[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /fa/'s opinion on raw/selvedge denim? I have not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 17

File: selvedge.jpg (55KB, 750x399px) Image search: [Google]
selvedge.jpg
55KB, 750x399px
What is /fa/'s opinion on raw/selvedge denim? I have not seen it discussed very much
>>
>>11267538
Raw is the best way to buy jeans. If you want them faded, do it yourself.
>>
/fa/ hates it because reddit likes (or at least) liked it. Personally I prefer pre washed denim.
>>
>>11267541
where are you getting yours and what fit? I wear raws but I also don't really dress like you guys, and feel like they're a little too "americana" for this board
>>
it's a meme but not because of the whole muh mfa shit

selvage denim just means the fabric itself is smaller in width, so the manufacturer has to use more fabric to make the pants, making them more expensive
the selvage is stronger, but it doesn't matter if the jeans are going to be flat felled on the side seam regardless

raw denim is you paying extra for them to do less work to the denim

the muh sick fades thing is annoying, but i can't deny that i've seen some pics with an amazing fade

we used to discuss this topic all the time but clearly it was just a trend

buy whatever denim you want
just dont be the annoying dude letting everyone know your jeans are raw denim or purposely cuffing your jeans so we can see your red stitching
>>
>>11267553
Naked and Famous has nice fabric for a decent price, so that's where I shop and recommend starting since they have numerous different fits.

>>11267563
>raw denim is you paying extra for them to do less work to the denim
Expensive raws are usually made of interesting fabrics like denim from small mills in Japan or Cone Mills in the US. Those more expensive fabrics just aren't used in non-raw garments very often because they're better showcased raw.

Uniqlo has cheap raw jeans made with fabric produced on a larger scale.
>>
>>11267563
i already own 3 pairs of selvedge jeans my man, i was just wondering. i like them because of the detail and fading my own denim, which is a pretty viable reason imo. thanks though
>>
>>11267584
I own unbranded and uniqlo x2, naked and famous i like too. ty for the help
>>
raw/selvedge/GLORIOUS NIPPON denim used to have 5 threads dedicated to it at all times around 2011-2012 here
>>
>>11267584
>Expensive raws are usually made of interesting fabrics like denim
wait we're all aware here raws are raw denim, always. right?
anyway, yes i am aware of the mills, i've worked with a few
raw denim is more expensive because of the richer dye and such

>Those more expensive fabrics just aren't used in non-raw garments very often because they're better showcased raw.
uh, what are you trying to say here? confusing tbch

>>11267588
nah it's cool, i probably sounded angry given the context of this being 4chan, but i wasnt
if you like them, that's great
and it doesn't sound like you'll run into buyer's remorse

jeans that are raw/selvage tend to have a higher markup because those two words are great marketing words, especially in the last few years

but at the end of the day, a product is worth whatever you believe it's worth, and you clearly wouldn't have purchased 3 if you didn't like the product
>>
>>11267563
>but i can't deny that i've seen some pics with an amazing fade
I haven't but I never really paid attention to the fad. post some
>>
>>11267538
got a pair of apcs and i like them. they have the best fit and fade pretty fast although the overall quality doesn't justify the price.

theres a lot of negative stigma surrounding raws because of le reddit workwear beard culture which is cringe. but you can wear them without making them look corny like those guys.

the deep indigo color is lovely imo and very versatile. raws will always be a staple ignore anyone calling them a meme or a late trend.
>>
File: 35JYfLy.jpg (624KB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
35JYfLy.jpg
624KB, 2736x3648px
>>11267646
heres some APCs
>>
File: zMRWXcP.jpg (639KB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
zMRWXcP.jpg
639KB, 2736x3648px
>>11267657
some god tier fades in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOThq4N2eo
>>
File: theoutsiders4.jpg (197KB, 1200x765px) Image search: [Google]
theoutsiders4.jpg
197KB, 1200x765px
>>11267646
>is
>>
File: nakedandfamous.jpg (963KB, 848x1280px) Image search: [Google]
nakedandfamous.jpg
963KB, 848x1280px
>>11267662
>>
>>11267538
/fa/ was talking about raw denim non-stop in 2012. In fact, if you posted a regular, washed pair of jeans, people might even tell you that they're shit.

