[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ i just smashed my phone, a brand new nokia lumia. It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: Cat s40.jpg (88KB, 515x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cat s40.jpg
88KB, 515x1000px
Hey /diy/
i just smashed my phone, a brand new nokia lumia.
It dropped flat on the back and caught fire because of the battery.
So that's beyond repair i guess.

This made me realise that smartphones are not cut out for me, especially since i do construction work and always carry my phone around.

So i was thinking about buying a CAT S40,
Is there anyone here that has one of these phones?
What is your opinion about one of these?
Is it actually as strong as they say it is?
Can it atleast run whatsapp smoothly? etc
>>
I had a heavy duty flip phone once, it broke in 3 months, the hole that held the peg wore out and the screen came off. Otherwise it was Mich more durable than other flip phones I had. There was absolutely no other physical damage after big dropped many times.
>>
>>904686
>dropped my phone and it caught fire

Yeah fuck off
How is this even /DIY/ related
>>
>>904693
Because the phone in pic related is very comon with construction workers.
>>
>>904694
So...
Still doesn't make this any more /DIY/ related

If you need advise for picking a cellphone go to an AT&T store.

Alternatively, try a nice cup of an hero for your sheer stupidity
>>
>>904698
Shut the fuck up, i am looking for opinions on this phone, this board contains a lot of construction/trade workers who have a phone like this.
If you dont like my thread, feel free to hide it.
Stop posting shit like that, if you want to shitpost just go to /b/ you mong.
>>
I had this phone and as much it looks like a heavy duty phone the build quality is garbage, and I really mean garbage. the buttons have a lot of play and the feat back is non existant so you cant really tell if you pressed it or not. The outdoor readability is bad. A lot of glare. Ad a very shitty performance since it is 3th party android at the experience is shit.
My advice is get a regular phone, from one of big names and put a really strong armored case on it. The ebay is full of them
>>
>>904698
buddy, chill. If someone wants the opinion of a certain kind of person, eg. construction workers, they'll go to the board where that type of person is likely to frequent.
If he goes to /g/ with this thread they'll start circlejerking over whatever is popular with them right now.
>>
>>904686
>nokia lumina
Thats your problem. Buy a non-garbage phone and that shit wont happen. An iphone in an otterbox case is practically indestructible.
>>
>>904734
Oh yea. Forgot to mention i have an iphone and i work in an iron foundry, makes your construction sites look like the day care my kids go to, and my phone has taken a hell of a lot more abuse than dropping it. It only has a few scratches to show for it. Get a good phone and a good case and youre golden.
>>
>>904734
>a non-garbage phone
>An iphone
Well ok there buddy.
>>
>>904734
Take your shity troling back to /g/
>>
File: yellow is good right.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
yellow is good right.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>904686
Oops.

Caterpillar's old phones are actually good, and they're seriously rugged, but their insides make Fred Flintstone look like an early adopter. On the plus side, you can use them as a football. A Caterpillar phone with a touchscreen? I'd run a mile.

Get an iPhone and a nice case. The giant aluminum/gorilla-glass cases from Hong Kong are all pretty similar in performance; pick the one you think looks nicest.

If it's waterproofing and not shockproofing you need, get a Catalyst. They're slim, light, still kinda shockproof, and waterproof to 10m.

I guarantee you an iPhone in a big fuckoff case will be better and more rugged than some landfill-Android guts with some tacticool styling made by a company that makes shoes and tractors.
>>
>>904757
>tacticool styling made by a company that makes shoes and tractors.
I laughed.

Allright i kinda got that from everyone here.

Now im considering buying a galaxy s5 active, slap a strong case on it instead of buying a catt phone.

I dont really like iphones, but i cant find a s5 case that protects the glass
>>
File: RAeF8i8[1].jpg (27KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
RAeF8i8[1].jpg
27KB, 560x315px
>>904762
>i cant find a s5 case that protects the glass
You didn't look very hard.

http://www.r-just.com/e/action/ListInfo/?classid=36
http://www.r-just.com/e/action/ListInfo/?classid=64

