[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any simple solutions for people who don't spend money on heating?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: heh.jpg (10KB, 276x182px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
10KB, 276x182px
Any simple solutions for people who don't spend money on heating?
>>
>>905369
wear more clothes
>>
File: 1448286408942.jpg (99KB, 687x543px) Image search: [Google]
1448286408942.jpg
99KB, 687x543px
make one of these and sit in the middle
>>
http://permaculturenews.org/2010/01/11/free-hot-water-from-compost-wheelie-bin/
>>
>>905369
fire
>>
Spend money on insulation.
>>
Make sure you're attic is well insulated. Literally stuff it with newspaper If you're too cheap.
Also make sure your windows are properly sealed.
Finally wear thick socks; your feet is what keeps you worm. No I'm not talking about it literally but your brain perceives yourself as wormer if your feet are covered
>>
Live in a modern high rise apartment. Only one out of six sides is exposed to heat loss outdoors, and you'll gain enough heat from your neighbors that you won't freeze. Bonus points if your neighbors are elderly, they tend to set their thermostat really high.
>>
Pellet, wood, or coal stove hooked up to a heat exchanger of some sort of pump. Free or dirt cheap boiler system depending on how you acquire wood or coal.
>>
Dig your own coal
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296355/Peggys-Mine-Coal-extracted-garden-semi-detached-house.html
>>
>>905847
What a guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4VllMmsPf0
>>
Not OP but I just bought a pretty old house and it's drafty because the previous owner didn't weatherize for shit.

I've already got a caulk gun and I'm going to hit it this weekend. Also need to put in base boards so I'll probably get that expanding insulation foam stuff, spray it in the gaps, then put the baseboard over that. Also going to install weather stripping and a sweep on the front door (which currently has absolutely NO stripping on it whatsoever, you can clearly see daylight on all four edges.

I'm a cheap motherfucker myself so I'm hoping that plugging up all the holes will do me well enough that I don't need to run the electric heater. It came with a pellet stove and I have a source of free fuel for that so I want to get away with running that a little each evening and getting by on that and body heat.
>>
start a grow op
>>
electric blankets for the bed, couch, and computer chair.

It is much more energy and cost efficient to heat your self directly. Then it is to heat up a a large volume of air.
>>
>>905369
There's usually an area nearby where you can get a fire wood permit and cut a tree down in the national forest. You gotta do everything yourself but you can have a reasonable amount of wood for a large badly insulated house for free
>>
>>905993
Also it's the wrong season for out, you would have to do it to prepare for next year, it would be too wet ti use this year
>>
>>905377
Honestly you expect me to go around indoors wearing wool, like some sort of man sheep?
>>
>>905369
Hawaiian music, and plenty of it.
>>
>>906117
Didn't see this coming! Made me crack.
>>
>>905369
Host some servers. If you can pull it off right they pay for themselves
>>
>>906117
Let the thorin embrace you friend.
>>
Save milk jugs , spray paint them black, fill them water then store them outside during the day. Bring them inside at night and they are like little heat batteries.
>>
>>906194
Only if you have good internet, or have access to good internet, are willing to invest a couple grand into equipment, and have at least above average computer skills.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
>>906117
>go around indoors wearing wool, like some sort of man sheep?

Wut? Does this $7,000 wool Brioni suit make my but look big, like a sheep?>>906117
>>
>>905369
you have to spend money on parts and if you need additional labor, but research this and find someone who has some old "mother earth" magazines from the 70's

research:
biomass- heat from the breakdown of organic matter when in a sealed system gives of usable methane

fernette heater- a friction heater with 2 cylindrical drums powered by something to make one spin while the other is stationary.

solar heater- using sunlight to warm up either a liquid or air

just to name a few, yeah it costs money up front and some require space, but its cheaper than just electricity, fuel oil, gas, or coal, and not as back breaking as wood if you do everything yourself.
>>
>>905369
move to australia
>>
>>906335
It makes you look poor, it's not even tweed.
If you're going to spend decent money on a suit at least get a decent suit.
>>
>>906117
What's wrong with that? It's not like you're gonna have friends over.
>>
Use old computers to heat your home
A computer nearly turns all consumed energy to heat
Maybe you could build an bit coin miner that produces more money from bit coins then consumed electricity
>>
Saw an image somewhere describing this:

