[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First computer build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (10KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 200x252px
After poking around a little bit a few users on other sites told me that /diy/ was a good spot to have my first try at a pc build reviewed.

So here goes.

I gave myself a budget of $1500 for the actual build to get it going.

I came in just under that goal, and decided to add a backup storage and some new speakers, as my old speakers are simple stock speakers that came with my last pre-built purchase. This brought me up to slightly above my $1500 budget, but I don't mind that at all.

What I'm really looking for is a critique on the parts.

Is there a part that fares significantly better for slightly more? Please tell me.

Is there a comparable part that costs less and gets the same job done? Please tell me.

My head is honestly swimming with the large amount of information I'm throwing at it, and a little nudge in the right direction is welcome.
>>
pcpartpicker
p/8cc2P6
>>
>>905049
>After poking around a little bit a few users on other sites told me that /diy/ was a good spot to have my first try at a pc build reviewed.

While true, there will be one guy who tells you to go to /g/, he is in every single one of these threads.
Ill preemptively point him to the >>>/g/ sticky that says
>/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

Also give people some time, slow ass board
>>
>>905051
What are you going to do with your PC?

Thats a pretty dreadful video card in comparison to the rest of the build.
>>
>>905052
I saw that, right before I posted this, and came here instead, haha.

Thanks for preempting that for me.

>>905053
This is the feedback I need. Gaming rig, possible overclock/RAID in future.

How is the card bad, I'm not familiar.
>>
>>905055
>pcpartpicker
>p/8cc2P6

Hey OP,

The power supply is a little over your wattage, realistically. The most you need is a 750 even with a more powerful powersupply, and thing more is wasted wattage / totally unncessary. I'm using a 650w powersupply for 5 years and i have a more powerful PC than yours.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051 is a good one without much cost, and it's STILL modular. This one will do fine, unless you care about the pennies you save from having a gold plus power supply. You can read the reviews if you want to know more, but the one you picked is just overkill honestly.

The minimum GPU you're going to want to go with if you want to be able to play all of todays games and then some is a gtx 970. To put it in comparison, a popular current gen game is Dying light, which recommends a 780 to play. A 950 performs worse than that, so you're already setting yourself up below current gen standards. Nvidia numbers their cards as the first number is the generation (IE 560, 660, 760, etc.) and the second number is where it falls in terms of performance essentially. Since there is strides made in each generation, a 560 is worse than a 660, but a 570 might perform similuar to a 660. 970 is a fine card for what you're looking to do.

I'd personally recommend switching the seagate harddrive to a Western digital black - i don't know if you really need 3tb (that's up for you to decide) but Western Digital typically has a history of better performance - there's longer manufact. warranties on them too, which speaks to how much they stand behind the product.

I don't know if you really need a DVD writer, make sure your case even has space for one. I just got a new case and there isn't even a spot for a dvd drive. I haven't used a dvd drive in 4 years.

Hope this helps
>>
>>905055
> Gaming rig
>How is the card bad, I'm not familiar.

Video card is the single most important thing in a gaming rig.
You have a literal shit card chosen.

It wont even max Fallout 4

Change your Case to a ~80$ case
Change your PSU to a ~100$ PSU
Get rid of your external HD, your speakers, and pirate windows.
Thats 300$ right there
Maybe find a cheaper mobo

There you go, you can now afford to buy a GTX 980 and stay within budget and itll be a real gaming rig.
>>
>>905051
Buy a Samsung Evo 850 SSD, and dont buy shitty Seagate
>>
>>905064
Anon, that's his harddrive besides his SSD. This is not good advise either, it looks like OP is looking for reasons.

OP, the post above regarding the HD is a good post, and for your SSD, the crcucials are perfect. The samsung evo's are also excellent ssd's. I'd recommend aiming for a 500g personally, as they really do make a big difference.
>>
>>905060
Thanks, this is a lot of good information.

I see your point on the wattage. I'd only be usage at tops 400 or so with the build there.

If I step down to 650w do you think I would run into problems with overclocking or a RAID setup if I attempted one?

The GPU makes more sense now that you state it that way. Thanks for that.

I've heard a lot about the Seagate products failing. I have a Western digital backup portable that carries 1TB, maybe I'll just format it and use that instead, and save some scratch.

As for the optical drive I have a lot of old media I like to access from time to time. Thought it might be useful for my older media. Is their a reasonable alternative to the optical for that?

Also, is the cooling set-up overkill, since I'm hearing that I should step down on the power supply?

I appreciate the feedback.
>>
>>905066
Im not saying to replace his platter drive with an SSD, im saying that the Samsung whoops Crucials in speed and reliability, and that seagate makes awful platter drives.
>>
>>905067
A strong card like a GTX 980 plus your chosen I7 will draw nearly 450 watts at 100% load.
You do want some headroom. Overclocking and raid will be even higher.

