[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

COMMENT ON MULTICULTURAL FASHIONS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 50

File: Fashion statement.jpg (163KB, 808x1711px) Image search: [Google]
Fashion statement.jpg
163KB, 808x1711px
http://archive.is/5350o

>It's okay to be proud of your cultural clothes.
>It's okay to be fine with foreign clothes.
>It's by mixing fashions and cultures that clothes develop.

Post some hybrid fashion
>>
File: visvim-fbt-corduroy-0.jpg (217KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
visvim-fbt-corduroy-0.jpg
217KB, 1024x683px
Visvim thread?
>>
>>11257393
>a 13year old
Stopped reading there
>>
File: 1377641626488.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1377641626488.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>11257393
Pat is a fucking savage
>>
>>11257393
inb4 braindead nazis complaining of cultural marxism
>>
>>11257424
why would they complain? think about it. people who believe in cultural appropriation don't want whites to have dreadlocks, to partake in hip hop, or to really have anything to do with non-white culture. to me that sounds like exactly the kind of thing a white supremacist would want, doesn't it? to stay 'white' in all ways, albeit for a completely different reason.

shit, to go one further, the concept of 'cultural imperialism' is about making PoC (PBUH) adopt white culture and abandon their own. according to people who believe in cultural appropriation, it's not appropriation for non-whites to adopt the dominant white culture. but they propose that it's a one-way street in that regard, and whites can't adopt PoC culture. which is effectively exactly the same thing as cultural imperialism

in all seriousness, i am a racist, and i like the cultural segregation thing lefties are embracing
>>
let's say white people start demanding blacks don't wear weaves/straighten their hair and don't dye their hair blonde
>>
File: tumblr.png (32KB, 658x313px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr.png
32KB, 658x313px
Just saw this posted on facebook. Aren't these the same people who cry about cultural appropriation?

So you can wear whatever you want without being judged, but you can't wear anything that might offend someone or that was popularised by a culture other than your own. Right.
>>
>>11257821
>popularised by a culture other than your own

this is exactly the point. people don't realise that 'white' culture is the norm and thus it's ok for everyone to 'appropriate' it. this is fine but so is have dreads if you're white (dreads aren't even an exlusive thing from black/african culture as spartans amongst other warriors had them as well)
>>
>>11257821
people who use tumblr =/= retarded sjws
>>
you people really don't understand why it's not ok to wear native american headdress and clothing? we took their land and now you want to take their clothing too? lmao
>>
>>11257850
it's only 'taking' if you claim it as being part of your identity.
>>
>people actually got offended by this lmao
>>
>>11257850
I seem to recall someone selling their land for some shiny BEADS
>>
Fashion is a cultural statement. What Injuns wore reflects certain ideas of their culture.

Also, no one holds the end-all, be-all power over the limits of creative power, i.e. if someone wishes to borrow head-dresses for aesthetics then they're going to have to deal with it.
>>
>>11257850
#triggered
>>
File: batiktt.jpg (471KB, 1300x879px) Image search: [Google]
batiktt.jpg
471KB, 1300x879px
i'm proud of batik, and i also think it's a very beautiful pattern. i just can't see myself wearing it fashionably unironically. i can only wear american thrift-core confidently right now
>>
>>11258010
Batik is just a resist dying technique similar to shibori anyone can do it it's not owned by any culture. And if anyone says it is cmon only one culture was ever able to come up with wax resist dying ?
>>
>>11258094
i think he said the pattern, not the technique
>>
If you are one of those cultural appropriation tards, you have no right to complain that's basically it, end of story, nothing more to it.
>>
>>11257765
There are blacks with blonde hair and blacks with straight hair. give another example because you're not wrong, you're just too ignorant to be 100% right. Don't worry you'll get there
>>
>>11257971
that's a myth though
>>
>>11257881
tbf that offends me because it's fucking horrible
>>
realistically, i'm glad we didn't stop civilising, creating, expanding, educating, thriving just because of a bunch of fucking hippy red indians just wanna sit around the camp fire and shit, fuck no, and i'm pretty sure that anybody will agree with me, and if you don't, you're a fucking idiot, you're more than welcome to go back to the stone age
>>
File: 1424646794410.gif (978KB, 400x227px) Image search: [Google]
1424646794410.gif
978KB, 400x227px
>teach young white people to idolize foreigners
>get upset when they do exactly that
>>
>>11258255
yes, ONLY a coiffe made of EAGLE feathers can be a warbonnet. Nothing else could be considered as such - except if a white girl wears feathers in her hair, then anything and everything is a warbonnet and is unacceptable.

yes, ONLY native american MALES are allowed the privilege of wearing warbonnets, it's not discrimination. White men invented sexism. Natives can't discriminate based on sex. Protecting the sanctity of warbonnets does not promote tribal sexism at all.

yes, a bindi is a sacred symbol of wedlock in Indian cultures.
no, you can't wear one just because you think it looks good, unless you were bought as a sex slave or something, then maybe we can talk.
Protecting the sanctity of bindis is not contributing to a culture forced marriages and nonconsensual underage sex.

only zoroastrians can sport paisley
only the Chinese can have silk
only Croatians can wear ties

period.
>>
>>11257850
The only Native American thing we shouldn't wear is headdresses, because those are literally their version of the Medal of Honor and it's a shitty thing to turn in into #festivalslutwear.

