[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/ is piece of shit and only talks about penny stocks and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 5312774_orig.jpg (100KB, 682x460px) Image search: [Google]
5312774_orig.jpg
100KB, 682x460px
/biz/ is piece of shit and only talks about penny stocks and bitcoin. Don't know where else to ask on 4chin

What is the real cost of building a home?

I inherited about 0.7 acres of land from my Great-Grandma and would like to have a house built on it. I have no skills so everything needed to be done would be contracted (besides painting I can paint).

I want a 1,500-1,800 square foot 3 bed 2 bath home. A "cookie cutter" layout that would be cheap to build like pic related. Would go with laminate/hardwood flooring throughout and tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. No fancy cabinets but would like them to be made of solid hardwood. No fancy crown molding or anything either. Just a basic house to move into and can make upgrades later on.

I've ran several different calculators I found on Google and I've gotten numbers ranging from $145K to $350K.

Pic related, similar floor plan I would like, except for the side door moved to back of the dining area, maybe a sliding/french glass door to a deck.
>>
>>904382
You just answered your question, 145k to 350k, depends on a lot of things, location, quality of your specs, design, how and when, etc
>>
Biggest factor is actually _where_ you're building it. In the Seattle area we're pushing no less than $100-150 per sq. ft. If you go to Eastern Washington near Idaho, these prices drop by about 40%.
Source: I'm building one now in western Washington. Prices are absurd.
>>
you could start with a mobile home if you wanted. use that towards buying a lot and starting a house. there are different routes to take just find which is best for you and how to do it the most cost efficient way once you have estimates.
>>
>>904396

Virginia area, between Richmond and Williamsburg. Any website where I can see average costs per area?

Also another question. Would it be generally cheaper to build a 1 story house with finished basement or a 2 story house with no basement?
>>
>>904417

Just Googled a home builder in your area.

Generally, turnkey costs will start at around $70 a square foot for a starter home in ideal conditions. An average level of finish will be more like $90-100. At $110-120 we are building a custom finish. At $150 a square foot, we have used many high end finishes and products (items like theaters, specialty flooring, custom appliances, custom outdoor living areas,etc..). Obviously, with price, the sky is the limit and you are bound only by your imagination and your budget. At $200 a foot, we are building products like you see illustrated in the nicest home building magazines and the wow factor is intense. In a cost-plus scenario, customers will tend to save 10-15% under the cost of a traditionally priced home. These costs are for the home only and do not include lot costs.

Also building a two story house would be cheaper than building a single story house of the same square footage, because the foundation would be smaller. And having a basement would be more cost efficient on heating and cooling than a second story.
>>
>>904382
no basement on an insulated slab with in-floor radiant heating, just use a garage kit.

Then finish the interior to your desires.
>>
Looks nice.

But, bedrooms 2 and 3 have no closets and I don't see an easy way to add them. Both are too small to shrink, especially the 10x10. I have a 9x9 and it is so small after adding a small need that you walk outside the room just to change your mind. He'll, when the dog goes in the, he has to wag his tail up and down instead of side to side.

There are some other options for that, like closets with hangers that hang at a 30 degree angle to keep depth requirements low.

Other little cramped spots in there too, like tiny hallway closet, matter closet oversized at the expense of screwing the other bedroom. And if you have cats where would a litter box go? Without extra cost space, only other spot would be the corner of the kitchen but that is visible to everyone while they eat and any guest entering through the front.
>>
>>904551
Disregard the closet remarks, I see them now, doh.
>>
>>904551
Also closet for coats and vacuums and shit close to the front door. Would be easy to box out a small cube
>>
File: 1350%20SQFT%20LFP.jpg (107KB, 1200x776px) Image search: [Google]
1350%20SQFT%20LFP.jpg
107KB, 1200x776px
>>904382
>>
>>904551
>like tiny hallway closet
Its probably a linen closet.

> screwing the other bedroom
10x12 is a good sized room. And you want the master to have a walk in closet in many cases. Some people wont buy a house without one.

>And if you have cats where would a litter box go?
Motherfucking cat can shit outside like 90% of cats do anyway. Not that I'm a fan of cats but I don't see the point in having the poor bastard under house arrest.

>>904568
I lived in a house with a floor plan like that. Its sucked. Every time someone ran the dishwasher there wasn't a single place in the house you could go to get away from the noise. Same deal with loud shit in the living room. Open floor plans are a crock. Best house I ever lived in from that perspective had the bedrooms on one side (3bed/2bath,hallway separating them), the living room and dinning room in the middle and the kitchen on the end. The garage/utilities/laundry was attached to the the backside of the kitchen (kind of L shaped house). Couldn't hear shit in the master or the second bedroom. Only a little in the third.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.