[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey senpai, recently was in Tokyo, and decided to go to the Rick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: rickoretail.jpg (550KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
rickoretail.jpg
550KB, 2048x1536px
Hey senpai, recently was in Tokyo, and decided to go to the Rick Owens store with travelling mates. Mainly just to get the retail experience, and see how a fully fledged retail design space, including fashion, interior, exterior all com together to create the designers vision. I was disappointed in this aspect, as the retail space helped me realise Rick Owens approach to design more than just seeing his clothes online or on body ever could.

BUT, having said that, the SERVICE was atrocious. Worst I've ever experienced. This is where I want your input. How have staff treated you in Rick Owens stores? In our case... we weren't even greeted, or smiled at. Simply stared at the entire time we were in there with dead stone gazes that imitated the emotion of the cement interior.

With this said, none of us were going in there with the intention of buying anything. Being a college student I simply don't have the money, though we were all wearing nice looking clothes. And 2/4 people I was with work full time and could have easily dropped a weeks worth of salary on some clothing should they wanted to.

Did the sales assistants snuff us from the beginning based on their assumptions of us? It was strange to walk into a retail space and not even get greeted or smiled at, but simply stared at through 6 hawk eyes until we left.

How do they choose their clientele? how do they deduce who does and doesnt have money to spend in there, and in turn who they greet and treat like customers? I found this strange, because even though we may not have 'looked the part' who is to say later down the road we would all have enough $$$ to drop in a Rick Owens store? Later down the road though my only memory of the service will be this. Anyway, I found it odd and standoffish. We went into many other designer stores for a 'look' (Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen etc.) and were still greeted as actual people. At RO it was like we didn't exist to them other than being pests.
>>
>>10938400
thats just bc your foreigners, most japanese people are afraid of other ethnics. The fact that you had no intention of buying anything probably urked them even more
>>
>>10938406
This isn't true at all. In fact, 95% of the time in Japan the Japanese were very welcoming, humble and polite (at Balenciaga we had the very heavy, tall door opened for us upon entering and leaving, even though we didn't spend a cent - or yen) I found this to be great manners. At Issey Miyake (yes, a lot lower price range) they told us to feel free to try anything on.

But at Rick Owens, they just stared, and stared, and stared. Yeah, we didn't have any intention to purchase, but how were they to know that. Like I said, the people I was with DID have the income to spend on some clothes had they wanted to.

And even with that said, the fact that we took time to visit the store means we are interested in the stock (also we were dressed in similar 'style'). So we could have all been potential customers in the future, but this will be our only memory of the service should we enter a Rick Owens store in future with intention to buy.

It seems an odd way to treat customers. I'm posting here because I wonder if this is just normal, and the staff are told not to approach customers and give them space to shop (which doesn't make sense to me)

I'm not really put off by this experience, just not able to understand fully the reasons why this was the service experience.
>>
>>10938400

Echoing the other poster, this is more of a cultural problem rather than an industry. Every other Rick Owens store hires extremely personable and down to earth staff.
>>
>>10938428

lol
> R.O. could never do something poorly
>>
>>10938428
Well... im sorry but you are flat out wrong. Like I said, the whole time in Tokyo we were received pleasantly (and with more respect than in U.S.) the whole time. The Rick Owens store was one of two examples of this not happening, the other was when we went clubbing, though we didn't go to a 'gaijin' friendly club.

But I'm asking if this is usual of the Rick Owens retail experience. Is it meant to reflect the cold, emotionless interior, and the swelling repetitive techno music that is played in store. Is the whole emotionless statuesque sales person meant to be a part of 'the whole', or the sales people making judgements on us and choosing to not act based on those judgements? I cant figure it out.
>>
>>10938400

you dress like a fucking pleb stop lying to yourself and stop being so butthurt that they recognized you are nothing more than a fuccboi
>>
Iv'e interacted with the staff there, they won't approach you unless you ask them to. They are awesomely friendly and accommodating after that though.
>>
Maybe just ask for help if you want it? You didn't plan on buying anything, and didn't end up buying anything. So why does it matter if the sales staff pretended you were going to buy anything.

