
>>
>>11783559

>largely ignorant of the history of fashion

Exact same could be said about you, there are way more levels and you're not aware of it. Look man, I completely understand some of what you might mean when you say "vogue types" but you gotta also understand that a good chunk of the people you think are "vogue types" are also knowledgeable as fuck, and that it is you who isn't able to appreciate it because you have never started with the basics, you quickly rejected it without giving it a thorough look in favour of "the anti". Those people have come around full circle and have lapped you but you are not aware of it.

>most get interested in it to flex or seem cultured

Dangerously bordering on projection

>they think that seeing a designer design a 90s-inspired collection is the same as viewing a collection in the 90s

That's the entire fucking POINT of fashion, you draw from the past and you update it / modernize / remix to be relevant today, not sure what you're trying to say with this

>theres more ego-stroking this way but less actual knowledge at the end of the day.

Yep projection
>>
>>11785120
Link to this interview or whatever?
>>
>>11785222
i dont follow lang or claim to know anything about his work. you're projecting the /fa/ intellectual stereotype to me and critiquing me for claims i never even closely said when i never claimed to be one

>>11785237
saying that the point of fashion is to revalatize the old clothing-wise seems to be somewhat misguided. isnt a more pressing point of it to clothe? i do agree that rehashing is an integral part of fashion but that seems to be more of a qualitative statement of it rather than it as a thing-in-itself

please also dont ignore my last paragraph on the original post. saying that im projecting is implying that i sincerely believe in everything i typed there when its more like me pushing my current beliefs to its absolute maximum
>>
>>11783487
link?
>>
>>11785265
https://www.yahoo.com/style/exclusive-hedi-slimane-on-saint-laurents-126446645943.html

Enjoy, it is quite long but a really good read.
>>
>>11783503
/fa/ is in disarray.
>>
>>11785120
>>11785184
>>11785309
Are you the guy that made the "fashion designer AMA" a while ago?

>>11785199
Thanks for starting the discussion, for real.
You seem pretty open-minded, so that's good.
>>
>>11785199
>also, i never labelled them as hypebeasts

Well the way you described your vogue-type lines up with what I would consider a hypebeast. I also think you described that group of people very well. However your vogue-types will always exist no matter the zeitgeist, they aren't a product of "post-contemporary" fashion.
>>
>>11785309
post email, i'll send you a link
>>
>>11785951
bump
>>
>>11783104
damn w2c
>>
>>11785951
[email protected]
>>
>>11782835
w2c??
>>
>>11787283
Blackmeans
>>
>>11783362
The pants from that season are really good(not the ones the guy posted though) also one of the coats is amazing
>>
>>11783476
You realize multiple people like gucci right?
>>
>>11782835
this jacket reminds me of the dogs in undertale
>>
>>11785951
>>11787024
bump
>>
does anyone on the /rog/ and the japanese designers have a link to the fa restoration project discord?
I was afk for like a month and wished to contribute.
>>
>>11789197
l'this
>>
>>11783525
W2c
>>
>>11787024
lol
>>
File: 14697532[1].jpg (37KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
14697532[1].jpg
37KB, 450x450px
>>11783104
Close enough

http://www.target.com/p/-/A-14743570
>>
>>11783699
>>11783179
someone didn't get the joke again
>>
What's left to bump?
>>
>>11790676
Change, we need a change in this board
>>
>>11790690
There have been numerous meta/improvement threads that proved to be fruitless. That's mainly due to lack of interest.

Don't hang around here.
>>
bumpo
>>
Seriously though, what the hell happened?

There has been a vast increase of threads about hype shit, teen skate shit, sneakers and muh hiphop taste makers.

I just want to remind you, collecting sneakers does not grant you some deeper understanding of fashion; in turn, it makes you a mindless consumer drone who has no business posting here. If you see these threads, sage and direct people to r/streetwear; do not engage in any other way.

This is more than just re-embracing Rick and Japanese designers. Discussion must be fostered around established European houses.
Gucci, Giorgio/Emporio Armani, Dior and more. They're all putting out cool shit recently
>>
>>11791067
>If you see these threads, sage and direct people to r/streetwear; do not engage in any other way.

I agree with this
>>
>>11791067
this

teenager hype shit, hip hop marketing scheme garbage and sneaker culture needs to be relegated to a general on /soc/.
>>
Who of you comes here with the intention of discussion?
>>
>>11794137
I do, but Ive been sticking to making and bumping the skincare thread since my attempts at any runway discussion on here has been limited at best.
>>
>>11794144
If you really want to have discussion then tie in all designer discussion into /runway/ like before. The only thing is that like any thread in /fa/ that tries to have a serious discussion, it doesn't last.
>>
>>11785222
well desu a very large portion of people buying brands like gucci or balmain or whatever are doing it for the name, regardless of whether it's good or not. same goes for a lot of these vogueish brands. that said, there's tons of fuccbois in rick and raf because rocky mentioned them once, again, just for the name. i think the people who consider stuff like yohji or cdg or the soloist or w/e to be objectively better than all of these other brands are just as in the dark as someone wearing vetements unironically. they only think it's good because because people they don't like don't wear it, not because of any objective standard

that's not to say there aren't people who prefer the low-key japanese shit mostly from an aesthetic perspective but can still appreciate what the hype brands are doing. i don't think it'll ever be entirely possible to completely separate art from public perception of that art (hell that's pretty much the entire reason i hate biker jeans), but i do think that's the best way to look at it

basically fuck societal connotations. lots of stuff is cool for lots of reasons, and if u like something u should wear it

>>11785237
>you draw from the past and you update it / modernize / remix to be relevant today

unless ur gareth pugh lol

>>11785951
[email protected]

somehow that throwaway wasn't taken lmao
>>
>>11794283
Yeah, I will.
Might make a sticky for the FWs.
>>
>>11795906
Pls do anon, thanks.
>>
File: 1C2A8860.jpg (664KB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1C2A8860.jpg
664KB, 1100x1650px
What is the best brand for interesting shirts in the same vein as >>11783525? CDG H+/CDG Shirt? Happy to buy second hand as Im aiming for the cheaper end that are easier to wear.
>>
>>11795906
What will the sticky deal with?
Where to find them?
How to appreciate runaway shows?
>>
Here is the link to ROG discord.

https://discord.gg/9TNPV9k
>>
>>11796378
Junya, Rebuild by Needles, Kapital
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 810x1215px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 810x1215px
>>
File: 1439934385193.jpg (95KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1439934385193.jpg
95KB, 600x900px
>>
bumpan to the limit yooooo
>>
>>11783076
>>
>>11784476
yet again?
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.