[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to be /fa/ at Deep Springs College?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: Deep Springs FA.jpg (87KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Deep Springs FA.jpg
87KB, 600x450px
Deep Springs College is a two year high academic high labor college located on a ranch just north of death valley. ( more info can be found here: http://www.deepsprings.edu/ )

How can I maintain /fa/ surrounded by a bunch of farmer boys who ridicule traditional "high fashion" and what is the best /fa/ work-wear. I need sturdy work boots, warm overcoats, and tough jeans.

Maybe some western inspo as well considering the location of the college
>>
you're shit out of luck dude. Unless you're ok with being made fun of by everyone around you.

Just wear levis,flannels, and cowboy boots for your own good
>>
Looks very comfy actually, but
>Liberal Arts

Kekity kek
>>
>>10739744
>2015
>not getting Liberal Arts educated
The most /fa/ major by far.
>>
>>10739744
It is called a liberal arts school but most students transfer out to major in whatever they want at a 4 year university (60% of the class of 2006 went to harvard and one of the macarthur genius grant winners from the school was a geologist, so there is some STEM up in there.)
>>
>>10739760
This has to be bait.

>>10739624
Cowboys are really effay. Dress Americana and such. I suggest taking a look at the /smg/ thread.

>>10739656
>>10739656
>>10739656
>>
>>10739767
I don't know that thread was shat on a lot, nothing really relatable there although I think an acne sweater with gender equality or radical feminism on it would be a pretty witty ironic wear at an all boys college
>>
>>10739624
Your parents sent you to a work camp?
>>
File: Deep Springs max FA.jpg (42KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
Deep Springs max FA.jpg
42KB, 600x402px
>>10739826
No, they don't want me to go, but it is an unparalleled academic experience
>>
>>10739835
:^)
>>
File: 0.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>10739624
Have fun.
>>
File: 1439189913120.png (302KB, 339x358px) Image search: [Google]
1439189913120.png
302KB, 339x358px
>>10739835
>unparalleled academic experience
as a management student, this is the most stupid shit i´ve heard in my life, this is the worst you can do for your academic and professional life, unless your loife goals is to won a ranch or a farm

>so, anon, here says you´ve been to a ranch for two years and you have a degree in ... herdsmen?
>thats right ya´ll *shoots his guns and tips his cowboy hat*

good luck kiddo
>>
>>10739624
lol I remember that my collage counselor suggested that collage for me... fuck that shit I went to UC santa cruz instead
>>
>>10739980
>98% of graduates transfer to a 4 year institution
>Most commonly Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Brown, UC Berkeley, Oxford
>You can essentially take your pick for college when you transfer
>hav fun wid gunz ehehehe
>>
>>10739980
>98% of students transfer to a 4-year university at the end of the 2 years
>Most commonly Harvard, Yale, Cornell, UC Berkeley, Brown, and Oxford
>You get to take your pick whatever school you want after two years
>hab fun wid gunz lelele
>>
>>10739624
are you noa
>>
>>10740050
is that an acronym? because if it's a name then no
>>
>>10739980
Holy shit you fucking idiot, I actually know someone who goes there, smartest fucking kid I know. He is going to go to Harvard next year, and in ten years he will probably be some of our bosses. Jesus Christ get gud fagit
>>
Where is the western core
>>
>>10740020
Probably why you can't tell the difference between "college" and "collage"
>>
>>10740768
kek
>>
my buddy went here and said that everyone literally dressed out of a communal clothing pile on the floor of their dorm

but w.e dude fieldwork is modern couture
>>
>>10741360
That sounds neat, I heard about that pile. Thanks for the input, man!
>>
>>10739624
Godspeed world changer.
>>
>>10739624
Op how was the application process? And did you transfer from a college or go straight in from high school. I've been really interested in this school for a long time.
>>
>subtle prestige flexing
i see you op i was gonna shit on you but cacs out here getting educated
>>
>>10741579
highschool, it used to be longer/harder but now it has gotten more manageable. I find you really have to feel that this is the place for you. I know it sounds cliché but I've seen people with higher raw scores get dropped in favor of someone with a more personal essay. It takes a combination of the high scores and the raw emotion to make it
>>
>>10741577
>>10741582
Thank you guys both, really means a lot. I do value the opinions of strangers.
>>
>>10741753
yo op i've been reading more about this place its so cool. im no where near ballsy enough to go (or smart enough to get in obvi) but that you are is so dope, congrats on being my boss in 10 years.

also
>goal school population of 26
>26 kids
>the entire school

how is it that
>>10740065
>>10741360
both knew someone who went there? ive rubbed shoulders w some smart dudes on here but at a place like this, damn.