The beads tho? They seemed more than happy to fucking sell me those in the Dakotas
>>
>>11258345
Would it actually be fair to be upset if a bunch of sluzzas in China started wearing american military regalia, though?

Why actually care?
>>
>>11258165
So, the argument is that blonde hair and straight hair are part of the dominant culture.

By wearing styles that are part of the dominant culture, it is not racist, cause reverse racism isn't a thing.

But by wearing something from an oppressed culture, it is racist.

I don't necessarily agree, but that is the argument pretty much
senpai desu
>>
>>11257393

What matters is the context and the significance/ meaning of what your wearing

for example

native American Indian headdress - highly symbolic, very important in the culture, all native american indians are now dead except for a few who are half american indian, so basically its like taking someones fancy hat and dancing around their corpse

another example

wearing a bindi on your forehead - extremely significant spiritual symbol that is used in religious ceremonies, makes you look like an ignorant fuckwad if you wear one purely for fashion, you might as well put a bible on a chain around your neck, probably just as stupid
>>
>>11258383

cont

however simply wearing a traditional hat, scarf or coat with a pattern etc. with no context or major significance is fine and often means you've gone out of your way to get it and/or have taken the time to learn about what you're wearing

also the argument that jeans etc. from western culture can be appropriated by other cultures is bullshit because 1. most western fashion often has no particular significance or context or has been homogenised to the extent its now unrecognisable 2. western ideals are often forced upon other cultures as a standard
>>
>>11258165
>muh one in a million exceptions

Yeah we get it, not all Africans are the same, but neither are all Europeans, or Asians.
>>
>>11258383
Defending symbols of oppression isn't acceptable senpai, war bonnets and bindis are both sexist and discriminatory. Don't be on the wrong side of history. See>>11258277
>>
>>11258135
again it's a technique not a specific pattern like a houndstooth or paisley
>>
>>11257881
that was more an issue of straight up stealing designs rather than cultural appropriation
>>
>>11258383
My Indian friends have given me bindis and told me they don't symbolise anything, they're just part of traditional fashion. I don't wear them anyway, but they seem to think it's a non-issue.

Plenty of people wear Christian symbolism for fashion's sake as well and no one seems to give a damn.
>>
File: 31188_original.jpg (46KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
31188_original.jpg
46KB, 360x480px
In Japan you'll see people wearing religious symbols or even Nazi inspired stuff.
>>
File: metamilitary.jpg (35KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
metamilitary.jpg
35KB, 300x400px
>>11258927
>>
>>11258383
>wearing a bindi on your forehead - extremely significant spiritual symbol that is used in religious ceremonies, makes you look like an ignorant fuckwad if you wear one purely for fashion, you might as well put a bible on a chain around your neck, probably just as stupid
confirmed for having literally no knowledge of the culture. Go to India, they practically beg you to wear bindis just for fashion
>>
>>11258383
>every individual white person is responsible for the bad things that other white people, hundreds of years ago, who may not even be related to them in any genetic, cultural, or ethnic way

when will this meme end
>>
>>11257393
>http://archive.is/5350o
last year it was an african american racist girl who made a youtube video about the appropriation of braids and how it was wrong for people who aren't black to use braids. for a class about multiculturalism i think.
>>
Wearing a headdress as a fashion statement is the equivalent of stolen valor imo.
Everything else is fair game so long as you do it with deference and not just steal from family designs like
>>11257881
>>
>>11257393
I guess minorities can say bye to modern suits and ties.
>>
>>11258165
You mean the ones that slave owners raped white genes into?
>>
File: 1411704856078.gif (1MB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1411704856078.gif
1MB, 180x200px
>>11258980
>stolen valor
>>
>>11258982
And shoes
And TV
And Computers
And Phones
And Cars
And Planes
And Electricity
>>
>>11257397
Underrated post
>>
>>11259100
And the English language lmao
>>
>>11259088
No there's some tribe (I think in the Pacific somewhere) where black people have blonde hair due to some kind of salt in the ocean or something. Though I don't think they're born with it.
>>
>>11258277

Only English people are allowed to speak English!

Scheiße, wie soll ich jetzt weitermachen
>>
>>11257393
>fine.

