[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking at buying a couple of utility knives. I figure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: terrorist-swords.png (408KB, 840x740px) Image search: [Google]
terrorist-swords.png
408KB, 840x740px
I'm looking at buying a couple of utility knives. I figure a large (18mm) and small (9mm) breakaway will do me for just about everything.

Looking at NT Cutter instead of Olfa because metal and failproof locking. Specifically, NT Cutter L2000R and Pro A1. Pic related.

Better suggestions?
>>
>>914690
Go to a hardware store and buy whatever they have on the shelf that uses standard replaceable 2inch blades
>>
>>914762
I've got a Stanley that takes those and I find it to be more trouble than it's worth. Changing or flipping the blades is a pain in the ass, the slider button is unpleasant and the blades wiggle/rattle. Because of that, I always end up passing over it for a pocket knife or something else.

I'm pretty set on a breakable blade knife or two, just wondering if there are others I should consider before NT Cutter.
>>
ive only ever used the olfa but ive used it a shitton for model making (yay architecture) and ive never felt a need to switch to anything else. the 9mm is just too small imho so i always use the 18

this>>914762

is somewhat valid but you need to make sure to not buy shit blades. the olfa cutters all come with good (enough) quality blades but if you just go down to the hardware store and buy whatever dime bin shit it wont be worth anything. Those titanium coated blades sound gimmicky but they actually work rather well for chipboard and basswood. They are also much more rigid and less likely to snap randomly on you like the breakaway ones. Not that it happens often but it can.
>>
>>914690
It's a razor knife. There's not much difference between high quality and low quality. It's just a grip to hold something pointy, real men use double sided razors.
>>
>>914771
If you've already made your decision, then why are you asking for suggestions? You just want people to reaffirm your choice.
>>
File: 81uJMgSZ-SL._SX522_.jpg (17KB, 522x215px) Image search: [Google]
81uJMgSZ-SL._SX522_.jpg
17KB, 522x215px
>>914771
I have pic related and have no such issues.
>>
>>914690
I buy the Dollar General $1.00 large breakaway razors.

They're sharp, comes with three blades and I got a bajillion of the handles.
>>
File: stanley-99e.jpg (10KB, 640x308px) Image search: [Google]
stanley-99e.jpg
10KB, 640x308px
>>914771
The Stanley 99E is the only large knife worth having. Mostly because you can get high-quality blades for them, while most break-off knifes are terrible thin steel with almost no edge to them. You can also never get a proper point on a break-off blade.
>>
File: IMAG0479_1.jpg (744KB, 2352x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0479_1.jpg
744KB, 2352x2304px
>>914871
>>914818

Believe me the other is better. The 99E is fiddly and drawn out when you want to change blades. The blade retract tab has also broken off this one.

The other had a magnetised blade storage compartment and is kick easier to swap and rotate blades and not to mention a lot more ergonomic.
>>
>>914818
>>914871
>>914875
I hate these types where the blade only comes out so far. i often use utility knives extended out further for slicing so i usually just get the dollar store orange sliders. i also have an olfa with the little wheel. for something as simple as a utility knife id rather have a few cheap ones scattered around the house than one good one. plus i carry a spyderco when im working
>>
OLFA L1. Accept no substitutes.
>>
>>914690
I've heard, never looked. that scalpel are cheap in bulk.

Besides that.. my only other suggestion is have a knife maker build you a custom hobby knife, and you buy/make a leather strop. or a microfiber strop.

lots of straight razor guys are going to these microfiber strops because it produces a cleaner/finer edge.

if you go knife maker route, have them do a chisel grind with a really shallow profile on the other side, convex if they can. so when you're cutting foam and such the chiseled/flat side is a perfect 90degree edge,
>>
>>914871
>Stanley 99E

They have gotten real cheap as of late

I have some 5-6 year old ones, and one I bought like 3 months ago. The new one has less material inside of it, is lighter, and the blades rattle inside.

If you buy them at walmart, they have a black plastic half now. I can only assume they will all be that shit pretty soon.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 640x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 640x232px
Stanley 199. The one knife where the blade never slips, falls out, or retracts on you.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 450x122px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 450x122px
>>915308
Forgot pic.
>>
>>915465
Turn your toolbox into a lucky dip
As in if the safety cover hasn't come of and you don't cut your hand then you are lucky.
Should come with a leather holster instead of a stupid shit wee plastic guard
>>
>>915465
Yeah, the 199 is okay if you use it constantly and have a spot on the bench to keep it. Otherwise you have to open it up, or like >>915471 says it becomes a toolbox lottery.
>>
>>915308
>>915467
This guy gets it.
>>
>>915483
I truly hated snap off knives until I met the L1.
>>
File: image.jpg (10KB, 120x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 120x300px
>>915471
>>
>>915473
It's a great theft deterrent.
>>
>>915465
I cut my hand real bad one time grabbing some tools for a friend, because he keeps one of these loose in his toolbox and neglected to tell me. And before you ask, it was underneath the tool I was grabbing, so I didn't see it.
>>
>>915535
Be more careful in the future.
>>
>>915864
Well, I wasn't expecting anything sharper than a hacksaw blade hiding in there. It's a fucking liability. What if a kid or someone else with a similar lack of self restraint decided to go rummaging through the tool box, only to lose a finger?
I know 4chan is big on "everything you do is your own damn fault", but the legal system doesn't think that way.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.