[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.j sp?cntn_id=134667 How w

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: Studio_NCSU_1_f.jpg (17KB, 350x220px) Image search: [Google]
Studio_NCSU_1_f.jpg
17KB, 350x220px
http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=134667

How would you go about building this kind of thing yourself, /diy/?

I'm (hopefully) going to be working in this field sometime in the distant future, but I'd like to mess around and try some things out now. Has anyone here tried to mess with passive/powered exoskeletons?
>>
>>913771
Read books, get an engineering degree.
>>
>>913772
come on, anon. where's your quick and dirty diy spirit
>>
>>913771
7%
>>
I've tried a few things, mostly arm and leg mounts. Don't learned engineering for this, rather study anatomy and physiology. The human body in motion is very strange, and to have a suit move along with you is even weirder. Also, human bodies are very fragile. I don't see this happening in the near future unless our bones and muscles are enhanced to tolerate the constant stress of a powered suit. In the end, the human still needs to have control over the suit, not just be a mess of guts in a hollow robot.
>>
>>913821
What books/resources did you use to study?
>>
Take a look at the suit MrTeslonian has made/is making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdR2MHRm5bQ

I know it looks like a piece of crap but if you look through all the videos about it you can see that it actually does hold his body weight and take the weight of whatever he is holding. It's really smart use of pulleys essentially.

Not going to be winning any agility awards though.
>>
>>913954
>That thrill of stepping into a machine you built that could rip you apart like paper if you fuck up

I don't know why I want this feel anon. but I really want this feel
>>
>>913949
Fundamentals of human anatomy is a good place to start. Although I usually just chat with my doctor buddy. I had a little bit of experience with powered prosthetics during my undergrad, but I disliked the design of most. I think the suit should complement the human body rather than be a stronger layer ontop. A lighter weight suit would be ideal, but I really have no designs. The biggest issue is the stress on the body. I would imagine a fully powered suit to be very tiring after a couple hours.
>>
>"It's a real exciting milestone...

Dropped
>>
>>913771
lookes like its connected to a rigid insole that slips in with thr shoe. i'd start with that thermoplastic brace material that can be formed after putting in warm water for the shin part, maybe the sole as well.
>>
>>914096
The brace is the easier part of the two -- it's the actual spring mechanism that's the hardest part. Is there any documentation on how it actually operates?
>>
>>913983
>a fully powered suit to be very tiring after a couple hours

What? How would a suit that takes the weight of whatever you're carrying tire you out?
>>
>>914120
like i said, it looks like there is a sole connected to the pivot. imagine it without the shoe:

the spring wants to compress and make the angle more obtuse, toes pressing down.

when you step your weight nakes the angle more acute and loads the spring. then when that foot leaves the ground it uses that energy as a free push off
>>
File: passivelegbrace.jpg (538KB, 946x955px) Image search: [Google]
passivelegbrace.jpg
538KB, 946x955px
>>914120
Didn't you read the paper in nature anon? It's all there:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v522/n7555/full/nature14288.html

>>914167
ok so what >>913983 is referring to(erroneously) is that it has been hard to make exoskeletons that actually augment rather than impede the user. That is the user spends more energy wearing the exoskeleton than if they were to just carry a backpack alone.
see more on this here:
http://biomech.media.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/07/Dollar-2008_Lower-Extremity-Exoskeletons-and-Active-Orthoses-Challenges-and-State-of-the-Art.pdf

from the above: "a dominant cause for the observed cost of transport increase
are the additional kinematic constraints inadvertently imposed
on the wearer, upsetting the efficient dynamics normally seen
during human walking."
>>
File: mountain-bikes.jpg (139KB, 640x457px) Image search: [Google]
mountain-bikes.jpg
139KB, 640x457px
>>913771
>A passive-elastic ankle exoskeleton was shown to reduce the energy cost of human walking.

So like a bicycle would be even better.....
>>
File: 456.jpg (30KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
456.jpg
30KB, 500x350px
>>914443
even better
>>
>>913771
>April 1, 2015

Har Har
>>
File: modded-power-bocks.png (1MB, 2716x1536px) Image search: [Google]
modded-power-bocks.png
1MB, 2716x1536px
>>913771
>>
>>914443
>>914444
That's not the point, anon.