Personally, I see the appeal, but I don't bother myself. Most of my jeans are either black, a solid blue. I don't really like fades, in general.

Pre-faded jeans are still mostly bad, though, and I think /fa/ would still advise against this (as we did in 2012). Only exception I can think of is with (some) stonewashed jeans.
>>
>>11267646
i think >>11267672 is one of the ones i saw and actually really liked
ty anon for posting that
>>
I have one week old 3sixteen. I sought them out because the fit looked perfect for what I wanted, and when I tried them in-store they were what I expected. Best jeans I've ever had even with the ugly color they begin at. If the fade goes well I'll have nothing to regret. The people in the store seemed knowledgeable too and were nice so I'll be going back in a year to get another pair.
>>
international raw denim contest winner AMA.
>>
File: Rogue Territory Dark Stanton 1.jpg (654KB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Territory Dark Stanton 1.jpg
654KB, 1000x1400px
>>
File: JpmwoVp.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
JpmwoVp.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I really want N&F vintage casts. Seems like a great S/S raw with the eventual pale wave potential.
>>
File: Rogue Territory Dark Stanton 7.jpg (114KB, 600x435px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Territory Dark Stanton 7.jpg
114KB, 600x435px
>>11267787
Found this a while ago. I hope he's made more process must be hard with such a dark color though.
>>
>>11267794
N&F stretch out really poorly DESU. They don't end up conforming well to your movement as much as they stretch way out of proportion in the knees and crotch. I'm not sure how it happens with every pair I've seen, since they use different denims for all of them, but it always does. Might have to do with the tailoring.

You can see it in that pair, the way the jeans cinch in either side of that person's junk. They're unflattering after 3 months.
>>
>>11267538
am I the only one who thought this was a black penis from the thumbnail
>>
>>11267810
not tight enough in the crotch
a problem with a lot of modern denim due to low rises and "carrot" fits
>>
>>11267815
I have low rise/tapered jeans from Momotaro that don't do this, especially not to this degree. Just gotta find a better company than N&F
>>
>>11267787
>>11267736
rouge territory and 3sixteen have some of the most boring fades ive ever seen outside of their shadow selvedge.
>>
>>11267800
>must be hard with such a dark color though
not really, shadow selvedge usually fades fast with high contrast.
>>
File: 1444139828815.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1444139828815.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I know they got their own issues, but maybe Gustin would be a better alternative.
I'm this anon >>11267794
and I've seen them run some lighter colored denims in the past, but was unsure how well they fade. They got one herringbone one that's nice and light, but never really seen fades from it.
>>
>>11267824
>3sixteen

I got the shadow selvage. I'm going with something else for a really light blue next time. Someone I spoke to recommended Tellason Ladbroke.
>>
File: 2-16-22508-F15_collection2.jpg (295KB, 1000x1489px) Image search: [Google]
2-16-22508-F15_collection2.jpg
295KB, 1000x1489px
>>11267829

>tfw i fell for the clark desert mali meme as well as the raw denim meme.

I only bought ub101(I got them tapered) and will probably crop them and wear them exactly like this(I dont want the rips though)
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>11267827
>>11267800
Yeah, the deep colors actually go real quick cuz of higher contrast (although that can still vary with dye and cotton). This is around 9 months I think?

If you guys want interesting fades you probably want to stay away from most American denims btw. Come mills fades are all the same and all pretty lame, and that's what 90% of American companies use. Some occasional hints of Japanese denim but they never quite do as well as the power players.
>>
>>11267895

Desert Mali are meme shoes?

What's wrong with them?
>>
>>11267911
It's /fa/

The basic qualification for memewear is essentially
> at least ten people own them
>>
>>11267911
Not that it was ever all that profound to begin with, put the idea of any clothing being a meme is a pretty watered down and silly at this point.
>>
I don't mind raws or selvedge or whatever, but this whole 2 YEARS NO WASH bullshit is disgusting, wash your fucking clothes
>>
>>11267538
Still own a few, imo can be better than contemporary brand offerings and more durable from my experience with both. Not washing for years feel like a meme tho, and high contrast fades lost its appeal to me some time ago.

