[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips for a person very new to Mig Welding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: mig.jpg (72KB, 900x872px) Image search: [Google]
mig.jpg
72KB, 900x872px
Any tips for a person very new to Mig Welding?
>>
>>907280
follow the duty cycle of your machine
fast is slow and slow is fast
compare your filler with your base

take a class or practice like a mofo
>>
>>907280
if you're going to use fluxcore for some reason, lincoln NR211-MP is worth the expense over generic white boxed wire, even if you're in europe and paying $20/lb for it.

more generally: turning the power up to 'lightsaber' and laying another pass over the top of a bad weld is WRONG. grind that shit out to base metal and start over.

sparks and spatter fly everywhere and can ignite dry wood on contact and melt through 1/4" of plastic before they cool down, so move all your oily rags, gas cans and whatever out of the area. a fire extinguisher in the workshop is common sense.
>>
>>907280
put a hat on before the welding mask.
>>
Whip that shit like a pro, dawg. You need your welds to look like >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>
>>907335

I am right handed and my welds look like

<<<~<<~<_~<<~.'<<<
>>
>>907346
dont whip push hardwire pull fluxcore
>>
>>907366

Don't listen to this guy, whip everything.
>>
>>907280
As with most things, it's mostly in the prep. Make sure you have space to fill with the welding rod, as it's metal to metal. I'm amazed how many people just think welding is somehow like gluing, where none of the parent material is removed. If you want good penetration, you must have depth to the cavity you fill with the welding rod.

Also, to make pretty welds (after you have proficiency) concentrate on the edge of the puddle and not the middle/crater. This way you can make more consistent size overlapping puddles.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 650x473px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 650x473px
>>907794
whip motorcycles and 6010, not mig wire
>>
Not op but also wanting to get into mig welding. Ill hopefully be picking up a Hobart 210 MVP wire feed welder with a spool gun. Anyone have any experience with this welder or know anything about it? Im thinking it would be a good starting rig for what i would use it for (mostly automotive suspension work.)
>>
>>907794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDegaHfuXQ

(Don't actually whip everything.)
>>
File: $_35.jpg (16KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
16KB, 212x300px
What do you guys think of Everlast?
>>
File: toasty inductors.png (582KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
toasty inductors.png
582KB, 800x450px
>>908813
they sell them in the UK as r-tech and they're the usual made-in-china cost reduced shite, yet they cost more than domestically produced machines like the ifl or tecarc.
only an idiot would buy one. maybe they're a lot cheaper in america?
>>
>>908835
Thank god for Lidl and aldi prices for things I've always wanted but never needed
>>
>>908835
Double checked, they are trash thanks. Apparently they are really good at manipulating with adverts.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.