>throws child outside in cold.
>>
>>11257821
The people who go full victorian are generally autistic suburbias who have no fucking idea what makes them look good and only care about the superficial OOH OLD TIMEY CLOTHING
>>
>>11257850
>we
not all of us are American and that's a sins of the father issue.
>>
>>11258982
>>11259100
Pls don't feel superior just because your great grandfather invented those. It wasn't you, it was them. You're on the same degree and level as me, i'm not a housemaid trying to be you. It wasn't you that made me clever, okay ?
>>
>>11258927
one day i will have d walkure
>>
File: 1452220907368.gif (333KB, 289x149px) Image search: [Google]
1452220907368.gif
333KB, 289x149px
>>11259728
Dreads, head dresses, etc all existed before your lifetime as well. So everyone should be able wear them.

You're really fucking stupid for this comment, because you completely contradicted the side you support.
>>
>>11257393
Don't worry, nobody is going to steal your look, because it's shit.
>>
>>11258277
>>11258826

Holy shit y'all are insufferable. Quit virtue-signaling.
>>
>>11257393
> this is how white imperialists justify their actions

and jeans arent part of any culture fuckwad
>>
>>11258927
niche pictures =/= "you'll see people wearing Nazi inspired stuff"
>>
>>11258927
>photo shoot = everyday wear
are you mentally disadvantaged?

try thailand for nazi-core
>>
cultural appropriation is pretty simple

if you don't treat it with the respect the original culture did, that's bad

most fashion, however, isn't treated as sacred objects

too put it in a western sense, it'd be like wearing a medal of honor without ever having served at all. you look like a tool/poser and it's disrespectful to the people that did. dreads though? hip hop? those aren't on the same level
>>
>>11263531
am I allowed to wear my navy surplus peacoat with the anchor buttons?
>>
>>11263476
You're stealing my gold mining cowboy culture
>>
>>11263542
Of course. Navy peacoats aren't awarded for valor, they were given for utility

It's like the M-65 Field Coat
>>
>itt: people who cannot understand scholarly discourse, people are inspired by fucking rick owens as a writer, and armchair white supremacists who havent seen a black person since that one time they got bulled by a black girl in high school
>>
>>11264202
>scholarly discourse
It's a clickbait article about cultural appropriation m8
>>
>>11263531
>Implying that the Ironcross isn't worn as a fashion accessory in some subcultures
>>
>>11257850
lol I left /fa/ and switched over to /pol/ as my main board a year or two ago, and it's funny to see something like this the first time I come back
>>
>>11264374
/fa/ is in dire need of /pol/, hell, every other board ive been to is in dire need of /pol/
>>
>>11258383
I legitimately am not a racist, but I do not care if something I wear pisses off some easily offended sandnigger or or 1/16 Cherokee middle class white girl. It's funny when they complain about people of other races using an invention someone of their race came up with.. on the Internet.. on a computer.. that runs on electricity. All this PC shit is starting to get to be too much.
>>
>>11258383
Do you also get angry at asians who take egytpian, christian and jewish symbols and wear them on their fashion?
>>
>>11258980
>stolen valor
what the hell is the point of this? like its clothes, deal w/it
>>
>>11264451
Obviously to stupid to understand the concept of stolen valor.
Where what you want but don't play dumb.
>>
>>11259163
Maybe you're thinking of abos that dye their hair blonde? Or if you're thinking of the pacific then those people are Polynesians not blacks so by your logic blacks can't dye their hair blonde as it would be appropriation
>>
>>11263476
Pants originated in Germanic tribes, you aren't allowed to wear pants it's cultural appropriation
>>
File: tumblr_kyrj3256Us1qaf7o7.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kyrj3256Us1qaf7o7.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
Am I allowed to wear this? I need to know. Someone get Ja Rule on the phone
>>
>>11264384
/pol/ is the cancer making it too difficult to have legitimate board realavent conversation any more. Stay on your own fucking board with his shit.
>>
>>11258180
>Evil whitey killed all natives just to steal their shit and lands.
>Das fact mane

o-ok, I shall go flagellate myself now and cleanse myself of my privilege.
>>
>>11258959
I think she should take a long, hard look at the Dutch braided hair and realize that she can't fucking own braided hair.

>>11257393
I wonder if she realizes that if all white people stop wearing native american inspirrd jewelry, the market will die. Nobody will produce them because they're unsellable except to a handful of people that may not even like their own culture. If this happens, their culture will completely disappear everywhere except academic circles. It will be relegated to the status of historic ethnic costume, much like a toga or something else generally unwearable.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 554x439px
>>11264788
We don't understand it because it's fucking bullshit.
All clothing and accessories hold no intrinsic meaning. You're trying to impose your own subjective beliefs on these objects, be they headdresses, medals of honor or otherwise. Fashion, like all art is about challenging those subjective societal boundaries. If that triggers you, you're barely different than the idealogues who tried to stifle Picaso's works of art.
In short: Quit being a SJW pussy.
>>
muh sacred symbols of culture

this is just the insane left wing version of stolen valor fags.
>>
if you're an egalitarian than believing in a thing such as "cultural appropriation" is counter-intuitive. progressivism is in collapse because tenets have formed which don't make any fucking sense. diversity is so obviously divisive but in some orwellian fashion it's inclusive. stuff like that where the movement is just contrarian of themselves and this warped idea of morals gets in the way logic.

