[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/ I'm interested in brewing my own alcohol that is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

File: distillation.png (19KB, 356x299px) Image search: [Google]
distillation.png
19KB, 356x299px
Hi /diy/
I'm interested in brewing my own alcohol that is pretty much only ethanol and water because that will get you drunk without a hangover.
I've figured that if I use sugar and water only the alcohol will be more pure, are there other ways to purify the alcohol other than distillation and activated carbon?
>>
>>909432
>because that will get you drunk without a hangover
retard
>>
Test your theory by watering down some Everclear.
Drink til you pass out.
See if you have a hangover upon awakening.
>>
>>909432
Lol.
>>
Lol, holy shit....

Look up acetaldehyde and abandon your plan.
>>
>>909432
Make, "Kilju".
>>
>>909432
No these 2 are the only methods. There are some chemical ways, but its to much effort. Even if you use sugar always be careful with the temperatures during the destilation, because of methanol.
>>
>>909500
There were studies that the more pure the alc is the less are the hangover effects like vodak. Alc with a lot of aromes causes more hangover effects like spice liquors etc.
>>
File: mehukatti_tiivisteet.jpg (88KB, 900x550px) Image search: [Google]
mehukatti_tiivisteet.jpg
88KB, 900x550px
>>909432
Kilju is truly the easiest way of getting drunk. You will fart the most vile yeast farts and get a decent hangover though.
The true gentleman enjoys his or her kilju from a container that is pic related!
>>
>>909687
His or her is an agenderphobic microagression. You are a bigot.
>>
>>909441
I'm a med student... I would know...
>>
>>909687
>Mehukatti
Jesus, haven't seen those since the early nineties.
>>
>>909680
>muh studies
>posts no links
Sure thing, kiddo.
>>
>>909680
lol
>>
>>909687
is it possible to make a more "premium" kilju by fining it with gelatine or something to get rid of the floating dead yeast?
fear of tearing my asshole to shreads because i've got yeast induced super diarrhoea is the only thing stopping me from trying it
>>
>>909820
Premium kilju is an oxymoron. Distill it or make normal wine if you want something less awful and are willing to spend time and money on it.
>>
>>909820
>gelatine
AKA nitrocellulose-nitroglycerine, AKA blasting jelly, AKA dynamite 2.0? Yeah, that'll get rid of the yeast. Also your asshole.

Or did you mean gelatin? That might help, but isinglass is apparently preferred for yeast removal. Different kind of collagen, maybe?
>>
>>909826
>Or did you mean gelatin?
Both spellings are used to denote the same substance. Your attempt at funny is lame.
>>
>>909761
Where do you live. That is the premium shit here.
>>
>>909752
clearly, you don't know shit.
Sincerely,
any guy who drinks any type of alcohol regularly
>>
>>909820
No, the instant you change it, it is no longer "kilju." You can however do exactly what you want to do. I use it by clearing it and using it to make mixed drinks or using it in distilling.
>>
>>909687
>>909825
>>909933
>finns don't know of finmäsk
>>
>>909432
>because that will get you drunk without a hangover
literally came to this board 30 seconds ago
>>
>>909687
Whatever it is, it is definitely aimed at kids
>>
>>909432
>sugar and water only
You need to add fruit to kilju if you want to give the yeast some nutrients to live on. Just sugar and the poor little guys will be malnourished = worse yield. Basic biology.

Also you're a fucking dumbass.

>>909687
Are you sure you're not just waiting for the brew to settle long enough? If you're drinking (lots of) yeast, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>909956

Honestly, I saw that image and was like "that's surely some kind of sweetened fruit drink". What the fuck, man.
>>
>>909959
it is you dumbass