Personally I'd rather be able to look around by myself instead of hounded by an employee.
>>
>>10938400

ricky ricky fendi fendi prada

basic bitches wear that shit so i don't even botha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJFjXtHcy4
>>
>>10938425
Might be going to Japan soon. I don't have alot of stuff but I can look respectable, don't speak the language however. Would I be able to get into Issey Miyake?
>>
>>10938540
Issey Miyake/Pleats please staff are very very polite and helpful. In fact all of those omotesando/Aoyama store clerks are very accommodating.
Guess be respectable looking if not just for your own self esteem (get stomped on in terms of fashion there). They usually have one english friendly staff though in my experience.
>>
>>10938571
Alright, thank you.
>>
its part of the aesthetic u pleb
>>
Japanese are stuffy but dick ovens is a shit brand to begin with

I would have walked out
>>
>>10938499
kys fr
>>
I went multiple times at the RO store in Milan, and the staff is extremely kind. I'm 18 years old and I was with my girlfriend and we were dressed pretty well, but I dont think that really matters. I had a beautiful experience, a girl helped me with some informations about the geobaskets, she was extremely cute with me and had patience. I would say that in Milan is a lot better than a lot of other stores. In via montenapoleone if u are young and ur not wearing some super expensive watch they didn't even look at you, they seem to know if you are going to buy something or not
>>
Never been to RO store in Paris but have some experience with l'eclaireur and everytime they were very kind

I guess the staff in tokyo's RO store isn't very sympathetic
>>
what are the pre-requisites to work at a rick owens store or comparable boutique retail?
>>
I've been in the RO store in London wearing jeans and a tee before.

had a 45 minute discussion with one of the guys about pretty much everything, was pretty sweet. They did follow me around when I was having a look though.

When I went in again a few months later wearing Rick and some other designer stuff they let me wonder about and do as I please pretty much, all really nice people.

I'm going to put it down to a cultural thing and a pretentiousness thing. Sure the other stores were fine but that doesnt automatically make every store the same does it?

You probably wernt wearing anything which would put you aside into the 'fashionable' group, and they probably picked up on that.

Also you didnt even try and react with them at all either, I greet everyone when I walk into a store (by name if I know them a bit better)

They probably just wanted you to go home american piggu
>>
>bitches about their autism flare-up when they are greeted by store attendants
>bitches about not being greeted by store attendants who are having an autism flare up

/fa/ ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>10938400
Hey I've been to the same Rick Owens store.
I agree, it feels like entering a church - I felt totally place. But I really didn't mind, because I WAS out of place - I had no idea what I was doing there, I wasn't going to buy anything, and they could probably tell.

Now.

While I was there, some Japanese guy stepped in - and made a beeline to the central rack. Immediately the staff flocked to him, about four or five staff surrounding him, helping him pick out clothes - he looked like he owned the place.
I guessed he was probably a celebrity of some sort, maybe an actor or a model.

You go into a Rick Owens store if you can afford their shit, not otherwise - so don't complain when the service is lacking.
>>
The guys in the Paris Rick Owens store are chill and friendly. Also the Dover Street Market in London was nice too, I talked with the japanese clerk in the Rick Owens corner, not even about clothes.
>>
>>10938847
DSM is fucking great.
>>
File: WinkyRicky.gif (297KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
WinkyRicky.gif
297KB, 500x281px
>>10938850
>>
>>10938400
i was in tokyo too. the stores i liked in order were:

Prada
Yohji
Issey Miyake

Prada was just so well done, on another level of the others

i went on a few dates with a chick who worked at yohji in the mens section and she said management are real cunts though. they make the staff buy clothes from their section to boost sales when sales are low. so she has to buy menswear because thats what section she is in. and she gets shit all salary so some weeks she barely brings income home
>>
>>10938854
>they make the staff buy clothes from their section to boost sales

This is illegal.

Maybe not in Japan though
>>
I would probably have stared too, if I saw some autistic neckbeard waddling into my store.
>>
>>10938400
I was in the store in London and being fresh off of /fa/ with my poor attempt at wearing geos I was nervous, especially when the 4-5 staff members in this store with no customers were in head to toe Rick.
I walked around a while, someone eventually came into the rooms I was in the pretend to fold clothes or something, after about 20 minutes I left.
They seemed very nice despite being intimidating, stopped their conversation to welcome me and ask if I needed anything and so on.
desu I only went to sit on the Rick chairs in the changing rooms that a creepy versions of Rick's body but they just had normal chairs. 6/10
>>
>wow we went windowshopping in a super high end shop probably dressed in our zumiez tshirts as obvious tourists in a xenophobic country and nobody wanted anything to do with us just wow you guys
>>
>>10938856
it's also illegal there, but nobody cares

overworking your employees is also illegal in japan but you know...
>>
>>10938877
Not greeting your costumer has nothing to do with the country, it's just poor costumer care.
>>
i went to the seoul store in full rick. really bad experience. terrible music. i expected something like the music that plays during his runway shows. i got really depressing dreary music. that combined with the general aesthetic of the interior made me want to walk straight out. staff were very underwhelming and walk right behind you and moved everything i picked up and looked at literally 5 seconds after i put it down
>>
>>10938400
was planning on saving up to go to the new RO store in LA and at the time asked if anyone else had been there. and some people responded saying that the staff was nice.