>>11257850
i didnt take their land. im an non-white immigrant. is it okay for me to wear native american garb?

this is also exactly what i'm talking about. these mystical notions of "privilege and oppression". some people are "privileged" and some have been "oppressed" and you want us all to get along by accommodating the oppressed. now the oppressed have something the privileged don't aka a privilege for the oppressed. this artificial equalization is a mess of recursive and convoluted bullshit.

>>11263512
literal skinheads sans white supremacy lmao
>>
File: THAI SKINHEAD.jpg (254KB, 1398x905px) Image search: [Google]
THAI SKINHEAD.jpg
254KB, 1398x905px
>>11265883
>>
File: takeaseat.gif (2MB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
takeaseat.gif
2MB, 500x360px
ITT: White people don't understand the difference between cultural exchange and cultural appropriation; would rather shitpost/complain than deepen their understanding of the world around them.

In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue. More at 11.
>>
>>11265956
modernity is eliminating the difference. global interconnectivity will somewhere along the line create a level of homogeneity. what we're calling appropriation now is the early stages of forming a global culture, we're only so averse to it now because of our proximity to historically unsavory details.
>>
>>11266009
also im chinese since you felt the need to specify white people in your post
>>
File: image.jpg (141KB, 400x1724px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 400x1724px
>>11266015
You'd better watch out, anon. Japs are already grouped in with us privileged whites in some SJW circles.
>>
>>11266009
>>11266015
The fact that culture vultures can quickly operate on a global scale doesn't eliminate the difference between exchange and appropriation. That those same vultures can later sell back these 'new' wares to the members of the culture that was originally pillaged isn't evidence of some equalizing interconnectivity or level homogeneity but in fact evidence of complete and utter dominance of the global market by a privileged elite. Also, the concept of appropriation and the controversy surrounding it aren't new, having existed in one form or another since the beginning of last century. Maybe it's just you who's become aware of it recently.
>>
>>11266089
appropriation has been in action since the inception of societies and their co-interactions. the concept "arises" due to a general shift in western philosophy to one interested in altruism which shapes a fair portion of the government we have now. the slow corruption of that has been a philosophy somewhat disinterested in the welfare of the self because we're already "doing well enough".

can you specify these vultures and their actions? legitimate query on the details before i can respond
>>
>>11266232
i meant more self-destructive instead of disinterested in the welfare of the self as that is altruism
>>
>>11266232
>can you specify these vultures and their actions? legitimate query on the details before i can respond

can you literally google 'cultural appropriation' yourself and find myriad examples on your own?
>>
File: ainsleyoooh.png (1MB, 1416x1008px) Image search: [Google]
ainsleyoooh.png
1MB, 1416x1008px
>>11265956
>ITT: White people don't understand the difference between cultural exchange and cultural appropriation;
I understand the difference

>would rather shitpost/complain than deepen their understanding of the world around them.
Sounds like the entirety of over-sheltered cucks whining about muh culture on tumblr.

>>11266089
>pillaged
Man up, you fucking drama queen. We're causing offense minor offense to the easily triggered, not breaking into their homes and raping their women.

>isn't evidence of some equalizing interconnectivity or level homogeneity but in fact evidence of complete and utter dominance of the global market by a privileged elite.
Actually, it's both. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

>Also, the concept of appropriation and the controversy surrounding it aren't new, having existed in one form or another since the beginning of last century.
And it was a nonissue even then.
>>
File: QAKFpPF.gif (967KB, 490x367px) Image search: [Google]
QAKFpPF.gif
967KB, 490x367px
>>11266350
>I understand the difference
>Actually, it's both. Those aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
File: you look upset.jpg (20KB, 151x210px) Image search: [Google]
you look upset.jpg
20KB, 151x210px
>>11266393
>I-I'll just say he's shit posting, maybe he'll go away
Nice argument btw senpai
>>
File: 0gLjqcD.png (494KB, 1173x651px) Image search: [Google]
0gLjqcD.png
494KB, 1173x651px
>>11266417

>Nice argument btw senpai
>Sounds like the entirety of over-sheltered cucks whining about muh culture on tumblr.
>>
>>11266443
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMrYfKo9qoY
Well it does, though. Tumblr is full of oversheltered special snowflakes that cry about their precious culture being "pillaged" (As if it were theirs to begin with), instead of focusing on actual issues.
Have a look at the video.
>>
File: 2302.jpg (43KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
2302.jpg
43KB, 500x483px
>>11266473
>half hour long video
>their culture isn't their own
>I get to determine what issues matter to other people
>>
File: Baurus.jpg (37KB, 319x424px) Image search: [Google]
Baurus.jpg
37KB, 319x424px
>>11266487
>Telling people to educate themselves on complex issues
>crying when they post a half hour long video
Wew

>I get to determine what issues matter to other people
I'm not determining anything here. Cultural appropriation is objectively a nonissue.
>>
>>11266504
>comparing research on a well documented cultural phenomenon to a youtube video about a website you hate

u got me lad

>my opinions are objective
shitpost harder
>>
>>11266529
>comparing research on a well documented cultural phenomenon to a youtube video about a website you hate
Oh, trust me. The video is very well researched. Have a look.