>Prop up a clay/ terracotta flower pot upside down a few inches from the ground on some tiles

>Light a bunch of tealight candles under the pot

> The pot will radiate the heat and heat up the room

Not sure if it actually works as I never tried it, although my room is cold as shit so might try it
>>
>>906481
>what is thermodynamics
>>
>>906481
I've heard this a lot but the more I research it, the more I hear that it doesn't work nearly as well as it's perceived to. Probably because of "real world" conditions instead of favorable (well-insulated, small room) ones
>>
>>905369

Sweater.
>>
>>905392
>Literally stuff it with newspaper
what is a "fire hazard" for 400
>>
>>905369
>people who don't spend money on heating?
Prepare to be cold. Winter is coming.
>>
>>905369
I live on a bad side of town and it's pretty common for people to turn their oven on and leave its door open to heat their house if they don't have kids or pets.
>>
>>907098
Its because its a fucking waste of money. Paraffin wax has a combustion energy output of 42kj/g.

You can get 10lbs of paraffin for $15+shipping. That yeilds ~53kwh of heat. Or about 35cents per kwh, already double that of electric rates without accounting for shipping.

My boyfriend and I keep our house cool in winter.

We have plenty of blankets around the house, tall shearling slippers, fuzzy fleece pajama bottoms and tops, and electric throws for the couch and sofa, and blanket for the bed.

I also have a down comforter I paid a pretty penny for from Feathered Friends that really keeps the heat from the electric blanket and us trapped.
>>
>>905369

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
>>
File: ToTheMoon.jpg (29KB, 767x333px) Image search: [Google]
ToTheMoon.jpg
29KB, 767x333px
>>906477
>build an bit coin miner that produces more money from bit coins then consumed electricity

..thats literally the first mention of Bitcoin I've seen in an age.. thought it had died altogether and went to Internet Scam Hall-o-Fame Heaven, long time back.
>>
File: y9-.png (122KB, 654x1445px) Image search: [Google]
y9-.png
122KB, 654x1445px
>>905369
Warm yourself before warming your environment:

-Eat warm foods and cook them in your own home.
-Wear warm clothing and use blankets.
-Weatherize your home/apartment/room; use caulking, spray in foam insulation, weather stripping, extra insulation.
-Winterize your home/apartment/room; use window film plastic, insulate water pipes, scavenge waste heat from all sources.
-Isolate your living area from the rest of your home/apartment. Only heat it and keep it insulated (make sure water pipes are kept from freezing).
-Use ceiling fans to keep the air moving so it doesn't get lost quickly through the ceiling.

Once you've done everything you can to keep you and your immediate environment warm, start using an additional heat sources. For myself, everything is super insulated, weatherized, and winterized. The heating unit that keeps the water pipes thawed downstairs keeps the upstairs very warm through the floor. I rarely need to use extra heating upstairs in my living space because there's no insulation between the two floors, specifically for that purpose. I only fire up a heater when the temps outside reach about -10F/-23C.
>>
Go to a thrift store on a sale day.
Buy a coat.
>>
>>905396

I used to do this. Actually had to turn my AC on during the winter a few times because my neighbors kept their house so hot. It was very nice though.
>>
Wear winter clothes inside, gloves, jackets and so on.
It's a bitch but it can be done.
>>
>>908061
I do and my daughter use to complain I'm cold and my response was put on another sweater/coat. Once when she had a sleepover the home was toasty warm , but when they fell asleep I turned the heater off, and the next morning the kids said they were cold. My monthly electric bill is 30$.
>>
>>908116
Same here $30-$40 depending on a few variable. When my exgf lived with me it was over $200 a month. She was always like, "Why aren't you paying the electric bill, we should be splitting it." I always paid $50 back then.
>>
Buy cheapest,crappiest video card you can find. Run fallout 4 on ultra.
>>
>>906335
>paying 7 grand for a suit
>not getting it custom tailored
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.