A 650w leaves ~30% headroom at full load which is alright, but it certainly wont hurt anything to buy something bigger.
>>
>>905067
You could step down to 650w, but in theory the 750 would future proof you a lot better. It would cover a 970 SLI setup(barely) and i don't know the wattage use of a i7 vs an i5, which is my setup.

650w would probably be fine ,but sometimes it's tough to find nice modular versions of it.

970 or 980 is minimum gpu i'd go with, but of course the 980 would be better if you could make the stretch. I'd make sure you take a HDD that's western digital over seagate, regardless.

The cooling is fine for overclocking, you knew know how hot it will get when you're experimenting, rather safe than sorry - it will be quiet with the setup you've got there (and cleaner, less fans = less dust build up).

Optical drive is fine, they are all old junkers really. As another anon said, your case is probably overkill in terms of what it includes, you could consider going cheaper. I will find a nice case and send it your way, stand by.
>>
>>905067
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&ignorebbr=1 is a GREAT case, lower cost, and look at the number of positive reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146087&ignorebbr=1
this is my case, but a bit flashy
>>
>>905067
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107&cm_re=seasonic_750w-_-17-151-107-_-Product
>>
>>905063
>>905064
>>905066
>>905066
>>905068
>>905072
>>905073
>>905075

Thank you all, sropped the case down to one I still like that has lots of space so I can get in there somewhat easily.

Changed out the Seagates for samsung HD and SSD.

Dropped speakers, I'll look at those later.

Dropped PSU to 750, I'm more comfortable going a little over than under for when I clock/RAID.

Now, what are thoughts on RAM and Processor?

You all are amazing.
>>
>>905079
>905079
The processor is totally overkill for any game you'll ever play currently, unless you're specifically trying to push a game to 4k / 1440p @ 144fps / streaming. In otherwords, it's perfect. You won't have any issues with any game. You really don't even need to overclock it, even a little bit.

The ram is fine, i don't know how much RAM speeds effect most thing gaming, i think most users are still going with 1600 / 1833 DESU. I don't have a brand preference on RAM, it's cheap and inexpensive in terms of everything you do on the PC. I personally have a set of EVGA 8gx2sticks @ 1600 I think. Cheap stuff, it's not that big of a deal as long as you're at 16 IMO.
>>
>>905079
One question.

My current case only does one 2.5 internal.

How much of a problem will that be in the future?
>>
>>905081
Not a lot, you can get 3.5 to 2.5 converters
2.5 is for your SSD, 3.5 will be your platter HDD
>>
>>905081
can you link the case?

You should note that 2.5 is the size of an SSD and 3.5 is the size of an HDD, usually there is brackets (or you can get brackets) to mount the HDD / SSD. My case personally came with 2 mounts for the SSD's and i had to buy some little plastic deals to mount the HDD, otherwise it would jsut be sitting in there.
>>
>>905080
Thank you. Processor is so that I can just keep it longer as games develop. Hoping to not need a replacement anytime soon.

Yeah, my understanding is that with a decent graphics card you are mostly set.

Which I forgot to ask an opinion for: So how is the graphics card now?
>>
>>905084
Did you update it ? Or are you still going with the 950? The 950 will run into issues maxing out current gen games. I think even final fantasy 14, an MMO, will struggle in raids with a 950. And that's not exactly pushing the graphics side of things.
>>
>>905083
>>905082
Thank you, I won't be running but one SSD, which I'll just upgrade later. Appreciate the feedback.
>>
>>905049
>6-core cpu is too much for strictly gaming. Go for the new skylake 4 cores. They have stronger single core performance for gaming. DX12 is still very new and won't saturate the market for a while.
>All-in-one liquid cooler is fine. A double rad would be better. Consider air cooling. Air cooling can be cheaper and is less prone to fail.
>Mobo is ok, could be better but it's fine.
>Memory is fine, but it's low profile with a All-in-one cooler. If you stick with the AIO then consider going for taller heat spreaders
>Seagate HDD are kinda trash but cheap, Crucial is ok but there is better. For the SSD consider Samsung, Corsair, Kingston's Hyper X line, A-Data, Crucial, Intel. For HDD's personally I usually just stick with Western Digital but I hear good things about Hitachi as well.
>GPU is trash for gaming on this budget. For Nvidia consider a 970 or higher. For AMD like a 390 or better.
>Corsair makes great cases, but consider that you picked a full tower case and those are GINORMOUS as fuck. Midtower cases would probably suit you more.
>I only trust Corsair and Seasonic for PSU's but dude for one GPU card 860w is massive overkill. I have a similar setup and i run a 650w and THAT's still overkill. You can get away with 500w on this build and be fine just the PSU will be running closer to max.
>Windows 7, I'm pretty sure Microsoft is forcing everyone to upgrade to Windows 10 at this point so might as well go for 10 imo.
>Those speakers, personally speaking i say stick with the cheap speakers you have and get a good pair of headphones and mic separately for a superior audio experience.