>my opinions are objective
But it's not an opinion, it's a fact.
America is stuck in a constant war in the middle east, Western governments continue to expand the reach of their surveillance, and violent mudslimes are being welcomed into Europe with impunity.
Meanwhile, retards like you are acting as if your marginally hurt feelings over people putting feathers in their hair matter.
>>
>>11266285
brazenly pointing to google and posting a screenshot of wikipedia when asked for specification seems in my opinion ill practice but i agree i'm on my computer and should've done it myself. still i'd like you yourself to outline it when we're dealing with a topic like this.

i had a dance teacher who was the hippy-type in elementary school who had us do traditional filipino bamboo dances. considering this was a poorer and more ethnically diverse school with a lot of blacks and the children of immigrants, it was a pretty cool experience to have. but we were kids who didn't really know what the fuck we were doing and i still don't understand the cultural background of the practice. are you against something like this? of course i'm against egregious practices with the purpose of personal profit but not all appropriation is with an expressed goal of ill intent and conversely helps spread culture. i can go right now and find out more about tinikling.

then there's another consideration at hand. do you have a problem with japanese people producing and selling manga and anime with strong christian iconography? do you have a problem with these guys >>11265923 appropriating and subverting the original meaning of the of the subculture and image they've adopted? your argument is one-sided and partial against the perceived dominant culture. the concept of cultural appropriation serves to insulate cultures and inhibits cultural exchange.

i would still like specification on cultural vultures operating on a global scale.
>>
>>11266551
>filipino bamboo dances
My girlfriend lives in Luzon, and said she'd be happy if were to do that stuff.

>of course i'm against egregious practices with the purpose of personal profit
Why? If you can make money and you aren't hurting anyone, make money.

>but not all appropriation is with an expressed goal of ill intent and conversely helps spread culture.
Making personal profit is not ill intent.

>your argument is one-sided and partial against the perceived dominant culture. the concept of cultural appropriation serves to insulate cultures and inhibits cultural exchange.
This. If you're upset about your culture becoming less unique, I can guarantee you that you can find dozens of other unique and interesting cultures birthed as a result, cultures that are not bound by race or religion, like the chans.
>>
>>11266585
i mean making money while hurting people in the process

>>11266551
to add on, im currently eating pizza and have books by long dead european dudes. i have a french movie i torrented that i might watch later.
im still chinese, should i fucking kill myself?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (28KB, 171x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
28KB, 171x200px
>>11266549
>marginally hurt feelings over people putting feathers in their hair
I'm glad you demonstrated that you don't actually know shit about cultural appropriation so I can know it would have been a waste of my time to watch your 'well researched' youtube poop. Good job sprinkling on some /pol/ garbage in there too. OBVIOUSLY none of the things you mentioned are objectively nonissues since global warming will completely destroy large swaths of the earth in the coming decades.
>>
>>11266585
>she'd be happy if you were to do that stuff
This is the prevailing view among the vast majority of well-adjusted individuals. It's our culture, but we want to share it with you! You have an interest in our culture? Great, I'd love to see more people get involved!

The only people who actually have a problem with this are attention whores who haven't left their own country and experienced how cool the world outside is.
>>
File: 1402017522051.jpg (122KB, 645x412px) Image search: [Google]
1402017522051.jpg
122KB, 645x412px
>>11266596
I dunno, if you're literally living in China, it seems like you're about to be part of the dominant culture anyways.
>>
So this is the thread where everybody is supposed to post their fashionable opinions, right?
>>
File: mlel.png (443KB, 611x563px) Image search: [Google]
mlel.png
443KB, 611x563px
>>11266601
>I'm glad you demonstrated that you don't actually know shit about cultural appropriation
I'm glad you've demonstrated that you can't back up your claims with any evidence. ;^)

>so I can know it would have been a waste of my time to watch your 'well researched' youtube poop.
>U-ur dumb! I don't have to see your evidence!

> Good job sprinkling on some /pol/ garbage in there too.
Good job dumping a whole oil drum of tumblr tears instead of presenting a rational argument.

>OBVIOUSLY none of the things you mentioned are objectively nonissues since global warming will completely destroy large swaths of the earth in the coming decades.
Nope, they're still issues. No one is dying over cultural appropriation.
>>
>>11266606
naw, im american. first of the line american born, my older sister was still made in china. we wuz taishan mountain farmers and shit.
>>
File: 1424904257529.jpg (225KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1424904257529.jpg
225KB, 633x758px
>>11266636
Lucky you. You get to burn with us.
>>
>>11266551
>are you against something like this?
There's literally nothing wrong with trying to learn about other cultures. This is like asking if I have a problem with Americans going to a restaurant that serves something other than 'American' food.

