[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /diy/, I've got a question. For an electronics project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: abs.jpg (79KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
abs.jpg
79KB, 600x426px
Hey, /diy/, I've got a question.

For an electronics project I'm using an ABS plastic enclosure. I've got a nice handheld drilling machine, but no saw.
I need to make some holes in this material, I can do small circular holes with that drill.

But what for kind of drill bits do I need? Are wood drills fine? And for square holes, I was thinking of making four circular holes but I need a saw to do the rest. What kind do i need?
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 800x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 800x350px
>>935888
Wood bits will be fine on abs.

For a square hole I would either use a file and file the corners of the drill hole square, or get image related.
>>
>>935894
The square holes are quite bigger than what most drill bits can do so I was thinking about a small saw like a fretsaw, but I think those saws are too thin and breakable to get through plastics.

I will look for those kinds of saws at the hardware store tomorrow.
>>
>>935888
>Drill at corners of the square
>connect the dots with a saw?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your predicament.
>>
>>935898
Coping saw will a fine tooth blade will work just fine. Just be a Puerto Rican and buy a cheap plastic one and some blades and return the saw and blades to the store when your done...
>>
>>935888
if you don't care how your box or fingers look at the end then you can just use a stanley knife or whatever you call it in your country.

if you want it neat lay it out on a computer then print it onto a sticker and stick it on. make sure you have solvent that agrees with your box to get it off again.
>>
>>935888
Trips WITNESSED

Do you have a Dremel, OP?
>>
File: 512vNqOTyZL._SX300_.jpg (16KB, 300x280px) Image search: [Google]
512vNqOTyZL._SX300_.jpg
16KB, 300x280px
>>935888
Remember to do all the drilling really slow, if you don't the plastic will melt and make the holes look bad. As of the square holes, you can use a sheet metal neebler (pic related), I use it all the time for cutting plastic and metal and it works really great.
>>
>>935994
sheet metal nibbler, sorry
>>
>>935888
If you don't care what it does to it, you can just melt the holes out with a cheap soldering iron.

This can scale to small batches if you make a template out of sheet metal.
>>
>>935994
why the fuck do tin snips and aviation scissors still exist
this thing looks sexy as hell
>>
>>936006
For cutting shipping straps.
>>
>>935970
Nah, if I would I probably wouldn't ask this question hehe.

>>935902
Yes
>>
>>936007
what do you mean like metal ones?
>>
>>936028
Yeah.
>>
>>936031
oh. never seen metal ones before. just plastic.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.