[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dress Shirts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Can y'all clowns "redpill" me on dress shirts?

I got an internship at a law firm and I'm required to "dress professionally". I've had office jobs before but I usually wore polos and khakis, which isn't gonna cut it at this new place. Right now, I literally own 2 dress shirts and they don't fit me very well since I lost a bunch of weight recently.

Also, I pretty much never wear shirts, so when I do I take them to the dry cleaner, but if I start to wear them five days a week for months, this shit is gonna get expensive real quick. My building doesn't have a washing machine so I go to the laundromat. Can I just toss those babies in there? And then what? I literally have no idea of what I'm doing.

So, dress shirts, where to buy them, what to look for, what pants to wear with them, how to care for them, etc. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks.

P.S. I live in Toronto if that changes anything.
>>
Dry cleaning or machine washing is a personal choice, and comes down to cost. If you wash them at the laundromat, absolutely wash them in cold water and iron them when you get them home.

Ideally you want at least two weeks' worth of shirts so you can do laundry weekly but if you miss your opportunity it's okay. If you use undershirts, you can recycle the shirt before washing. Don't buy any shirts that are blended with polyester ever. All cotton, cotton/linen, or all linen only. Brooks Brothers is a good place to start looking. As far as pants go, clean-looking cotton khakis (not wrinkled to shit from the wash) or wool slacks (heavyweight linen may be acceptable in summer) are your options.
>>
>>11168871
1) Learn to iron. Isn't hard.
2) Get non-iron shirts so the effort required during ironing isn't great, but still iron them. Cheaper shirts also tend to be harder to iron, so don't go cheap.
3) Yes, you can toss dress shirts in the wash, but do so on a gentle cycle. Dry cleaning helps them last longer, but not by much. The collars and cuffs will begin to fray over time, and generally do before anything else - once they do, replace the shirt.
>>
>>11168939
>>11168958
Thanks.

Also, I pretty much always wear black pants. Maybe this is stated in the sticky but what other colour should I get and what colour shirt should I wear with them?
>>
>>11170156
I'd probably get something in a dark gray and maybe navy? shouldn't need more than 2-4 pairs of pants but only having black limits your pallet for "professional wear" imo
>>
>>11168871
Also, basic work shirt wardrobe suggestion, in order of necessity:

White x2 (arguably pale blue is more important on a day-to-day basis, but you have to have SOME white shirts for important days.)
Pale blue x2
Pale pink x1
White and blue thin stripe x1
White and red thin stripe x1
White and blue medium stripe x1
White-based multiple colour stripe in non garish colours x1 (Think alternating red and blue, or tonal blues, or other primary/secondary colours to taste. Alternatively, stripes bordered by black or darker tones of the colour.)

If you're tall and skinny, you should probably substitute the striped shirts for checked shirts so you don't look even more twiggy. Otherwise, you could add some after you get these basics. Don't wear the pure white shirts with just the black pants unless someone died; otherwise, any of these basic colours can combine with any colour of pant. Once you tick off the list and start thinking about alternative colours then it gets trickier, but you shouldn't worry about that until you have these basics.
>>
Don't know how fast this board is so I'm gonna bump before I go to sleep.
>>
>>11170846
Why would white shirts be associated with "important days"? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
>>
pls respond
>>
>>11170517

he wears black pants, I hope he doesn't wear a black blazer too.

>>11171116

White shirts, black suits and brown shoes are more formal than non-white shirts, navy suits and black shoes.
>>
>>11172263
Ok sounds like a weird convention but ill take your word for it.
>>
>>11170156
Don't wear black pants in a work environment. Black doesn't go with virtually any dress shirt color other than white, and in any event it makes you look like a waiter or confused paralegal. Just load up on reasonably decent dress pants that fit you well in a variety of colors - even khaki would work in most firms nowadays.
>>
on top of the other advice in this thread, id say go a little more formal on your first day, and be sure to check out what other people are wearing. then you know how relaxed the rules are etc. obviously this gets less and less true as you are not the same as the dudes whove been there for years and are essential to the operation of the firm.
if youre genuinely this hard up for info, peep the fuccbois and lurk a lot. keep an eye out for threads about color pallets. you should be able to find more than enough info on how to fit the shirts though. keep in mind you need to dress in colors appropriate for your skin tone(and eyes and hair) so a really pale white person like myself would want to stick more to lighter colors instead of super saturated bold colors.

>>11174038
>sounds like a weird convention
blue is business black is formal. and black suits go with white shirts. thats just how it works. definitely stay away from white shirts (and heaven forbid french collars/cuffs) if you arent in a suit etc.
>>
Just look at how everyone else in your office dresses and fit in. Fuck, not that hard.

Get one white shirt, one blue. Also grey and navy wool pants. Alternate that outfit. For fucks sake no khakis, unless you are in the Midwest.

You will also need a black belt, shoes, socks and possibly a tie. All understated, no patterns in the tie or socks.

You are just an intern, no need to blow your budget. All of this junk can be found at any pleb department store, $300 to $500
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.