[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sata to USB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: s-l500[1].jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500[1].jpg
48KB, 500x500px
Hey /diy/, quick question here.

I need to connect a second 3.5" HDD to my cubieboard2 via USB (the only SATA port is already populated).

Power for the HDD is not an issue - I'll hook it up to a 5V/12V dual rail power supply, so I basically need the cheapest USB SATA controller I can get.

The catch is that all the crap on ebay has the combined data/power connector which is a no go because it's 5V only (no good for 3.5" drives).

Rewiring something like pic related seems like too much hassle for something that should be really simple.
>>
>>904329
sata cable to hdd
other end to controller
done
>>
File: 1411053697397.jpg (624KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1411053697397.jpg
624KB, 2048x1365px
>>904350
Can't believe I didn't think of that!
Thanks a million, anon.
>>
>>904329
there are connectors with TWO usb cables that, combined, power a 3.5"
>>
>>904358
I considered that option but figured it's neither smart nor efficient to route 5V through the tiny arm board and then convert up when I have a 12V source waiting at the ready.
>>
i'd do a bit of surgery on the USB board, slicing off any traces connecting to the +5 and +12 SATA pins, and soldering in 3 wires from the ext power supply: +5, +12, and joining the grounds.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (71KB, 801x798px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
71KB, 801x798px
While there's a thread up....
Can anyone ID this connector? Does it even have a name? 5 pin DINs have a different spacing.
>>
>>904370
Its probably customer for Hakko. This list the irons that work with that station in their manual. I'm sure you can pick up one on eBay or something.

http://www.nesselectronics.com/images/1/pdf/HAK936-12.pdf
>>
File: 1329281960745.jpg.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1329281960745.jpg.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
>>904372
>proprietary shit

figures...

problem is, I need the pokey bit receptacle not the pokey bit itself. Thanks for the manual tho.
>>
File: hirose.png (114KB, 873x663px) Image search: [Google]
hirose.png
114KB, 873x663px
>>904374

it's not necessarily proprietary. there are companies, like Hirose, which make a huge selection of odd connectors which are often impossible to find at any retailer.
>>
>>904370
There's lots of open-source soldering station projects for Hakko-compatible handles. Search for one that uses the connector and you'll get a part number.
>>
>>904450
The connector itself is a 5-pin DIN; the actual pinout will be proprietary as it's a soldering station, not an audio device...
>>
>>904361
>>904358
And anyway, they don't power a 3.5", because 3.5" drives actually need the 12v to power the spindle motor, and don't produce it themselves from the 5v rail because why would they when there's a perfectly good 12v rail available?

Even if you connected them up to a 5v nuclear power station, they still wouldn't work.
>>
>>904370
"DIN" means it's a standard defined by the German equivalent to ANSI, there are a fuckton more of them than MIDI connectors.
>>
>>904370
I'm new to this but can't you replace the current connector with a new connector from a different company and also replace the one on your handle? Maybe even remove the connectors and hard wire it?
>>
File: Din-Steckertypen.png (42KB, 335x291px) Image search: [Google]
Din-Steckertypen.png
42KB, 335x291px
>>904643
..as above anon noted, that is a standard connector - its 5-pin 240 deg DIN (more commonplace is the 180 degree 5-pin DIN, where degree is the 'sweep' - see Pic).

Used to get these (240° `s) a lot in old vcrs, but, you'll still find them everywhere, good quality would be Amphenol, for example - dont use the plastic crap variants for this, lifes too short.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.