[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Objectively, what's wrong with pop punk, skater punk, emo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 1.jpg (197KB, 736x1476px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
197KB, 736x1476px
Objectively, what's wrong with pop punk, skater punk, emo style? It's less ridiculous than Rick shit, less mainstream these days than Yeezy and hip hop influenced styles. It's not hipster shit or even post ironic. It's so commonly shit on despite being generally out of fashion for a while now. Is it just disliked because there was so much of it in the late 90s and early 2000s?

What's really wrong with it? Honestly.
>>
IT'S FUCKING JUVENILE
>>
please fuck off this board and never come back
>>
File: 11.jpg (47KB, 380x570px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
47KB, 380x570px
>>11390915
>>11390916
Awfully closed minded.

Are you saying that wearing a pair of Yeezys or being a goof ninja isn't juvenile and shitty? Because if so... I have bad news for you.
>>
File: 111.png (244KB, 600x415px) Image search: [Google]
111.png
244KB, 600x415px
>>
File: Boardjo333.jpg (79KB, 398x599px) Image search: [Google]
Boardjo333.jpg
79KB, 398x599px
>>
File: screen-capture-1.png (325KB, 302x495px) Image search: [Google]
screen-capture-1.png
325KB, 302x495px
>>
>>11390920
no im not saying that, im saying this is awfully bad and so it your taste
please fuck off
>>
File: agfdd.jpg (17KB, 236x330px) Image search: [Google]
agfdd.jpg
17KB, 236x330px
>>11390939
What makes it worse than any other style? You do realize that the grunge look that's so commonly praised on this board was considered juvenile and stupid by standards years ago? It's highly likely that this board (if it's around) will one day praise skater/emo fashion when it finally comes around again. There's really nothing thats "awfully bad" about it, it's just you think so because you assume this board has actually taught you something about fashion when in fact it probably just makes you go out in public dressed like a fool compared to normal people.
>>
>>11390920
bruh if you're gonna use the close minded card
at least don't be shitting on other styles in the exact same way in your next sentence
>>
>>11390960
If you reread you'll see that I never claimed than the skater style was superior just that other styles are equally as shit. Fashion is subjective, naturally.
>>
>>11390951
its boring, uninteresting, overdone, etc etc.
this is a fashion board so as you can imagine we like things beyond surface level, we like fashion that is unique, well designed and made, plays with the conventions of fashion
this is the equivalent to cookie cutter pop music
for me and a percentage of other people on this board, we dont care what normal people are wearing or what they think of what we wear, fashion is a niche, its not for everyone
but for someone to wear this kind of clothing and to be interested in fashion is kind of mutually exclusive
who knows, maybe one day this will become worn ironically by teenagers on here like all of the other normcore etc garbage, that still wont make it good
>>
>>11390964
no one claimed a style was superior to 'the skater style' either? pretty sure you're the only one claiming superiority
>It's less ridiculous than Rick shit, less mainstream these days than Yeezy and hip hop influenced styles
>>
>>11390965
Well thought out points. I think you're wrong on the front of being invested in fashion and this style are mutually exclusive because this is a style of fashion. You seem to be interested in high fashion which, let's be honest, seems to be the kind of person that's quickly becoming the minority on this board. If high fashion is your thing, I could understand your lack of interest and general dislike of this style but the people who are into normcore, grunge and hip hop fashion on this board and disavow skater/emo is just laughable since they're in the same league.
>>
bump because fuck niggers and these white fuccbois who try hard to be niggers
>>
>>11390914
I came up in the "punk" scene for that last decade, so I've seen and a been a part of the whole pop punk/emo/hardcore thing. Most of these kids think that they're being really unique with their fashion choices because they're dressing slightly differently from normies. The whole tight black jeans thing went mainstream a few years ago so now its not really a fashion statement anymore to dress like a twink.

Right now the trust fund emo-indie punk kids that go to college are sort of annexing the slacker core look which is pretty accepted here. Which is kinda mind boggling.