>japanese people producing and selling manga and anime with strong christian iconography?

Do you understand how Christianity made it to Japan in the first place?

>do you have a problem with these guys >>11265923 appropriating and subverting the original meaning of the of the subculture and image they've adopted?

In what way are they doing any of what you're claiming?

>your argument is partial against the perceived dominant culture.

fix'd

>the concept of cultural appropriation serves to insulate cultures and inhibits cultural exchange.

see >>11265956

>i would still like specification on cultural vultures operating on a global scale.

a flimsy one but pic related
>>
>>11266601
oh wow you were serious with your posts
lmao
>>
>>11266643
in retrospect i would've liked it if i was still in china. then i remember that my grandma used to suck the snot out of my nose when it was stuffed.
>>
File: giphy.gif (32KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
32KB, 250x250px
>>11266629
>I'm glad you've demonstrated that you can't back up your claims with any evidence. ;^)
u rite, the comment where I posted an excerpt of examples of cultural appropriation was in fact devoid of evidence :^)

>ur dumb! I don't have to bother looking at your shitposts!

more or less

>Good job dumping a whole oil drum of tumblr tears instead of presenting a rational argument.

>get incensed that I said you don't know shit
>claim I'm crying
gud won

>Nope, they're still issues. No one is dying over cultural appropriation.
People have to die for something to be bad? Ok dude. I'm clearly the drama queen here.
>>
File: 4L_Xg93FEGG.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
4L_Xg93FEGG.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>11257393
Yes let's keep all the races and cultures separate but equal this is what martin luther king and injin joe would have wanted
>>
>>11266653
>Do you understand how Christianity made it to Japan in the first place?
Oh, I get it, since Western missionaries tried to force Christianity down their throats, that makes it okay.
In that case, I can do whatever the fuck I want with Japanese culture, since they murdered 22,000 American and Filipino troops during the Bataan Death March.
Shamefur dispray, faggot-kun.

>see >>11265956
You didn't address his claim. The concept of cultural appropriation serves to insulate cultures and inhibits cultural exchange.

>u rite, the comment where I posted an excerpt of examples of cultural appropriation was in fact devoid of evidence :^)
Well, it was. None of that addressed how cultural appropriation is a problem.
Furthermore, please show me how I don't know about cultural appropriation. Begin with addressing the video.
Here, I'll post it again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMrYfKo9qoY

>get incensed that I said you don't know shit
I'm not incensed, I just want to have a rational debate, here. I think this is a topic worth debating, but you don't want that.

>People have to die for something to be bad? Ok dude. I'm clearly the drama queen here.
Hyperbole, friendo. I'm using simple concepts so we can get this conversation going. Again, for whatever reason, you don't want that.
Certainly marginally hurt feelings aren't an issue, though. That's how we grow into functional adults.
>>
>>11266653
i was doing something from a culture i knew nothing about and wasn't doing it because i wanted to learn. in the end, i still learned.

less about how christianity made it to japan and more that the concept of god and divine wrath and holy quests and demons are cool, which are completely not what the religion is about. aka appropriation

skinheads are supremacists of whites and white culture. these dudes have subverted the basis.

the difference between appropriation and exchange would happen to be intent, but the end result is similar.

bruh, motoko is a fuckin robot. we still don't know if it's gonna be an edge of tomorrow type deal so i can't say much about it, but they're presumably keeping the gits name. plus they got kitano as aramaki, love the homie takeshi
>>
File: r.jpg (24KB, 350x301px) Image search: [Google]
r.jpg
24KB, 350x301px
>>11266703
>Oh, I get it, since Western missionaries tried to force Christianity down their throats, that makes it okay.
>In that case, I can do whatever the fuck I want with Japanese culture, since they murdered 22,000 American and Filipino troops during the Bataan Death March.
>Shamefur dispray, faggot-kun.

So basically, you literally can't tell the difference between culture that is given and that which is taken. Isn't that what I said all the way in >>11265956 ? What are you even arguing at this point?

>The concept of cultural appropriation serves to insulate cultures and inhibits cultural exchange.

Cultural appropriation and cultural exchange are different things. Next.

>Furthermore, please show me how I don't know about cultural appropriation.

You've already demonstrated such earlier in your comment.

