[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is a really annoying clicking noise coming from my com

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1376234050930.jpg (2MB, 4383x2659px) Image search: [Google]
1376234050930.jpg
2MB, 4383x2659px
There is a really annoying clicking noise coming from my computer's PSU. I know it's the PSU, and I know it's not its fan. Has this happened to anyone else? What could it be?
Recorded it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ddXMOu21nJ
>>
Sorry, but that's totally a fan. You can hear the oscilations as it rotates. Probably just old/bad bearings from the sound of it.

Most bearing hubs are sealed and best fix is just to replace the unit.
>>
Also know this: PSU's aren't serviceable, it's just a plug in replacement. So get a new power supply and get over it. Want a shock of a lifetime? open up a power supply and fuck with it.
So do yourself a favor, get the wattage rating for his unit and go buy a duplicate or 100 watts more. End of thread.
>>
>>906772
> PSU's aren't serviceable

Just because you let your fear define your actions doesn't mean we all do. Of course they're fucking serviceable.
>>
>>906780
Well even replacing fans, the fans are soldered to the board, even if they're a plain ol 8cm fan.
>>
Replacing the PSU is definitely the easiest course of action. If you have a replacement fan and want to install it, that's not too hard to do, either. Unplug the power cord, then hit the power button on the PC. It won't power on, but the request for power should discharge the capacitors.

Disconnect all PSU cables and remove it from the chassis. Remove the four tiny screws holding the case together and slit any "seals" on the seams. When it's opened up, you can use a bigger screwdriver to unscrew the four screws on the fan.

If it's soldered to the board, clip & splice the new one in. If it's a plug-in model, that's easy.

In any case, if you splice, don't just wrap some electrician's tape around the splices. Either use splice buttons, butt splices or wrap the splice in a couple layers of silicone tape to shield them.

Put it all back together and there you go. You won't get fried if the capacitors are discharged. Some people say you should remove power to the PSU and let it sit for about a day. That's good advice if you have time to wait.
>>
>>906783
So not familiar with soldering irons then..?

"I cannot solder" =/= "not a serviceable component"
>>
>>906799
It's literally written on the box, and op should know that it's likely soldered to the board so he can consider if he's gonna get a soldering iron or if he's confident in his skills to do this.

Sage for retarded fucking pedants.
>>
>>906799
With mains voltage and higher, if you're capable of doing any sort of servicing safely you already know it and don't need to ask. If you're asking about it on a message board full of furries, you're not capable of it. What's so hard to understand about that? Those warnings are for average people, and the average person is pretty dumb.
>>
>>906783
The fans are not "soldered to the board"

The fans are soldered to some wires which are soldered to the board.

There is nothing, other than massive idiocy, preventing you from using crimps, wire nuts, or choccy block.
>>
>>906846
It says that on Playstations too.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.