Basically if your head's swimming around you need to ask yourself this. What does this component do and why is it important. You answer those questions and that'll help you understand most stuff.
>>
>>905086
Yes, this is the new card.

Is it okay for the pricing?

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5
>>
>>905089
yes, that's fine and fine. It's how much I spent. I think I've got an EVGA, though.
>>
>>905089
>Thank you. Processor is so that I can just keep it longer as games develop. Hoping to not need a replacement anytime soon.

if you want video gaming future proofing, much better off buying into a higher end video card.
970 is fine, but preferable to go 980, or 980ti

At your budget, there is no reason not to cut prices elsewhere and buy a flagship big boy video card.
>>
>>905091
This is also true. The 970 is likely to need an upgrade in 2 years at least to keep up with current gen games assuming you stream or do anything "intensive"
>>
>>905088
>Noted, thank you.
>How much more noise can I expect from air-cooling?
>Input on better mobo appreciated.
>Kinda new to this all, this kind of went over my head.
>Done and done. Seagate replaced with Samsung SD and Crucial also.
>Went with GE 970, good choice?
>Noted, definitely will find a good mid instead.
>I stepped down to 750, because I plan on clocking or raid.
>I've found a copy of Windows. Friend is setting me up with a copy of 7 for now.
>Will use my old stock speaks
>>
>>905090
>>905091
Noted, so it's fine to step down to quad core and upgrade to 980ti.

Same price for a better result?
>>
>>905095
I think so. I agree with him in terms of 6 core isn't utilized in gaming much, if at all. I didn't realize you had picked up a 6 core, I thought it was 4 :)
>>
>>905096
Sweet, I love you guys.
>>
>>905096
>>905095
While we are on the subject, what about SLI?
>>
>>905094
Noise, it's hard to say. For me, noise doesn't matter, i wear headphones and have a fan on. It's just louder, is all. Cooling is near silent. bit more to manage. True computer enthusiasts go liquid.
>>
>>905099
I don't have the luxury of being able to always use headphones, so it makes a difference to me. Have to listen out for my daughter. Liquid is is.
>>
>>905098
SLI i avoid like the plague. Sure, it's a neat thing, but a lot of games don't support it or doens't support it properly. I used to SLI back in the 8800gtx days and I turned it off half the time, even playing something like WoW, because SLI actually lowered performance. I think most people go single card for easier, low thought "it works".
>>
>>905098
If you have a single strong card, its overkill for 4K and high filters.
Its also pain in the ass and has a lot of problems in a lot of games

>>905100
Those all in one liquid coolers tend to have really noisy fans, and the pumps can be pretty noisy.
>>
>>905102
Hmm, i think you and i have tried different coolers, mine were always quiet :D
>>
>>905101
>>905102
Ok, good to know. I don't feel like troubleshooting all the time.

>>905102
Uh oh, hope it's not, I need quiet.
>>
>>905105
Really these are very quiet things, as loud as a laptop anyways. You'll be ok.
>>
>>905106
Ok, cool. Hoping this build looks better.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TKCalico/saved/RdXwrH
>>
>>905094
So air cooling. If quiet is what you're going for there's definitely options. First of all any heatsink you buy can be loud. Liquid coolers have pumps and fans on the radiators and when the go fast they can get loud. Air cooling gets loud when the fans ramp up. Having said that for air cooling Noctua makes great quiet stuff, buuut they're come at a price premium too. Like $20+ a fan premium. Worth it, but pricey.

Mobo's are tricky. Pretty much what you look for in a mobo is does it have the features on it that i want? So if you plan on overclocking does the mobo have quality components on it like good phase design, heatspreaders, all japanese capacitors to support overclocking. I suck at OC'ing and just stick with the automatic OC'ing does your mobo have a good UEFI to help with that? That's why I say look at what you're going to do then fit the mobo with that. Brands to look at are Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and ASRock. Asus is top shelf generally, ASRock makes inexpensive feature packed boards, Gigabyte and MSI are good competition.

So memory went over your head. So I mentioned you got low profile memory. Basically it means literally the memory stick is smaller than normal. Memory sticks have heat spreaders on top to...help with heat. This makes the stick physically taller and they can have complications with certain CPU coolers. If you use a Liquid cooler you're going to want those taller heat spreaders because there's no air flow from the CPU fans to help with the heat. Conversely if you have an Air cooler with those fans you might want lower profile memory so they don't collide with each other.

