[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WORK BOOT ADVICE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: ups.jpg (47KB, 797x797px) Image search: [Google]
ups.jpg
47KB, 797x797px
just got hired by UPS (under paid slaves).

going to start out as a pt package handler/sorter. basically, move ~2000 boxes that weigh usually 20-40 lbs (max 70) into or out of trailers for 3-5 hours. I need boots that can take the stress. I've never bought boots.

It needs to be/have:
1 black/dark brown (company policy)
2 hard toe cover (in case a box drops)
3 ankle coverage

I read the sticky. There weren't a lot of options, and some of the suggestions on there were way above my budget (500 USD; im2poor).

cheap shoes are shit, so I'm willing to pay $150-250, maybe more for my first boots.

need advice, especially from /fa/gs with experience with warehouse jobs.

oh. also, tennis shoe suggestions from tennis players? My adidas barricade 6 is a fucking tank.
>>
For boots, definitely check out Red Wing and Wolverine. They're going to be at the upper-limit of your price range but will last for many, many years.
>>
>>10863467
You're better off asking /out/ or even /k/ in gear threads.

These underage australian faggots know nothing in terms of functionality.
>>
Nike workboots, i use them for the post office. About $90.
>>
>>10863467
Ayyyy what's up brown brother

I do the same thing, except at FedEx. Look up Belleville boots on eBay, definitely the best value. I have 3 pairs of MCB 950s that I alternate between and they hold up great.
>>
>>10863591
>>10863482
Also, don't take these guys advice. I've bought wolverines, Danners, and Red Wings during my time working at FedEx. Red Wings held up the best, but they truly aren't great value due to the fact that you will wear the shit out of them in a relatively short amount of time.

You also want to be prepared for the summer, too. You will be baking alive in the trailers, and I've found it is definitely best to have a breathable boot. This is wear the Belleville boots really come in handy. They are built very well and offer excellent support (at least for me, I have normal arches).
>>
I work there and don't bother just buy some basic boot
Honestly I just wear basic non slip shoes from Wal-Mart and I'm fine
>>
Ayye Anon how did you get a job there? How was the application process?

Asking because I'm tired of my retail job and human interaction and working at a warehouse doesn't sound so bad
>>
>>10863467
How about you go to a work clothing store you enormous faggot?
>>
Lol op, I've worked there for 2 years. Try to find a better job while your there. Do it before your pay starts going up and you start gaining senority.
>>
>>10863467
Timberland PRO
there's a few different styles
under $200
very comfortable

I have a pair for demo work, I beat the shit out of them, and they hold up for about a year.
You'll should be able to get 2+ years out of them lifting boxes.
>>
>>10864592
Why
>>
>>10864592
Because you'll fall into the trap and slave there forever. Gain an education brother
>>
>>10865336
But then again you can do whatever the fuck you want, I'm just an anonymous voice on a Chinese cartoon image board
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 486x730px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 486x730px
FedEx Ground master race reporting in.

Enjoy your inferior long 12' trailers with no belly for easier loading and shit pay. Also, disregard this >>10863628 cock sucker, he obviously has hideous troglodyte feet. This guy >>10863638 knows his shit, you won't get called out unless you have an anal manager/supervisor. They're also for your protection so just don't be a dumbass. I wore my running shoes for 5 weeks straight during summer (totally destroyed) and wear (newer) shoes every once in a while still.

My daily boots (going on 3 years) are Red Wing http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2244-red-wing-shoes/2244-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown
-Composite toe and insulated so your toes don't freeze.
-Missing a piece of frontal rubber sole
-Worn shiny leather toe, but no breaks/cracks
-Inside worn/torn heel

Not bad for a third year. Admittedly unsightly if you lace them up. Better if worn with boot cut jeans, as it improves the silhouette. BEST if broken in, ankle left unlaced, tongue flap sticking out, sides bending out- worn with skinny jeans, shorts and joggers. This creates an appealing contrast between your thin leg and a clunky boot.
>>
>>10864346
very very easy to get into. I applied online thru snagajob. you might find them in monster or some other job searching site.

the burn out rate in 3 weeks is 75%. so they hire any muscle as long as you pass drug/background check.

they tour your through their warehouse. they explain it's not an easy job. very physically demanding. if you seem/are earnest and look built, you get the job.

so 1. warehouse tour 2. background check 3. interview 4. work

>>10864398
any recommendations? cintas? I really don't know since I'm not really knowledgeable in fashion.

>>10864592
i heard pt management is hell on earth. you gotta deal with upper management and the union. if I land a drivers gig, i'll get paid bank in time, but pretty much /nolifeallwork/. the deal is drivers get paid 85k eventually, but that has to do with senority and union stuff.

I pretty much got into UPS because they'll pay your tuition (max 5k), and I've maxed out my weights in my home gym, so I need something else to keep/better my body mode.

>>10865472
thanks brother. any suggestions for pants/shirt? they said to keep multiple layers and have a gallon of water to drink once in a while.
>>
>>10865482
I've included pant recs. It comes down to what you own/are comfortable working in. Some people wear their same jeans and shirts day in and out rain, snow or sun.