Haven't you ever wanted to make something that you can strap your feet into and then sprint for a mile?
>>
>>914461
Not really, I just do it with normal shoes. I once did it without shoes, but getting a job and needing to wear shoes really softened up my feet. I live in the country side, fyi, and normally went barefoot.
>>
>>914443
Yeah, they're real good at climbing up scree. Not to mention the reduced weight, and ease of concealment.

I'll take them over the +1 boots any day.
>>
>>914483
>Yeah, they're real good at climbing up scree.

Gosh, I don't want to use Op's stuff because it'll make swimming in the ocean difficult.
>>
>>914477
You could go so much faster and farther with augmentation, anon. Why not?
>>
>>914517
Increased leg surface-area would probably make it easier, de-arimasu.
>>
>>914524
>probably

You've never been swimming before have you?
>>
File: DIY augmentation.jpg (60KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
DIY augmentation.jpg
60KB, 600x337px
>>914522
Where does it stop?
>>
File: peace.jpg (315KB, 1921x823px) Image search: [Google]
peace.jpg
315KB, 1921x823px
>>914538
>stopping perfectly good progress

That's a funny joke, anon.
>>
>>914538
Where do these figures come from? movie?
>>
>>914547
Doctor Who. A TV show that used to be pretty good but sucks now because the writers changed.
>>
>>914549
It is a kid's show, what do you expect?
>>
File: 7ff[1].jpg (53KB, 288x499px) Image search: [Google]
7ff[1].jpg
53KB, 288x499px
>>914541
>>
>>914461
>>914522
>reduces the metabolic cost of walking by approximately 7 percent
Running burns energy a lot faster, and it involves much higher loads on the legs and feet. Such a device might reduce energy use by 1% or so when running, and probably less in a sprint. Consider that the spring contributes a certain amount of energy per step, and running steps involve a LOT more energy. Also consider that this was devised with an eye to helping people with mobility problems, not letting healthy people do things that they couldn't before. This is not bionic man type stuff.
>>
>>914657
It's not, this thing isn't anything more than a proof of concept (Before this study was published it wasn't known whether exoskeletons could do this sort of thing in any meaningful way without power)

There are powered versions of this same concept that give substantially larger benefits. Here's one - https://youtu.be/CDsNZJTWw0w?t=9m32s
>>
>>914549
Here here man. Steven moffat can go fuck himself.
>>
File: I call it the foot weightener.png (175KB, 578x456px) Image search: [Google]
I call it the foot weightener.png
175KB, 578x456px
>>913771
Walking doesn't need to be more efficient, people would just get EVEN FATTER.

We need a device to make walking MORE taxing on the body. Something that'll enhance the energy expended.

I have drafted a prototype that I think would work, but I haven't tested it yet.

I'm heading out on a five mile jog tonight. Wish me luck,
>>
>>914671
>implying anyone with the requisite brainpower to make one of these is going to be obese anyways
>>
>>914671
That sort of thing causes increased tension on the bone thingies. It doesn't really build much muscle. It causes arthritis and related issues. Weight lifting is better.
>>
>>914671
More efficient walking would help ease up muscle fatigue and permanent joint damage in high intensity jobs. If you implemented this enough we'd see a massive drop in things like torn joints, arthritis, and knee/hip surgery within a generation or two.
>>
>>914674
it's exactly the same as weight lifting.
>>
>>914685
It's a difference between doing a workout for an hour, and holding your arm out with an extra pound on it for four hours.

One works out your muscles, one just hurts your joints.
>>
>>914671
that's how you fuck up your knees. put the weight on your hips instead, or just carry in your hands
>>
>>914549
Doctor Who was never good desu
>>
>>913821
Yeah it's kinda like how master chief needed the augmentation to be able to use the armor. Regular soldiers were torn to bits from hurting themselves, spasming, awful way to go.
>>
>>914841
>>913821
But that is just poorly designed technology. The link here >>914661 is the future. The section where he talks about adaptive skin and the way the ankle and knee stuff works is crucial. It is all fluidly adaptive to your form. I mean shit, that one woman was dancing with 1 leg.
>>
>>913771
Exercising on a daily basis.
>>
>>914661
Those feet are pimpin' desu senpai

I really want a pair.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.