[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building Insect Terrariums

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

Looking to make small cubes with plexiglass and maybe something else at the edges. The purpose would be to hold insects (I would drill some holes in the sides) and I can't really find anything like this because all the ones online are curved or for plants. How hard would it be to make something like a 4-5 inch cube with thin plexiglass walls and removable top? How much would it cost per cube?

Pic is about what I expect it should look like, but I am also unsure how to make the removable top, maybe a hinge? Any suggestions would help!
>>
Can you get your pieces laser cut?

1/4" Acrylic sheet is very strong. PV Glue is like a chemical weld that melts the sheets together. Makes a strong joint. If you can get your pieces laser cut then they will be nice square and edges ready to glue cleanly.

The lid is up to you
>>
>>907129
Shouldn't be hard. If you don't care about identical ones, you could get a piece and curve it into a square with a heatgun (or pot of boiling water if you have a big enough pot) and then silicone the bottom on and silicone a top on. Cut a square out of top, attach it with hinge, pull handle, and stops.
Use non-mildew resistant regardless. Poisons and shit.
>>
a thrift store will have all kinds of boxes and glassware in the decoration section cheap. i got this kind of flask for 25 cents to use as a case for a Raspberry Pi. in the toys section, you will occasionally find insect observation kits with a box, magnifier, net, etc, for a couple of bucks.
>>
>>907129
I find using 1-gallon pickle jars to be best. Lay them on their side and make a wooden stand for them for better looks. You'll be able to reach your whole arm into them.

>>907143
Ever do that before? I've only seen terrible bubbles form inside it when it is that hot from a heat gun. Using a hot wire for bending and folding is usually best.
>>
>>907164
Yea, only did it once when making a vivarium but it came out spot on.
>>
>>907186
How rounded were the corners?
>>
found these 2 outside with broken legs put them in this glass box... the biggest problem is the mess you see I need to move them every time I clean
>>
>>907129
In this case buying is the easiest option.
Craft stores like Michaels already sell clear plastic boxes in the size you want. http://www.michaels.com/artminds-glass-box-medium/10385156.html
I was using the larger ones for keeping false widows. Bit of support glued in the top so they hide there when I open the container for cleaning and air/feeding holes melted in.
>>
>>907233
Using a small tray/pan with grass turf can help. They eat the grass and their droppings replenish the grass. Just keep it trimmed.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I work at a glass company. Any local manufacturer has loads of 12" x 12" samples in varying thicknesses and type, diff coatings etc... All you have to do is ask. A local glass installer would prob let you sift through their sample pile.
>>
http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/decoration/decorative-accessories/kombinerbar-decoration-glass-box-set-of-2-black-art-80323746/

Seen these in IKEA
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.