>from a container that is pic related!
doesn't imply they sell kilju in those containers, anon was just joking
>>
File: image.jpg (480KB, 1127x1590px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
480KB, 1127x1590px
You're welcome.
>>
>>909958
Yeast actually can grow on just sugar and water, they use the micronutrients present from sugar contamination to adapt their metabolism. (otherwise chemically sugar is indisputably only carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen) They eventually stop producing ethanol once conditions get bad enough and continue consuming sugar by changing their metabolism to produce a lot of weird, nasty tasting and smelling alcohols. You can produce very high alcohol content with just sugar, but it is unpredictable and fails often as it relies upon the variable levels of contaminations for nutrition, and they often taste absolutely god awful because of the odd alcohols that get created. If anyone stills these alcohols are known as the fusel oils, normally created but not in large amounts in a healthy, not just sugar, brew.
>>
>>909981
interesting
>>
>>909958
I made 19%ABV kilju using only water, sugar, and yeast. It tasted terrible, even after clearing it, and it was still really sugary because I used too much sugar.
>>
>>909692
fatty detected
>>
>>910000
you know it's a joke right
>>
>>909432
>drunk without a hangover
I remember when I was young enough to have friends that believed this.
>>
>>910000
Can't believe the neckbeard whose parents won't let him watch south park got quads.
>>
>>910043
Drink water and snack while getting drunk and water after done drinking. Wake up and drink more water and have a proper breakfast. Never a hangover. Unless you drink like a fish and pass out, then fuck you, you drunk ass slob.
>>
>>909839
Estonia. Maybe I should check the harbor region in Tallinn for it. Not for alco, but nostalgic value lol.
>>
>>910096
Tallinn reporting in, haven't seen those here since the 90s or early 2000s at the latest.
>>
>>910062
Also don't go to sleep when you're still fucked. You can't drink water while you're still asleep.

However, it's not just the dehydration that gives you a hangover, but all of the nasty congeners in the booze. OP is correct in that a purer booze will yield less trouble. However, pure sugar and water will ferment poorly; yeast need more than that to live on. Proper distillation and filtration are key.

If you do wake up with a hangover, GO DO CARDIO. Sounds like the worst fucking idea at the time, but trust me, it clears out your liver or something and lets it deal with the nasty stuff and the hangover ends a lot quicker. Plus you don't get fat from the booze.
>>
>>910128
>If you do wake up with a hangover, GO DO CARDIO. Sounds like the worst fucking idea at the time, but trust me, it clears out your liver or something and lets it deal with the nasty stuff and the hangover ends a lot quicker. Plus you don't get fat from the booze.

Heh.

>party all night with friends
>drink someone under the table when we split half a bottle of vodka
>perfectly clear head, no hangover
>wake up early in the morning and go for a run
>after half a mile BAM drunk as fuck suddenly
>turn around and head home and lay around until no longer drunk.

It was the weirdest thing ever.
>>
>>909692
Interesting, I don't know what an agenderphobic microagression is though!

>>909761
Seems like you don't have kids. Still sold these days
http://www.eckes-granini.fi/tuotehaku/tuotehaku.php?query=mehukatti
H... Okay, Estonians, so on the northern side they are sold!

>>909820
Kilju becomes premium never. Kilju can be made really fast, but for a price, the taste... Just add enough sugar and turbo yeast and you will have a batch that makes you drunk the next day. But it'll be a rough ride!

>>909956
The tradiotional punk way of drinking kilju, straight from the fermenting vessel.

I have done freze distillation fom kilju, doesn't make the drink better but you don't have to drink as much to get to the point.
>>Brew kilju. Preferably strong. And enough of it.
>>Put in plastic bottles
>>Put them in the freezer
>>Let almost freeze
>>Separate the ice from the liquid
>>Dump ice, refreeze liquid
>>Repeat until strong enough

This method will have a lot of waste but kilju is easy and cheap to brew!
>>
>>909752
I am a real med student and i think you should revisit your class in biochemistry(if you even went in the first place).
Here is a handy webpage with all pathways since you most likely don't know them.
http://biochemical-pathways.com/#/map/1

During the ethanol detoxification process the ADH enzymes in your stomach and liver turn the ethanol into acetaldehyde. This is then turned into acetate and it eventually gets turned into acetyl-CoA that can be used in the citrate cycle. This is why you get energy out of alcohol and it causes a fatty liver.