It think a lot of the hate stems from the fact that dressing like a scene kid usually took some sort of effort, with all the hair straightening and searching for that perfect metal-core t shirt. Now its way cooler to try and look disheveled and cheap while ironically spend more time doing so.

At uni I'm surrounded by the fundie sjw types with rich parents and holes in their jeans, wearing thrift shit with new iphones. This is now punk.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>11390964
>Fashion is subjective

Opinion discarded you have no idea what you're talking about, take a class on semiotics or something
>>
>>11390914
>>11391610

I forgot to add, scene girls are still GOAT
>>
>>11390914
Because the term "pop punk" is an oxymoron, so the whole culture of pop punk is inherently disingenuous. Punk was all about going against the grain and defying social norms. Once it started becoming popular, it became pop punk and the music essentially became pop music but sung with a whineyer tone and with more distorted guitar by guys who just graduated college that their parents paid for. What used to be a gritty statement saying "fuck you" to the system has become a safe option for special snowflakes to express their "individuality" without the risk of being social outcasts. I've never been a fan of punk or pop punk culture, but at least original punk culture was genuine.

>>11390915 also, this. It's fucking juvenile as hell, anyone over the age of 16 should be able to see how goofy it is.
>>
>>11390914
>>11390920
>>11390923
>>11390951

Get rid of the skateboards and band logos on the t-shirts and it is the definition of hipster shit. Pop punk is the most bland, generic music there is. It follows the exact same formula as all other pop music, shitty 4chord, repetitive catchy chorus, cookie cutter shit tier music but louder. Pop punk is for average nonthreatening white kids who can't think for themselves who want to feel like they're not average nonthreatening white kids who can't think for themselves, basically the definition of hipster trash, but even less original.

>It's not hipster shit
>>
Looking like an adult is crucial if you want to be taking seriously by anyone important ever.

if you're not living an adult lifestyle, then this /fa/ is probably a good trend to get into.

if you're 25+ and wanting to move forward in this world, there are better ways to communicate your self-assumed "laid back" style.
>>
>>11392273
>Because the term "pop punk" is an oxymoron the whole culture of pop punk is inherently disingenuous
wut

>that their parents paid for
not ALL plebs are privileged spoiled babies, remember. my inner tumblr and my inner homeless 16-year-old is refreshed to see this prejudice against privileged people however.

>the entire post
yes haha eventually most art forms either die or are adopted by society. yes that does mean they change over time. what art was once one's edgy self-expression low-key activist offensive statements about one's sensible but unconventional values will either be censored or not understood and then left in the dust, or elevated to the esteemed position in society that the original message is lost.

I don't believe this means the surviving form of the artistic statement is unworthy however. it's still a solid look. all fashion, though powerful and widely shared, comes from arbitrary places and if UGGS or chucks can be used by people who like those things and what they think it communicates about themselves in current-day society then Punk is also fair game.
>>
>>11392339
>>Because the term "pop punk" is an oxymoron the whole culture of pop punk is inherently disingenuous
>wut
what dont you understand about this statement in particular?
>>
>>11392339
>wut
punk was never meant to be popular, pop punk is the result of punk going mainstream and losing all value to become a commercial entity

>>11392339
>not ALL plebs are privileged spoiled babies,
at least 90% of all pop punk plebs today are privileged babies playing dress up. Everyone who is into pop punk right now would be uncomfortable in the punk scene of the 80s and early 90s.

>all this other nonsense
This is a lot of typing for you to rationalize your reluctancy to outgrow your childish trend, also, nobody is saying ugg boots and chucks are /fa/, they're just popular, just like POP punk. It's popular, it's bland, it's unoriginal in 2016, it's generally looked down upon by everyone, it's simply not effay, deal with it.
>>
>>11390951
>skate/emo fashion
emo music is dead and skateboarders don't dress like this
>>
>>11392374
run for cover is doing alright for themselves
>>
I wanted to roll my eyes and keep browsing but OK bras here it is

>>11392355
>in particular
the word danger. OH NO IT'S POPULAR NOW AVOID AT ALL COSTS BEFORE IT KILLS US ALL!!!