Hard drives good. But you should still try to understand why people pick those instead of going with the flow. I don't like Seagate stuff because they have high failure rates. Especially on their 3tb drives. Just check their Amazon page for the drive. Samsung has a strong following for the SSD's because they're fast as hell and they're competitively priced.
>>
>>905108
Use this processor anon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

You can't use that processor you got for gaming.

Also you'll have to find a mobo that fits this processor, but i will find one for you soon. Use this processor though.
>>
>>905103
Corsair AIO coolers are notorious for being loud.
They ship out with the crappiest fans that WILL need replaced with a decent fan if you want silence. Thats another 20 bucks, then you have the pump noise that wont go away.

It literally isnt quieter than something like an Evo 212, and doesnt cool any better.

They are kind of a gimmick for people just so they can say "Its liquid cooled", because they dont have any of the pros from real liquid cooling.

>>905106
Decent air coolers arent loud either
>>
>>905109

970 is fine, be aware of the 3.5 GB of VRAM instead of the 4GB advertised.

For cases, honestly it's subject to your taste for looks. Just look for stuff that you may need like in your example you will need a 5.25" drive bay for the CD writer. Other things to look for are Noise dampening (Fractal Design's Define R5 for example), HDD space (maybe you want a shit load of drives), aesthetics, water cooling support, a window, etc.

Also here's a build I threw together to illustrate what I'm talking about.
>>
>>905112
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FJptZL

helps if i put a link
>>
>>905103
I have an H105 with NF-F12's and I can hear the pump over the fans when I play witcher 3 at times
>>
>>905110
>>905108
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132287&cm_re=lga1150-_-13-132-287-_-Product

Here's a mobo to use, you can spend more for more things, i guess, i think it's fine for you.

if you want a nicer one with more over clock options or w/e idk you can use this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132507&cm_re=lga1150-_-13-132-507-_-Product
>>
>>905113
Thing about this is that the i7 you have set for MC, and if he doesn't have one, that's 50$ more on newegg, The HDD is a 5400 rpm , you want 7200 minimum if you do any kind of gaming or regular usage.

The rest is really good, including the RAM op. You should take a look at this for suggesstions.
>>
>>905116
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132287&cm_re=lga1150-_-13-132-287-_-Product

Thank you, using the suggestion you layed out I found something of a good middle ground.

Actually ended up being the same one suggested here:>>905113
>>
>>905122
Yes, that one is good, as long as it's lga 1150 for the i7 4790k
>>
>>905122
Currently at this:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rkqcwP
>>
>>905124
Anon, this is perfect. I think you will be very happy with this PC.
>>
>>905126
Yay! You guys/gals are amazing. And I even found a green mid-range case I like. I did change the liquid cooler for air in light of the fact that I didn't realize that the fan would help the ram, also.

If I need more cooling I can rig another fan, yeah?
>>
>>905129
Most cases can fit like 3-4 fans. You're fine on cooling i promise.
>>
>>905130
Great, then I'm golden.

Last question. Should I wait to buy the parts, since we are close to Black Friday?

Or should I attempt to buy all parts separate and hope to shave even more $$ off?
>>
>>905129
Your video card has axial fans so make sure your big side fan blows OUT when you get it.

The front blows in and the back blows out. And if you really wanted to get another fan, itd be to the top back, have it blow up and out of the case.
>>
>>905132
Cyber monday may have some deals. It's up to you anon, I don't know what kind of deals are coming up :)

I'm going to bed, good night.
>>
>>905134
>>905133
I appreciate everything, thank you so much.

Noted with the fans, good looking out.
>>
>>905049
Personally, id wait for next year because the new pcs are getting instruction set extensions and amd rehired their chief architect who actuqlly made the company competitive with intel back in the day. I woyld also wait for a range of shit to standardize. Like the m2 ssds which are getting faster weekly. Also the real ddr4 speeds to arrive. The current 3200mhz ram is shit tier compared to what will come. Also ddr4 price drops.
>>
>>905137
Interesting point, thank you.

Unrelated question - If I'm getting a dedicated vid card but the CPU has IG is that a waste?

Or if the parts are reasonable it doesn't really matter?
>>
>>905141
>If I'm getting a dedicated vid card but the CPU has IG is that a waste?

Yes, but pretty much all intel processors have them
Your mobo probably wont even have onboard video outputs to utilize it
>>
>>905148
Mkay, thank you.

Well, it's time this thread died.

Thank you all!
>>
>>905067
Lots of portables nowadays have a USB interface right on the drive, so you can't shuck them and stick them in your PC.

Well I guess you can, but they'll still be USB and the PC will still think they're removable.
>>
So is diy the new /g/?
>>
>>905210
No.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.