The problem is finding raws with a good fit, since a lot of raw denim makers do traditional cuts/historical references especially a lot of the jap brands, so more straight and sometimes downright baggy. Its interesting sure, but not as versatile imo
>>
This thread shows the fickle bullshit nature of /fa/ and fashion in general. Two years ago this thread would be a unanimous pro-raw circlejerk, but now that reddit found out about 'em you fags are backing away pretending you never put your damn jeans in the freezer instead of washing them
>>
File: image.jpg (724KB, 1200x1199px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
724KB, 1200x1199px
>>11267638
I think he means some interesting weaves come out of certain looms. I own onis and these are by no means comparable to other mass market denim in terms of thickness and fabric feel. I also got to see pic related irl when traveling last month and had to physically restrain myself from copping on the spot since i got one raw indigo denim and that sounded like enough. Now i've got remorse not pulling the trigger.
>>
>>11267541
Go back to denimhunters or superdenim
>>
>>11268047
Try out

Momotaro (or Japan blue, their sister company)

Pure blue Japan

Oni

All of these have recently been putting out great stuff on the slim-heavy spectrum. Pretty cheap if you order from denimio too.
>>
>>11267538
Idk, i just want to look good. However, i understand the appeal of wearing and tearing it for months, but i'm not gonna wait for that long just to look good.
>>
>>11268051
This thread seems overwhelmingly pro-raw, if not to that obsessive level. Don't be a baby.
>>
>>11267563
Yeah the problem with raw selvedge jeans is that it's made of expensive materials. But let's not forget that color is what matters the most. People are not gonna rub your jeans everytime they see it, they look at the color, and thats what makes you look good.
>>
File: BestDenim.jpg (1MB, 1032x1855px) Image search: [Google]
BestDenim.jpg
1MB, 1032x1855px
>>
>>11267736
Nice try, Johan Lam
>>
>>11267952
lmao bet you wash your clothes after one wear
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 257x196px
>>11268071
>mfw normies actually wash every article of clothing after one wear
>>
ITT : the second wave of raw selvedge denim
>>
>>11267672
>>11267657
What would you say these looked like before the fades? Or what color they are marked as when sold new?
>>
>>11268054
Yep, got onis like i mentioned. Havent got around to try pbj, mainly cz i'm in bumfuck Australia and they're not that easy to come by. The only thing that i can think of that is preventing me from pulling the trigger is from what i can tell pbjs tend to be low rise. If they're anything like the low rise of APC's then we've got a problem. On the flip side my kapitals are tight tapered and got a medium/high rise which fits me just fine. Took me ages tho to find a replacement from the levis old 510's
>>
Is there anything I can do with my jeans if I just don't want them to fade? I like the look of raw denim without any distressing or fading, if I bought pairs I'd love to preserve them.
>>
>>11268071
>Implying I don't burn every set of clothing after I wear it once
>>
>>11268118
...buy non raw denim?
>>
>>11268156

but doesn't faded denim still distress and stuff? what are some recommended brands for pre-faded jeans?
>>
>>11268180

washed denim* and pre-washed jeans*
>>
File: APC_denim_1024x1024.jpg (152KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
APC_denim_1024x1024.jpg
152KB, 683x1024px
>>11268093
apcs looked like pic related

the naked and famous are here
http://www.heddels.com/2012/05/fade-friday-naked-famous-x-blue-in-green-weird-guy-16-months-1-wash/

neither are marketed as a particular color besides the basic "indigo" both have a steel blue look to them.
>>
All the vintage pieces were raw, but they are all washed out looking now. I don't think the minors and workers and even the teens of the 50s and 60s gave a fuck about fades like people do now.
>>
File: tumblr_nsuafu8rue1rozfq7o1_1280.jpg (98KB, 770x1060px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsuafu8rue1rozfq7o1_1280.jpg
98KB, 770x1060px
Prefer these vintage
>>
File: MG_24321-770x515.jpg (125KB, 770x515px) Image search: [Google]
MG_24321-770x515.jpg
125KB, 770x515px
Over these. There too tryhard
>>
>>11268259
"Wearing pants" = "tryhard"

When I was doing the raw denim thing it was way more convenient than my interest in avant garde. You throw the same pair of jeans on, pic a t shirt, and decide between boots and converse. Repeat for a year. It's minimal effort.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.