No endorsement, just the first manufacturer I found.
>>
>>904750
>>904756
Ok, because a full aluminum construction, wrapped in a case tested by dropping it off 3 story buildings, is somehow going to be less durable than a platic phone that bursts into flames when dropped? Ive dropped my iphone 20+ feet where it bounced off a piece of angle iron and continue to fall down into the sand system conveyor belts where i work. Luckily the tramp iron sepeator magnet (a giant fucking electro magnet) pulled it out of the sand and threw it into a bin filled with jagged chunks of iron. Thats where i found it, with pieces of sharp iron all around it, and being dropped on top of it, still working. I still have that same iphone and im posting from it now. Im not trolling or some iphone fanboy, i know from experience its more durable than most "work duty" phones if you get a decent case for it.
>>
>>904757
>Caterpillar phone with a touchscreen? I'd run a mile.
>id run a mile

Im not english, what does this phrase mean?
>>
>>904797
It means that it is something he wouldn't want to purchase, it would be undesirable.
>>
>>904796
and I had the Lumia 920 that I never babysit never had case on it, drop it god knows how many times on the asphalt. And other than dents in housing it worked like first day.
>>
>>904817
The story in my last post of my iphone in a case is arguably more impressive. Even more so when you consider i can take the case off and there is no noticeable damage to the phone itself.
>>
>>904817
Pretty weird that i drop my lumia 830 once and it nearly burned my house down.
>>
>>904822
Yeah, it's wild. I dropped my house on my lumia icon the other day and my house cracked. Then my phone burned down. Off to the phone store to get an android so I can install 38 copies of angry birds!
>>
>>904686
i have an android s5 active and ive fumbled it several times, its pretty hardy, but id get an otterbox for it if i was working construction
>>
any phone + ruggedized case. ez.
>>
>>904686
Droid Turbo 2
>>
Samsung s4 active, or a different phone with a really chunky case like an otterbox.
>>
>>904736
>iphone
>durable
>bends from the tension of faggots' skinny jeans
>>
>>904686
I have a HTC M9 and an otterbox. I work on site. Dropped many times from towers or scissors. Still all fine.
>>
Ye
>>
File: 1436774618023.jpg (25KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
1436774618023.jpg
25KB, 500x497px
>>904736
Poor bait.
>>
>>905198
Ive layed down and sat down on my iphone 6 and ive even layed on it specifically with the intention of relieving pressure from a corner or piece of angle iron im working near. Still hasnt bent. Call me a troll all you want, im the only one providing proof for my side of the arguement. Iphones in an otterbox are indestructible and ive witnessed proof of this first hand. If you dont want to believe me fine, enjoy your fisher price plastic phone.
>>
>>905311
>providing proof
>>
I own the S50 and I am talking on it right now. This phone is as powerful as it needs to be but is modest. the quad core is plenty. It is GSM only and the only drawback I am having is the speakers are not loud enough, but I am not ever in an instance where I can not hear my phone on my person or in the same room so I guess it serves its purpose. Get a screen protector though, cause the glass will eventually scratch up as they all do and you will be wanting to get the glass replaced which ruins the water seal. (Happened to my Cat B15Q) Overall its a great phone that lasts 2.5 days on a full charge with modest not heavy use. As with all Cat phones,
the bluetooth range is exceptionally long, yet the Cellular antenna lacks in gain.
>>
>>904686
I'm a construction worker. Some guys I've worked with have had the purpose-built apocalypse flipphones, Ive always had a Galaxy with a case.

I had the Otterbox Defender(I think) case, the one with the rubber back and screen cover. Very nice case, glaring drawbacks were the two inexplicable holes in the screen protector for the speaker and center button (seriously, why). Water resistance wasn't such a huge issue because unless you have to answer texts in the rain, you dont really need it. Bigger issue was dust; after even a few days on the job the phone would fill up with dust.

Had the S6 with a Lifeproof case, no rubber back so it doesnt feel as impact-proof, but its fully water/dustproof and protects it from bumps and scrapes pretty well. The S6 is definitely not anything I'd call 'rugged' no matter what case you've got covering it, though.
>>
Moto Droid Turbo 2. Shatterproof, can handle being run over without breaking.
>>
>>905311
Aah. The power of anecdotal evidence!
>Phone without case breaks
>Muh phone in case doesn't break! Muh phone in case is STRRRROOOONGERRRRRRRRR than your caseless phone!
I try to feel your logic but the stupid is just too thick. Oh, well...
>>
I'd get the xcover from Samsung.
I had one for years when I worked in agriculture. It handled even all the literal shit.
>>
>>904701
Lifeproof case. Ive dropped my phone too many times to count with no worries. Seriously, how are you so dumb to work construction and not have a case on your smartphone
>>
i know two people who use cat phones for heavy work, the phones are though but a bit lacking in the software, it's not that model though but some older one
>>
>>906400
money to blow i guess.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.