[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linen shirt - sewing advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 9

File: A2297_WD5374.jpg (36KB, 418x418px) Image search: [Google]
A2297_WD5374.jpg
36KB, 418x418px
Ok guys, I am hereby summoning the tailors (and preppy boys) among us to give me some valuable advice.

I wanted to get a little dressy linen shirt for a long time. And now, since summer is gonna be here soon, I've decided to make one myself as I couldn't find any suitable and affordable online.

It's gonna be plain white, occasionally worn under a sports jacket. I've finished the pattern today and I would love to hear your opinions on following:
1- Contrast (probbaly wooden) or white buttons
2- Classic cut or make it a popover (basically a polo shirt with long, cuffed sleeves)
3- Collar type - I was thinking either club, hidden button-down or classic english. Do you think it'd look good without a collar?
4- Edges endings - just a double fold, or the most sophisticated one most dress shirts have?

I am aware that most of these come down to personal preferences, but I kept overthinking it and now I'd value some other pints of view.
>>
No love for Luxire?

Anyway, here are my recommendations:
1 - Mother of pearl buttons if you want it to be a dressy linen shirt. Wooden buttons are best suited to short sleeve or more casual detail shirts.
2 - If you make it a popover, please attach the sleeves straight out to the sides (instead of angled downwards like most OTR shirts) so you can actually have full range of motion and can put it on more easily.
3 - Collarless is not a good idea. Good club collars are hard to find (especially in linen) so if you're the kind of person who would wear club collars absolutely go for that.
4 - Are you talking about the placket? I prefer a French/sport placket that's simply folded over underneath and stitched. I prefer the stitching close to the edges because that gives cleaner lines.
>>
>>11254903
how to get into making my own clothing?
>>
>>11255058

www.google.com
>>
File: 1456703405854.jpg (9KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1456703405854.jpg
9KB, 480x480px
>>11255065
wow cheers dickhead

just recommend something you found useful to get started
>>
>>11255068

when i got started i found www.google.com useful
>>
File: 1461401704782.png (177KB, 367x321px) Image search: [Google]
1461401704782.png
177KB, 367x321px
>>11255076
aren't you funny kiddo
>>
File: costu_f3.gif (6KB, 450x200px) Image search: [Google]
costu_f3.gif
6KB, 450x200px
>>11255037
Thanks! Yeah, collarless is kinda stupid, I just thought it would be original. Never heard of Luxire before, but judging from their site they dont ship to my country anyway.
You have a good point there about sleeves attachment when making it a popover. And Yes, I meant the placket, just couldnt remember the word for it :D

>>11255058
Well, its quite hard actually. I have about 3yrs experience with making simplier garments and I am still miles away from anything more sophisticated, like jackets or even more structured trousers. You may laugh at me, but I actually started with sewing medieval shit for my friends who are reenactors. It really helped. Also, i highly recommend learning to hand stitch before you buy a sewing machine. You'll need that skill anyway, it's helpful for repairing and finishing garments you make and gives you good understanding of how seams and similar stuff work. That's how I started, so altough I'd like to help you more, I dont know any useful links for begginers.
>>
One, cheeky little bump.
>>
File: GEDC0170.jpg (2MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
GEDC0170.jpg
2MB, 4320x3240px
>>11255082
Luxire ships worldwide - I live in Canada and have a couple of shirts and pants from them that I bought before the dollar plummeted. I wanted to try detachable collar shirts so I had some of those made - useful for me, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you enjoy fussy details. Certainly not for a summer linen shirt because it completely tanks your ability to wear it open-necked.
>>
>>11255200
Oh, do they really offer detachable collars? That's pretty cool, I've always wanted a shirt like that to wear with a tux. How does it hold together? And are the collars sewn from the same fabric as the rest of the shirt itself, or felt (like single piece)?
>>
File: luxiredetachables.jpg (775KB, 2048x1260px) Image search: [Google]
luxiredetachables.jpg
775KB, 2048x1260px
>>11255323
They're incredibly, INCREDIBLY flexible with custom requirements and if you give them complicated instructions they will follow them to the letter. The collars are whatever you specify. I went for some matching fabric collars and some contrast, in various cuts so I could try out different collar styles without having a whole shirt dedicated to just one style. As far as detachable collars work, there's a buttonhole at the back of the smaller shirt collar and one at each end - buttonholes to match on the collars. They're held together with shirt studs (one long in front, one short in back - very easily found at antique stores or thrift shops if you know what they look like and usually mixed in with the cufflinks). Luxire supplies plastic ones with the shirt in case you don't have any, but metal ones are way better.
>>
File: LL.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
LL.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>11255323
Here's a picture of some collar studs and tuxedo shirt jewelry on the right
>>
>>11255347
>>11255355
Thanks anon, I might actually buy something from them one day. Coming across something actually useful, that doesn't happen really often on /fa/
>>
Last akward bump before I start making it.
>>
File: bovine.gif (3MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bovine.gif
3MB, 500x500px
>>11255347
fedora.
you are not tommy shelby. you are just a faggot.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.