>>11392362
>90%
where i live it's like, 30%. most pop punkers are knocked up and ditched mothers (or soon to be) and from single parent families or nuro-atypical anime hipsters who got food and shelter until they were 17-21 but worked for everything other than that that. there's also a good sprinkle of alternative painters and musicians i-don't-even-know-what-to-call-them who are into the party/rave and the local music scenes and mash pop-punk with otherwise /fa/ aesthetics (and memes) seamlessly.

>your reluctancy to outgrow your childish trend
i'm not punk AT ALL but if you were going for "bad and petty attempt to make this personal while making myself look like a middle schooling psudo-intellect with no chill and no maturity" chic then mission accomplished

>nobody is saying ugg boots and chucks are /fa/
yes, literally no one is saying that.

>just like POP punk
>POP!!!!!!!!!
>I SAID !!!POP!!!, POP JACKOBSONS! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!?!
lel chill. popular things aren't trying to kill you. you know what else is popular in the meanstream? half the trends on /fa/. I don't know where you got the idea the two qualities are mutually exclusive.

>deal with it.
so much personal. please chill.
>>
>>11392424
oh wait a minute. revision. the poster i just ">>'ed" is me.

>>11392273
>I do not like punk (on me or at all) personally, i still want to think of myself as /fa/, therefor punk CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE /FA/ EVER BECAUSE I AM /FA/ AND I AM NOT PUNK

ok that's cool. i mean /fa/ has lots of trends and aesthetics and even the /fa/est of us all can't (and wouldn't) subscribe to all of them.
>>
Ok bras now lets all join hands and unshaved legs in a meditative circle of chill and not aggressively hating anything but hatred and reach Nirvana
Uoooooooooooooooooom~ Uoooooooooooooooooom~
>>
>>11392424
It's not bad because it's popular, it's bad because it's popular while trying to be this "alternative" lifestyle when it isn't anymore. It's a hijacked movement that everyone knows sucks except the people who are part of it. Idk how many times I can say that and if you can't get why pretending to be something you aren't will never be /fa/, then you're on the wrong board.

>yes, literally no one is saying that
you implied it when you said
>if UGGS or chucks can be used by people who like those things and what they think it communicates about themselves in current-day society then punk is also fair game.

You CAN use uggs and punk and whatever else to communicate whatever about yourself, it doesn't mean anyone is going to LIKE what you're communicating. You asked what's wrong with punk and I, and multiple other people in this thread explained to you everything that is wrong with punk and then you decided to take it personally and try to flip your embarrassment on me. You're on /fa/, asking why pop punk is shit on by everyone for being shit and I explained it, so deal with the fact that pop punk is shit. I only assumed you were into pop punk since you're defending it so vehemently.
>>
>>11392424
>>11392437
lol I just realized you responded to me twice pretending to be 2 different people.

>taking posts on a fashion board on an anonymous japanese comic book forum this personally

I understand everything now, keep dressing like a manchild and have fun being butt blasted that you didn't get your way in this thread.
>>
>>11392540
:I k m8
>>
>>11390920
is that jon snow
>>
>>11390926
>mallgrabbing
>>
>>11391610
>At uni I'm surrounded by the fundie sjw types with rich parents and holes in their jeans, wearing thrift shit with new iphones. This is now punk.

holy shit this. the ripped up, cuffed, light-wash straight-leg jeans are like worn by every fuckin art student at my university. makes me puke, honestly. At least "the scene" didn't take itself so goddamn seriously.
>>
File: 1431461399169.jpg (35KB, 290x319px) Image search: [Google]
1431461399169.jpg
35KB, 290x319px
>Pop-punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9gvb2z1gCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R9h0mCxjoE
>>
you know why it sucks? is based on a wanna be. skaters and punks wear clothes worn off because of the age of the clothes, because is meant to be resistant and comfy not because some designer cutted a knee and put a $500 price on it.
>>
>>11392670
Pop punk is the worst.
>>
>>11391610
Pretty much this. Dressing like a scene kid or emo kid now would actually be going against the grain and standing out.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.