[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here done mold remediation? I'm looking to buy a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: mold-growth-underside-roof-deck.jpg (76KB, 572x428px) Image search: [Google]
mold-growth-underside-roof-deck.jpg
76KB, 572x428px
Anyone here done mold remediation? I'm looking to buy a house but there's mold in the attic. I know I can ask the seller to remedy, but is this something that is putting me off. We know the source and would update ventilation to minimize moisture in the attic, but is there anything else that could cause me pain?

The last thing I want is for it to come back after closing.
>>
>>916026
the roof is leaking
unless the roof gets replaced walk away
dont fall for the retards telling you its a good idea to buy a shithole to fix because they watched a tv show
>>
>>916026
Mold is just a myth
>>
File: Capture.jpg (156KB, 857x479px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
156KB, 857x479px
well shit, I like the house otherwise. but I already own a lemon of a house and I don't want to do it again.

this is a better picture, still looks like water damage to you?
>>
>>916038
Yeah, don't buy that house, anon. Guaranteed to cause you problems in the future.
>>
>>916038
mold does not just form out of the blue especially on that scale
its a red flag for major problems
>>
>>916037
so that's imaginary black fuzzy growth?
>>
>>916026
I think some remediation places can guarantee you it won't return if you pin the source down and let them fix it. They usually pull the old insulation out, clean off the mold, coat with antimicrobial goo and put new insulation in. I've dealt with a few mold problems. It's a mysterious substance and some molds can temporarily retard you, but once exposure is gone you can recover fully.
>>
>>916026
that roof is kill, op, dont

it is scam, 100% sure, the roof is 100% kill, no doubt whatsoever
>>
>>916038

It rains here 24/7 and high humidity 365 of the year and I have never seen a roof that bad.
>>
>>916026
He better be giving you a big discount, and you better understand how much a full roof is going to cost.
>>
>>916026

it looks like ventilation problems. if you buy you better be ready to gut the entire place if necessary for the sake of health. they sell cheap mold tests to check the interior.
>>
>>916026
Sometimes you have to take a gamble. Because if you don't buy it I guarantee you someone else will and they will get rid of the mold. I just bought a house with a leak in the roof damage all the way to the basement. Mold etc. But really roof is fairly new. I would just pay an experienced inspector. They are use to seeing a variety of crazy things and can give you a more objective opinion into what you are getting into.
>>
>>916102
That's what I was thinking of telling him. I've had that problem starting and added a vent before it got bad.
>>
File: Eject_eject_eject.jpg (83KB, 750x485px) Image search: [Google]
Eject_eject_eject.jpg
83KB, 750x485px
>>916026
>>
>>916038

Now that the problem has been identified, it must be disclosed in the listing. This may or may not benefit you. Like someone else said, that looks like a ventilation problem which could work to your advantage if you really are devoted to this house. Remediation will require blasting of the sheathing. What did you see when you were up there? Was there any soffet vents, roof vents, both too close together? Does the dryer vent into the attic? This mold came from somewhere...
>>
>>916038
You've got two options.

1) spend an ass load of money hiring an abatement company to blast all of that with dry ice. You'll need new insulation too, and will likely require some sheathing replacement.

2) tear off your entire roof and reroof it, and install new insulation.

In either case you'll want to hire someone to clean the fuck out of your furnace if it's forced air.
>>
That's defiantly a condensation problem. If the roof was leaking it would only get wet and mould where it leaks. The fact that everywhere is equally mouldy means it is all equally wet.

You could hire a company to dry ice blast it or you could get a wire brush attachment for a drill or angle grinder and do it yourself. Then paint with an encapsulating primer. The big problem being you are only allowed to do that for 5% of the thickness of the structure. So if the mould is deeper the 1/16" into the sheeting (which is hard to tell in a picture) you will have to tear off the plywood and replace it.

Figure out the cost for worst case scenario (replacing the roof and ceiling drywall) and take that off your price if the seller hasn't already adjusted for the mould.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.