>I'm not incensed, I just want to have a rational debate, here.
>Sounds like the entirety of over-sheltered cucks whining about muh culture on tumblr.
>Man up, you fucking drama queen.
>Tumblr is full of oversheltered special snowflakes that cry about their precious culture being "pillaged" (As if it were theirs to begin with), instead of focusing on actual issues.
>Meanwhile, retards like you are acting as if your marginally hurt feelings over people putting feathers in their hair matter.
>Shamefur dispray, faggot-kun.

totes

>Hyperbole, friendo.
No shit? Yeah it's almost as if you've been engaging in hyperbole this entire time instead of admitting that cultural appropriation is kind of a shitty thing regardless of how it measures up to international warfare because you've decided that your own opinions somehow trump the opinions of those ~*oh so awful tumblrinas*~ who are such lesser beings than a fedora-tipping edgelord such as yourself.
>>
>>11257881
Ironically, the Inuit guy wouldn't give a shit if he was still alive.
The only Natives who get upset are millenial tumblrinas who are culturally overcompensating because their heavily mixed with White.
>>
File: The_Forest_Poster.jpg (65KB, 509x755px) Image search: [Google]
The_Forest_Poster.jpg
65KB, 509x755px
>>11266749
>less about how christianity made it to japan and more that the concept of god and divine wrath and holy quests and demons are cool, which are completely not what the religion is about. aka appropriation

this is straight up incorrect on every level

>skinheads are supremacists of whites and white culture. these dudes have subverted the basis.

The guys in the picture are punks not Nazis.

>motoko is a fuckin robot.
>take a Japanese production where Japanese history and culture play big roles in the basis and understanding of the film
>attempt to completely remove it from that context and insert a white lead so that america can supposedly relate to it better instead of telling said story about Japanese history and culture, thereby trivializing it
>release globally for maximum profit

where have I seen this before?
>>
File: 1.png (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
26KB, 640x480px
>>11266764
>So basically, you literally can't tell the difference between culture that is given and that which is taken.
Errr.... no. I'm saying that cultures can't be taken. They don't belong to anyone, and if one culture diffuses with another, neither group "loses" their culture.

>Isn't that what I said all the way in >>11265956 ?
That is what you said. Unfortunately, I still understand the difference between the two concepts.
You fucking nailed that strawman, though. ;^)

>What are you even arguing at this point?
I'm arguing that cultural appropriation is nonissue, just like I was before.

>Cultural appropriation and cultural exchange are different things. Next.
Hold on there, cowboy. Since they're two different things, one can inhibit the other.
So, as I repeat again: The concept of cultural appropriation serves to insulate cultures and inhibits cultural exchange.

>You've already demonstrated such earlier in your comment.
So cultural appropriation isn't a nonissue that over-sheltered cucks whine about on tumblr? You're not a drama queen?
Show me how these claims are false, and then show me how that proves I don't know about cultural appropriation. One again, you really don't seem to want to give me a rational debate, here.

>you've been engaging in hyperbole this entire time
I don't think that "hyperbole" is the word you're looking for.
I'm just contrasting an issue and a nonissue.

>cultural appropriation is kind of a shitty thing regardless of how it measures up to international warfare
I don't think it's even "kind of" a shitty thing. Cultural Appropriation is good, even when it hurts people's feelings. People like you need a little bulling in your life.

>your own opinions somehow trump the opinions of those ~*oh so awful tumblrinas*~
Well, as I mentioned earlier, this is a fact. No one is dying, no one is suffering. This objectively not a bad thing.

>who are such lesser beings than a fedora-tipping edgelord such as yourself.
Pic related. Kek
>>
That girl is white as fuck lel
>>
File: cry more.jpg (55KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
cry more.jpg
55KB, 392x500px
>>11266818
>>
File: 1.jpg (101KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
101KB, 650x650px
>>11266842
>Maybe if I ignore his post, people will think I'm right
>>
File: 1.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>11266799
>this is straight up incorrect on every level
Nice argument. XD

>attempt to completely remove it from that context and insert a white lead so that america can supposedly relate to it better instead of telling said story about Japanese history and culture,
The Japs love white ladies. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the veneration of white ladies is an integral part of Japanese culture.
Here's another video for you to look at instead of totally not hiding from contradictory evidence. ;^)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXPJWODzjo

>thereby trivializing it
Trivializing it to whom? Japanese culture is still existence, and wildly popular even in the west.
>>
File: YLS1FBn.jpg (59KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
YLS1FBn.jpg
59KB, 700x467px
>>11266799
dude does the qwaser of stigmata about characters getting energy by sucking the breast milk out of titties really have anything to do with christianity

really dude. pic related

i wouldve liked an asian lead, at least not scarjo. but anyone whos a fan of the source material already knows what its about. and those who like the film will go on to explore the source material. those who don't are people who don't care about japanese culture and were never going to explore the culture. it does trivialize it in a sense but that's the mechanism which a lot of things spread. i guess the problem here is the degree of purity of the end product. would you rather a culture die or continue but "impure", because time will corrupt it regardless

also the forest is just a bad movie.
>>
>>11257765
white people arent the only people with straight hair. And most black people women with weaves have indian hair, not white people hair which is more stringy and dog like.
>>
>>11266888
>white people arent the only people with straight hair.
He said straight blonde hair," though

also
stringy hair>poo hair
>>
File: 1447351634914.png (199KB, 593x875px) Image search: [Google]
1447351634914.png
199KB, 593x875px
>>11266902
>He said straight blonde hair," though
no, he didn't