The acetaldehyde formed is nowhere near as toxic as the formaldehyde or formic acid that is formed from methanol but is still carcinogenic and creates hangovers.

Some pro tips:
Drink some fructose dissolved in water to sober up faster, you can add a little salt to add a re-hydrating effect.
This will reduce the hangover the next morning if you drink it before going to sleep.
You can try selling this mix but campus police may not like you selling white powder to students that want to party later that day.

If you want to distill your own drinks sit in on the classes in "separation of compounds" (yes this is how they call it at my university) from the chemistry students. I suggest buying the textbook and the transcript as well but those may be pricey if you live in the usa.
As long as you don't know what an azeotrope is you should not be distilling your own drinks.
If you went to one of these classes distilling will make sense to you. When you invest in the proper gear you can make some high quality drinks that can compete with the top shelf liquor you can buy.

tl;dr
You are a moron, go to your classes
You are wrong you can get a hangover from ethanol.
Don't go distilling without proper knowledge or you will get yourself killed or thrown out of med-school.
It is not cheaper or faster to distill alcohol yourself, you will need to distill a lot to make your original investment back.
>>
>>909958
that is why brewers add yeast nutrients to their sugar wash.
A cheap alternative would be marmite.
>>
>>910128
>>910137

As explained here>>910911 your body gets rid of alcohol by using it as energy, exercising needs energy and "use" the alcohol faster.
>>
As a food scientist/chemist, your best bet for a hangover-less drink is...
-use yeast nutrients and sugar(+maybe a little malt)
-choose a yeast strain that produces few side products.(fusal alcohols, methanol, histamine, ect)
- distill it multiple times and use a thermometer in the colum.
-filter through pre-washed activated charcoal before the final distillation.

-before bed/after drinking, eat a little brewers salts/gatorade and drink 2 full glasses of water.

Hangovers are often caused by dehydration and imbalances of electrolytes.
>>
>>910911
Med student is correct about hangovers from ethanol and metabolic pathways; also hangovers can be caused by congenors.

>Worries about being arrested for selling white powder
>advocates violating federal law by distilling liquor without BATF license.
>>
>>909432

You can use a molecular sieve to produce anhydrous ethanol (better than 95% pure). But the equipment is more complex (and expensive) than a home still.
>>
>>911762
Pay extra and spend more time for getting rid of the last 5% of water? What's the point, when he's going to drink it?
>>
>>911670
Technically, you can distill it as long as you aren't selling it. The only problem is, the feds consider more than some bullshit amount like a pint to be intent to sell.
>>
>brewing and destilling alcohol
>going blind like a faggot
>>
>>912092
That's not how it works shit lord.
>>
>>909432
You can probably buy 95% ethanol in pharmacies. Look for the bottles that say "food grade" or "for cooking" or some such.
Making your own is seriously not worth it, unless you think it's fun to waste money on glassware, lab equipment, fuel, and cheap spirits.
>>
>>912092
>being a retard who keeps the first and last dregs from the still
>>
>>912144
I don't know where you live, but in Murrica, you'll be paying out the ass in taxes on it, if your state even allows you to buy such high-proof spirits.
Also, you can only buy spirits from a designated store in most parts of the world, not just any random pharmacy
>>
>>911670
Well where I live you can't get a permit for home distillation. Technically its illegal but they don't care as long as you are not selling it.

I am not saying that he should do it. If he wanted to he should learn the process and get his shit together before starting anything.

I am not worried I would be arrested, it would just look weird.

>>911762
Have you ever tried something that is stronger then 80%? I would advice against it.

If you were making a solvent it would be a good idea to dry it.
If you just want to make a drink you will most likely add distilled water or fruit to your pure ethanol.

