[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /diy/ I figure this is as good a place as any to post and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 14

File: 00B0B_bKgUdNhMWHT_600x450.jpg (11KB, 362x450px) Image search: [Google]
00B0B_bKgUdNhMWHT_600x450.jpg
11KB, 362x450px
Sup /diy/

I figure this is as good a place as any to post and ask this, seeing as we don't have a Home and Garden board. I'm moving into a 536 square-foot studio on January 30th. I also have the option of living with a few friends of mine, but I'm kind of in the "I'd rather live alone" mood. Do you guys have any tips or things you would do to make a studio seem more like a 1 bedroom? Any particular type of room-dividers or things with multi-purposes? I'm looking into buying a bed that also has storage on the bottom, to condense more into less. Anything I should think about before moving?
>>
File: 00B0B_992ymeKTdzH_600x450.jpg (29KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
00B0B_992ymeKTdzH_600x450.jpg
29KB, 600x400px
>>906428
This is a picture of the actual studio. I had the idea to buy an entertainment system, and sat it up in a way to where it seems like a wall, with the bed on the other side, somewhat out of site. Then on the other side of the entertainment system, have a futon and coffee table.
>>
>>906428
Now going to post a few pics I've ran across with my ideas in mind.
>>
>>906430

Just any tips/ideas on how to make less, more.
>>
>>906428
do you own this place or are you renting

if you own the place you can just put up screen walls
>>
Consider a folding bed. One of those big ones that lever up into a closet.

They safe lots of space, and if you get a decent model its as comfy and easy to use as a normal bed. And it makes a huge difference to the feel of a room if there isnĀ“t a visible bed in there during the day.
>>
>>906467
Murphy bed

I had a studio OP. It was a bit bigger than the plan you posted. I built a bed frame for my full size bed that had a book case attached to the left hand side. And the whole thing was tucked into the corner of the apartment. I installed a rod between the wall and bookcase at the foot of the bed to hold up a curtain to enclose the bed space.

The back of the bookcase had some shelves and nooks plus a reading lamp on an arm. There was also an arm for a small tv to swing out.
>>
File: fs04_sleeping_aerial.jpg (79KB, 680x420px) Image search: [Google]
fs04_sleeping_aerial.jpg
79KB, 680x420px
>>906430
>>906431
These work because it's a long and narrow space it doesn't seem like it would work for you since you have a more square-ish main space, How involved do you want to make this project?

By the layout you have (balcony in front of main space) An alternative to the murphy bed idea
might be something like the pull out bed solution in this video (the rest might be too extreme so feel free to ignore it.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWaO5TJS00
>>
>>906688
>>
>>906690
>>
>>906428
inb4 IKEA, but you can get these thingies which are a single bed that turns into a double bed, and can be disguised as a chunky sofa. There's storage underneath so you can store the bed stuff when it's a sofa, and vice-versa.

Use a proper zip-together mattress. Transforming it all the time would be a pain in the arse.
>>
File: upholstered-daybed-mattress-o.jpg (90KB, 710x639px) Image search: [Google]
upholstered-daybed-mattress-o.jpg
90KB, 710x639px
day beds are the way to go, if you dont plan on sharing your bed a lot, as they are not double beds
>>
File: parsons-daybed-chocolate-c.jpg (38KB, 523x523px) Image search: [Google]
parsons-daybed-chocolate-c.jpg
38KB, 523x523px
>>906717
They can be stylish and used as a bed and a couch. You just can't be a slob if you are using a day bed and living in a studio.
>>
>>906694
That is a great idea.
>>
>>906440
I'll be renting.
>>
>>906644
That sounds like an awesome setup.

Got any pictures?

>>906694
Wow, that's an awesome idea. I just have no idea how to go about building something like that.
>>
>>906751
No, havent lived there for almost 8 years
>>
File: 1448574051622.png (167KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
1448574051622.png
167KB, 600x402px
>>906751
Looks like a pretty simple thing to build.
>>
I second the Murphy bed idea. If you look around on craigslist or similar places, you might find one for relatively cheap. Murphies are an ideal solution for studio apartments.

I saw one somewhere that had a fold-out desk under the bed, so when it was upright, you could have a work space or breakfast table or whatever. People do all kinds of stuff with those beds.
>>
>>906428
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Any other things I've missed or that would work well? Any types of furniture you'd suggest to make use of space and still have the appearance of spacious? I've been looking into more things that have multiple functions. The Murphy bed was a great idea suggested by >>906710
>>906797

I don't think I've ever seen a day bed in person, but how comfy is that for one person? And if I have company, how comfy for two people?>>906717
>>
>>906428
Bumping with more studio ideas
>>
>>906912
>>
Get a baby grand piano, a small wet bar, and a futon......after you bring a girl home, play some sweet piano music and make her a drink.......fold out the futon and........you know. Fucking Gold.
>>
>>906717
>>906710
The one from IKEA is a double bed.

>how comfy is that for one person?
Fine and dandy. It's a little narrow, but that's not space you'll actually need unless you are literally a meter across.
>And if I have company, how comfy for two people?
That depends on how good your mattresses are. You'll want the very best mattresses money can buy, as a matched set that zips together.

If they're cheap mattresses, you'll feel every single slat in the bed.

If they don't zip together, in the middle of the night they'll slide apart and make a hole exactly where one of you'll want to be, and then you'll fall in it.
>>
>>906694
>>906690
I did this in college. Our single rooms were half size rooms (the four towers at ndsu). It worked great to hide the bed and sit on the platform
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.