Not sure how they're supposed to act at the location you went to, but it' might be the fact that you're a foreigner.
>>
i thought rick owens whole 'thing' was that its meant to be complete shit?

or is there another reason you guys wear bin liners around your legs?
>>
>>10938400
>Tokyo
mite be just cultural differences
>>
>>10938464
How long have you been in Japan?

Many Japanese people are very happy to work with foreigners, that's absolutely true, but I'm kinda surprised you haven't gotten the "deer in the headlights"/hiding look more than at Rick Owens. Lots of Japanese people know English in theory but kinda get intimidated when a random gaijin shows up and they feel like they might have to actually speak English. It's no different in the U.S. with people who kinda-sorta learned Spanish in highschool but who can't speak a word nowadays.

I've had phenomenally positive experiences at some places (the Ralph Lauren in Harajuku, some of the weirder corner stores there, Muji, etc.) and some "deer in the headlights" ones (the Golds Gym above the Zara, a UNIQLO in Ginza, etc.).
>>
kek I went to a SLP store when I was 18 and pretended I was Russian nouveau riche (I know a Slavic language and my dad actually called me so I was just talking shite) staff came to me pretty quick eventhough I wasn't wearing anything that special. They just base it on how wealthy you look, however being wealthy does not mean being fashionable, as all those 'wealthcore' threads proved when they were made.

I'm honestly not intimated by staff anymore, as the shops I tend to enter are for brands I really my shit about so when I chat with them I don't sound like an idiot.
>>
thats weird OP . literally every rick boutique ive been to ive had the best service in my life. Better than Louis Vuitton, Tom Ford, Balenciaga, Givenchy. all of that shit. Rick was the best . their employees are down to earth as fuck. Theyre very warm and smile a lot. the rick store i been to was the one in Tokyo, Seoul, and the new Los Angeles one.
>>
>>10938847
Everybody I talked to in DSM London was incredibly nice. One guy literally walked down three flights of stairs to get me a glass of water.
>>
A few people here seem to be intimidated by the idea that they're going to be judged by staff for not buying anything. Fuck that. It's their job to stock something worth buying, not your job to buy it because you walked through the door.

If we're talking about brands with strong aesthetics its in their best interest to give you a good experience so you'll maybe come back and buy in the future. If you feel guilty for browsing or you feel like you're being sold a used car, they're doing something wrong.
>>
>>10938400

Not your blog neckbeard.

Go cry how some underpaid moron didn't make you feel special.
>>
>>10938425
kek I visited the exact same store some weeks ago
the shop people seem to be just uncomfortable with english even though they understand it well
they probably didn't greet you because they didn't know whether to start the conversation in english or japanese
most foreirgners who have lived in japan for long time are very annoyed when people greet them in english
neverthless I was more comfortable with just peacefully looking than having people following me around (like in the other RO store I visited in europe)
they were very nice when I asked about the clothes and tried some on
>>
>>10938400
Went to owens store in Paris to maybe buy some tees. The staff didn't even acknowledge my existence. Will never go back there again.
>>
>>10943003
On the other hand, I also went to the Owens corner at Paris' Galeries Lafayette. The guy was really nice.
>>
>>10938400
caring so much about shit like this is bad
ive been to the paris rick store with my gf, hands down the best retail experience ever, the guy there saw us walking outside and literally did a little run to the door and held it open for us with a smile on his face, prolly had something to do with me being draped in rick gear. we then browsed the store for a while, i tried a few jackets, my gf tried on the crazy expensive reptile skin jacket, i remember making a comment about it costing as much as a car, and the guy said something along the lines of "yeah, but who needs a car in paris?", when we were talking on the ground floor a chick came in dressed in some basic girl, seemed to work there, every employee welcomed her, even the goth anorexic grandad one, theyre like a hapy disfunctional familly in there, ended up not buying anything as they didnt have the specific items i was looking for, but they gave me a lookbook, m&m s, a bottle of water and a dustbag to carry all of that. really made my day. im going to japan, in a month, and you have encouraged me to do an experiment, ill go to the rick store twice, once dressed as a pleb in mid range shit, and the other time dressed in rick gear and see how the sale assistants react
>>
>>10938400
ITT: OP didn't actually go to the Rick Owens store. OP is merely telling us a story

>inb4 B8m7
>>
>>10943029
>once dressed as a pleb in mid range shit, and the other time dressed in rick gear and see how the sale assistants react

yes plz
>>
>>10938400
I feel like this everywhere I go, it's why I don't leave my house.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.