>>912179
I don't see why your taxes would be that awful, taxes are based on the amount of ethanol you buy.
Where i live its (0.17€ * alc% by volume at 20°c) * L of spirit.
This means that 1L of 95% would be the same amount of taxes as 5L of 19%
This formula does not apply for beer or wine, those are taxed differently It only applies for distilled spirits.
>>
>>912179
Many people use ethanol to disinfect wounds. Of course it can be bought in pharmacies, in spite of the fact that pharmacies don't sell vodka and beer.
Even some grocery stores carry ethanol where I live.
>>
>>912232
Where do you live, because I've lived in 6 states, and Manitoba, and have never seen ethanol sold as disinfectant, only Isopropanol.
>>
>>912232
In the states we literally poison our rubbing alcohol so people can't drink it. Methylated spirits
>>
File: 1432765488112.jpg (132KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
1432765488112.jpg
132KB, 640x428px
Hey DiY, retard here:
If the gas that escapes the mash and gets lost through the gas trap is ethanol, could you super-juice your brew by pressurizing it?
>>
>>912428
you mean CO2?

i doubt CO2 would do anything to improve the yeast converting sugars to alcohol.

if your referring to the alcohol lost from evaporation while fermenting, the yeast will keep sugar converting to alcohol until they either run of out sugar to convert, or the alcohol concentration becomes so high it kills them.

closing the system would only allow the process of the killing the yeast from too high of an alcohol concentration faster. i don't know how much alcohol is lost from evaporation during fermentation, but i don't think it would be significant.
>>
>>912260
Rubbing alcohol is generally isopropanol, which shouldn't be consumed.

But yeah, adding a little methanol to ethanol makes it poisonous and therefore not subject to taxation or regulation.
>>
>>912438
This is spot on.

The other thing to mention is that if co2 pressure gets too high, that can also stop fermentation. If I recall correctly, the pressure has to be above 50 psi or so, but this incomplete fermentation happens in champagne from time to time.
>>
>>912179
>>912232
I don't know how its handled in america but where I live most pharmacy's sell ethanol when you ask them politely.
They may ask what you are planning to do with it and refuse to sell it if they suspect that you are an alcoholic.
A friend of mine uses it to distill her own herbal/floral tinctures.

The big problem in the USA is that there are a lot of big pharmacy chains that do not make tinctures or throat spray in house. If that is the case they do not have ethanol to sell do you.
They probably have rubbing alcohol but that is not usable for consumption and the good brands even have diethyl ether mixed in for optimal skin cleaning.

Most independent pharmacist will sell raw materials as long as they are not directly used in the creation of controlled substances or toxic.
>>
What would be the best yeast to make a sugar wash ?
>>
>>909676
Methanol is produced by yeast if they encounter pectine, which is mainly found in the skins of fruits and vegetables. (This is why you should watch out if you distill apple cider or wine. If you use pure sugar you should be safe.

However there are a lot of other chemicals that get produced regardless of the source of sugar, like acetaldehyde which is foul tasting and makes you sick. You can get rid of it by distilling slowly and throwing the first bit of destilate out.

Your booze will taste like cheap grappa.
>>
>>914318
I don't know about your other products, but methanol can certainly be thrown out first (and last) because its boiling point is lower than ethanol.
>>
>>912441
Random depressing fact: The homeless drink iso in order to force docs to flush it out of their system with ethanol
>>
>>909432
ethanol gets metabolized into aldehyde, which is what gives you a hangover. if you want to get drunk without a hangover look into 2-methyl-2-butanol

be safe, it has about 40x potancy per gram
>>
>>914747
Just looked it up and it is actually true.
I guess i will need to try that one day.
>>
>>912179

There's only one state (Nevada) that limits the maximum proof alcohol you can purchase, but even then the regulation is on alcoholic drinks. You can sell higher concentrations of alcohol if it's not sold as a drink (i.e. as raw materials for some other process, or for other uses such as rubbing alcohol).
>>
>>915729
MN has a limit, too. You can't buy the full 190 proof everclear here, you have to either buy the 151 proof stuff or drive to wisconsin.
>>
Just buy some tert-Amyl alcohol (2-methyl-2-butanol) from a chemistry supply store. 10 ML gets you drunk and with little hang over from what I am told.
>>
>>915811
You need to watch out for the impurities in there. The ones that are sold in a chem-store are ment to be used as solvents and have 1-5% impurities like benzene and other nasty chemicals in there.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.