OP what was your sat
>>
>>10741763
2370, I know I'm kind of flexing but I only took it once without really studying for it. But to be fair testing has been my strongsuit and gpa maybe not so much (I'm around a 3.6/4.0).
>>
>>10741771
respect, i was similar w being good at testing but not grades lol. what made you wanna go to deep springs over anywhere else? also have you committed already or are you still deciding
>>
>>10741901
No other school offers the same amount of challenge to every part of you. You don't go to Deep Springs to learn so much as you do to change. The labor program pushes your physical body to the limits and through that you gain a degree of invaluable experience, through the unparalleled rigor of the academics you gain a respect for knowledge itself and a drive to learn that you don't have if you're just trying to grind for gpa, and the level of self governance - the ability to choose classes, rules, incoming students, and even professors - and the amount of responsibility you have for those around you cultivates virtue, citizenship, and caring. No other school can provide this amount of push, and it all happens in sucha unique community and starkly beautiful campus. To attend deep springs is a horribly terrifying prospect, but it is also an incredibly exciting one. I know I have romanticized it a bit, but even the reality of late night studying/reading, hours out in the field, and furious discourse are still brutal instruments of change. So whatever attitude you go in with - whether you carry optimism or cynicism - it will change you and challenge every part of you.

And that isn't for everyone certainly, that's why only about 300 people apply every year, but platos allegory of the cave does a good job of illustrating that the path out of the cave is long, arduous, and painful - even seeing the light at the end of the journey is painful - and there is a degree of reluctance to see that light. I just value that light, that unclouded perception of the world, over the pain it takes to get there.
>>
>>10742811
I know this sounds terribly pretentious, and for that I apologize. I don't mean to sound like a douchebag - this is what I truly believe. If the idea of change, challenge, and truth excite you then by all means please apply.

Even if I hadn't made it I would still have been happy. I learned so much about myself and the world around me in the process and it motivated me to pick up my academic slack. I'd like to think that the school changing me before I even got there or had even seen it is a testament to it's power.

I hope this can inspire some up and coming fashion-loving intellectual to apply. Although it certainly isn't the most chic place - fashion is an art form with meaning behind it, and they respect art
>>
>>10742815
afraid i cant be inspired to apply, im already in college, plus i doubt my 2080 couldve gotten me in lol. just admirable is all
>>
>>10739767
>engineers /fa/
>mathematicians /fa/
>accountants /fa/

costanza
>>
wish i'd heard about this when i was high school. i'm over 25 and have a ba but feel like this place is what i needed. what i still need desu.
>>
File: 148_1deepsprings007.jpg (326KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
148_1deepsprings007.jpg
326KB, 1800x1200px
When I googled deep springs college this image came up, seems pretty /fa/ to me
>>
>beautiful, isolated ranch
>simple life, work and study
>live with smart people instead of inbred rednecks

are there more places like this
>>
>>10744109
There have been a few spin-off projects. One a summer camp called the arete project for women. Another one is being developed in alaska.

>>10743853
You could always transfer, it's free so you don't lose much more than your time.
>>
>>10739787
>sweater with gender equality or radical feminism on it would be a pretty witty ironic wear at an all boys college

cringe post of the day.
>>
>>10744132
was posted yesterday
>>
File: deep springs is quite :fa:.jpg (51KB, 553x369px) Image search: [Google]
deep springs is quite :fa:.jpg
51KB, 553x369px
pretty effay if you ask me
>>
did you get in op?
>>
>>10744333
getting there, made the first cut which is the biggest
>>
>>10744337
good luck
>>
>>10744346
Thanks man
>>
paging patty bates, only tripfag I respect on here
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.