Personally:
>15F and below
-Tshirt, sweater, hoodie, jacket
-Slim fit jeans (skinnys too tight to move in)
-Insulated socks, boots
>30-16F
-long sleeve T+Tshirt/undershirt+long sleeve T, jacket/coat
-joggers
-insulated socks, boots
>55-31F
-Undershirt, Tshirt, hoodie
-joggers
-boots/shoes
>65-56F
-Tshirt, hoodie
-joggers/shorts
-boots/shoes
>105-66F
-Tshirt/thin Tshirt(talking H&M see through thin), sometimes a hoodie if it's windy, mostly just to "complete my fit"
-shorts
-boots
-if they'd let you work in boxers and boots I'd do it it gets so hot!

Water, ibuprofen, snack and work gloves are also my daily necessities.
>>
Just hope you don't get put on small sort. That was the worst job ever.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 549x431px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 549x431px
>>10863467
Doc martens Winch steel toe, you can get them for like $70 and there really comfortable
>>
>>10865472
That picture is fucking horrid.
>>
>>10863467
D A N N E R
A
N
N
E
R
>>
>>10865870
this, honestly
>>
>>10865482
Yeah dude driver top pay is around 48/h. But expect to be waiting upwards 10+ years as a part time employee
>>
Would the FSB work out?
>>
>>10865857
Your opinion is fucking horrid. Stick to your high top sneakers, pleb.
>>
>>10865472
confirmed for working in smalls with the old women and cheap whores

IC belt is where it's at son
>>
>>10867988
>IC belt

You mean that one job where all the old men and weak basic bitches who can't actually load or unload work? I may be skinny, but I'm not the one doing a pussies job, faggot. You're probably even the shitty type of belt worker who stands around like a dumbass lazy shit instead of jumping in the trailers and helping out when you have no ICs.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>10868299
Son, I've gotten a masters band from loading, the belt, and unloading. Can you even lift a bowflex tread climber? How about tractor tires? Has your load rate ever climbed past 700/hour? Have you loaded an entire rail by yourself in less than 2 hours?

(emoji fire x3)
>>
Geobastards
>>
first off OP

>>10863482
>>10863591
don't listen to these cretins, neither of these have hard toe covers or good ankle support. In all honesty your job isn't /fa/ and it won't be filled with /fa/ people so who gives a shit what it will look like, you'll be in a warehouse, not a fucking catwalk. Just find some comfy steel toe caps and wear those. They'll be ugly as shit but who cares, you can't put a price on your comfort or not having your toes crushed under my order of dragon dildos.

/out/ will better answer your question
>>
>>10865482
what's the pay senpai?
>>
>>10863467
>tennis shoe suggestions from tennis players?
I play futures and play in a div 1 college

Just get the asics
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Asics_Gel_Resolution_6_Stealth/descpageMSASICS-AMGR6CS.html
pretty cheap on tw atm. I train 2-3 hours a day and these are comfy and my knees don't feel achy like the nike zoom vapor 9.5 did
>>
>>10869512
10.15/hr starting but you have to pay union dues for a few weeks. they cover your tuition though and you get health care and shit. not too bad for a part time job but still :/
>>
>>10868760
>son
>m-maybe if I act like a b-b-big g-guy f-f-4 him
What are you trying to prove, miss belt picker?
>tfw I sit at a comfy 450
>>
>>10868760
But do elaborate on "tractor tires", as the biggest tires we get are 120lbs, which definitely are NOT tractor tires.
>>
>>10868857
I always wonder, what goes on in people's heads when they are about to post this
>>
File: RH-03140-2-pdp.jpg (34KB, 530x480px) Image search: [Google]
RH-03140-2-pdp.jpg
34KB, 530x480px
>>10863467
hey op, don't know if you're still here or not but i've done the job you just got hired on for four years now and i wear pic related, red wing heritage chukkas

seems like you might have been fed some shit by the people who hired you but i've never heard of needing hard toe covers. if you buy these just lie and say they have one, trust me when i say no one is gonna ask though. management are a fucking joke and generally don't care as long as what you're wearing somewhat resesmbles boots and isn't a pair of white jordans (i've seen this multiple times)

anyway though my first pair of these lasted about two years and when i got them resoled i think they did a shit job and the soles started peeling. then i found another pair on sale for 180 so i got them. the sole on these is some sort of different material but it seems alright. after you break them in they're very comfortable too
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 600x800px
>>10869960
>>10869971
I'm talking about these tires. Normally weigh between 100 to 130 lbs. And they always come in sets of 4 or 6.

I ended today loading 540. Honestly, I like my job a lot, but it is quite taxing on my back, family.
>>
I've worked in a metal fab shop for 10 years. The only brands of boots that have not disappointed me are red wing and Canada west. Timberlands felt cheap and wore fairly quick. Wolverines were very okay but nothing special. Avoid brands like cat, dickies, and doc marten.
>>
>>10870021
you've got to be trolling
>>
>>10870100
Yeah, those are them. The smaller ones weigh ~80-100, the heavier ones ~120. I just called them 'trailer tires', because I've seen trailers with similar tires.
>>
Get blundestones, op. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They do have a version with all the requirements you need.
>>
>>10863467
I've been working there almost 5 years now, i dont even wear steel toe boots anymore since I pickoff, just black vietnam jungle boots so the metal detectors don't go off at the guard shack.
>>
>>10871107
this guy
steel toes are a big waste of time when you have to jump up ladders for jams
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.