[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any diy plumbers in here? my shower has been getting slower and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: drain.jpg (60KB, 495x696px) Image search: [Google]
drain.jpg
60KB, 495x696px
any diy plumbers in here? my shower has been getting slower and slower for the last 2 months, and when I woke up today the water from my shower last night was still there. chemical drain cleaners worked at first but then stopped having any effect. just now I took the overflow cover off, and instead of having a stopper connected to it there was only a broken wire. the snake ran through without resistance, but I think it might just have been too short. it was one of those single use plastic ones I got at walmart.

is there anything else I can do or is it time to call a plumber?
>>
You basically have two options:
Rent a real snake machine or call a plumber
>>
>>915245
is there a possibility that the clog is actually the stopper that broke loose and got caught somewhere down the line? I'm moving out in 3 days so the worst that happens is I don't get my deposit back, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to bail the tub into the sink if I want to shower again before then.
>>
>>915228
Just went through a drain fix myself. Should've just called a plumber, since the cost was barely more than what I spent on tooling.

If you insist on doing it yourself, then get your ass down to a home center like Lowes or Home Depot. Buy the longest snake they have and get one with the diamond shaped head on it. Run it down about a foot and spin it around. Keep repeating that until the drain opens up.

For my house, I had a 50-ft snake with one of those shitty spring coils on the end. Goddamned clog was over 60 feet from where the plumber accessed the line (which was about 10 feet closer than where I accessed it), so I was well over 20 feet short of the actual blockage. As I said, it would've been better to just call the guy first.

Stop buying tools at Wal-Mart. That's step number 1. I'm not a herp-derp Anti-Wal-Mart guy, but I'm not going to buy tools from their bullshit Home Repair section.
>>
>>915280
They rent snakes, and the ones you rent will be better than the cheapie you buy for your one job.

Do you have a shop vac? Vac it the drain, you might pull the clog out.

Also, fuck it, three days. Not even your problem, it's normal wear and tear. It's not like you're pouring junkies down your drain.
>>
>>915254
This should fall under normal wear and tear, and you shouldn't be held accountable. If you go about it and end up breaking the pipe, then it's a different story.
>>
>>915254
Should've called your landlord when this first started, he's required to call a plumber to fix it.
>>
Your problem is inside the p-trap , I'm sure it's clogged with hair and soap scum. You can get a zip it and get into it. Or you can remove the trap clean it and that should remedy your problem. You could have other drainage problems as well.
In my experience most drain-o or simple drain detergents do not work.
I have used a product called crystal buster that will burn the buildup from the drains
>>
The brass stopper (bucket) broke loose from the lift wire attached to the toggle on the overflow cover. The stopper is hollow like a toilet paper tube, so if water goes up to the overflow, it can travel down past the stopper and allow the water to drain. The top of the bucket should have a bar going across that the wire attaches to. If you stick a couple of feet of fairly thin and stiff electrical wire down there with a long and narrow hook on the end you might be able to catch it on that bar and lift the bucket out through the overflow..... or just keep the bucket suspended long enough to shower. This shouldn't damage anything.
>>
File: bucket.jpg (14KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
bucket.jpg
14KB, 360x360px
>>917205
Here's a bucket, it's hollow, that's why the plastic drain stick went right through it. This thing stops water from the side, not through the top and bottom.
>>
File: optub.jpg (11KB, 177x249px) Image search: [Google]
optub.jpg
11KB, 177x249px
>>917208
Here, OP. The bucket is in red, you can see how it works now. It stops the drain, but allows the overflow to function. The blue line is where the piece of electrical wire goes. The long hook will go through the bucket and when you pull up it should grab the bar on top of the bucket. Don't use a coat hanger, too stiff. If it snags up and you yank on it, you could screw a joint up. That type of drain is usually old and has weak slip joints that use a nut and rubber washer to seal. By now the washer is probably toast and yanking could make a big mess before you go, or after they turn on the shower after you leave.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.