>let's say white people start demanding blacks don't wear weaves/straighten their hair

and then
>and don't dye their hair blonde

>stringy hair>poo hair
there's no need to be upset that indian hair(and asian hair in general) is better than white 'people' hair
>>
File: 1382303602001.png (59KB, 442x768px) Image search: [Google]
1382303602001.png
59KB, 442x768px
>>11266915
DESIGNATED
>>
File: poonjabi hair salon.jpg (43KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
poonjabi hair salon.jpg
43KB, 624x351px
>>11266928
SHITTING

>>11266915
>no, he didn't
He did, though
>blacks don't wear weaves/straighten their hair and don't dye their hair blonde

>there's no need to be upset that indian hair(and asian hair in general) is better than white 'people' hair
>poo in the streets
>wipe poo with hand
>poo in the hair
Sorry, just imposing my western culture. Must be the secret ingredient to great hair.
>>
woah woah woah woah
people of different races and culture should be segmented and segregated as to not harm or offend each other feelings
>>
>>11266948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKDeyuM0-Og
le kek
>>
File: 1462817455453.png (449KB, 1000x721px) Image search: [Google]
1462817455453.png
449KB, 1000x721px
>>11266940
>blacks don't wear weaves/straighten their hair and don't dye their hair blonde

yes, this is not the same as

>He said straight blonde hair," though

I know you're emotional right now so your reading comprehension may not be all the way there
>>
File: 4-25-2016 political compass.png (17KB, 480x400px) Image search: [Google]
4-25-2016 political compass.png
17KB, 480x400px
>>11266964
>what is reading comprehension
>alt right
>implying
>>
>>11266964
Indian hair is horrible. Absolutely horrible on pretty much every level, aesthetically, biologically and will typically have sub-par hygiene. The only people who think Indian hair looks good is other Indians and people who hate themselves.
>>
>>11266749
>skinheads are supremacists of whites and white culture. these dudes have subverted the basis.
just do a cursory google search of "skinhead" and find out where the culture actually came from thanks
>>
File: 20090128_landerhead_33.jpg (90KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
20090128_landerhead_33.jpg
90KB, 600x450px
>>11267035
there's a reason indian hair is used in extensions, weaves, and wigs while white """"people's"""" dog like hair isn't, you can stomp, bitch, and scream 'white geNOcide' all you want, there is no denying that indians have the best hair in the world
>>
>>11266964
>based milo
fuck thats a good one
>>
>>11257397

ayy lmao
>>
File: 1.jpg (26KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
26KB, 400x267px
>>11267171
>there is no denying that indians have the best hair in the world
Pujeet seems angry
>>
>>11266915
This picture isn't nearly as coherent as the one its based off
>>
File: Red Forman reads.png (427KB, 626x514px) Image search: [Google]
Red Forman reads.png
427KB, 626x514px
>>11266915
>Why are you saying I deserve death for something muh ancestors did!? I didnt personally do that, you anti-white bigot?
Er... What's wrong with this statement?
>>
>>11267125
i know where it came from, but you're not gonna call these guys >>11266857 strictly punk are you?
>>
My peeve is claiming white people always appropriate other cultures, never their own on Halloween.

Apparently sexy cowgirls in assless chaps, Vikings with giant horns, and lederhosen and beer maid dresses are perfectly normal examples of how Texans, Norwegians, and Germans dress everyday.
>>
File: 6f6.png (65KB, 853x665px) Image search: [Google]
6f6.png
65KB, 853x665px
>>
>>11263512
It's d walkure by metamorphose, a lolita fashion brand. There are plenty of people who would wear these items outside of a photo shoot, I shit you not.
>>
>>11264374
go back please i don't want right-wing memes and working-class resentment towards immigrants in my /fa/ soup
>>
>>11258857
>stealing
>not appropriating
nice 70s cosplay faggot
>>
>>11257881
i'm offended by how ugly and tasteless that is

i think a bigger problem than cultural appropriation is how retarded white people look in the clothes from other people's cultures like

don't wear that shit if you're not an inuit shaman

don't wear headdresses if you're not a native american warrior

dreads look like shit 99% of the time too why the fuck do you guys do this shit it's aesthetically oppressive
>>
>>11258236
>just because of a bunch of fucking hippy red indians just wanna sit around the camp fire and shit
You give them too much credit. They were as imperialistic as any other organized state, just ineffective. Incans were probably the most effective as a state in the Americas and weren't any discernibly different in their absorption of small tribal cultures as the Spanish empire's absorption of them
>>
>>11258236
you sound angry and also native americans weren't like "don't bring your nasty technology whites" they were more like "haha cool let's trade but can you not take our land and rape our women thanks we don't want to believe in jesus"
>>
>>11266764
hahaha you killed him dude
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 477x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 477x768px
>>11268667
That sounds pretty classist, commicuck
>>
>>11266764
>cultural appropriation is kind of a shitty thing

Never has been; never will be.
>>
>>11268679
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fl9HMSTHeTg
Sounds familiar
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.