[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are clothes so expensive? I can buy a camera for the price

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1445279611535.jpg (1MB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1445279611535.jpg
1MB, 1500x1200px
why are clothes so expensive?

I can buy a camera for the price of a shirt
or a hundred tins of beans

you look at the quality spread in the market, the cost increase is disproportionate

fashion followers are being taken for a ride
>pic unreated
>>
File: 1434147840282.png (2MB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1434147840282.png
2MB, 1067x1600px
yea
>>
>>10689666
you're honestly buying something because of the value, hype, and "streetcred" it has.

you're buying something expensive with an expensive brand because you want to advertise that you are the upper-class.

clothes are fucking cheap. clothes that will do their job are fucking cheap.

clothes that last long or have experimental fabric are mid-range in price.

after the practical level, you're not paying for the clothes anymore but the title that comes with owning the clothes.
>>
>>10689726
definite
>>
>>10689726
This
>>
fashion kind of sucks as a hobby because its pretty hard to get into true appreciation levels without dropping a ton of dosh or doing thrift store rags, here's my marlboro windbreaker type stuff

most forms of design appreciation/hobbyism have a low baseline, but fashion is complicated with the fact that its so ubiquitous , both today and historically, as not only a craft for appreciation but simply a wealth displaying device, and arguably as a way to target the wealthy for repeat buys/big purchases (everyone buys clothes, and people shop according to their class; think of it almost like a booster pack of trading cards for the wealthy when they pop into selfridges and drop a few thousand)

if you truly appreciate fashion, learn how to dealfind (yahoo japan, grailed, your local estate liquidator or thrift store) and/or make clothes yourself.

Most fashion forums are a decent trove of information, but unfortunately because wealth display is often a bandage of the insecure as a vehicle of discussion or criticism its really hard to find a forum where people don't degrade into name calling or brand riding
>>
>>10689774
just to clarify on the rich people/big purchase stuffd; most of the profit on clothign comes from a very high margin, which is why it can afford to be sold to a liquidator to be resold at 70% and still make a profit.

It's quite similar to the "whale" concept in freemium games
>>
>>10689781
Go on.
>>
tfw I spent $110 on a t-shirt last week that no one but me will appreciate

feels good
>>
i'd rather pay a little extra for something that doesn't feel like a used cumrag 2bh
>>
>>10689791
its not very complicated

margins are just very large on high end fashion because the consumer will pay for it.

im specifically talking about how a lot of "freemium" video games will have absurdly priced goods that are not targetted at the general consumer but rather are known that they will be marketted as extremely exclusive and coveted by those that afford it simply by the price

a lot of big box retailers are charging particularly high margins on their goods, this usually applies to places like selfridges. I have a friend in warsaw who works at ueg, they sell their tyvek for about $100 domestically so i have it ship it to me whereas selfridges charges about 250 pounds for the same jacket. I'm lucky because ueg charges a much lower price domestically but many brands obviously don't offer a lower price direct as to keep demand high from big boxes/sale contracts and the like
i used to work at an atelier that carried more along the lines of ccp and carpe diem and i will say those products are not cheap even at a wholesale cost, but the marketing and general target audience is different for guidi than to slp, even how they operate from the top down and scale so i'd be hesitant to include them in the generalization

however currently today a pretty good example of this is that there is a plethora of brands all working to undercut each other that skip the made in italy tag and compete in pricing with made in portugal or made in romania clothing, most mid/highish brands are doing this, but even gucci has moved to portugal

at the high end there are just not that many material suppliers, so most of these brands are getting similar quality materials and similar prices yet their prices vary wildly. obviously a generalization but a significant amount of work as well as price calculation is done strictly on brand
>>
>>10689666
most clothing is actually pretty cheap.

only real designer clothing is a bit overpriced. but you pay for design, the materials, the quality and that it wasn't made in some shit country by children.
>>
>>10689726
>after the practical level, you're not paying for the clothes anymore but the title that comes with owning the clothes.
Nah
People have different values when it comes to buying clothes, simplifying it this much is plain bullshit.
>>
File: 1449440499156.gif (4MB, 298x150px) Image search: [Google]
1449440499156.gif
4MB, 298x150px
>>10689726
>2016
>being insecure
>caring about projecting a title with your clothes
>>
>>10689902
>implying you don't do it to project an image/impress people
>>
>>10689666

marketing m8

doing it that way makes u more money and is better for your brand
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.